Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Saints post game reaction

GoColts8818

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

I know we need a WR and a CB and maybe even a DE, but a true coverage LB is pretty high on my list. I'm so tired of seeing our LBs blow their coverage.

If they keep Kenny I am less worried about CB.  You’ll get Flowers back who was playing really well before he got hurt.  They will also have Brents and Jones with another year of experience under their belt.  No question you replace Brown and Baker but that can be done with a mid level vet signing or even a mid to late draft pick.  

They really need a pass rushing end on defense if they can find one or end up high enough in the draft to get one.  You could have Deion, Gilmore, and, Revis back there in their prime if you can’t get to the QB sooner or later the coverage will break down.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

If they keep Kenny I am less worried about CB.  You’ll get Flowers back who was playing really well before he got hurt.  They will also have Brents and Jones with another year of experience under their belt.  No question you replace Brown and Baker but that can be done with a mid level vet signing or even a mid to late draft pick.  

They really need a pass rushing end on defense if they can find one or end up high enough in the draft to get one.  You could have Deion, Gilmore, and, Revis back there in their prime if you can’t get to the QB sooner or later the coverage will break down.

This years secondary was built around us having Rodgers as well. I agree we about Kenny, and Flowers and Brents are a lot better than Baker and Brown. I'd still like another veteran CB on the outside.

We've needed a monster DE since forever. I'll be honest though, I just don't trust Ballard to find us a DE anymore.

I think we need star power on this team, but it's also become pretty clear we need quality depth. Everytime a significant starter goes down our team falls flat. It feels like we have nothing behind Buckner and Stewart and we've seen the horror of our secondary without our starters.

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

This years secondary was built around us having Rodgers as well. I agree we about Kenny, and Flowers and Brents are a lot better than Baker and Brown. I'd still like another veteran CB on the outside.

We've needed a monster DE since forever. I'll be honest though, I just don't trust Ballard to find us a DE anymore.

I think we need star power on this team, but it's also become pretty clear we need quality depth. Everytime a significant starter goes down our team falls flat. It feels like we have nothing behind Buckner and Stewart and we've seen the horror of our secondary without our starters.

Defensive end is almost as hard as QB to find. I don’t know how to fix it because teams don’t trade elite DE. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

They have Kenny but that’s about it right now with Franklin hurt (he cleans up what Buckner and Stewart sets up for for him) and Leonard still trying to come back.  

I wouldn’t mind adding a vet corner in the off-season, and Ballard probably would have had he knew about Rogers sooner, but I don’t think it has to be star.  It just needs to be like the guy from the Browns the Colts had a few years ago that was solid depth but wasn’t a starter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Defensive end is almost as hard as QB to find. I don’t know how to fix it because teams don’t trade elite DE. 

You have to find one in the draft,  that’s why I think the Colts end up with a high draft pick that might be the direction the Colts have to go even if it means passing on Marvin Jr.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good:  We scored 27.  Downs continues to impress.  Pierce made some nice grabs, one which was ruled incomplete.  He did slow down on a route though.  I don't recall hearing Jones's name much.  Ogletree!

Bad:  It's apparent we need an elite edge rusher, elite coverage LB, and elite CB.  However, if our starting CBs were healthy, I think we'd be OK on that front, but not great.  Really missing Big Grove.

Feel bad for this dude. Should never Bern put in this position.

20 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You have to find one in the draft,  that’s why I think the Colts end up with a high draft pick that might be the direction the Colts have to go even if it means passing on Marvin Jr.

And that is almost impossible if your not drafting top 5. I also read this isn’t a good draft class at DL.

36 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Spot on

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Feel bad for this dude. Should never Bern put in this position.

And that is almost impossible if your not drafting top 5. I also read this isn’t a good draft class at DL.

Laiatu Latu and Jared Verse are the two most sought after and will likely be top 10 picks.   That’s why I said if the Colts end up that high they might have to pull the trigger on one of them.  Bralen Trice Would be a name to watch if the Colts are in the top 15.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Laiatu Latu and Jared Verse are the two most sought after and will likely be top 10 picks.   That’s why I said if the Colts end up that high they might have to pull the trigger on one of them.  Bralen Trice Would be a name to watch if the Colts are in the top 15.

I really thought they would go skill position but seeing this defense that would probably be the right move. This secondary needs overhauled at CB. Colts offense has been fine at putting up points and will get even better when richardsons back.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Ballard has struck out on drafting an ER since he became GM.  Washington can’t afford to pay both of theirs.  They are willing to trade one for a 2nd.  Seriously what are you waiting for?

ballard lives off the 2018 getting nelson smith and leonard .   after that only really 2021 getting pittman and taylor who are good but i think pittman is not great and is a solid number 2 guy .  if we had a better wr core pittman wouldnt be a 1000 yard wr he doesnt get much separation and is slow

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Ballard has struck out on drafting an ER since he became GM.  Washington can’t afford to pay both of theirs.  They are willing to trade one for a 2nd.  Seriously what are you waiting for?

