Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

5 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

JT has had one elite season. The other two have been teasers for multiple reasons that are not all on him.

He has HoF potential....that's just it though, potential. So, the ol fella has to curate his brand and this is JT doing JT, this isnt some empty head, this is a smart, thoughtful fella, he cut agents to get this money.

He's made his point and I think the larger story is what he and other backs want to force the NFL to acknowledge or act on, the problem is they've got zero leverage. None. This battle was lost when that dazzling Steeler back, LeVeon Bell couldn't get paid. In retrospect, Bell should have taken that money and reshaped the way RB contracts were thought of and crafted in future, instead it got acrimonious and he ultimately lost out which is what Jim Irsay tried ineloquently to point out in that 'airhead moment' tweet, everyone loses in the NFL, the machine goes on.

If Bell who at his prime was everything JT is PLUS an ELITE receiving back, couldn't win, JT certainly hasn't got a prayer. It's a business, JT has a losing hand sadly.

Philosophically, that culture guru the Colts had back in the day, the special units guy whose name escapes me, well he didn't seem to have nailed this. The good boys - JT, Moore, Pitt, Shaq, etc are all smart guys and really good team players, the thing his methodology didnt seem to account for is that smart guys also understand this business and will get theirs as best as they can. Fans need to know this :) 

It's very hard to assess "a product's' value with money in any business. The natural tendency is to overestimate its (your) worth in a competitive marketplace, but that gets established by whatever someone is willing to pay (or overpay). Examples: the stock market and the real estate market. If you over-estimate your worth, you can lose a fortune and your reputation. If you underestimate, you leave money on the table. That's life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I will just say this. If he doesn’t want to be here then just trade him. I don’t want players who don’t want to be here. Taylor is the last person I would of thought would pull this.

Strange times that is for sure. JT is the last person I would have thought would pull this as well. His agent isn't helping matters, I am sure.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Strange times that is for sure. JT is the last person I would have thought would pull this as well. His agent isn't helping matters, I am sure.

It's hard to tell whose 'driving this bus'. If it's his agent, he's got some really bad advice. If it is JT, he might learn a very expensive lesson. Time will tell.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

It's very hard to assess "a product's' value with money in any business. The natural tendency is to overestimate its (your) worth in a competitive marketplace, but that gets established by whatever someone is willing to pay (or overpay). Examples: the stock market and the real estate market. If you over-estimate your worth, you can lose a fortune and your reputation. If you underestimate, you leave money on the table. That's life.

100% this.

The next great receiving back who springs up, whether Bijan or even our own Evan Hull needs to start shifting the battle back to the Leveon story i.e. we should get paid as great backs plus a little something on top for our receiving abilities, and if they can block too? They'd better add that to contract talks. That's how they need to approach this. They cant get too greedy though...shift the story first, then the next set of guys need to shift the story to how they help the Line out. If the Zoom backs want to shift the story and get backs paid again, they need to be strategic about it. JT is also holding a losing hand there...he's a great runner but he's no Leveon Bell catching, and his blocking is terrible compared to Edge or Addai or Dom so the back the group should have picked should have been someone like Ekeler but he dipped and took his money when he had the chance. 

• Like 3

Just now, Colt.45 said:

100% this.

The next great receiving back who springs up, whether Bijan or even our own Evan Hull needs to start shifting the battle back to the Leveon story i.e. we should get paid as great backs plus a little something on top for our receiving abilities, and if they can block too? They'd better add that to contract talks. That's how they need to approach this. They cant get too greedy though...shift the story first, then the next set of guys need to shift the story to how they help the Line out. If the Zoom backs want to shift the story and get backs paid again, they need to be strategic about it. JT is also holding a losing hand there...he's a great runner but he's no Leveon Bell catching, and his blocking is terrible compared to Edge or Addai or Dom so the back the group should have picked should have been someone like Ekeler but he dipped and took his money when he had the chance. 

No matter how great you are, someone younger will rise up and kick your butt. Ask me how I know.

4 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

No matter how great you are, someone younger will rise up and kick your butt. Ask me how I know.

100% right again. And there're lessons in that too if one is willing to learn them. Life goes on.

16 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I will just say this. If he doesn’t want to be here then just trade him. I don’t want players who don’t want to be here. Taylor is the last person I would of thought would pull this.

Irsay said they are not trading him. 

35 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My 2 cents.  I think Leonard had a lot to do with JT hiring this agent.  JT makes the final decision of course but having a fellow teammate pushing his guy probably goes a long way.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

:colts: <is what the fans love, and are loyal to.

:cash: <is all players care about — they are loyal to nothing else and no one.

We need to understand this, and move on.

Do you have loyalty to your employer or your family?   It's the same for players .  Make as much as you can before your body is broken down.   

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is interesting maybe he will realize  colts are his best option.

Honestly. I think the Colts should tell JT “We want a minimum of this in a trade - go shop yourself”. He’d be horribly disappointed with the actual interest I think. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

My 2 cents.  I think Leonard had a lot to do with JT hiring this agent.  JT makes the final decision of course but having a fellow teammate pushing his guy probably goes a long way.

