Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

8 hours ago, stitches said:

How does that work? Do you mean injury settlement and getting him cut? Because that's very likely one of his better options - yes, he will lose 3M in pay but he will be able to go wherever he wants and get paid by that team. Hell, he very likely will get more than those 3M for this year alone. 

I don't think this is good outcome at all. 

Nope, different from an injury settlement. An injury split is negotiated into a lot of contracts, and the result is that when a player goes on IR, his pay for that season gets reduced. I'm not sure whether Taylor has an injury split in his contract, though.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CamMo said:

I know this conversation has moved on to compensation for a trade, but I’m still incredulous as to how it got to this point.

We went from Ballard calling JT a top 5 weapon in the league, to not even offering an extension to show he’s valued.

JT wanted to “retire a Colt”, to wanting out of the franchise by any means. Even by playing up an “injured” ankle and sulking around practice.

We are missing a puzzle piece that will hopefully come out when this guy is traded. I’m over it at this point. Trade to the highest bidder and focus on developing ARich.

I don't think we're missing anything. Taylor wants a new contract right now, the Colts are unwilling to offer it right now, and he's being disruptive enough to cause the Colts to consider trading him. For him, it's a high stakes negotiation, and he's using whatever tools he can to try to get what he wants, which is a new contract. I believe that he'd accept that new contract from the Colts, if they were willing to meet his expectations on his timeline.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Nope, different from an injury settlement. An injury split is negotiated into a lot of contracts, and the result is that when a player goes on IR, his pay for that season gets reduced. I'm not sure whether Taylor has an injury split in his contract, though.

Oh, that makes more sense. His contract is a rookie deal so whatever is in his contract is likely standard for rookie deals. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CamMo said:

We went from Ballard calling JT a top 5 weapon in the league, to not even offering an extension to show he’s valued.

They are not extending anyone this offseason because we have a new coach.  Its common for teams to operate that way

• Like 3

Just read an article from PF Rumors that said the Dolphins called the Raiders about trading for Josh Jacobs.  His $10m franchise tag didn't bother them so for me they are willing to extend him if they could acquire him.  The Raiders said no.  So I think they are very serious about acquiring a running back who could help get to the Super Bowl.  They don't appear to be hesitant about making the running back happy with a new contract.  If they can acquire one.  That's why I think they are so serious about getting Taylor.  With Jacobs now gone Taylor is their guy.  They just have to pay the Colts asking price.  They are still talking.  The odds on them stepping up to the plate and acquiring him is pretty high I think.  I love the deadline being set.  Time will tell of course but this article tell me they are not afraid to pay a running back if they can acquire a great one.   

The colts drafted taylor and lions drafted swift in the same rd and same draft. Taylor is much better than swift but both have had health issues and swift was traded during the draft for i think a 5th.  I would expect taylor to garner a 3rd 24, 4th 25.  Maybe more if he extends. The fact is rbs are not worth much anymore. That and this offense will run thru richardson and expect him to run for 600-800 yds and the other rbs can carry the rest.

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Someone needs to explain why it’s gotten this bad. This is more then contract related. And if it’s so bad why is he still permitted on the sideline and at practice.I think fans deserve a answer.

It’s unbelievable how short sighted some of these media guys are.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Someone needs to explain why it’s gotten this bad. This is more then contract related. And if it’s so bad why is he still permitted on the sideline and at practice.I think fans deserve a answer.

Its probably just Stephen Holder saying, hey JT I'll push your agenda!....he's an i d i o t, officially in the Greg Doyle range...I don't understand how they stay employed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Agreed, especially Holder. He keeps talking like he knows more than he's letting on. But won't say what it is. 

• Like 2

Just spit balling on why he could possibly want out.

Besides feeling like he's underpaid:

He might dislike Indianapolis (the city).

He might be resentful how we've kind of ridden him hard so early in his career (about 800 carries in 3 years).

Or he possibly got fed up waiting for the org to fix the QB position. Maybe a to little to late type feeling.

