Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Players to Watch for 2024 Draft

I’m starting to look into Javon Baker and I like what I see. Measured in at 6’1” and 208 lbs at Senior Bowl. Legit deep speed and contested catch ability. Also has route nuance. May be even better of a prospect then Legette and Tez Walker.

• Like 2

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/02/2024-nfl-draft-scouting-report-arizona-te-tanner-mclachlan/

I've seen this guy a few times. The size of a small DE but has alot of room to add muscle. More of a receiving TE, but with the added muscle he might be a decent blocker one day too. Almost had 1000 yard.

In the second video you can see Latu get sent out wide and the stonewalled.

2 hours ago, Gigc said:

Just throwing it out there. Check out the game he had against Colorado. Don't know how fast he is, but he plays big and has great hands...

He went back to school. It was a crowded receiver class so maybe it’s not a bad decision.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Pearsall also shined at the Senior Bowl AND he played with AR. 

Yep 

Pearsall had ZERO dropped passes.... ALL YEAR (If I remember the talking head correctly)

If he runs a 4.4, I could see him as an option to the Colts in round 3

• Like 2

If Ja'lynn Polk runs a 4.4 ish, he would be an option in round two as well.

The guy is wide open on many deep plays........  

He is a big kid, and averages 16.8 yards per catch.

He MIGHT be the guy we need

• Like 1

I just watched some of Jared Verse. He's a pretty good athlete, good size, adequate length, seems powerful, and he definitely passes the eyeball test as a football player. Good motor during his rushes, kind of jogs around once the ball goes away from him. He has a good first step, not super explosive, so don't be fooled by the plays where he times up the snap perfectly. He can come out of his stance too high, and then sometimes he'll be too far out over his feet, but when his leverage is right, he can go speed to power and embarrass the lineman. Good chop move, good swim, he'll spin but it's not super effective. Speaking of, he can be incredibly undisciplined with some of his moves, taking himself out of position, giving up rushing lanes, abandoning edge containment, and it happens a little too often. And it's really the lack of of discipline that bugs me throughout the game. He's also not a great tackler, kind of dives around a lot and will miss the ball carrier. He's not great in space, and he doesn't bend the edge very well... look for a mediocre three cone and shuttle. 

There are also times when he looks like the most unstoppable player on the field. Watch the Florida game, or the Louisville game... sheesh. Just a wrecking ball. There are plays where he sets up a blocker and hits them with a counter, and even plays where he has to go to his second or third move to beat the blocker, and has some success. If he can refine his technique, and stabilize his attacks, he can be a pretty good DE and pass rusher. If he's disciplined, he can hold up against the run. I don't see him having a high ceiling in the NFL and being a consistent double digit sack guy, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a long career. Think Brandon Graham.

He probably wouldn't be my favorite pick at #15.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I just watched some of Jared Verse. He's a pretty good athlete, good size, adequate length, seems powerful, and he definitely passes the eyeball test as a football player. Good motor during his rushes, kind of jogs around once the ball goes away from him. He has a good first step, not super explosive, so don't be fooled by the plays where he times up the snap perfectly. He can come out of his stance too high, and then sometimes he'll be too far out over his feet, but when his leverage is right, he can go speed to power and embarrass the lineman. Good chop move, good swim, he'll spin but it's not super effective. Speaking of, he can be incredibly undisciplined with some of his moves, taking himself out of position, giving up rushing lanes, abandoning edge containment, and it happens a little too often. And it's really the lack of of discipline that bugs me throughout the game. He's also not a great tackler, kind of dives around a lot and will miss the ball carrier. He's not great in space, and he doesn't bend the edge very well... look for a mediocre three cone and shuttle. 

There are also times when he looks like the most unstoppable player on the field. Watch the Florida game, or the Louisville game... sheesh. Just a wrecking ball. There are plays where he sets up a blocker and hits them with a counter, and even plays where he has to go to his second or third move to beat the blocker, and has some success. If he can refine his technique, and stabilize his attacks, he can be a pretty good DE and pass rusher. If he's disciplined, he can hold up against the run. I don't see him having a high ceiling in the NFL and being a consistent double digit sack guy, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a long career. Think Brandon Graham.

