Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

Just now, PRnum1 said:

One thing I've learned from past holdouts is once players come back they're out of shape and have a much higher probability of injury.

I think I agree with @csmoparto give him as much of the 3 weeks as possible 

Looks like he might only be working on the side today and not practicing. So if that is the case he won’t play.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Very, very happy that he will play. It's good for the team, the fans and himself. I'm wondering if he was required to do this presser. It seemed unnecessary on his end...

Yes he had to speak to the media - it was required. Everyone in here wanted him too to hear his thoughts. Now I think he should of just said no comment to every Question because some think he is a liar and a fake. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

“… I’m here right now and my number one thing is to take care of my teammates. A lot of people worry about what I want. Doesn’t matter necessarily what I want. What matters is what this team needs, what this city wants and what this city needs. What this city needs is a championship and while I’m here that’s what I’m gonna work my tail off to do, to get the opportunity to do…”

To me, this does not read as commitment TO THE TEAM. To the organization. 

IMO, he's simply saying what he can, given that his time here is legally set to end when his contract expires.  He can't really say anything that gives the impression that he's going to be here beyond that.  From a business sense and negotiating the best deal for himself, he has no idea where he'll be.  

I think even players like AC would say the generic nice things about the team and the city, but never give an indication that they are willing to commit to the Colts before contract talks start.  

Its the players version of Ballard saying, "we'll see how it goes", except JT throws a bone to his teammates and the fans.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If he didn't want to be here, he would not play at all, that is common sense. It is like when you date someone and you know it isn't going to work out because you can't stand her, you want out bad. He didn't seem like that to me, he just wants to be paid.

Exactly 100% correct.

He has to play or his contract would roll over to next year.    Whether or not he wants to be here is immaterial to that.

Sounds like a player that has realized that fact and is saying what the Colts want him to say in order to get on the field so he can get this contract over with or get traded.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just don't get it, he is ready to play and said he wants what is best for teammates, fans, and the city and winning is important. Yet a handful of people like you aren't happy about it.

I'm not happy about the presser, which is my focus at the moment.

If he actually plays and plays well, I'll appreciate that. But up to this point, I have had reservations about his motivations, and whether he and his agent can be trusted. And this presser did nothing to settle my concerns, if anything, it reinforced them. So bear with me as I patiently observe how this plays out. We don't all have your powers of prognostication, so sorry if I'm not as convinced as you are that he's going to come back and help us win the division. But again, that's not my focus right now.

• Like 8

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I guess they are all in shorts. James made it sound like he was working with a trainer. Guess we will see when the practice report comes out.

My guess is with so many injuries already, Shane is attempting to give the team a light week to get healthy. At this point it's all about gaining as much strength as possible to face the Titans head on. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Superman said:

Don't do this. If you want to have a real back and forth I'm here for it, but don't play the strawman, either/or game. We're all better than that.

I gave you a trophy for this even though directed at me and I already said we can have a fair friendly debate about this, since when does Superman and Hulk don't get along lmao .

1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

Nah, this aint it.

A player in a highly fungible position tried his best to get paid while playing a losing hand. That's more like it.

The bit you're talking of can be applied to every single player in the league if thats the route you're taking it, doesnt add up

Right, and some guys never experience the “no” all through the professional ranks. Or they held out and the no turned into a yes. JT just happened to run into Ballard, who is on the hot seat for his decisions, and got doused with some reality. The no stayed no. I don’t think for a second JT thought this would be the outcome. 

About what I expected. He wasn't going to say I hate the Colts and am doing this so I can be paid, or my agent is an * and I'm thinking of firing him. He managed the media perfectly. 

Putting my former journalism hat on, the questions were asked in a way that were easy to dodge. You have to ask a question in a way that makes a dodge trickier, or that the dodge itself might give a clue. They should have asked him:

1. Are you more prone to injuring this ankle again? 

2. Did the docs tell you why it took so long to heal?

3. Could you see yourself playing for another team next year? 

4. Could you see yourself playing for the Colts next year? 

5. Have you spoken to Chris or Jim in the past week or two? 

Still, he wasn't sullen or grouchy. He seemed genuinely excited. I took that as a positive. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not happy about the presser, which is my focus at the moment.

If he actually plays and plays well, I'll appreciate that. But up to this point, I have had reservations about his motivations, and whether he and his agent can be trusted. And this presser did nothing to settle my concerns, if anything, it reinforced them. So bear with me as I patiently observe how this plays out. We don't all have your powers of prognostication, so sorry if I'm not as convinced as you are that he's going to come back and help us win the division. But again, that's not my focus right now.

It's cool. I didn't think his presser was all that great but Iiked a few things he said. Yes, I love our chances to win the division if we win this week, in a year where I had us only winning 8 games or being worse. Taylor helps bigtime.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

IMO, he's simply saying what he can, given that his time here is legally set to end when his contract expires.  He can't really say anything that gives the impression that he's going to be here beyond that.  From a business sense and negotiating the best deal for himself, he has no idea where he'll be.  

I think even players like AC would say the generic nice things about the team and the city, but never give an indication that they are willing to commit to the Colts before contract talks start.  

Its the players version of Ballard saying, "we'll see how it goes", except JT throws a bone to his teammates and the fans.

Yep. PR gave him a script possibly, but he stuck beautifully to it. You can tell this guy is smart. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I guess they are all in shorts. James made it sound like he was working with a trainer. Guess we will see when the practice report comes out.

I think the rules for him to be a FA say that he has to be activated for a game, not necessarily play.  So if he doesn't practice, the HC won't activate the player.

