Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

14 hours ago, colts89 said:

Just a quick reminder that the best player currently on the Indianapolis Colts (if healthy) might actually play this weekend. Pretty exciting stuff!

If Richardson keeps progressing one might argue he's the best player....i know,  i know,  we aren't there YET, but still,  fun to think about.

7 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

I just felt he could have come across more professional and sincere. That’s all.

He was definitely sincere in his insincerity.

I kinda feel like that press conference came from a Colts demand. Told him this is going to be a distraction every week if you don't go talk now. Still will be, but I do think that was the purpose of putting him out in front of everyone.

Hopefully Taylor goes off. Both parties could use it.

Colts to help us keep competing this season

Taylor to help secure a future bag 

I'm not too worried about Taylor faking an injury once he gets back on the field.

1. I just don't care. If he plays, cool. If he elects to do something else, cool, we will tag him next year and do it again, if need be. Money is inconsequential this year and has already paid out about 1/4 of it. 

2. I know he already has been(faking injury), I just think he has realized that he has to show out the rest of the year to get paid. Faking an injury does nothing to help any of his future desires at this point.

I know there is some ambivalence about the PUP and week 6 contract toll thing.  

I think we all can agree though, that if he doesn't return in the 21 day period(which has began), he will be out for the season. Hence, not playing a single game, and contract tolls.

So week 7 at the latest, should know about the contract will toll or not(most likely before). And how much/if any Taylor is playing this year. Regardless which way the PUP week 6 thing plays out. 

Seems to be a moot point at the moment, as it seems there is a decent chance he suits up on Sunday. Time will tell. Taylor doesn't have any options though, really. So it will be up to the Colts ultimately, when and if he plays from this point. 

Final thought, I have no problem with Taylor wanting more money. I think Taylor handled himself despicably in his attempt to get a new contract though. He couldn't of handled it any worse really. His back is against the wall now, he knows it. So I expect him to comeback and play hard and very well. His family's financial security is on the line. Hopefully he stays healthy and secures a bag as we win the Division.

Will be looking forward to the end of this saga, unfortunately I don't think him suiting up Sunday would be the end. Just the start of the next chapter.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

He was definitely sincere in his insincerity.

I kinda feel like that press conference came from a Colts demand. Told him this is going to be a distraction every week if you don't go talk now. Still will be, but I do think that was the purpose of putting him out in front of everyone.

Hopefully Taylor goes off. Both parties could use it.

Colts to help us keep competing this season

Taylor to help secure a future bag 

I'm not too worried about Taylor faking an injury once he gets back on the field.

1. I just don't care. If he plays, cool. If he elects to do something else, cool, we will tag him next year and do it again, if need be. Money is inconsequential this year and has already paid out about 1/4 of it. 

2. I know he already has been(faking injury), I just think he has realized that he has to show out the rest of the year to get paid. Faking an injury does nothing to help any of his future desires at this point.

I know there is some ambivalence about the PUP and week 6 contract toll thing.  

I think we all can agree though, that if he doesn't return in the 21 day period(which has began), he will be out for the season. Hence, not playing a single game, and contract tolls.

So week 7 at the latest, should know about the contract will toll or not(most likely before). And how much/if any Taylor is playing this year. Regardless which way the PUP week 6 thing plays out. 

Seems to be a moot point at the moment, as it seems there is a decent chance he suits up on Sunday. Time will tell. Taylor doesn't have any options though, really. So it will be up to the Colts ultimately, when and if he plays from this point. 

Final thought, I have no problem with Taylor wanting more money. I think Taylor handled himself despicably in his attempt to get a new contract though. He couldn't of handled it any worse really. His back is against the wall now, he knows it. So I expect him to comeback and play hard and very well. His family's financial security is on the line. Hopefully he stays healthy and secures a bag as we win the Division.

Will be looking forward to the end of this saga, unfortunately I don't think him suiting up Sunday would be the end. Just the start of the next chapter.