Are you going through the guys in that 10-20 range? Nice to read your reports. Thanks. Who's your favorite so far in our area of the draft?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Appreciate your reports a lot! Will you be doing more of guys we might pick at 15 possibly?

9 hours ago, stitches said:

Are you going through the guys in that 10-20 range? Nice to read your reports. Thanks. Who's your favorite so far in our area of the draft?

8 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Appreciate your reports a lot! Will you be doing more of guys we might pick at 15 possibly?

Yeah, just simple stuff to save my thoughts on these guys before I move on. I started watching some of Byron Murphy and Jer'Zhan Newton, I'll post on them soon. I might post on Bowers, I still think he goes top ten, but oh well. Chop Robinson, Latu... I already posted on Brian Thomas. Maybe some of the corners.

Also gonna try to do a full mock next week... 😬

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, just simple stuff to save my thoughts on these guys before I move on. I started watching some of Byron Murphy and Jer'Zhan Newton, I'll post on them soon. I might post on Bowers, I still think he goes top ten, but oh well. Chop Robinson, Latu... I already posted on Brian Thomas. Maybe some of the corners.

Like full off-season mock? Or mock draft? 

20 minutes ago, stitches said:

I want to make one too, but I still haven't gotten into the draft much. 

When I said 'don't quote me,' I just meant don't hold me to my prediction that I'm going to get a full mock done. I didn't mean I don't want you to quote my post, LOL. Just wanted to clarify.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Can I convince you to look at DT Leonard Taylor as well? Seems he's the 3rd highest ranked DT, so he might be worth a look?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Superman said:

Full offseason mock. Don't quote me.

8 hours ago, stitches said:

I want to make one too, but I still haven't gotten into the draft much. 

Don't threaten us with a good time!!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Jared Verse, mediocre shuttle and three cone.

I googled Paye's RAS template and they're very similar. Paye didn't run shuttle or 3 cone.

On 2/29/2024 at 12:22 PM, Solid84 said:

Can I convince you to look at DT Leonard Taylor as well? Seems he's the 3rd highest ranked DT, so he might be worth a look?

He had an underwhelming season and ran very poorly at Combine

5.27 for a 3tech is way too slow

at 306 he is too light for 1 tech

in my very humble opinion.  I hope we don’t take him

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Jared Verse, mediocre shuttle and three cone.

Kind of expected... he looks more like a power/explosive rusher than a bender... 

43 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

How did Latu do other than his 40

35 minutes ago, stitches said:

Kind of expected... he looks more like a power/explosive rusher than a bender... 

If we don't address DE in FA, I think we have to look at Either Verse or Latu as round 1 pick

Latu seems to have speed, flexibilty, and advanced pass moves

Verse has speed and power, and needs some time to develop more pass moves

At this stage, I would be happy with either

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Huh?   259 pounds is viewed as bad on this RAS score?    Seriously?   Since when?  That’s nonsense.  

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?   259 pounds is viewed as bad on this RAS score?    Seriously?   Since when?  That’s nonsense.  

9.3 is not bad score. This means he's 93d percentile of all EDGE players who've tested. 

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

If we don't address DE in FA, I think we have to look at Either Verse or Latu as round 1 pick

Latu seems to have speed, flexibilty, and advanced pass moves

Verse has speed and power, and needs some time to develop more pass moves

At this stage, I would be happy with either

I see us adding depth in FA and draft but doubt we go with any big name FA or early pass rushers, it's a down year for pass rushers and I don't see any that will come in and be an immediate upgrade over what we already have.

43 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I see us adding depth in FA and draft but doubt we go with any big name FA or early pass rushers, it's a down year for pass rushers and I don't see any that will come in and be an immediate upgrade over what we already have.

Maybe

Respectfully

We were beaten by Texans where they were down 2 of their WRs. 

