Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We are averaging 25 points per game

chad72

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-game 

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-game?date=2023-02-13 (we averaged 17 points per game in 2022)

It is really impressive how Steichen has boosted the points per game production. We basically added Matt Gay and Josh Downs to last year's roster, folks, those are the only major additions I see.

WE ARE A TOP 10 OFFENSE!!! Let that sink in. :) 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, chad72 said:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-game?date=2023-02-13 (we averaged 17 points per game in 2022)

It is really impressive how Steichen has boosted the points per game production. We basically added Matt Gay and Josh Downs to last year's roster, folks, those are the only major additions I see.

It's also how we are getting those points that's impressive to me. 

It's not just the offense. The defense can score when needed, and as we saw the special teams unit still among the best in the league. Shane has the Colts playing as one cohesive unit. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

No, no, no…….it’s all smoke and mirrors. Our GM sucks and he couldn’t possibly have put a roster together that could accomplish that?????? Stop with the positivity before the boo birds come after you! 

~ sarcasm folks

Don't forget it's all Shane's fault for anything that goes wrong during the game... 

/Sarcasm

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Don't forget it's all Shane's fault for anything that goes wrong during the game... 

This... we are here BECAUSE of Shane's aggressive style and playcalling. Go ask Philly behind closed doors what's the difference between last year's explosive offense to this season's stagnant one that's been an issue so far with the SAME players. Shane is the next in line of these young aggressive offensive minds that are taking over the league. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Well to be devils advocate he didn’t have any tough decisions to make yesterday.  4th and 1 or punt versus kick a FG.  I don’t remember anything on that front.  The 2 point conversion play call was a little odd and risky imo.  He called a heck of a game though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Before anyone tries to say crap about the schedule, we have faced a gauntlet of top Defenses early on this season too. 

• Like 2

If the Colts sneak into the playoffs, Steichen's name will get more traction for HC of the Year. I do like flying under the radar though. 

That play with Mo Allie sneaking out for the 30 yard gain was still the best play Colts have ran in 10+ years. Props to Steichen on having the cajones to call this play 

https://www.nfl.com/videos/minshew-s-30-yard-pass-to-mo-alie-cox-comes-on-fourth-down-in-final-quarter

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Alot of that has to do with Minschew as well.

He doesn't get alot of respect from Colts fans.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I agree. Probably the best play we've had from that position in 3 years. Don't get me wrong, he's streaky as all get out  but he's mobile, he keeps his eyes down field and he will go big when it's there. I would love to keep him another year if that's possible. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Minshew gets enough respect for being possibly the best backup in the league. He just is not viewed as consistent starter material. But we are definitely glad we have the best backup in the league. Heck, he might be better than a few starters I know of, like Pickett, Mac Jones etc. but that was a shrewd Steichen oriented Ballard signing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

If the Colts sneak into the playoffs, Steichen's name will get more traction for HC of the Year. I do like flying under the radar though. 

That play with Mo Allie sneaking out for the 30 yard gain was still the best play Colts have ran in 10+ years. Props to Steichen on having the cajones to call this play 

https://www.nfl.com/videos/minshew-s-30-yard-pass-to-mo-alie-cox-comes-on-fourth-down-in-final-quarter

Gollum GIF

Sneaking? Sneaking?

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Minshew gets enough respect for being possibly the best backup in the league. He just is not viewed as consistent starter material. But we are definitely glad we have the best backup in the league. Heck, he might be better than a few starters I know of, like Pickett, Mac Jones etc. but that was a shrewd Steichen oriented Ballard signing.

This is not meant as a counter point to your thread, just something I was looking at this morning and didn't know where else to put it.

Gardner Minshew's passer rating in the last four wins: 81.9

Gardner Minshew's passer rating in the previous three losses: 78

We've also had three defensive TDs, and a few more short fields, over these last four games. Lots of other offensive stats are less than flattering. Last time we played an above average QB was Week 6 (Jags); last time we beat an above average QB was Week 3 (Ravens). 

