Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade Deadline (MERGE)

sb41champs

Trade Deadline?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Colts Trade FOR a Player Before the Trade Deadline?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will the Colts TRADE a Player Away Before the Trade Deadline?

• Yes
    • No

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

People expecting a big trade were kidding themselves.  We go through this every year and all the time Ballard has been here he’s made one trade at the deadline,  last year when he acquired Moss and that was fueled by Hines wanting out.

yes and every year were made to look like *s for not trading ...smh ballard needs to go

• Like 2

Just now, Indeee said:

I personally was expecting them to move Moss. That was about it. 

Keeping him proves nothing and we get nothing for him in return. We have Trey Sermon who is capable should JT go down especially on a team who isn't playoff bound or at least shouldn't be.

This was the biggest blunder Imo, and if we somehow try to resign him in the off-season, then truly Ballard needs to be nixed, if not before seasons end.

Yeah, I just expected to move Moss. I was hoping to add Jaylon Johnson or Rasul Douglas since we needed a corner, but I mostly wanted to move Moss for a pick as it would add a draft pick and help tank for a higher draft pick. Instead we stand pat, and accomplish nothing.

• Like 1

Colts fans need to understand that Indianapolis isn't a destination for pro athletes. It is what it is. Once in a blue moon we can land someone like Buckner who wants to be here but thats about it. It really just isn't and never was a sexy destination for athletes, simple as that. Most should know this by now since its a historical issue.

2 minutes ago, r a y s k i said:

Colts fans need to understand that Indianapolis isn't a destination for pro athletes. It is what it is. Once in a blue moon we can land someone like Buckner who wants to be here but thats about it. It really just isn't and never was a sexy destination for athletes, simple as that. Most should know this by now since its a historical issue.

It’s why sometimes you have to overpay when it’s not a great destination.

Just stick this here. Nov 12th is the deadline to sign your players to extensions. Otherwise it had to wait until the season is over. Will be watching if Pittman gets done.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep, and Ballard isn't willing to overpay most of the time, which is why we aren't aggressive in FA and rely on the draft.

Jags did this last season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I personally was expecting them to move Moss. That was about it. 

Keeping him proves nothing and we get nothing for him in return. We have Trey Sermon who is capable should JT go down especially on a team who isn't playoff bound or at least shouldn't be.

This was the biggest blunder Imo, and if we somehow try to resign him in the off-season, then truly Ballard needs to be nixed, if not before seasons end.

That’s how it works for the vast majority of players in the NFL.  Also, they may keep him.  Yes I know some around here are convinced he’s going to get a starter chance next year, and he might, but a lot of people were convinced after the Ravens game there was no way the Colts would be able to keep Minshew this off-season because someone would give him a starting chance.  How’s that looking now?  

I know fans don’t want to hear this but Ballard in all likely hood isn’t going anywhere.  Irsay decided to double down on him when he cleaned house last year and didn’t dump Ballard.  New GMs want their own coaches and Irsay wouldn’t have let Ballard hire a new coach if he was going to dump him in a year and the new GM would then likely dump the new coach.  

I get it people are worked up because they wanted a trade.  It didn’t happen and Irsay is probably on board or he would have ordered Ballard to make a trade if he really wanted one.  I see nothing about today that’s going to change Ballard’s job status.

Ballard also wasn’t going to do a bad deal to just make a deal.  From the sounds of it Ballard listened, at least if Destin is correct, and people tried to low ball him.  That sets the standard for how teams will deal with you in the future.  

• Like 2

Just now, John Waylon said:

I don’t know why Ballard tried to hold out for a higher pick for Moss, I have more faith in him in the 4th round or later than I do the first 3. 🤷🏻‍♂️

That's another reason I was frustrated. I have faith Ballard can hit on a day 3 pick. So the pick isn't a throwaway pick.

Just now, John Waylon said:

I don’t know why Ballard tried to hold out for a higher pick for Moss, I have more faith in him in the 4th round or later than I do the first 3. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Because if he signs in FA It could give them a even higher copensatory pick. SF will also get that pick back for young if he goes elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Just stick this here. Nov 12th is the deadline to sign your players to extensions. Otherwise it had to wait until the season is over. Will be watching if Pittman gets done.

Jags did this last season.

Yeah, the Jags built around Trevor Lawrence. Christian Kirk is really good and they managed to hit on 6 FAs. Really made their team better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep, and Ballard isn't willing to overpay most of the time, which is why we aren't aggressive in FA and rely on the draft.