From what I read they have 4 they could deal. Allen is also on the trade block. Not sure how old he is though. I think he is older.

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

ballard lives off the 2018 getting nelson smith and leonard .   after that only really 2021 getting pittman and taylor who are good but i think pittman is not great and is a solid number 2 guy .  if we had a better wr core pittman wouldnt be a 1000 yard wr he doesnt get much separation and is slow

It’s really not fair to dog Pittman with all the different QB. He had been good with every one of them. Should be having his 3rd 1k yard season after just missing it last year.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I really thought they would go skill position but seeing this defense that would probably be the right move. This secondary needs overhauled at CB. Colts offense has been fine at putting up points and will get even better when richardsons back.

The CB position doesn’t need to be overhauled.  It needs to get healthy and maybe a vet corner added for depth.  If they keep Moore they have their three starters in Flowers, Brents, and Moore.  You have Jones with year of value experience as depth and who frankly has held his own when in there.  You very rarely hear his name.  So that leaves a depth spot or two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

The CB position doesn’t need to be overhauled.  It needs to get healthy and maybe a vet corner added for depth.  If they keep Moore they have their three starters in Flowers, Brents, and Moore.  You have Jones with year of value experience as depth and who frankly has held his own when in there.  You very rarely hear his name.  So that leaves a depth spot or two.

We need way better depth and another starter. You can’t keep relying on 6th and 7th rounders. We need one more high draft pick at corner and better depth guys. In reality guys like flowers and jones should be the depth pieces not starters.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We need way better depth and another starter. You can’t keep relying on 6th and 7th rounders. We need one more high draft pick at corner and better depth guys. In reality guys like flowers and jones should be the depth pieces not starters.

Once people are players it no longer matters where they were drafted.  You are way too hung up on that.  It matters can they play and Flowers, Brents, and Moore have all proven they can regardless of where they got them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

after 7 years  ballard did fail on defense i know we are really thin at corner but even with brents and flowers healthy the defense is still average .   safeties are horrible corners even when healthy are average pass rush is average .    our defensive ends are average we get try hard guys at  DE that always dont put up huge stats but play hard .   linebackers are horrible in coverage and we lack explosive talent on offense besides taylor .

we need a reshuffle to give richardson a chance to develop .  look at what the dolphins did with tua went out got two explosive weapons .  we need to cut bait with leonard as soon as his cap hit goes away .

ballard focuses to much on volume drafting always trading back for more picks . the problem with that is the pick are average and he passes up good players to get more picks  . 

• Thanks 1

Without a QB your team isn’t going to win consistently. We keep trying to do it without a QB. Look around the NFL. Teams without an elite QB don’t go to the playoffs. Last time we had an elite QB was with Rivers and we went to the playoffs. You need that guy to mask the deficiencies on your team. All teams have bad players. 

however, I grow tiresome of sports betting and refs helping determine outcomes of games. It happens all over the league not just the Colts. And it makes me question whether or not I want to waste my sundays viewing it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Once people are players it no longer matters where they were drafted.  You are way too hung up on that.  It matters can they play and Flowers, Brents, and Moore have all proven they can regardless of where they got them.

There is no doubt in my mind Ballard is going to either use another high pick at corner or pay a young FA.  Flowers probably won’t even be ready for the season next year:

I haven’t been on the get a wr bandwagon like a lot here. The ones the colts have are fine and would be a lot better with a better qb. I wouldn’t use any top picks on offense, the top 4 rounds at least should be defense. Pass rusher, lb, and a big dt would be my priorities. Secondary should be ok when healthy. I’m probably in the minority here about not being sold on the colts lb’s for a long time.

Just now, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Without a QB your team isn’t going to win consistently. We keep trying to do it without a QB. Look around the NFL. Teams without an elite QB don’t go to the playoffs. Last time we had an elite QB was with Rivers and we went to the playoffs. You need that guy to mask the deficiencies on your team. All teams have bad players. 

We have a QB he got injured. In reality our offense is scoring plenty to win.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

after 7 years  ballard did fail on defense i know we are really thin at corner but even with brents and flowers healthy the defense is still average .   safeties are horrible corners even when healthy are average pass rush is average .    our defensive ends are average we get try hard guys at  DE that always dont put up huge stats but play hard .   linebackers are horrible in coverage and we lack explosive talent on offense besides taylor .

we need a reshuffle to give richardson a chance to develop .  look at what the dolphins did with tua went out got two explosive weapons .  we need to cut bait with leonard as soon as his cap hit goes away .

ballard focuses to much on volume drafting always trading back for more picks . the problem with that is the pick are average and he passes up good players to get more picks  . 

Blackmon has graded out as one of the best in the league. I agree on the volume.

13 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yeah that’s the truth. QB can mask a lot if you have a really good one.

We are still in the MHJ sweepsteaks lol.

I think we will win enough games to be out of the MHJ sweepstakes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Not good 

The problem is that we don't have anyone else to bring in for him.  Baker was worse.  We knew DB was thin before the injuries happened.  Our only chance is playing running teams, and hope other teams are dumb enough to run the ball at us.