Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts at Jags post game reaction

GoColts8818

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I had us 8-8-1, the tie was just to be funny but I could see a tie. We have already played in 2 OT games.

You’ve also predicted 5 of 6 wins so far in the predictions threads so far, so something doesn’t add up lol. haha

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

You’ve also predicted 5 of 6 wins so far in the predictions threads so far, so something doesn’t add up lol. haha

It is because with the Colts, I just pick with my heart most of the time when it comes to picking for fun. I rarely pick us to lose on purpose. I did pick the Ravens to beat us and that didn't age well. lmao 

On our before season picks, I clearly posted 8-8-1 and did several times.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think it will be a tough game but we haven't lost 2 in a row all season so I think we squeeze one out. Their offense doesn't impress at all. Teams that we have lost too so far are capable of scoring a lot of points and have had the superior QB. Lawerence twice and Stafford. We can and have actually thrive in low scoring games. In our 3 wins, we have held the Texans to 20, Ravens 19, and Titans 16.

I don't make a lot of predictions, but the Browns defensive front is going to dominate this game. Maybe we get lucky and make some high variance plays, but on paper, this is a terrible matchup for the Colts. Especially on offense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I don't make a lot of predictions, but the Browns defensive front is going to dominate this game. Maybe we get lucky and make some high variance plays, but on paper, this is a terrible matchup for the Colts. Especially on offense.

I think it will be a low scoring game. Turnovers as usual could very well be the key. Maybe we can get them to turn it over 2 or 3 times.

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

Maybe we can force turnovers on defense and get some cheap points. But I expect our offense to struggle mightily. 

Just watching the OL play, I know the line has gotten some credit for improving in recent weeks. But all along, we've been allowing a lot of pressure, we haven't been moving the LOS in the run game, most of our success running has been due to scheme and some defensive mistakes. And while Ryan Kelly is good pre-snap, he's not dominating physically, and we've been getting the ball out quickly to limit pass rush impact. We can't win in short yardage. Etc.

And a lot of that showed up yesterday against the Jags. They were disciplined, they were faster and more physical up front, and our offense crumbled, running and passing. And the Browns are much better up front than the Jags.

I still think the OL is a problem. There's some promise with some young guys, and Nelson is back on track, but we're not physical enough, bottom line.

Having looked at PFF grades a lot the grades for pass blocking especially don’t add always add up for me. 

I feel our QBs have been under siege a lot of games and besides a couple of games the run blocking hasn’t been good either. 

Leaps and bounds better than last year, but run blocking is a far cry from 2021. 

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Having looked at PFF grades a lot the grades for pass blocking especially don’t add always add up for me. 

I feel our QBs have been under siege a lot of games and besides a couple of games the run blocking hasn’t been good either. 

Leaps and bounds better than last year, but run blocking is a far cry from 2021. 

I've never been a huge proponent of PFF grades, but they've taken over as the authority, which is understandable. I still have a hard time reconciling some of their grading with what I think I'm seeing, though. And like you said, our OL grades are an example. 

I also think we've done a lot with scheme to help the OL, in both phases. And that's a good thing, but you watch Moss' big TD run last week and see how hard the defense bit on Richardson, and it's immediately obvious that we don't have that ability when Minshew is back there. And in the passing game, you can go quick to help the OL, but at times you just have to be able to give the QB time to make a play, and I don't think we've excelled in those situations.

I am very down after Richardson's injury and subsequent news about the severity of it. It's quite possibly the worst thing to happen to this franchise since Luck's retirement. This seems like a lost season and it's just week 6. We are not competitive(at the highest level) and I didn't expect us to be competitive so... not much to look forward to in this regard. And the most important thing for this Colts team this year - Richardson's development, has turned into a complete bust. He played only about 10 quarters worth of snaps and we will need to wait until next year to see any progression or improvement whatsoever. And this is the one thing he needed the most - experience and snaps. Absolute bust of a season in that regard too. Quite honestly... I would have preferred him looking worse to start off but being healthy and able to get into rhythm as the season progressed... alas... 

I guess the positive is - he didn't look out of place when he was actually playing and he was showing some good things, but I thought there was a lot that needed improvement. The hope now is that this injury won't derail his development :( 

(I guess this is not specifically Jags game reaction, but yah... this is what I wanted to share and what's at the front of my mind even after that game so... apologies...) 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I've never been a huge proponent of PFF grades, but they've taken over as the authority, which is understandable. I still have a hard time reconciling some of their grading with what I think I'm seeing, though. And like you said, our OL grades are an example. 