Maybe,  but if I have a guy representing me and I don't like how he is doing it, I'm not going to be working with them anymore.   It's not in the least Leonard's fault or issue.  It's JT and him alone

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

That clearly happened. Don't hold that against Leonard though, I'm sure he didn't see this coming.

• Like 2

I don't think we trade Taylor.

He will either play or sit the season out(he will play to get his season to toll, might fake injury, might not)(unless he just stays on PUP all year). $4.3m doesn't effects things either way.

I just think if you trade him now and the other teams extends him, it is a bad look(even more so, if he goes off). Now if you tag and trade in the spring, it doesn't look as bad then.

It will take a great offer for Irsay to change his mind. Colts fans should feel good.about that. If he is traded we will be compensated nicely.

In all honesty we should be giving him a fair deal for the team, that at least gives him security, but the numbers they brought to the table didn't even allow negotiations to get to a starting point. Too far apart. Now we're here.

I would say, just give him a raise of$3-$4m this season, but with how he's handled this, I feel he might just fake an injury and take that money too.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

I’d trade JT in a heartbeat if we could get some darn decent return. Meaning a 1st at least; or a 2nd and a 4th, something along those lines.

I get really disturbed by players who don’t honor their own contract.

Yeah, I don't see the Colts trading him at any cost though.  It would set a precedent for future players that hey, if you whine enough and act like a complete jerk, you can strong-arm the team into getting what you want.  RB is one of the least valued positions right now.  You let a RB get away with this, what do you think great players at premium positions like QB, WE, and DE will do?  I think at some point soon the Colts will tell him to stop showing up until he's ready to play if he's going to keep sulking and having a bad attitude over on the sidelines.  But I doubt they will trade him.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Do you have loyalty to your employer or your family?   It's the same for players .  Make as much as you can before your body is broken down.   

You can have loyalty to both, this isn’t a one way or the other. He signed a contract and not only did he sign it knowing exactly what it was to be he then went out of his way to reiterate that he was “honorable” and would play out his contract only to then completely do a 180 and is now a dishonorable person. What he is doing is going to truly negatively impact his team and his family. For him to see this go down any other way especially with the likes of leveon bell having done exactly this to give him a blueprint of the likely outcome. 

Furthermore; if he took advice from some of the other higher paid RB’s that tell the position as a whole that you have to diversify your game and be more than just a RB…you’ve got to be valuable in multiple positions if you want that bigger paycheck. Crying and being dishonorable is (at least in my opinion) the worst way to go about it.

1 minute ago, kymd82222 said:

Yeah, I don't see the Colts trading him at any cost though.  It would set a precedent for future players that hey, if you whine enough and act like a complete jerk, you can strong-arm the team into getting what you want.  RB is one of the least valued positions right now.  You let a RB get away with this, what do you think great players at premium positions like QB, WE, and DE will do? 

Well, I imagine that he is thinking it will turn out like Lamar’s situation did in Baltimore. The biggest problem is that JT feels he has the pull and power to pull off something in the weakest paid offensive position and least important at that. You can easily replace JT, you cannot easily replace Lamar Jackson. Jackson had proven himself and has the upper hand because he owns the most important position in football.

2 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

You can have loyalty to both, this isn’t a one way or the other. He signed a contract and not only did he sign it knowing exactly what it was to be he then went out of his way to reiterate that he was “honorable” and would play out his contract only to then completely do a 180 and is now a dishonorable person. What he is doing is going to truly negatively impact his team and his family. For him to see this go down any other way especially with the likes of leveon bell having done exactly this to give him a blueprint of the likely outcome. 

Furthermore; if he took advice from some of the other higher paid RB’s that tell the position as a whole that you have to diversify your game and be more than just a RB…you’ve got to be valuable in multiple positions if you want that bigger paycheck. Crying and being dishonorable is (at least in my opinion) the worst way to go about it.

Yeah, I think Nick Chubb and Henry got the last fat contracts as the typical workhorse RBs.  Teams that rely on workhorse RBs rarely make Super Bowls.  If these RBs want more money, I really think they're going to have to improve their skills and become a dual threat RB like CMC.  CMC adds a ton more value to a team than guys like Chubb and Henry.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Well, I imagine that he is thinking it will turn out like Lamar’s situation did in Baltimore. The biggest problem is that JT feels he has the pull and power to pull off something in the weakest paid offensive position and least important at that. You can easily replace JT, you cannot easily replace Lamar Jackson. Jackson had proven himself and has the upper hand because he owns the most important position in football.

Exactly.  Lamar had a lot more leverage than JT.  Former MVP, multiple outstanding years at a premium position.  JT literally has no leverage.  

17 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

What other positions should he play?  

Also,  I don't think he should get extended.   I was responding to a poster that said players only want money and have no loyalty.   Why would a player have loyalty to a team they didn't grow up rooting for.   

When you or I get a job we are there for the money.  I don't have loyalty to the company.   If I'm offended more money and it fits what I'm wanting to do,  I'm taking it.   

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Maybe,  but if I have a guy representing me and I don't like how he is doing it, I'm not going to be working with them anymore.   It's not in the least Leonard's fault or issue.  It's JT and him alone

I dunno.  Could very will be, this agent and the player are cut from the same cloth, and are in complete agreement in their demands and methods.  “FRM for Life”???

