Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Browns post game reactions

GoColts8818

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

For the record….   Who do you think hired Shane Steichen?    The same Chris Ballard who when he hired SS, Ballard said they see things very much the same.  Ballard then went out and had a good free agency and a fantastic draft.   Recently, you said the pairing of Steichen and Ballard made no sense to you.   It makes sense to THEM, but not to YOU.   So you’re right but they’re wrong?   

Don't see it going past this year.

35 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I really don't understand the Ballard hate right now, frankly he had an amazing offseason. Steichen looks like the right choice. The addition of Matt Gay, Minshew look like great moves, shoot you can go back to the trade for Moss last year has aged very well. Then looking at the Draft Richardson has looked good (just needs to get healthy, but hey even Burrow tore his ACL his first year), Brents has played very well for a rookie, Downs is showing to be a playmaker, Mallory has made some big plays as a 5th rounder and the most amazing Jaylon Jones has quietly been pretty good starter considering he was a 7th round pick. Not saying he hasn't made some pretty bad mistakes but this team is trending in the right direction and change for the sake of change is not a good thing. I think we learned that when Irsay decided to move on from Caldwell and Polian for Grigson and Pagano.

I don’t understand the hate, but I do get the criticism. The criticism is that the Colts are weak at the premium positions and lack depth. Some of the issues the Colts had when Ballard inherited them are still issues. And the Colts have not been able to elevate themselves to be an elite team in the AFC in his time. It’s a fair criticism.

How long has WR been an issue? How long have the Colts needed a number 1 corner (I like what I’ve seen from Brent’s though) and corner depth in general? When is the last time the Colts had an elite edge rusher? Rainman has looked good against non elite edge rushers but LT is also in question considering the precedent set by Castonzo. And it took awhile to find the QB of the future as well. The Colts strengths and weaknesses have remained relatively unchanged in his tenure so far.

You can’t be an elite team when your elite players are at RB, LG, and MLB. I mean it’s nice to have, but those aren’t premium positions. It’s also fair to point towards the Day 1-2 misses, that aren’t outweighed by the hits. Grover Stewart (4th Round pick) does not cancel out missing on Basham, Banogu, Turray, and Lewis (great depth player tbh). Brent’s looking solid does not cancel out missing on Quincy and Rock. The only time you can overlook a miss is when it’s offset by another move that fixes the issue. Like the Eagles passing of Jefferson but then drafting Smith and trading for Brown. 

I think some of the Ballard criticism is fair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

He’s been the top scout when he was with Chicago.   That led him to KC, where he was their top scout.   Which brought him to Indy.

People who follow football for a living know Ballard has a sharp eye for talent. 

R u his brother cause the way u defend him, based on his record, can only mean u r family lol??

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

R u his brother cause the way u defend him, based on his record, can only mean u r family lol??

That can go both ways.

Are you related to Ryan Grigson? Based on your record of twisting everything to be an insult to Ballard or Irsay, we can only assume you are either Grigson himself or his agent/family 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don’t understand the hate, but I do get the criticism. The criticism is that the Colts are weak at the premium positions and lack depth. Some of the issues the Colts had when Ballard inherited them are still issues. And the Colts have not been able to elevate themselves to be an elite team in the AFC in his time. It’s a fair criticism.

How long has WR been an issue? How long have the Colts needed a number 1 corner (I like what I’ve seen from Brent’s though) and corner depth in general? When is the last time the Colts had an elite edge rusher? Rainman has looked good against non elite edge rushers but LT is also in question considering the precedent set by Castonzo. And it took awhile to find the QB of the future as well. The Colts strengths and weaknesses have remained relatively unchanged in his tenure so far.

You can’t be an elite team when your elite players are at RB, LG, and MLB. I mean it’s nice to have, but those aren’t premium positions. It’s also fair to point towards the Day 1-2 misses, that aren’t outweighed by the hits. Grover Stewart (4th Round pick) does not cancel out missing on Basham, Banogu, Turray, and Lewis (great depth player tbh). Brent’s looking solid does not cancel out missing on Quincy and Rock. The only time you can overlook a miss is when it’s offset by another move that fixes the issue. Like the Eagles passing of Jefferson but then drafting Smith and trading for Brown. 

