Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Belichick’s next HC job….

NewColtsFan

If you go on-line you’ll likely see four front runners.   The top choice appears to be Washington.   Other choices appear to be Dallas,  Tampa and the LA Chargers.   

One story I read said the new owner of Washington is good friends with the son of Robert Kraft, which may make a trade between the two teams easier to pull off.  

New England will want to trade BB and get compensation for losing him.   Lots of moving parts and this could get very complicated.    But this is the latest I’m reading.   

With such a poor win/loss overall record for his career in games Brady didnt play not sure he gets another chance at this point at this point.

*With Tom Brady for 20 years, the coach was 249-75 with 17 division titles and six championships.

*Without Brady in nine seasons, the coach is 82-97 with only one playoff win. Since the quarterback left the Patriots after the 2019 season, they are 27-33 .

51 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you go on-line you’ll likely see four front runners.   The top choice appears to be Washington.   Other choices appear to be Dallas,  Tampa and the LA Chargers.   

One story I read said the new owner of Washington is good friends with the son of Robert Kraft, which may make a trade between the two teams easier to pull off.  

New England will want to trade BB and get compensation for losing him.   Lots of moving parts and this could get very complicated.    But this is the latest I’m reading.   

He’ll retire 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Belichick will retire?   Maybe, I suppose it’s possible.   But I’m not reading that anywhere.   All I’m reading is that he wants to keep coaching.  

He's 71.  Does he want to try to install the "patriot way" somewhere else?  The only scenario I see him going to is a team with a good qb.  He won't accept a trade I don't think.   He can retire and do whatever he wants.  

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

He's 71.  Does he want to try to install the "patriot way" somewhere else?  The only scenario I see him going to is a team with a good qb.  He won't accept a trade I don't think.   He can retire and do whatever he wants.  

You make fair points.   I don’t have great answers.   All I read is that he wants to keep coaching.   Guess we’ll find out in January.

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Belichick will retire?   Maybe, I suppose it’s possible.   But I’m not reading that anywhere.   All I’m reading is that he wants to keep coaching.  

Given his age, soon to be 72, he may not want to start over. But anything is possible. I think he retires

• Like 1

Many of Belichick's former players have been urging him to retire.

Belichick said that he wasn't planning to coach past 70.  He's past 70.

Regardless of whether BB stays with the Patriots - or - is "traded" to the Redskins - he will be in a situation where a rebuild is necessary.  That could take a while.

The team has disintegrated over the past few years.

Does anyone REALLY think that a stubborn "my way or the highway" 70+ year old coach can "relate" to today's generation of players?

Didn't think so!!

Tampa has the defensive talent Belichick covets, IMO, and good weather for him to chill if he’s done after a few years.

OR

Once they get a QB in the draft, he MAY buy a couple of years in NE with a succession plan for Jerod Mayo as Assistant HC.

• Like 1

The poor job that Belichick has done drafting and evaluating talent over the years has definitely caught up to him on the field. When you have Tom Brady to mask weaknesses and inefficiencies, you can get away with some bad personnel decisions. The fact that Brady left and won a Super Bowl with Tampa hurts him here as well. 

I feel like that's the larger problem when it comes to him going elsewhere. There's no denying his ability to coach the game and his fundamental knowledge, but his track record as a GM is pretty bad. I don't see him taking a reduced role where he's only coaching, and I don't see another organization giving him GM/HC duties. At the same time, I imagine Belichick doesn't want this to be the final chapter in his legacy, since he would be going out with the "couldn't do it without Brady" thing hanging over him. 

• Thanks 2

When a good HC has talent he knows how to utilize it and build on it. NE is lacking in talent. IF BB goes and wants to continue coaching the NY Giants might be a good landing place. I can't see him leaving because who will replace him and what makes anyone think that person will succeed?

• Like 1

On 11/16/2023 at 6:41 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I don't think Kraft will fire his partner in crime UNLESS he has a Big Fish to replace him.

And I heard Belichek say the only other place he'd care to coach for is for the Giants.

I'm not feeling sorry for the pats.....in '24 they will have a hot shot QB (maybe Caleb Williams) and either future HOF coach Belichek or a Big Fish like Harbaugh as HC. 

The talking heads will sure have plenty to talk about. haha

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I don't think Kraft will fire his partner in crime UNLESS he has a Big Fish to replace him.

And I heard Belichek say the only other place he'd care to coach for is for the Giants.

I'm not feeling sorry for the pats.....in '24 they will have a hot shot QB (maybe Caleb Williams) and either future HOF coach Belichek or a Big Fish like Harbaugh as HC. 

The talking heads will sure have plenty to talk about. haha

Yeah….   I don’t feel sorry for the Pats either.   Agree with you that I don’t see Kraft firing Belichick.   But I can see them working out some kind of deal.   I don’t pretend to know what the deal will be.   But they’ll try to work out some arrangement that gives each some benefit.   Love to be the fly on the wall for that conversation! 