I also think we've done a lot with scheme to help the OL, in both phases. And that's a good thing, but you watch Moss' big TD run last week and see how hard the defense bit on Richardson, and it's immediately obvious that we don't have that ability when Minshew is back there. And in the passing game, you can go quick to help the OL, but at times you just have to be able to give the QB time to make a play, and I don't think we've excelled in those situations.

Yeah, I think the difference between PFF and fan observation is what PFF actually grades. Seems PFF are more focused on individual performance and what a players adds to a play than the actual result of the play. Fans are far more focused on the result I would think. 

I think you are spot on with the last part - giving the QB time when a big play is needed. That’s been a big weak spot in my opinion. 

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I think you are spot on with the last part - giving the QB time when a big play is needed. That’s been a big weak spot in my opinion. 

That, and short yardage run blocking.

I've always said, you can scheme protections, but when it's 3rd and short and you need to make a play on the ground, it comes down to whether you can block the guy across from you or not. And so far this year, we've lost a lot more of those than we've won.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

I am very down after Richardson's injury and subsequent news about the severity of it. It's quite possibly the worst thing to happen to this franchise since Luck's retirement. This seems like a lost season and it's just week 6. We are not competitive(at the highest level) and I didn't expect us to be competitive so... not much to look forward to in this regard. And the most important thing for this Colts team this year - Richardson's development, has turned into a complete bust. He played only about 10 quarters worth of snaps and we will need to wait until next year to see any progression or improvement whatsoever. And this is the one thing he needed the most - experience and snaps. Absolute bust of a season in that regard too. Quite honestly... I would have preferred him looking worse to start off but being healthy and able to get into rhythm as the season progressed... alas... 

I guess the positive is - he didn't look out of place when he was actually playing and he was showing some good things, but I thought there was a lot that needed improvement. The hope now is that this injury won't derail his development :( 

(I guess this is not specifically Jags game reaction, but yah... this is what I wanted to share and what's at the front of my mind even after that game so... apologies...) 

Is it the nature of the injury that bugs you? Would you be just disappointed if he had a torn ACL and was clearly out for the season? 

I get being upset, and seeing this as a setback to his development. I just don't know if I see it as such a drastic disappointment. Injuries happen, it's a fact of life in the NFL. 

Just now, Superman said:

Is it the nature of the injury that bugs you? Would you be just disappointed if he had a torn ACL and was clearly out for the season? 

I get being upset, and seeing this as a setback to his development. I just don't know if I see it as such a drastic disappointment. Injuries happen, it's a fact of life in the NFL. 

The nature of the injury adds a bit to my anxiety about the recovery, but it's mainly about him having to miss a season he needed to play in and develop in. And then add to it that it's an injury(and possible surgery) for the shoulder of the throwing arm of a QB... 

It's just a huge let down. Like I said - lost season all around IMO. This was priority no. 1, no. 2 and no. 3 in my books - getting Richardson playing in games(experience), development, having healthy season. And it's all done now. Week 5. And add the anxiety from the uncertainty that gets introduced by a serious injury to a QB who hasn't developed yet. 

I am a Jazz fan in the NBA and this reminds me of Dante Exum. He showed some promise, but then just got pummelled by injuries and never got a chance to develop his game. This is especially important for a player that needs to play and needs to learn and develop his game. 

• Like 2

Colin Cowherd and his sidekick, who watched the entire game, just talked about the game.  They both think the Colts are way undervalued.  The sidekick went over the stats of the game highlighting how the Colts actually outplayed the Jags.  The reason they lost was on Minchews horrible play.  Roster wise they like the team a lot.   They love the OL and DL and the return of Taylor.  They both think they are two players away.  A WR and a CB.  Other than that they think we have a strong roster and could surprise a lot of people.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RollerColt said:

We were defeated by a superior team. I know that's hard for us to admit, but it's the fact. The Jaguars this season are superior. They have a better QB, wide receivers, LT and edge rushers. They have all 4 required elements to be a playoff team. 

And we knew that before the season started.

What annoys me about yesterday's game is not that we didn't run more. It's that we didn't have a plan to beat their base defense with our 11 personnel, which is like a cardinal sin in today's NFL. Defenses play more nickel than base these days because they don't want to get beat by the passing game. The Jags defiantly stayed in base, daring us to force them out of it, and we couldn't. Instead, we turned the ball over and dropped passes. Some of that is scheme, but it's mostly execution.