I think our offense is average. We have a functional QB, which is more than a lot of teams can say this year. We can move the ball, but stall out pretty often, which we saw plenty of yesterday. Minshew has multiple serious malfunctions every game. We're getting boosts from the fact that we're playing other bad-to-mediocre offenses and QBs, and getting some turnovers and STs plays. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, the team is getting it done and I'll take it and enjoy the run. I just think there's more to look at than points scored.

What I think it points to is pretty good coaching and preparation, and a strong competitive spirit. I also think there are a lot of young players who are getting better as the season goes on. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

What I think it points to is pretty good coaching and preparation, and a strong competitive spirit. I also think there are a lot of young players who are getting better as the season goes on. 

This is exactly what I think as well

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

This is not meant as a counter point to your thread, just something I was looking at this morning and didn't know where else to put it.

We've also had three defensive TDs, and a few more short fields, over these last four games. Lots of other offensive stats are less than flattering. Last time we played an above average QB was Week 6 (Jags); last time we beat an above average QB was Week 3 (Ravens). 

I think our offense is average. We have a functional QB, which is more than a lot of teams can say this year. We can move the ball, but stall out pretty often, which we saw plenty of yesterday. Minshew has multiple serious malfunctions every game. We're getting boosts from the fact that we're playing other bad-to-mediocre offenses and QBs, and getting some turnovers and STs plays. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, the team is getting it done and I'll take it and enjoy the run. I just think there's more to look at than points scored.

I am looking at it from a point of view of how it can play out long term, with a playmaking AR healthy. We are technically playing with house money if we make the playoffs. Like you said, we are enjoying the ride, with a flawed team.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

We did not have a first down in the last 20 minutes of regulation if memory serves.  That's not going to ever be good enough for any sort of sustained success, much less playoffs wins.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I am looking at it from a point of view of how it can play out long term, with a playmaking AR healthy. We are technically playing with house money if we make the playoffs. Like you said, we are enjoying the ride, with a flawed team.

Yeah, that's not a bad way to look at it. We're going to have some growing pains with Richardson also, but at least we can start adding more elements to the offense that aren't there with Minshew. For now, just need to see the young guys keep getting better.

I was playing with the ESPN playoff machine, realistically I don't know if we can lose more than one game and still make the playoffs. We got swept by the Jags, so the division is probably out of reach. The wild card is going to come down to a bunch of tie breakers, and we already lost to the Browns. Bengals probably are fading, we can beat the Steelers, and have a chance to sweep the Texans. 

Edit: I guess we have more wiggle room than I thought, but if we lose to the Steelers and Texans, we're probably not making it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, that's not a bad way to look at it. We're going to have some growing pains with Richardson also, but at least we can start adding more elements to the offense that aren't there with Minshew. For now, just need to see the young guys keep getting better.

I was playing with the ESPN playoff machine, realistically I don't know if we can lose more than one game and still make the playoffs. We got swept by the Jags, so the division is probably out of reach. The wild card is going to come down to a bunch of tie breakers, and we already lost to the Browns. Bengals probably are fading, we can beat the Steelers, and have a chance to sweep the Texans. 

Edit: I guess we have more wiggle room than I thought, but if we lose to the Steelers and Texans, we're probably not making it.

The Steelers game is the MUST win out of the remaining games, mainly because it gives us the margin of error of not sweeping the Texans and still getting in.

3-2 gets us in, IMO. Texans playing Jets, Titans twice, Browns and us, I don’t see them losing more than 1.

Steelers finish with Seahawks and Ravens, one fighting for a wild card and another fighting for No.1 seed. If we get the win vs Steelers, their odds go way down, IMO.

But you never know. The penultimate game in the Carson Wentz season was the Raiders, it’s the Raiders again this year too. 

9 wins won’t get in easily but 10 should. The quicker we get to 10, we could even rest a few bodies versus Texans in the last game.