Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AFC South and AFC Playoff picture/ Remaining Schedules (MERGE) Updated OP + on page 61 - post week 17. AFC Clinching Scenarios page 61

w87r

24 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, Heinecke is a gun slinger, you never know what you are going to get. He will have a lot of turnover worthy plays by throwing it out there and giving his skill position guys a chance to catch it, so we need to come down with a couple of those in the game to temper his enthusiasm to gun sling again. He beat us with Terry McLaurin posterizing Stephon Gilmore, at home as a member of Washington last year, if you remember. That is the X factor with Heinecke. With Ridder, you know what you are going to get.

Plus, Arthur Smith coaching for his job suggests it will be Heinecke.

There was a video today of smith. He seems like a coach who has run out of answers.

9 hours ago, chad72 said:

I don't know, I guess it is the case where Bengals win out, and both Dolphins and Bills finish 11-6?? That is the only scenario that keeps playing in my head. That would put all those teams at 11-6 and if the Browns also finish 11-6 with a loss to the Bengals but winning everything else, we might be out at 11-6 if the Jags beat the Bucs, Titans and Panthers and finish 11-6?? Let us not worry about that now.

@w87r @2006Coltsbestever is there a playoff machine we can put that in?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/upshot/indianapolis-colts-nfl-playoff-picture.html#&

5 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Does anyone know when they put times on week 18 games? Do they wait until after week 17. There is a good chance that the Texans and colts gets flexed to Sunday night.

Usually after all week 17 games are finalized so they can see what teams need to be in the same time slot.

21 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Still deep at WR though.

16 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Higgins took over that game. But an entire game could hurt them without Chase. But probably not against Steelers.

It definitely will impact the bengals, and I believe it may have enough impact for them to just lose this game to the Steelers. Steelers are going to be a mad team on the field; because of how they ended up losing to the colts but also because of the suspension..you best believe they will probably come out with more fire this next week.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

It definitely will impact the bengals, and I believe it may have enough impact for them to just lose this game to the Steelers. Steelers are going to be a mad team on the field; because of how they ended up losing to the colts but also because of the suspension..you best believe they will probably come out with more fire this next week.

And Rudolph leading the way this week.

Abominable Snowman Yeti GIF by MOODMAN

1 hour ago, Happy2BeHere said:

I think Steelers have quit.

29 minutes ago, w87r said:

And Rudolph leading the way this week.

Abominable Snowman Yeti GIF by MOODMAN

One good thing about Rudolph is he has been there a long time so probably knows the system a lot better. I think Steelers have quit though.  Glad that game is Saturday so I can give it my fool attention.

• w87r changed the title to AFC South and AFC Playoff picture/ Remaining Schedules (MERGE) Updated OP + on page 31 - post week 15
On 11/19/2023 at 8:07 PM, w87r said:

Updated Week 15 Standings:

* - Still to play

x - clinched playoffs 

AFC South Standings:

Jags 8-6, 4-1, 6-5(@Bucs, Panthers, @Titans)

Colts 8-6 , 3-2, 6-4(@Falcons, Raiders, Texans)

Texans 8-6, 2-2, 5-4(Browns, Titans, @Colts)

Titans 5-9, 0-4, 3-7(Seahawks, @Texans, Jaguars)

AFC Playoff Picture:

x-1. Ravens 11-3, 3-2, 7-3, .520, .506 (@49ers, Dolphins, Steelers)

2. Dolphins 10-4, 4-1, 7-3, .393, .321 (Cowboys, @Ravens, Bills)

3. Chiefs 9-5, 3-1, 7-2, .495, .444 (Raiders, Bengals, @Chargers)

4. Jaguars 8-6, 4-1, 6-5, .577, .509 (@Bucs, Panthers, @Titans)

5. Browns 9-5, 3-2, 5-3, .536, .524 (Texans, Jets, @Bengals)

6. Bengals 8-6, 0-4, 3-6, .561, .527 (@Steelers, @Chiefs, Browns)

7. Colts 8-6, 3-2, 6-4, .485, .429 (@Falcons, Raiders, Texans)

Still in Hunt:

8. Texans 8-6, 2-2, 5-4, .469, .464 (Browns, Titans, @Colts)

9. Bills 8-6, 2-2, 4-5, .495, .500 (@Chargers, Patriots, @Dolphins)

10. Steelers 7-7, 3-1, 5-5, .520, .531 (Bengals, @Seahawks, @Ravens)

11. Broncos 7-7, 2-2, 4-5, .515, .500 (Patriots, Chargers, @Raiders)

Not Officially Out:

12. Raiders 6-8, 2-2, 4-5, .469, .369 (@Chiefs, @Colts, Broncos)

13. Chargers 5-9, 1-3, 3-6, .510, .371 (Bills, @Broncos, Chiefs)

Eliminated:

Jets

Titans 

Patriots 

Updated post Week 15, SoS + SoV have been updated as well

Updated OP and above

• Like 1

On 12/17/2023 at 6:27 PM, chad72 said:

Dolphins play Cowboys, Ravens and Bills in a row. That will shape the AFC playoffs.