Lets see, out of 188 pages of posts, this may be the best one I have seen Ice Hockey Champion GIF by USA Hockey

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Nickster said:

Ditto.  Don't do pressers, but they generally are bogus anyway.  Lip service.  I never had that skill or at least I never had the willingness to practice that skill. 

It's absolutely a skill.

There's an old quote that says a diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you look forward to making the trip. I think that's what JT tried to do yesterday, and he doesn't have the touch it would require.

There are just so many different ways he could have answered some of those questions. I wouldn't expect a soul-bearing therapy session, just some acknowledgment of reality. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, w87r said:

Agreed.

I'm also saying right now that I think he probably DOESN'T play this week. No big deal, just would make sense to not rush it. That's my prediction.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, w87r said:

I think if he suits up Sunday, he becomes a FA this spring.

When is the game day roster official.  I know the team sends a list showing who will be activated, but when is the activation roster official....when the ball is kicked.....10 minutes before kickoff?

IMO, if JT is activated, his contract matures normally at that moment and wouldn't toll.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ian Rapoport just said Taylor is playing on the NFL Network.

Activated.  Suiting up.

We assume he'll get plays on the field.

Just now, DougDew said:

I think if he suits up Sunday, he becomes a FA this spring.

When is the game day roster official.  I know the team sends a list showing who will be activated, but when is the activation roster official....when the ball is kicked.....10 minutes before kickoff?

IMO, if JT is activated, his contract matures normally at that moment and wouldn't toll.

Hour or hour and half before kickoff 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

Good post. Focusing on the quoted.

1st & 3rd paragraph: I feel the Colts insisted as well, I certainly don’t feel JT wanted much to do with it! Do you think the Colts anticipated that type of performance from him? Feels like it didn’t accomplish what they hoped it would, or did it?

2nd paragraph: This is where I am. I’m trying to allow for him being young & maybe not mature enough to separate business/personal matters. But man I could have supported him a lot more if he just would have maintained some integrity or maybe class is a better way of saying it?

You want to hold out & bet on yourself, do it. But don’t damage your image in the process.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

Understood it was going to eventually happen. I was waiting to hear from him. Just thinking if he could have possibly waited until after he played, then it could have been easier to evade some of the questions? Maybe not. 

I’m just a little disappointed in what I’m seeing from JT the person & the way he has handled some of this. But after thinking on it some more, I’m probably  being a little hard on a 20 some year old kid too. It’s a tough spot to be in for sure.

JT the player, I hope I get to see him on the field Sunday and hope he gets his payday.

I don’t know that he could have done anything short of committing aggravated mayhem to evade any questions about this situation. Even if he had returned and run for 300 yards and 15 TDs in the game the questions still would have largely been about the contract situation. 

I’m very disappointed in how he (and Irsay as well,) have handled this as well. He’s always been presented as the kind of guy who wouldn’t do something like this, and he even acknowledged that he was under contract and would honor is back in the spring. 

This agent that he’s picked up is just a % disturber and nothing more. Everything was going until that guy entered the picture. Once he entered the equation this whole thing got stupid quick. 

Personally I tend to wonder if the way things have gone down has been part of the reason he was so awkward yesterday during the presser. This agent came in and made a mess of %, maybe Taylor just doesn’t know how to handle himself at this point. Again, all indications prior to this agent change over the summer was that this sort of behavior was entirely out of the ordinary for JT. Maybe bringing this agent in turned out differently than he was expecting and now he’s trying to navigate entirely unknown and uncomfortable territory to him. 

Right now I’m less worried about all the front-facing stuff like press conferences and the stuff that winds up in the media. I’m more concerned with them getting things sorted out behind closed doors and getting him worked into this new off new under Steichen. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

One time Marshall Faulk said he stubbed his toe getting out of the shower and he was a no go at the last second, that was a game back in 95 or 96, Can't remember the year but I thought it was funny.

It was 96, I just looked it up so yeah you never know until someone is out there. I don't trust too many sources but when it comes Schefty and Ian, they rarely miss and they know their stuff.