And other factors add to my frustration -- getting swept by the Jags, losing in Jacksonville again, making big mistakes in crucial situations (that late kickoff was a head scratcher). But ultimately, we lost to a better team, and that's not surprising.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Colin Cowherd and his sidekick, who watched the entire game, just talked about the game.  They both think the Colts are way undervalued.  The sidekick went over the stats of the game highlighting how the Colts actually outplayed the Jags.  The reason they lost was on Minchews horrible play.  Roster wise they like the team a lot.   They love the OL and DL and the return of Taylor.  They both think they are two players away.  A WR and a CB.  Other than that they think we have a strong roster and could surprise a lot of people.  

If we could add a big WR, CB and S and AR healthy and ready I think we’d look like a threat to any team. 

Edit:

But then I’d also like at least one upgrade at LB (controversial, I know) because holy poop can our LBs not cover. 

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

AR will be fine. I’d rather have his injury profile than Tua, who is 1 concussion away from an early retirement. But QBs get hurt early in their career. Watson and Burrow are two others that come to mind. I think he’ll be fine once he learns how to avoid contact so much. I’m not hitting the panic button yet. 

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

The nature of the injury adds a bit to my anxiety about the recovery, but it's mainly about him having to miss a season he needed to play in and develop in. And then add to it that it's an injury(and possible surgery) for the shoulder of the throwing arm of a QB... 

It's just a huge let down. Like I said - lost season all around IMO. This was priority no. 1, no. 2 and no. 3 in my books - getting Richardson playing in games(experience), development, having healthy season. And it's all done now. Week 5. And add the anxiety from the uncertainty that gets introduced by a serious injury to a QB who hasn't developed yet. 

I am a Jazz fan in the NBA and this reminds me of Dante Exum. He showed some promise, but then just got pummelled by injuries and never got a chance to develop his game. This is especially important for a player that needs to play and needs to learn and develop his game. 

That's kind of a worst case example, though. Compare to Embiid in the same draft class, who was raw and had question marks, and he missed his first two seasons entirely. He just won MVP. Julius Randle was in the same draft class, he missed all but one game as a rookie, but turned out okay. 

And the main difference between a guy like Embiid and a guy like Exum is probably just that Embiid is better, and maybe Exum didn't develop because, like a lot of raw but talented guys, he just wasn't good enough to make it in the NBA. I mean, he played his entire rookie season, and averaged 4.8 points/game, as the fifth pick in the draft, on a bad team. That's already a little underwhelming. 

It's a huge letdown, but it was always a possibility. Just like it is for every player on every team. Guys get injured every week. It sucks that it's the guy we're hoping will become our franchise QB, but I don't think it reflects on the operation or even the trajectory in a meaningful way. Sure, it slows his development, but I think we saw enough to know that we can build around Richardson moving forward, we don't need to keep looking for a QB, this team will go as far as he can take us. In my mind, we can turn the page to the next phase of team building in 2024.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

This is a reasonable assessment. I think the Colts got outplayed and outcoached by a better team, but there were still some chances for us to make some plays. The big difference in the game was turnovers; it's not often you see a team held to less than 300 yards of offense but they score 37 points. And some of the plays we gave up were simple mistakes on the back end.

I'm gonna rewatch, but I thought the defense was better vs the Jags than it was against the Rams a couple weeks ago.

17 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

First don’t listen to Cowherd it’s bad for your health lol.

All kidding aside that’s why I keep saying don’t panic about yesterday.  This part of the process.

24 minutes ago, stitches said:

Not sure how old you are but if you are in your 40's, I bet you miss Stockton and Malone. They were flat out awesome!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's kind of a worst case example, though. Compare to Embiid in the same draft class, who was raw and had question marks, and he missed his first two seasons entirely. He just won MVP. Julius Randle was in the same draft class, he missed all but one game as a rookie, but turned out okay. 

And the main difference between a guy like Embiid and a guy like Exum is probably just that Embiid is better, and maybe Exum didn't develop because, like a lot of raw but talented guys, he just wasn't good enough to make it in the NBA. I mean, he played his entire rookie season, and averaged 4.8 points/game, as the fifth pick in the draft, on a bad team. That's already a little underwhelming. 

It's a huge letdown, but it was always a possibility. Just like it is for every player on every team. Guys get injured every week. It sucks that it's the guy we're hoping will become our franchise QB, but I don't think it reflects on the operation or even the trajectory in a meaningful way. Sure, it slows his development, but I think we saw enough to know that we can build around Richardson moving forward, we don't need to keep looking for a QB, this team will go as far as he can take us. In my mind, we can turn the page to the next phase of team building in 2024.