We lost

Imagine if they are 100 percent healthy 

Stroud was getting better week after week

He is very talented 

IMHO our teams desperate needs are a markedly improved pass rush and a play making free safety

IMHO if we have more of the same as last year we will have a loooonnnggg year

The top teams generally have an excellent QB, LT, and DE

I think our QB WILL be that excellent QB

Our LT is growing toward that

We are missing that 3rd element.  That DE that other OCs fear

Do you see that guy on this roster?

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Maybe

Respectfully

We were beaten by Texans where they were down 2 of their WRs. 

We lost

Imagine if they are 100 percent healthy 

Stroud was getting better week after week

He is very talented 

IMHO our teams desperate needs are a markedly improved pass rush and a play making free safety

IMHO if we have more of the same as last year we will have a loooonnnggg year

The top teams generally have an excellent QB, LT, and DE

I think our QB WILL be that excellent QB

Our LT is growing toward that

We are missing that 3rd element.  That DE that other OCs fear

Do you see that guy on this roster?

See I just see the problem differently than you. I agree about Free Safety, but to improve against a CJ Stroud type I think we need better coverage LBs to protect the middle of the field and defend against the dump off passes, that and combined with adding another outside CB (I like Jones but we can't rely on him being a starter) it will prevent those easy 2nd/3rd and long dump off/quick passes for 1st downs, it just happened to often and those plays extended drives sometimes leading to points.

In regards CJ Stroud is a very smart QB who will take what you give so by getting rid of those YAC plays will make a huge difference, it will also make him hold the ball longer which will help the pass rush. How I see it we can add another pass rusher but as long as the dump off and quick game is leading to big YAC, it won't make a difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s hi-lited in red.   That’s not good.  

Oh you mean the weight itself. For Latu it's 258 and it's 4.45. Which means he's in the 45th percentile of all DEs who've tested... which is... average-ish. I wouldn't call it poor, it's just weird designation for simplicity sake I would guess... everything below average(which this technically is - barely below average) just shows as red(poor). Maybe they can adjust their designations a bit to better represent the scores. Don't pay too much attention to the color and designation itself. Look at the number and percentile of athlete it shows the player to be. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, stitches said:

Oh you mean the weight itself. For Latu it's 258 and it's 4.45. Which means he's in the 45th percentile of all DEs who've tested... which is... average-ish. I wouldn't call it poor, it's just weird designation for simplicity sake I would guess... everything below average(which this technically is - barely below average) just shows as red(poor). Maybe they can adjust their designations a bit to better represent the scores. Don't pay too much attention to the color and designation itself. Look at the number and percentile of athlete it shows the player to be. 

Thanks.   I appreciate you taking the time to explain to me so thoroughly.  Very kind of you.   I never thought of a 259 pound DE as underweight at all.   Didn't make sense to me.  Now, at least a little more.  

:worthy:       :thmup:     :scoregood:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks.   I appreciate you taking the time to explain to me so thoroughly.  Very kind of you.   I never thought of a 259 pound DE as underweight at all.   Didn't make sense to me.  Now, at least a little more.  

:worthy:       :thmup:     :scoregood:

No worries. Keep in mind that this includes every DE they have test results for, indluding players that didn't get drafted or make an NFL roster. It's possible they are dragging the average up or down. I wish RAS had an option for us to filter the results only for players drafted... or only for day 1 or day 1+ day 2... 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 9:26 PM, Zoltan said:

See I just see the problem differently than you. I agree about Free Safety, but to improve against a CJ Stroud type I think we need better coverage LBs to protect the middle of the field and defend against the dump off passes, that and combined with adding another outside CB (I like Jones but we can't rely on him being a starter) it will prevent those easy 2nd/3rd and long dump off/quick passes for 1st downs, it just happened to often and those plays extended drives sometimes leading to points.

In regards CJ Stroud is a very smart QB who will take what you give so by getting rid of those YAC plays will make a huge difference, it will also make him hold the ball longer which will help the pass rush. How I see it we can add another pass rusher but as long as the dump off and quick game is leading to big YAC, it won't make a difference.

Ballard's 32" armed CB's that have to give room, along with his cheap LB's, are simple foils for easy completions. His $19M LB Leonard once had a game where they had 16 very effective completions attributed to his zone.

We have a problem above our HC.