Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Please explain controversial 2-pt conversion

NewColtsFan

So I’m watching at my usual sports bar.  The play happens.   Tennessee returns the interception for what is called a touchdown.   Celebration for the Titans. 

I use the break to go to the rest room. 

I come back and the Tenn TD has been taken away and it’s still Titans ball.  I check the ESPN play-by-play link and it’s worthless.  No explanation for why the TD was called off.  

So will anyone and everyone please explain to me what I missed and what I couldn’t get a good explanation for.  

And please keep it to the play and not the call by Steichen.  That’s another topic that I’m happy to debate but I just want to focus on the context that has escaped me.  

Many, many thanks!    :worthy:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

So I’m watching at my usual sports bar.  The play happens.   Tennessee returns the interception for what is called a touchdown.   Celebration for the Titans. 

I come back and the Tenn TD has been taken away and it’s still Titans ball.  I check the ESPN play-by-play link and it’s worthless.  No explanation for why the TD was called off.  

So will anyone and everyone please explain to me what I missed and what I couldn’t get a good explanation for.  

And please keep it to the play and not the call by Steichen.  That’s another topic that I’m happy to debate but I just want to focus on the context that has escaped me.  

You can’t score a TD on a returned extra point attempt. It’s by rule, a 2 point score for the defense

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

You don’t get a TD for taking it to the house for a two point conversion.  Nobody can get a TD jn the play after scoring a touchdown.  At most can score two points by making it to an end zone OR can get one point by successfully kicking it between the uprights 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's just a 2pt conversion, not a TD.

Then they get the ball back because they were about to after our TD.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We went for 2 after going up 22-17 but got picked off. Titans returned it 100 yards, but it only counts for 2 points when that happens. What confused everyone was, it showed Titans up 23-22 afterword on the scoreboard like they scored a TD.  That was an error.

Oh gosh. thought I was seeing things. Glad it really did say that and I wasn’t losing my mind.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Nah it was just Vrabel trying to steal one

Are you intimating that he has Belichick-ian practices? haha

Seriously, Hanson was just repeating what he saw on the screen -- they showed that the Titans had scored a TD.

Not trying to hi-jack the thread here, but I have a follow up question.

Say Team A wanted to kick an extra point. It hits the upright and gets caught by Team B in end zone without going out of bounds. Can it be returned for a TD? Or will that be just one point? Can it even be returned?

15 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Say Team A wanted to kick an extra point. It hits the upright and gets caught by Team B in end zone without going out of bounds. Can it be returned for a TD? Or will that be just one point? Can it even be returned?

No. Same rule, any returned ball into the opposite end zone from an extra point attempt can only count as two points. Basically it’s like a safety 

15 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

How would it be a td on an extra point?

48 minutes ago, csmopar said:

No. Same rule, any returned ball into the opposite end zone from an extra point attempt can only count as two points. Basically it’s like a safety 

Wait...if it was an extra point it would only count as one point, so wouldn't the return only be one point?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Wait...if it was an extra point it would only count as one point, so wouldn't the return only be one point?

8 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Yes unless they changed the rules lately.

Nope… it’s basically considered a safety, even though it’s not called one. Google it

2 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Guess I do also. Used to be 1 when I played.

It’s been worth 2 points FOREVER. At least a decade now

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Nope… it’s basically considered a safety, even though it’s not called one. Google it

It’s been worth 2 points FOREVER. At least a decade now

September 18 of 2016 I just read. NO blocked the first that counted for 2 pts against Carolina. According to that article prior to that when the team that blocked the Xtra pt recovered it was a dead ball. Actually think it was 2015 when rule was changed and NO was the 1st team to score 2 pts in Dec. of 2016

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

September 18 of 2016 I just read. NO blocked the first that counted for 2 pts against Carolina. According to that article prior to that when the team that blocked the Xtra pt recovered it was a dead ball. 

Seems like it’s been longer. I seem to remember a playoff game being the catalyst for that discussion

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Came home and crashed.   Woke up to read all the responses.   Many thanks to all who responded.   Appreciate the good 411.   Makes sense.    

:worthy:      :thmup:       :heart:       :flowers:

Yeah when that play happened, the scoreboard showed 23-22 Titans. I was about to freak out! lmao . I was like did they change the rule, that is only 2 points. haha 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Came home and crashed.   Woke up to read all the responses.   Many thanks to all who responded.   Appreciate the good 411.   Makes sense.    

:worthy:      :thmup:       :heart:       :flowers:

Hope you’re feeling well and enjoying less days of pain, my friend!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You get two points for it not a touchdown.  Kickoff like normal for the Colts after any score.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You can only get two points for any kind of return on a blocked point rather it’s a blocked kick, fumble, or INT.  It’s considered a two point conversion for your team.

Yep. 

I think it’s fair to guarantee it’s two points since it’s a heck of a feat to even do it. Mad props to the Titans special team unit on that play. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Anyone have a recommendation for which thread to post a discussion about the quality of the call Steichen made on the 2-point conversion?     Maybe there’s already a thread handling that?   

Recommendations?    

Do we honestly need to second guess every single play call that ends badly for us? 

besides, it was actually the right call, the ball just was tipped. Not really a play call issue as much as a good play by the d

• Thanks 1