Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't like the way BUF uses Allen.  I think they do it because of poor coaching and foresight, just forcing him to make big plays either by running or passing, playing him to death so to speak.   SS and the new breed of HC might see things differently, but I don't think Irsay is on board with using his pick 4 QB like Earl Campbell.   

AR when he becomes a starter will be in top 5 qb rushes.   Maybe he transforms eventually.   But they know who they drafted

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I don't know if I'd say staple but a consistent threat.  It's going to be something that is run enough to be accounted for.  I see them running it a lot.  How many times will AR keep?  I'd guess around 3-4 per game. Unless the D crashes everyone toward the middle on every play.   

Man when zone read works, its' like a QB scramble.  They're aren't any bid dudes left in the pic. 

I think the running QB has success when the defense is spread out to a degree.  He's quick enough to find the open space, and maybe juke the off balance crashing defender, but his main role is to still slide when confronted with several defenders.   I don't see the Colts having much success in spreading out defenses if AR's main threat is running outside.....and having an "only" inside runner like JT at RB certainly won't help to spread out the defense. 

25 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Also types above:

Using AR and JT as sort of a two-man wishbone offense where AR runs outside and JT runs inside depending upon the QB read is not going to be a staple.  JMO.

If it turns out that way, then the Colts are simply trying to do what they can with AR because he can't do anything else.  Like Kaep, Lamar, and to some degree Hurts, but unlike AR, who all have/had full rostered teams around them.  But Hurts is a better all around player than the other two.

And Fields failed to create a viable offense or a winning record...because the rest of the team around him that is needed for that kind of QB to be a success....sucked.

Completely disagree.  When you have a read option threat, then you fake the belly and the end around, and drop back with an actual RPO. 

Teams are trying to do this kind of thing Doug.  Some orgs have scrapped conventional thinking.

It will be a few years until we can see the results of this new strategy, whether it words and continues to grow or becomes the run and shoot.

I never thought the pistol formation would last, but last it has. 

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think the running QB has success when the defense is spread out to a degree.  He's quick enough to find the open space, and maybe juke the off balance crashing defender, but his main role is to still slide when confronted with several defenders.   I don't see the Colts having much success in spreading out defenses if AR's main threat is running outside.....and having an "only" inside runner like JT at RB certainly won't help to spread out the defense. 

Well man I'm not talking about that being the only play.  I just think the whole zone read/RPO will be an anchor of this offense.  They go together really well.   It's what steichen did lasttwo years anyway.

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

This is the offense I expect SS to run again this year. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXl_rNtQjhw

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Completely disagree.  When you have a read option threat, then you fake the belly and the end around, and drop back with an actual RPO. 

Teams are trying to do this kind of thing Doug.  Some orgs have scrapped conventional thinking.

It will be a few years until we can see the results of this new strategy, whether it words and continues to grow or becomes the run and shoot.

I never thought the pistol formation would last, but last it has. 

Ok, yes, an RPO, not just a steady planned diet of either running up the gut with JT or around the end with AR.

Option to the belly, option to run it himself, or option to throw.  I don't think the option to run himself is going to be selected as much as folks would like, per Irsay and through SS.

I think ARs rushing yards will come via scramble, and he might be very good at converting a poorly chosen/executed passing option in an RPO into a first down or more...but that's not the same kind of running as the QB keeping the ball in an RPO.  That's the kind of running Lamar and Kaep do, but not really Hurts so much who had other options besides running, IMO.

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Ok, yes, an RPO, not just a steady planned diet of either running up the gut with JT or around the end with AR.

Option to the belly, option to run it himself, or option to throw.  I don't think the option to run himself is going to be selected as much as folks would like, per Irsay and through SS.

I think ARs rushing yards will come via scramble, and he might be very good at converting a poorly chosen/executed passing option in an RPO into a first down or more...but that's not the same kind of running as the QB keeping the ball in an RPO.  That's the kind of running Lamar and Kaep do, but not really Hurts so much who had other options besides running, IMO.

I'm almost certain this is the system we will run.  A lot of times though you give a zone read look, but it's not really a read, it's a predetermined dive, or a predtermined pull by the QB.  Same with RPO.  Many times the belly is just a fake and the play was a pass the whole time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

That's not what the argument was about. Poster said WR was premium for team success. I was giving QBs that excelled without top dollar WRs. Nothing about what the NFL values more. Of course it's WRs over RBs.

You’re looking for a 100 percent rule.   A guy like Mahomes is an exception to the rule.   He also has a weapon like Kelcie.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You’re looking for a 100 percent rule.   A guy like Mahomes is an exception to the rule.   He also has a weapon like Kelcie.  

When did I say it needs to be 100 percent? I gave examples to prove my point. Did I say every QB wins with nobody WRs? No

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Wonder if Taylor would let colts add a year to his deal that way he wouldn’t have to be franchised. He gets a pay raise then colts can talk extension after the year is over.

Taylor has one more year on his rookie deal.   He gets $4.3 mill this year.   

If you want to add one more year to cover 2024, it would likely be a number that the Colts wouldn’t pay.   

Right now, it looks like he’d be tagged next year at roughly $11-$12m so if he’s going to sign, there has to be an incentive.   Otherwise, why do it?  

Hypothetically,  the Colts could sign a one year extension for $15 mill and give JT $5 mill now as a signing bonus and a $10 mill salary in 2024.   If these numbers are off somewhat,  fine, they can get tweaked.  

But it’s hard to see Irsay agreeing to do that.   He’s not happy with the agent community and I’m sure he scored big points with 31 other owners with his recent comment.  