It is fair.  But it’s gonna take some time for some of the promising moves from the new players in the new scheme under a new coach to fully come together. The flashes are there and honestly, outside of the QB play, are getting better each week. 

Furthermore, we were robbed of what would have been our 4th win which would have tied what we did all last season. 

most reasonable fans figured this to be a rough year, with lots of ups and downs. Next year, if we get everyone healthy and on track looks to be a thriller. 

Just now, csmopar said:

It just adds to the overload of ref mistakes this game. 

Yes, that I agree on.  Like I said before I think the mistake there was they got buzzed to review the fumble before they made the call.  They were busy sorting out the call and not worried about being buzzed and once they made the call went over and went why were buzzed and New York said we wanted you to review the fumble but since you made the contact call it’s moot.  So the official just announced to the crowd what they called on the field to explain the brief delay.

24 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

No, sending a letter is not necessary. The forum is here for folks to exchange thoughts, ideas and opinions. Not everyone will agree with each other. That is okay.

I probably should’ve done a better job at indicating sarcasm!

18 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I wish they would.

(I know that doing so would slow down the game.)

Did folks like it when Pass Interference calls can be reviewed?

I think it should be a rule that all penalties in the last two minutes are reviewable and challengeable but only in the final two minutes of a game. 

15 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’d only like it if you took out of the hands of the officials on the field.  I like that college has separate officials apart of all crews that handles all reviews and takes it out of the hands of the guys on the field.

This^

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

In essence….  You’re saying Ballard hires Steichen and a year later Steichen has Ballard fired.    And this makes sense in your mind.   

Goodness gracious…. 

They are almost certainly tied together for years to come. If one were to go, the other would as well. 

The Front Office will get the obligatory apology letter from the League Office about the officiating on Monday….

You should never let the officiating dictate the outcome but those three previous turnovers were the backbreaker for the Colts. We outplayed them outside of those Minshews aka mistakes…

• Like 1

Just now, Scott Pennock said:

The Front Office will get the obligatory apology letter from the League Office about the officiating on Monday….

You should never let the officiating dictate the outcome but those three previous turnovers were the backbreaker for the Colts. We outplayed them outside of those Minshews aka mistakes…

And that crew might not be aloud to work a playoff game…

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

Minstakes 

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I think it should be a rule that all penalties in the last two minutes are reviewable and challengeable but only in the final two minutes of a game. 

This^

Agree with this one 100.%. What’s so hard having a judge up there who can quickly reverse the call. I get it this was different because they are kind of judgement plays but this was just terrible.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

In essence….  You’re saying Ballard hires Steichen and a year later Steichen has Ballard fired.    And this makes sense in your mind.   

Goodness gracious…. 

Yea,  Ballard hired Steichen. My point is this. I think at the end of the season this will happen. Irsay will see that the success of this team is directly related to Steichen's ability as a coach. The failures of this team will be because of the lack of talent on this roster drafted by Ballard . Not hard to comprehend. I actually think Steichen is a type A and won't let inferior players and/ front office personnel stand in his way. By the end of the season, Steichen will have more influence than Ballard, and I believe that will cause some tension. Irsay will choose Steichen and Steichen will bring his own guy.  U can love or hate Ballard, but u cannot argue with his overall record and his inability to draft game changing players after 8 years.

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I thought they were mentally weak? 

What’s that have to do with having swag?  The defense still breaks form at the wrong times. Then add the turnovers.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yea,  Ballard hired Steichen. My point is this. I think at the end of the season this will happen. Irsay will see that the success of this team is directly related to Steichen's ability as a coach. The failures of this team will be because of the lack of talent on this roster drafted by Ballard . Not hard to comprehend. I actually think Steichen is a type A and won't let inferior players and/ front office personnel stand in his way. By the end of the season, Steichen will have more influence than Ballard, and I believe that will cause some tension. Irsay will choose Steichen and Steichen will bring his own guy.  U can love or hate Ballard, but u cannot argue with his overall record and his inability to draft game changing players after 8 years.