Bills are winning out for 11-6. Dolphins lose 2 more games for 11-6 and we’re in danger of missing out if we don’t run the table and Bengals don’t lose 1 more. Bengals lost D J Reader for season. 

Here’s to Bengals having a Carson Wentz like season ending losing the last 2 to go 9-8, to Chiefs and Browns.

Then it will be Ravens, Chiefs, Bills, Jaguars, Dolphins, Browns, Colts

You heard it here first  

If week 18 Bills/Dolphins is for the division, then that game will be the SNF flex game, regardless of how the week 16/17 games go for the Colts & Texans.  Tua vs Allen is "must see" tv.

On 12/17/2023 at 6:47 PM, chad72 said:

Guys, AFC top dog Will again beat the NFC top dog this year. AFC is damn good, the top 3. 49ers are the only team that can have another gear to match the AFC.

To be honest, it wouldn't bother me if the 49ers won it all this season as it's been nearly 30 years since their last Lombardi.  They have very likable players and I'm tired of seeing Mahomes, his wife, Kelce & Swift.  For the AFC, I'd root for us first, but then maybe the Bills afterwards.  If the Bills make the playoffs and get to the SB, then it will be well-deserved because they beat top competition during the stretch run and got hot at the right time.    

10 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

It’s still on the road and they replaced Trubisky with another streaky QB. Bengals should prevail AT HOME.

52 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It will be Heinke this week. Falcons went 0-2 with him earlier and benched him earlier. Not that concerned.

Like I said, you have to hope we don't make it cushy for him. We owe Heinecke one, for last year. Hope we take care of business and come out with a W.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It will be Heinke this week. Falcons went 0-2 with him earlier and benched him earlier. Not that concerned.

Yep heard this morning that it's heinke.

Falcons have a good running game and good defense. Their qb play has been awful.

Minshew will have to stay patient and not force the ball. 

If Colts play ball control and don't turn it over they win

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

At the end of the day, you can only control your own games. If we can't beat Atlanta this week after the turmoil they're in, we don't deserve to be in the playoffs imo.

That’s your opinion fine.  But at the end of the year a lot of teams are in the same position.  The opposing team wants to win too.  There are no real gimme games in the league.  Turmoil or not Atlanta has a good roster.  They could get the job done.  A lot of teams will need help to get in.  Some will get it some won’t.  If we lose this game and still manage to get in I’m not going to think we shouldn’t be in , we didn’t deserve to be in because we lost to Atlanta.  We could win this game and still not get in.  All the contending teams know where they stand and what they have to do.  Hopefully we get in and if we do then we deserve to be in the playoffs imo.

One option that I don't see much discussion about is the Broncos.

They are 7-7, and their three remaining games are against the 3-10 Patriots, the 5-9 Chargers, and the 6-8 Raiders.

If they win out, they'll have a 10-7 record, with a 7-5 conference record.

If we lose a single game, we'll have identical records.

I don't know what the tie breakers will look like between us, but I don't want to have to.

5 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

They are 7-7, and their three remaining games are against the 3-10 Patriots, the 5-9 Chargers, and the 6-8 Raiders.

I don't know what the tie breakers will look like between us, but I don't want to have to.

Zappe has looked better than Mac and the Raiders game is a divisional game and they’ll play them  tough. 

25 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

The Raiders game is huge because Common Opponent is factored in. If we beat the Raiders we would get the tiebreaker if somehow both finish 10-7. They lost to Houston and the Raiders already.

4 minutes ago, SSColts said:

The Colts have beaten teams like the Falcons all year long. There's no excuse to lose to a team with rotating QBs. It's any given Sunday but this Sunday we need to give the Falcons an L.

Yep. All of the colts losses have been to teams at .500 or above. They have taken care of teams below .500.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts worked out Coutee today. After downs  was returning punts and Mckrnzie eas inactive sounds like McKenzie might be getting cut soon.

You may be on to something there? I just wonder, if McKenzie is our only true backup slot receiver?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

For Colts/Broncos, the common opponents are: Browns, Texans, and Raiders.  We play Texans twice and they play the Raiders twice.  It really depends on our loss because we could beat the Raiders and still be out if the Texans beat us.  I'm more concerned with the Texans than Broncos.  The Texans could go 10-7 with the 7th loss coming against the Browns and we could go 10-7 with a loss to the Texans in the finale.  Texans get the tiebreaker due to division record and they would be 2nd place in the South.  Texans would then win the tiebreaker against a 10-7 Denver team since they beat them earlier.  Again, I think there will be at least one 10-7 AFC team sitting home this year.  Just go 11-6 and leave no doubt.

14 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If Colts beat Atlanta there should be some playoff clinching scenarios with a win against raiders.

According to the playoff machine, that is correct. But a lot, and I mean A LOT needs to happen for that scenario to occur. 

I’ve been going over many scenarios, and the most likely seems to be an all or nothing duel against Houston. 

• Like 1