Both Ballard and Irsay has shown many times we are willing to pay but its 2023 and with social media athletes have way more opportunities on the coasts. Simple as that. 

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Because if he signs in FA It could give them a even higher copensatory pick. SF will also get that pick back for young if he goes elsewhere.

True, but we don't get that pick until 2025. Also, we have to sign less FA than are signed by other teams. So it's not a guarantee at that point. A 4th rounder (hypothetically if that was the offer) would be a guarantee.

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s why sometimes you have to overpay when it’s not a great destination.

I'd take less to go to either coasts rather than move to Indy. Even Mcafee has talked about this before. Its a historical issue and not just to the Colts but to other pro franchises in Indiana. 

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, the Jags built around Trevor Lawrence. Christian Kirk is really good and they managed to hit on 6 FAs. Really made their team better.

Jags also picked up Ezra Cleveland from the Vikings today for a 6th round draft pick. 2020 2nd round pick with 49 starts,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, r a y s k i said:

Both Ballard and Irsay has shown many times we are willing to pay but its 2023 and with social media athletes have way more opportunities on the coasts. Simple as that. 

Winning cures everything. Players would come to us if we win. Unfortunately, with our location and also losing, it's hard to sign quality FAs without overpaying. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Jags also picked up Ezra Cleveland from the Vikings today for a 6th round draft pick. 2020 2nd round pick with 49 starts,

Yeah, I thought that was a sneaky trade. He's a FA at the end of the year, but they can re-sign him by Nov 12, and he's a quality player. They took advantage of the Vikings selling.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Young's problem isn't a lack os production, it's injuries. When he's healthy he's better than Paye. Paye's problem is he's not a passrusher - he's an edge-setter. We needed a passrusher when we drafted Paye, instead we've got a player with the kind of talent you can find later in the draft.

Young had a good rookie year and after 8 games this season he's matched or exceeded what Paye has done in his best full season. That's a good enough reason to spend a 3rd rounder on a premium position where we sorely need the talent, to me at least.

Again, we'll not agree on this. Good talk though, geniunely mean that. :thmup:

My thing isn't the 3rd rounder it's the contract he will want, in addition to resigning our own players and filling the holes we have in combination how much of a increase of ability we are getting from where we currently are at at DE. That's where I don't think it's worth it.

Yeah it's been a good chat. Its always great when you can have a debate where each side makes good points and it doesn't dissolve into name calling. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Winning cures everything. Players would come to us if we win. Unfortunately, with our location and also losing, it's hard to sign quality FAs without overpaying. 

Even with Manning, one of the winningest franchises of the 21st century, the Colts have struggled to sign meaningful FAs, again its a historical issue.

• Like 1

Just now, r a y s k i said:

Even with Manning, one of the winningest franchises of the 21st century, the Colts have struggled to sign meaningful FAs, again its a historical issue.

That's more of how Polian ran things as a GM in the Manning days. Ballard is the same way. Grigson was a FA guy, he just couldn't draft. Unfortunately, we didn't have a GM who was good at both.

That's another reason I was frustrated. I have faith Ballard can hit on a day 3 pick. So the pick isn't a throwaway pick.

And even if he whiffs on a player in those rounds it’s a lot less disruptive than missing earlier. Chances are we won’t have to chew on regret because he picks a washout instead of a game-wrecker picked two picks later instead. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Which is why we need to wait until the off-season before trashing Ballard. Once you have your QB you really shouldn’t be giving away picks. Now we have the QB we can start doing that:

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Because if he signs in FA It could give them an even higher copensatory pick. SF will also get that pick back for young if he goes elsewhere.

Oh come now. No one is giving Moss a bag that big. Someone is going to give him an opportunity, but it’s going to be a modest one at best. 

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Which is why we need to wait until the off-season before trashing Ballard. Once you have your QB you really shouldn’t be giving away picks. Now we have the QB we can start doing that:

but do we really have our QB is the question..cause for all we know ..that surgery could change AR for the worst...not trying to sound like a negative nancy ..but it is possible 

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's more of how Polian ran things as a GM in the Manning days. Ballard is the same way. Grigson was a FA guy, he just couldn't draft. Unfortunately, we didn't have a GM who was good at both.

Because there is no both in Indy. We always been a drafting team.

The very reason we have Ballard as the GM who has been linked as one of the best scouting front office personal in the league well before his tenure in Indy (CHI, KC) is because he can draft. If we don't have a good drafting GM and we have an injury, ala Manning or Luck, we go 2-15. 