Who knows, but definitely looks like he wants out HARD.

1 minute ago, IinD said:

He might be resentful how we've kind of ridden him hard so early in his career (about 800 carries in 3 years).

Or he possibly got fed up waiting for the org to fix the QB position. Maybe a to little to late type feeling.

Sarcastic Gold Digger GIF by Amazon miniTV

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IinD said:

I also wonder if a running QB has made him want out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IinD said:

To your 3rd sentence, he got married in March. Maybe his wife hates Indianapolis because JT never had 1 problem here for 3 years that I can recall. Maybe she likes Miami better, I could say more but I won't, it was even brought up on the Bowen show.Embarrassed Exit Strategy GIF

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

Its probably just Stephen Holder saying, hey JT I'll push your agenda!....he's an i d i o t, officially in the Greg Doyle range...I don't understand how they stay employed.

I don't know about that, but.... Holder is from Florida himself, and I seem to remember him writing that he really misses Florida. He is possible secretly * that he has to work up north.

I'm sure he would much rather live in Florida and be a beat writer for Miami Dolphins.... poor guy, right... 😆 

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Then there’s something we haven’t heard about?

Because from the outside it just looks like JT and his team making stuff up. 

If it’s about the Colts wanting him to come in early for an eval how’s that reason to be angry?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So hes either mad at Jim and Chris or just doesnt want to be in Indiana anymore

We probably wont hear which it is until hes gone, if ever

Reminds me of the pacers now. all star free agents never sign with them ever and we have seen more than one who left because they dont want to play out their days in indy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

Holder seems to have morphed a bit since taking the ESPN gig....  it's like he doesn't realize he's there, for comparative peanuts, only because they massacred their workplace and dumped all but a handful of their talent and restocked from the dollar bin.....

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Just read an article from PF Rumors that said the Dolphins called the Raiders about trading for Josh Jacobs.  His $10m franchise tag didn't bother them so for me they are willing to extend him if they could acquire him.  The Raiders said no.  So I think they are very serious about acquiring a running back who could help get to the Super Bowl.  They don't appear to be hesitant about making the running back happy with a new contract.  If they can acquire one.  That's why I think they are so serious about getting Taylor.  With Jacobs now gone Taylor is their guy.  They just have to pay the Colts asking price.  They are still talking.  The odds on them stepping up to the plate and acquiring him is pretty high I think.  I love the deadline being set.  Time will tell of course but this article tell me they are not afraid to pay a running back if they can acquire a great one.   

Miami only has 11M in cap......  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Then there’s something we haven’t heard about?

Because from the outside it just looks like JT and his team making stuff up. 

If it’s about the Colts wanting him to come in early for an eval how’s that reason to be angry?

Beginning to now think his ankle isn’t healed and he is trying to get money before playing and proving it’s healed.

38 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Seems ESPN had really done a number on him. No nuance to his reporting anymore.

Nuance?  Holder never had substance to anything.  When he is on radio, EVERY TIME he is asked about anything he starts his response with something akin to "you know, I dunno". "could be". Then when it gets down to the nitty gritty put up or shut up part of the conversation.... It turns into some variation of "you know, maybe.....but listen..... HERE'S what I would do if I was them, of course....Im not them, so i dunno"

31 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To your 3rd sentence, he got married in March. Maybe his wife hates Indianapolis because JT never had 1 problem here for 3 years that I can recall. Maybe she likes Miami better, I could say more but I won't, it was even brought up on the Bowen show.Embarrassed Exit Strategy GIF

I'd lend more credence to this line of thinking, if his now wife, hadn't been with him since HS 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Beginning to now think his ankle isn’t healed and he is trying to get money before playing and proving it’s healed.

And if this is the case colts are doing the right thing. But how is he going to pass a physical for another team.

Just now, Jackie Daytona said:

I'd lend more credence to this line of thinking, if his now wife, hadn't been with him since HS 

Yeah they have been together since they were like 15.