And its no big deal at this point.  I wouldn't expect any player to be activated for a game after starting the season on PUP.

If he is not activated, I don't think it means anything at this point.

• Like 1

People expecting him to say anything of real substance were kidding themselves.

It looks like Taylor is going to play this year for the Colts and we know it’s in his best interest to perform well because that’s the only way he has a chance to get what he wants, which is a big second contract.

What will happen beyond this year will happen and depends on things beyond Taylor, like do they maybe tag someone like Pittman instead. So for now just let it play out and be happy the Colts have one of their best weapons back.

We aren’t Chris Ballard we don’t have to think about the future.  We can live in the now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cbear said:

About what I expected. He wasn't going to say I hate the Colts and am doing this so I can be paid, or my agent is an * and I'm thinking of firing him. He managed the media perfectly. 

Putting my former journalism hat on, the questions were asked in a way that were easy to dodge. You have to ask a question in a way that makes a dodge trickier, or that the dodge itself might give a clue. They should have asked him:

1. Are you more prone to injuring this ankle again? 

2. Did the docs tell you why it took so long to heal?

3. Could you see yourself playing for another team next year? 

4. Could you see yourself playing for the Colts next year? 

5. Have you spoken to Chris or Jim in the past week or two? 

Still, he wasn't sullen or grouchy. He seemed genuinely excited. I took that as a positive. 

I took it as a positive and if he plays very well the rest of this season  I can still maybe see a contract from us a possibility. They said they would negotiate at the end of the season. So I think it’s all good and JT couldn’t say anything about it as he is still negotiation mood at this point. 

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

People expecting him to say anything of real substance were kidding themselves.

It looks like Taylor is going to play this year for the Colts and we know it’s in his best interest to perform well because that’s the only way he has a chance to get what he wants, which is a big second contract.

What will happen beyond this year will happen and depends on things beyond Taylor, like do they maybe tag someone like Pittman instead. So for now just let it play out and be happy the Colts have one of their best weapons back.

Exactly, very well said this my feeling  to. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

I took it as a positive and if he plays very well the rest of this season  I can still maybe see a contract from us a possibility. They said they would negotiate at the end of the season. So I think it’s all good and JT couldn’t say anything about it as he is still negotiation mood at this point. 

If he has a good season (much less one like 2021) imp, the Colts offer him top dollar, and hard feelings or not, he'll be back with this team

39 minutes ago, Superman said:

Do you think any of my focus in this discussion has been about whether JT would play this Sunday? Have I ever suggested that he would not play another down, or that we should trade him for a mid round pick? You bringing up any of that in this discussion right now, with me, is a strawman argument.

What I'm saying is that JT was not genuine in this presser. This has NOT been about him rehabbing his ankle, it's been about his contract. Yet, he stood in front of the media and pretended that any discussion about anything other than his ankle has been media speculation. Even though we know he wanted a new contract, demanded and trade, and declined to cooperate with the Colts during training camp. He just tried to gaslight everyone. All I'm talking about is how JT just handled himself in front of the media.

I don't have a problem with anyone focusing on their excitement that he's possibly going to play soon. But that has not been the focus of my comments, at all.

He didn't claim that you personally said anything did he?  Just that "a lot of people here" or something to that nature. 

Best part is, that's nothing important.  Doesn't matter who guessed right or wrong or vented illogical nonsense.....  for now, we are going to see if we have an All pro RB in this team, or if we don't.  If we do, additions of that magnitude at this point in the NFL Calendar, are rare and massive times of excitement and news.  Let's enjoy it for what it is, because as of today.....the chips have started falling on a really good side of the table compared to what the worst case scenario I had been looking like!

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Looks like he might only be working on the side today and not practicing. So if that is the case he won’t play.

This.....from the person who a few pages back was cautioning us to take every post, bit of news, and event surrounding this with a big grain of salt?!?  Lol. J/k. Hopefully he plays.  Running backs, regardless of many opinions I've seen lately....don't require much to acclimate to new schemes, teams, leagues, or returning from long layoffs.

6 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

He didn't claim that you personally said anything did he?  Just that "a lot of people here" or something to that nature. 

Best part is, that's nothing important.  Doesn't matter who guessed right or wrong or vented illogical nonsense.....  for now, we are going to see if we have an All pro RB in this team, or if we don't.  If we do, additions of that magnitude at this point in the NFL Calendar, are rare and massive times of excitement and news.  Let's enjoy it for what it is, because as of today.....the chips have started falling on a really good side of the table compared to what the worst case scenario I had been looking like!

Thanks, I wasn't saying Superman said those things, I was just making a point. I agree with your whole post. I am all in on Sunday, Chips in the middle of the table, what hand do we have, who knows lmao . I am just glad Taylor is back.

25 minutes ago, cbear said:

Yep. PR gave him a script possibly, but he stuck beautifully to it. You can tell this guy is smart. 

IIRC, I don't think he has ever said anything directly to the media about contract.  It all came from his agent who couched it like he was trying to get the best deal for JT...not being directed by JT.

So when JT talks about the ankle, he's really talking about the only thing that can be corroborated by both sides.  In that sense, yes, everything else has been speculation.  Not that he hasn't wanted the message of the speculation, but I don't know if any of it can be traced back to him.

He's talking about what we KNOW...the ankle... not what we have been inferring... contract or trade.

I said about a month ago, JT has conducted his messaging in such a way that he leaves the door open to returning to the Colts with open arms like he was on another planet when all of this was going down.  "What y'all talking about"?

But I haven't followed every tweet or offhand statement he has made either.