One could argue, that getting Buckner in, was the best FA/Trade move in the past 30 years. 

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I was expecting Ballard to build around whichever QB we ended up drafting at the start of FA last year. Ballard may not have known we were getting Richardson 100% at the start of FA, but he knew we were getting a QB guaranteed. So he should have built around the QB more. Hopefully, with Matt Ryan's contract off the books, we build around Richardson next FA. It's just hard to keep giving Ballard chance after chance. You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, I thought that was a sneaky trade. He's a FA at the end of the year, but they can re-sign him by Nov 12, and he's a quality player. They took advantage of the Vikings selling.

It really was. He is grading out as the #8 guard currently.

6th is a steal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, r a y s k i said:

Because there is no both in Indy. We always been a drafting team.

The very reason we have Ballard as the GM who has been linked as one of the best scouting front office personal in the league, is because he can draft. If we don't have a good drafting GM and we have an injury, ala Manning or Luck, we go 2-15. 

One could argue, that getting Buckner in, was the best FA/Trade move in the past 30 years. 

Slippery slope though - puts the GM in a position of having to be almost perfect in draft, which no GM is. Polian did well hitting on offensive lineman after the 3rd round which strengthened many of his drafts. While Ballard has stayed with the philosophy of primarily building through the draft and uncovering hidden potential via UDFA or waiver wire, many others GM's are very active using all means available to build a roster and manage the Cap. I do believe Ballard is also stubborn in the fact that he has stuck far too long with some draft picks and signings that never lived up to expectations at any point. I believe this has impacted the quality of depth on the roster. This current team also has some excellent draft picks who have underperformed after signing lucrative second contracts.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Just heard a good thought on why it was smart to keep moss. It’s a loss season so don’t put extra mileage on Taylor when we aren’t going anywhere. Going to be watching this rest of season.

Yeah, running back market is garbage. They were never going to get true value for him. This was san excellent trade for the Colts - glad they kept him. Hope they can resign him.

1 minute ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Slippery slope though - puts the GM in a position of having to be almost perfect in draft, which no GM is. Polian did well hitting on offensive lineman after the 3rd round which strengthened many of his drafts. While Ballard has stayed with the philosophy of primarily building through the draft and uncovering hidden potential via UDFA or waiver wire, many others GM's are very active using all means available to build a roster and manage the Cap. I do believe Ballard is also stubborn in the fact that he has stuck far too long with some draft picks and signings that never lived up to expectations at any point. I believe this has impacted the quality of depth on the roster. This current team also has some excellent draft picks who have underperformed after signing lucrative second contracts.

I think, given the fact how insanely poor this team was when he took over, he has done pretty well.

But the issue still remains, we always have and always will struggle to sign quality free agents because of the location of the franchise. Same with Pacers. 

Even Mcafee mentioned it before how much of a pain in the bum it is to have his show in Indy.

Pro athletes in the social media age are now looking beyond contracts and beyond their playing time and can carve out second careers much easier than ever before when given the right platform and I just don't believe that platform exists in Indiana.

I could be wrong, I just don't blame Ballard the same way I didn't blame Grigson or Polian for the lack of quality signings throughout the last 30 years.

24 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yes and anytime who thinks otherwise is wrong.

I don't think that's fair.  The FO themselves have to be thinking about it.  Let's say we have a top 5 draft pick and a really good QB prospect is sitting there.  That has to be a consideration with AR's injury record.

I think he's going to succeed, but only if he's not a running QB.  We want a mobile QB (everyone wants a Mahomes).  We don't want a Lamar who plays 12 games a year, or an RG3.

IMO, a mobile, accurate pocket passer is still the best long term option for any franchise.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, r a y s k i said:

I think, given the fact how insanely poor this team was when he took over, he has done pretty well.

But the issue still remains, we always have and always will struggle to sign quality free agents because of the location of the franchise. Same with Pacers. 

Even Mcafee mentioned it before how much of a pain in the bum it is to have his show in Indy.

Pro athletes in the social media age are now looking beyond contracts and beyond their playing time and can carve out second careers much easier than ever before when given the right platform and I just don't believe that platform exists in Indiana.

I could be wrong, I just don't blame Ballard the same way I didn't blame Grigson or Polian for the lack of quality signings throughout the last 30 years.

That is a good take on the situation. In the end - players want to get paid and they want to win.

I believe if Richardson works out, it will assist in attracting players to Indy. The Franchise has been stuck in QB purgatory for quite some time now, and creates a big overpay scenario to sign other players.