7 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I heard one person say one of the reasons running backs don't get the big bucks is mobile quarterbacks and now the Colts have one.

Yeah Colin cowherd had a video talking about this. But I think it’s more about running backs breaking down after the 1 st contract and there being a surplus of running backs in every draft

8 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I heard one person say one of the reasons running backs don't get the big bucks is mobile quarterbacks and now the Colts have one.

15 qbs had more than 50 rushing attempts last year. So that one guy is wrong.  The reason rbs aren't getting paid is because the league never calls offensive PI.  They want the big plays.   They don't care about 4 yards and a cloud of dust anymore.   The league wants air yardage and big plays

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

15 qbs had more than 50 rushing attempts last year. So that one guy is wrong.  The reason rbs aren't getting paid is because the league never calls offensive PI.  They want the big plays.   They don't care about 4 yards and a cloud of dust anymore.   The league wants air yardage and big plays

Pretty much sums it up

Rich Eisen has ran the last two shows basically misinforming and misleading about the JT situation.

We have all listened to Irsay speak, his twitter and JT twitter. NO where did Irsay say HE WAS NOT going to sign an extension for JT. 

All he said is that the Players union agreed to a contract that under values RBs. Upon JT's request Irsay did respond JT that he will NOT TRADE JT. 

He did not say he will not sign JT before his rookie contract is up, which Ballard has done with Hines, Quenton, Shaq... ( but remember it was NEVER demanded by the player.)

The media, namely ESPN and guys like Eisen pushes a narrative of CONJECTURES and MISREADS OF INTENTIONS that Colt management are "heartless" to their players. As a fan I think otherwise. JT got himself poor representation who does not know how to negotiate with the Colts.  At the end, I believe JT will listen to reason and he will get his money.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Rich Eisen has ran the last two shows basically misinforming and misleading about the JT situation.

We have all listened to Irsay speak, his twitter and JT twitter. NO where did Irsay say HE WAS NOT going to sign an extension for JT. 

All he said is that the Players union agreed to a contract that under values RBs. Upon JT's request Irsay did respond JT that he will NOT TRADE JT. 

He did not say he will not sign JT before his rookie contract is up, which Ballard has done with Hines, Quenton, Shaq... ( but remember it was NEVER demanded by the player.)

The media, namely ESPN and guys like Eisen pushes a narrative of CONJECTURES and MISREADS OF INTENTIONS that Colt management are "heartless" to their players. As a fan I think otherwise. JT got himself poor representation who does not know how to negotiate with the Colts.  At the end, I believe JT will listen to reason and he will get his money.

Thanks for sharing. This can be in this thread.

1 hour ago, AustexColt said:

I really believe a lot of the media just hate Jim Irsay,and particularly don’t care about Indianapolis and the state of Indiana in general.It stinks that Jim Irsay gets such a bad reputation because the man truly is a great owner who happens to be very passionate about the Colts and wants to win so badly.As a Colts fan I love that about the owner of my team.

• Like 4

I don't know how JT's agent deals with Ballard, but he should try and not * off the guy that signs the checks. I think he is leading JT down a path that leads nowhere good. Who was that guy that left Pittsburgh for the Jets? I can hardly remember his name.

• Like 1

Good take.

2 minutes ago, Coltsbluefan said:

I really believe a lot of the media just hate Jim Irsay,and particularly don’t care about Indianapolis and the state of Indiana in general.It stinks that Jim Irsay gets such a bad reputation because the man truly is a great owner who happens to be very passionate about the Colts and wants to win so badly.As a Colts fan I love that about the owner of my team.

I agree.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bleevit said:

I don't know how JT's agent deals with Ballard, but he should try and not * off the guy that signs the checks. I think he is leading JT down a path that leads nowhere good. Who was that guy that left Pittsburgh for the Jets? I can hardly remember his name.

Yep, Bell ruined his career by leaving Pitt.

39 minutes ago, Coltsbluefan said:

Most of the radio hosts I’ve heard have actually agreed with Irsay on this one.  With that said I heard mostly weekend guys while I was running errands over the weekend and Dan Patrick.  

42 minutes ago, bleevit said:

I don’t think the agent is leading Taylor.  I think he’s speaking for Taylor and Taylor is leading himself right now.  To Irsay’s credit he doesn’t seem to be taking this personally and I really believe he wants Taylor out there for the Colts this year and if he performs well will offer him a fair contract to keep him.  It’s just not happening on the timeline Taylor wants and it probably won’t be for the amount he wants.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Well, he apparently has formally requested a trade.  I assume that means he's decided that he doesn't want to be here, and is so sure about it that he stepped up to tell the owner himself.  If reports are accurate. 

Wasn't the scoop on the Hines deal last year that Ballard accommodated him with wanting a trade?  He wasn't traded because he had low value to the team (cough cough).  He was (apparently) a high value player who simply didn't want to be here.

So I assume that if a player wants a trade, Ballard seeks to accommodate it.  Probably under the same idea you're talking about.