Steichen says he loves Ballard. Irsay is not firing Ballard as long as they fight hard like today. I think Steichen will be good for Ballard and will push him which is a good thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What’s that have to do with having swag?  The defense still breaks form at the wrong times. Then add the turnovers.

Steichen says he loves Ballard. Irsay is not firing Ballard as long as they fight hard like today.

Yeah and a lot of people say they love their spouses,  but a  a lot can happen over a 17 game achedule. Lol.

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Steichen says he loves Ballard. Irsay is not firing Ballard as long as they fight hard like today.

Yeah and a lot of people say they love their spouses,  but a  a lot can happen over a 17 game achedule. Lol.

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I believe this is a fair review of the Ballard record. Some very good decisions; some real stinkers. And a home run here and there. 
I also agree that the premium positions in today’s NFL have not been effectively addressed by Ballard. WR1; CB1;  LT; DE; and  until last draft, QB. 
And, because Ballard relies so heavily on the draft, his consistent trading back from decent spots in round 1 to pick up extra second rounders has had mixed results at best. You’d better be extra good at finding the hidden gems when you pass on players who could fill those premium positions you haven’t yet filled. Unfortunately, Ballard’s results in round 2 have often been disappointing. 

That said, he’s also had some big hits, and it does feel like the team is belatedly headed in a good direction. So the Ballard record is a mixed bag that still has a couple of chapters left to define it. He isn’t going anywhere this year; next season, however, the GM seat could get very warm if the Colts miss the playoffs once again. 

• Like 2

Just now, Hoose said:

I believe this is a fair review of the Ballard record. Some very good decisions; some real stinkers. And a home run here and there. 
I also agree that the premium positions in today’s NFL have not been effectively addressed by Ballard. WR1; CB1;  LT; DE; and  until last draft, QB. 
And, because Ballard relies so heavily on the draft, his consistent trading back from decent spots in round 1 to pick up extra second rounders has had mixed results at best. You’d better be extra good at finding the hidden gems when you pass on players who could fill those premium positions you haven’t yet filled. Unfortunately, Ballard’s results in round 2 have often been disappointing. 

That said, he’s also had some big hits, and it does feel like the team is belatedly headed in a good direction. So the Ballard record is a mixed bag that still has a couple of chapters left to define it. He isn’t going anywhere this year; next season, however, the GM seat could get very warm if the Colts miss the playoffs once again. 

You can say that about just about any GM in the league.  

• Shive locked this topic
  • Shive unlocked this topic

Today proved this team has the talent to win a lot of games.  This one today denied only by the refs against the supposedly best defense in the league.  Hopefully they shake it off quickly and get ready for the Saints.  I think the wins are going to start coming.  The team is heading in the right direction.  Just need to move on and stay the course.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Today proved this team has the talent to win a lot of games.  This one today denied only by the refs against the supposedly best defense in the league.  Hopefully they shake it off quickly and get ready for the Saints.  I think the wins are going to start coming.  The team is heading in the right direction.  Just need to move on and stay the course.  

I think when you add it all up, we need to keep remembering we weren’t expected to win that many games. And here we are competing for almost every game we’ve played and even hang with some big dogs.

Stinks AR won’t have the experience from this year but another year for Ballard to address the roster should help him acclimate once he’s back.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Yeah this is part of learning to win.  The Colts are a young team, they are going to have ups and downs.  I am just glad they are watchable unlike last year.  Minshew at least belongs in the NFL which is more than you can say about anyone but Sam who played QB last year for the Colts.  

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Taylor looks very healthy and it’s nice to have him back. He is going to rip some long TD runs before the season is over.

Agreed. He played with a ton of effort. I said it in the game day thread but that’s gonna be what’s needed to rehab his image with some fans.

• Like 2