6 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I don’t know that he could have done anything short of committing aggravated mayhem to evade any questions about this situation. Even if he had returned and run for 300 yards and 15 TDs in the game the questions still would have largely been about the contract situation. 

I’m very disappointed in how he (and Irsay as well,) have handled this as well. He’s always been presented as the kind of guy who wouldn’t do something like this, and he even acknowledged that he was under contract and would honor is back in the spring. 

This agent that he’s picked up is just a % disturber and nothing more. Everything was going until that guy entered the picture. Once he entered the equation this whole thing got stupid quick. 

Personally I tend to wonder if the way things have gone down has been part of the reason he was so awkward yesterday during the presser. This agent came in and made a mess of %, maybe Taylor just doesn’t know how to handle himself at this point. Again, all indications prior to this agent change over the summer was that this sort of behavior was entirely out of the ordinary for JT. Maybe bringing this agent in turned out differently than he was expecting and now he’s trying to navigate entirely unknown and uncomfortable territory to him. 

Right now I’m less worried about all the front-facing stuff like press conferences and the stuff that winds up in the media. I’m more concerned with them getting things sorted out behind closed doors and getting him worked into this new off new under Steichen. 

Good post. The bolded is a fair point I’m just coming around to considering.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

1st & 3rd paragraph: I feel the Colts insisted as well, I certainly don’t feel JT wanted much to do with it! Do you think the Colts anticipated that type of performance from him? Feels like it didn’t accomplish what they hoped it would, or did it?

I don't think it accomplished what they wanted at all. Which was for the daily distraction to lessen. If anything some of those answers will only increase it.

So to that extent, I don't think he was out there talking from a Colts PR coached perspective.

I definitely think they were underwhelmed by that performance. Which is another reason the Colts could potentially slow roll getting him back on the active roster. Watch his actions, if so, I would say he isn't off to a very good start. Still decent chance he plays this week though.

Just another fumble on his end. The whole process has been a debacle. Hopefully getting back on the field helps him get back to using his head instead of acting with rashly with his emotions.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It was 96, I just looked it up so yeah you never know until someone is out there. I don't trust too many sources but when it comes Schefty and Ian, they rarely miss and they know their stuff.

I broke my big toe once and lost balance for a week. 

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

LOL.  

Watch him pull a hammy during warm ups after being activated for the game.

If that's what he wants to do. It's his career, I guess, will only make him look worse and less trustworthy around the league.

I think he would have to come off the PUP list prior to the game active list being released. Probably on the Saturday? Looking for that answer.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My point earlier, as long as he plays great and helps us win, I don't care how he sounds to some. The Patriots cheated for 20 years and nobody cares outside of us and probably Pittsburgh because it affected how many Championships we won and Pitt won, nobody cares because the Patriots 6 Championships stand in the books with no ASTERICK by it.

It isn't like JT is a criminal or did anything bad, he just wants to be paid for being a top 3 RB in the league. It is not only a sport, but also a business. If he gets severely injured tomorrow, the league isn't going to take care of him or are the fans. It is not like he has made 30 million dollars and squandered it away, that would be on him.

And no one is tossing him in jail, like he’s a criminal. Good grief. Yes, exactly, it’s a business and this business has decided on good data that it doesn’t pay to give RBs a truckload of money. 

1 minute ago, ShuteAt168 said:

And no one is tossing him in jail, like he’s a criminal. Good grief. Yes, exactly, it’s a business and this business has decided on good data that it doesn’t pay to give RBs a truckload of money. 

39 Mill a year for 3 years/13 mill isn't a truck load and a good payday for his greatness. We can easily afford it. AR is under rookie contract and we can even re-sign Pittman easily if JT is only making 13 mill a year.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

If that's what he wants to do. It's his career, I guess, will only make him look worse and less trustworthy around the league.

I think he would have to come off the PUP list prior to the game active list being released. Probably on the Saturday? Looking for that answer.