I think this off-season will be fascinating….

• Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 5:22 AM, jvan1973 said:

He should take that easy TV money.    Networks will throw bags of cash at him

There will be lot of silence on the TV that they could go for a commercial break before he gathers his thoughts :funny:

On 11/18/2023 at 3:16 AM, sb41champs said:

Belichick said that he wasn't planning to coach past 70.  He's past 70.

They asked him that when he was 69. By the time, he finished making facial expressions

Shrek Film Smile GIF by PeacockTV

He turned 71.

On 11/20/2023 at 11:57 AM, GoPats said:

The poor job that Belichick has done drafting and evaluating talent over the years has definitely caught up to him on the field. When you have Tom Brady to mask weaknesses and inefficiencies, you can get away with some bad personnel decisions. The fact that Brady left and won a Super Bowl with Tampa hurts him here as well. 

I feel like that's the larger problem when it comes to him going elsewhere. There's no denying his ability to coach the game and his fundamental knowledge, but his track record as a GM is pretty bad. I don't see him taking a reduced role where he's only coaching, and I don't see another organization giving him GM/HC duties. At the same time, I imagine Belichick doesn't want this to be the final chapter in his legacy, since he would be going out with the "couldn't do it without Brady" thing hanging over him. 

If he goes anywhere, I would think it would be the Commanders.  He is from that area given his dad and the naval academy. He also has Howell who is a pretty good QB and Eric B is doing a great job.

I agree with you though that Bill has tanked his legacy without Brady. The Pats are a clown show.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

I agree with you though that Bill has tanked his legacy without Brady. The Pats are a clown show.

Or he tells Kraft, give me one more year to groom my replacement Jerod Mayo, and a chance to get a good QB from the draft and I will leave on a high note??

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FortheWin said:

If he goes anywhere, I would think it would be the Commanders.  He is from that area given his dad and the naval academy. He also has Howell who is a pretty good QB and Eric B is doing a great job.

Lots of rumors out there. 

Despite the name change, Washington is a pretty historic franchise. 

It's pretty intriguing. Will he be fired? Traded? Leave on his own accord?

Whatever happens, I think he's done here. I'm going to the game this weekend (first one since 2009 for me) and sitting in a suite courtesy of one of my company's vendors. But in all honesty, if we were just going to be in the stands, I would probably not go. They've been beyond difficult and frustrating to watch this season. Not to mention pretty boring. 

1 minute ago, GoPats said:

Lots of rumors out there. 

Despite the name change, Washington is a pretty historic franchise. 

It's pretty intriguing. Will he be fired? Traded? Leave on his own accord?

Whatever happens, I think he's done here. I'm going to the game this weekend (first one since 2009 for me) and sitting in a suite courtesy of one of my company's vendors. But in all honesty, if we were just going to be in the stands, I would probably not go. They've been beyond difficult and frustrating to watch this season. Not to mention pretty boring. 

He needs 27 wins to pass Shula to be the all-time wins leader. Shula has 347 to BB's 321. I think Staley is about to be canned. BB going to the Chargers with Herbert would be a great move IMO.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 10:37 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He needs 27 wins to pass Shula to be the all-time wins leader. Shula has 347 to BB's 321. I think Staley is about to be canned. BB going to the Chargers with Herbert would be a great move IMO.

Don’t look far. If Sean McDermott is fired, Belichick would get the Bills’ D playing well and rein in Josh Allen’s mistakes to get him to play team ball. Now that would be a potent combination.

He will be hated by the Patriots forever, and I’ll have my popcorn ready. :) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Don’t look far. If Sean McDermott is fired, Belichick would get the Bills’ D playing well and rein in Josh Allen’s mistakes to get him to play team ball. Now that would be a potent combination.

He will be hated by the Patriots forever, and I’ll have my popcorn ready. :) 

That would be funny and awesome to watch. I have seen a lot of rumors of Washington willing to trade compensation for BB. Like @NewColtsFan as stated. I could also see him going to Chargers. But who knows, @jvan1973 said also makes sense. Taking the easy TV money.

• Thanks 1

Who will take the NE HC job and turn it back to a winner? Answer: Nobody. Obviously, BB knows how to coach but coaching does not create talent. So go ahead and let BB go and see what the next few years brings to NE. How would the Colts have done without Luck?

Well NE get blanked again this time by a three-legged horse called the Chargers who scored a whopping 6-point total in this joke of a game. There are so many praises of Bill O'Brien's handling of his job. So far, the most points NE has scored in a game is 29. Anyone blaming BB for this year's Pats is a fool. 

56 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Well NE get blanked again this time by a three-legged horse called the Chargers who scored a whopping 6-point total in this joke of a game. There are so many praises of Bill O'Brien's handling of his job. So far, the most points NE has scored in a game is 29. Anyone blaming BB for this year's Pats is a fool. 

He is the head coach and GM. Who else is to blame?

• 1 month later...