I hope you are right. IMO there are players that will succeed almost no matter what circumstances you put them in. And there are some that will fail almost not matter what circumstances you put them in, but the vast majority are influenced by their environment, luck, etc. 

Lets hope AR has more good things on his side than that negative of this injuiry and he can overcome it. With that said... I don't know what the Colts do if my some chance they end up in position to draft Williams or Maye... 

23 minutes ago, Superman said:

And we knew that before the season started.

What annoys me about yesterday's game is not that we didn't run more. It's that we didn't have a plan to beat their base defense with our 11 personnel, which is like a cardinal sin in today's NFL. Defenses play more nickel than base these days because they don't want to get beat by the passing game. The Jags defiantly stayed in base, daring us to force them out of it, and we couldn't. Instead, we turned the ball over and dropped passes. Some of that is scheme, but it's mostly execution.

And other factors add to my frustration -- getting swept by the Jags, losing in Jacksonville again, making big mistakes in crucial situations (that late kickoff was a head scratcher). But ultimately, we lost to a better team, and that's not surprising.

I think we had a plan and were using it. But the plan failed when Minshew suddenly was inaccurate and made the wrong reads. You could tell Steichen was trying to throw the defense out of that base form, spread out the linebackers and create pockets for Moss to take advantage of. But the Jags know Minshew better than anyone and had all week to prepare for him.  

On top of everything else, every time we play Jacksonville odd things just happen… 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

I hope you are right. IMO there are players that will succeed almost no matter what circumstances you put them in. And there are some that will fail almost not matter what circumstances you put them in, but the vast majority are influenced by their environment, luck, etc. 

Lets hope AR has more good things on his side than that negative of this injuiry and he can overcome it. With that said... I don't know what the Colts do if my some chance they end up in position to draft Williams or Maye... 

My biggest fear about Richardson was that he just wouldn't be able to handle the NFL. That fear has been put to rest. We saw special ability from him in college, and now there's solid reason to expect that this ability will translate effectively. So development-wise, this is a setback, but I think we can just pick up where we left off whenever he's ready to play again.

I think the Colts were maybe a little too free with their usage of him right away, but that's a hindsight judgment. I don't think anyone looked at this dude's college tape and his physical profile and expected that he'd have trouble finishing games. And whenever he comes back, I expect a significant adjustment in the way they use him, but the biggest adjustment has to come from Richardson himself. If the Colts were a little too lax, Richardson was entirely reckless, and that has to change.

I know a lot of Colts fans are living in fear because of how things went with Luck. It's not a factor for me. If Andrew Luck was wired like most NFL players, he'd probably still be playing right now. And I don't think the Colts are making the same mistakes they made in 2012-2015. 

I'm still not ready to talk about Drake Maye. People are doing backflips because Caleb Williams had a bad game (legitimately bad on his part; and it was in the making for a couple weeks, he was shaky at times against Arizona, but the special plays outweighed the bad plays for most people). He's still as good as any QB prospect I've seen, and I stand by that.

• Like 4

It was my 10th year in a row walking out of that House of Horrors stadium, just rewatched the game and it actually didn’t look nearly as bad as I thought.

When you are a visiting fan and the turnovers pile up, I believe now 19 turnovers in the past 8 games against them in Jacksonville, there’s no way you can combat that. Lara Overton asked Leonard last week, why do you think we play so poorly there? His answer, I don’t know, Maybe the heat. 

Minshew explained the way it looked all day, he was “Sailing” the Ball all over the place. 

The Tailgate is always the best there, met some great people from Avon and Plainfield, we knew going in not to set expectations too high.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Watching Steichen presser from today. I love his demeaner. Reich always looked dejected after a loss. You would never know they lost so bad yesterday. I really like that.

Funny that Sterling guy doesn't know how the failed kick coverage was on Steichen? He blames the execution? 

It's pretty simple, Instead of just kicking out of the endzone, he tried to get cute, and kick short, in hopes of pinning Jacksonville deep. But with the short kick, Jamal Agnew had tons of room after fielding the kick, making for an easy, long return. Steichen should have learned... every time we play the Jags Agnew kills us with a big return. Very dumb move.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I could be wrong but it felt like 99% shotgun. 

When we had Reich, everything was shotgun. Always in the gun makes it harder to run the ball. I blamed part of our failures last season on this. 

Now it seems Steichen is doing the same. Even when he gets in the short yardage situations, on 3rd and 4th downs. when we only need one yard or less, too many times its from the shotgun.

I wish they would get back to more under center formations. with our two excellent RBs

• Like 1