Doug was being sarcastic, at least I think so Dont Know Idk GIF by Big Brother

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

I don't think it accomplished what they wanted at all. Which was for the daily distraction to lessen. If anything some of those answers will only increase it.

So to that extent, I don't think he was out there talking from a Colts PR coached perspective.

I definitely think they were underwhelmed by that performance. Which is another reason the Colts could potentially slow roll getting him back on the active roster. Watch his actions, if so, I would say he isn't off to a very good start. Still decent chance he plays this week though.

Just another fumble on his end. The whole process has been a debacle. Hopefully getting back on the field helps him get back to using his head instead of acting with rashly with his emotions.

Yea, I am trying to rationalize this in my head. Is this what the Colts wanted or not? Surely they have a good enough read on JT to know how he would handle himself in a presser?

1. It kind of felt like the Colts starting pushing a ‘JT is excited to be back and ready to go and we are excited to have him’ narrative in the last week or so. So, the Colts either wanted to push this narrative, have him do a presser to help smooth over how good things are and just how excited he was to be practicing.

-or-

2. This was part of the plan and the Colts are setting the stage for how they are going to handle JT. They knew what types of questions would be asked & wanted the world to be able to see/hear JT respond? If he try’s to come out and fake injury, or pull any other funny business, after saying he is 100% healthy now would be risky to say the least. 

I’m probably looking for something that isn’t there, but I am curious to see how this all plays out. Especially since the Colts do seem to be exposing themselves to some risk with him.

4 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Yea, I am trying to rationalize this in my head. Is this what the Colts wanted or not? Surely they have a good enough read on JT to know how he would handle himself in a presser?

1. It kind of felt like the Colts starting pushing a ‘JT is excited to be back and ready to go and we are excited to have him’ narrative in the last week or so. So, the Colts either wanted to push this narrative, have him do a presser to help smooth over how good things are and just how excited he was to be practicing.

-or-

2. This was part of the plan and the Colts are setting the stage for how they are going to handle JT. They knew what types of questions would be asked & wanted the world to be able to see/hear JT respond? If he try’s to come out and fake injury, or pull any other funny business, after saying he is 100% healthy now would be risky to say the least. 

I’m probably looking for something that isn’t there, but I am curious to see how this all plays out. Especially since the Colts do seem to be exposing themselves to some risk with him.

You are thinking too much lol. Everything will be fine :thmup:

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The thing is Taylor doesn’t have another job offer and if he doesn’t perform well teams are going to question if he’s the same player he was and lower any offer he would get and we already know running backs get smaller offers to start with.  So his only chance to get the contract he wants is to play well.

Exactly. JT is going to wait to BLOW up but once that's done, the moment he gets the slightest little niggle, he's going to make himself unavailable if the Colt dont put that contract out there. I'm betting that'll be his play. Zack Moss needs to stay ready lol. This thing aint done, i'm sorry for us all.

Just now, Colt.45 said:

Exactly. JT is going to wait to BLOW up but once that's done, the moment he gets the slightest little niggle, he's going to make himself unavailable if the Colt dont put that contract out there. I'm betting that'll be his play. Zack Moss needs to stay ready lol. This thing aint done, i'm sorry for us all.

Luckily Moss is an above average player and can carry the load for a few games. Outside of Moss, we are thin at RB though.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

LOL.  

Watch him pull a hammy during warm ups after being activated for the game.

they do have to activate him tomorrow for the him to play on Sunday.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, w87r said:

they do have to activate him tomorrow for the he on Sunday.

Yeah stranger things have happened, I mean as far as what I am hearing he is going to play. Rapoport is the best source I have. Taylor also was a 'Full practice' today. I don't think I have ever seen someone miss a game after being a 'Full practice' on Friday?

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah stranger things have happened, I mean as far as what I am hearing he is going to play. Rapoport is the best source I have. Taylor also was a 'Full practice' today. I don't think I have ever seen someone miss a game after being a 'Full practice' on Friday?

Just having him take a few snaps will be a big lift to the team. 

• Like 2