Right now the temperature around Taylor and the Colts is way too hot, it needs to be lowered.   That likely won’t happen before the season begins.  Balllard said publicly he’s willing to sign a deal DURING the season.   Hopefully Taylor is healthy and the line returns to form.   That would be very helpful to both sides. 

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Talk about a guy overplaying his hand and ruining his good image.  He needs to take a look and Barkley and grow up and see if they can come up with a compromise. It would be a real shame if we never get to see him with Richardson.

Taylor and Barkley are NOT on the same time table.   Barkley had no contract and was dealing with a possible tag.  

Taylor was drafted two years later and still has a year to go on his rookie contract.   He does NOT have to do a deal now.  He might want one, but he does NOT have to have it this year. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Taylor and Barkley are NOT on the same time table.   Barkley had no contract and was dealing with a possible tag.  

Taylor was drafted two years later and still has a year to go on his rookie contract.   He does NOT have to do a deal now.  He might want one, but he does NOT have to have it this year. 

Well that makes it even worse for Taylor. 

Some really horrible stuff was dug up about his agent today. He is not a good person.

Just now, throwing BBZ said:

I'm pleased that Irsay nipped a new contract in the bud.

It is Steichen's "Philly" offense, with a Rosenbaum like roster mission.

The big money is needed elsewhere.

If someone wants to pay Taylor we will be listening.

You would think they could come up with a compromise. They could rip up his contact and have him sign a new 2 year deal so he gets a pay raise. He is sulking and the more and more I hear I want to say goodbye.  I know it doesn’t look good probably from the guts on the team but you either want to be here or you don’t. Makes me wonder if they are looking for a trade partner.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Well that makes it even worse for Taylor. 

Some really horrible stuff was dug up about his agent today. He is not a good person.

It doesn’t make it worse for Taylor.   It makes it better.   Because decisions don’t have to be made today or tomorrow or even next month.   That takes pressure off.  

As for the agent, that’s a separate issue.  The only person whose opinion counts is Taylor and not anyone else.   Hopefully Taylor is working with his agent to try and lower the temperature and not raise it.  I don’t rule out the agent could make things worse.   I hope he’s better than that. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It doesn’t make it worse for Taylor.   It makes it better.   Because decisions don’t have to be made today or tomorrow or even next month.   That takes pressure off.  

As for the agent, that’s a separate issue.  The only person whose opinion counts is Taylor and not anyone else.   Hopefully Taylor is working with his agent to try and lower the temperature and not raise it.  I don’t rule out the agent could make things worse.   I hope he’s better than that. 

I have always said I understand holding out if your tagged. I don’t think it’s right when you still have a year.   Of playing when you have a year left is not a good look.

5 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Wonder if Taylor would let colts add a year to his deal that way he wouldn’t have to be franchised. He gets a pay raise then colts can talk extension after the year is over.

I don’t think the Colts are interested in doing anything with his contract right now.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I have always said I understand holding out if your tagged. I don’t think it’s right when you still have a year.   Of playing when you have a year left is not a good look.

I agree,  it’s not a good look.  But it comes at the time when Taylor likely wouldn’t be playing even if he was cleared to.   If he was cleared, the coaches likely wouldn’t have Taylor doing much of anything right now.   Why put Taylor on the field now and risk injury at this early point of the pre-season?   So no real harm is being done now.   

Let’s see what happens with JT come Aug 1, which is the middle of next week.   If he’s not back by then we may be having an entirely different conversation. 

Fair enough?  

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I agree,  it’s not a good look.  But it comes at the time when Taylor likely wouldn’t be playing even if he was cleared to.   If he was cleared, the coaches likely wouldn’t have Taylor doing much of anything right now.   Why put Taylor on the field now and risk injury at this early point of the pre-season?   So no real harm is being done now.   

Let’s see what happens with JT come Aug 1, which is the middle of next week.   If he’s not back by then we may be having an entirely different conversation. 

Fair enough?  

Yep negotiations in sports sometimes get pretty nasty.  We just haven’t seen much at that here with Irsay handing out money like mad to guys who play less important positions and Jacoby Friggin Brissett and a washed up kicker.   But there have been ugly publicity during negotiations that ended up in done deals.

I am SURE JT saw the mint given to a guard and an off the ball LB and a RT and BEFORE their contracts were due and is What the actual you know what?  What about my money?  

This org is a clown show though and it starts with a man child at the top.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Kevin is exactly right here.

Why not see how JT plays post injury and in Steichen’s offense? Just because JT is pouting doesn’t mean you make bad team-building moves or rush a decision. It’s strange how so many people act like the Colts are insulting Taylor. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

This org is a clown show though and it starts with a man child at the top.

Now tell us how you really feel about Irsay! lmao

Irsay can be colorful no doubt and he does speak out on NFL matters at large, but I like that as it add spice to following the Colts, and I don’t think he have hurt the Colts much over the years in regards to the standing in the NFL owner’s group.

Yeah, the drug (possession) thing was an all-time low, and I personally think he screwed Luck up with a terrible GM and a questionable HC, but I neither see Irsay as a man child or the Colts organization as a clown show. Then again, I’m probably one of the very few that liked his impulsive firing of Reich and hiring of a temp HC.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Do you say the same when a team cuts a player without honoring the contract?

Technically cutting is within the contract so it is honoring it.

But this is the main reason that I don’t judge tactics used by players and agents .  They don’t have much legal leverage other than bloviating and sitting.

we shouldn’t give long term big money to a RB.  Bad business.