Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

I would offer him a 4yr deal $48m, $10m SB with first 2 years guaranteed.

Contract look something like this.

2023 - $6,304,000 base, $2,813,482 SB, $9,117,482 total cap hit 

2024 - $8,000,000 base, $2,000,000 SB, $10,000,000 total cap hit

2025 - $8,000,000 base, $2,000,000 SB, $10,000,000 total cap hit

2026 - $10,000,000 base, $2,000,000 SB, $12,000,000 total cap hit

2027 - $10,000,000 base, $2,000,000 SB, $12,000,000 total cap hit 

That is $12m more in his pocket this season($10m SB, $2m base salary bump) $17.1m total with current remaining deal, we can use this year to bring down the average AAV of 24-27 to $11m per year.

All money 23-25 guaranteed

This is a good faith contract for Taylor and protects himself in case of injury this season or next.

If he wants more, tag em. Unless it's just a little more. I think this is a good compromise though, if he wants to see the end of the deal.

This takes him to his 28 year old season, Colts can get out of deal in 2026 and save $6m if it was needed(performance, injury, need cap room)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, w87r said:

That is $12m more in his pocket this season($10m SB, $2m base salary bump) $17.1m total with current remaining deal, we can use this year to bring down the average AAV of 24-27 to $11m per year.

This is a good faith contract for Taylor and protects himself in case of injury this season or next.

If he wants more, tag em. Unless it's just a little more. I think this is a good compromise though, if he wants to see the end of the deal.

This takes him to his 28 year old season, Colts can get out of deal in 2026 and save $6m if it was needed(performance, injury, need cap room)

I could be ok with that. 

• Like 1

Just now, csmopar said:

I could be ok with that. 

In really think it's the best for both sides.

Taylor gets some security, and the Colts don't have to overcommit a contract that won't see the end most likely.

Taylor could take his:

$5.117m contract this year

$12-$13m franchise tag next year

$15m-$16m franchise tag in 25

And make a little more money, but he takes a big risk on his health.

This extension would get him $33m(ish) over next 3 seasons guaranteed, where the play it out and tag scenario is around $34-$35m, but has no guarantees at this point except some money this year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Honestly,  I let him play out the year. If Richardson becomes an elite qb, the rb position can be a rotation of talent. Having an elite and highly paid rb is a luxury they would not need because of the stress Richardson would place on the D.

That's how many teams feel around the league.

I also wouldn't mind letting the year play out and exploring the tag at that point, unless we could agree to a deal like I posted above. It's best for both sides.

Taylor says he wants to retire a Colt, so show us.

And while I do think there are many RBs that would be just fine with Richardson, when you combine Taylor with him, it is just a defensive nightmare.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Honestly,  I let him play out the year. If Richardson becomes an elite qb, the rb position can be a rotation of talent. Having an elite and highly paid rb is a luxury they would not need because of the stress Richardson would place on the D.

For what it’s worth….

What you want may happen.   Maybe.  

But most every story I read about AR says having Taylor in the backfield with him makes AR much better.  That having an elite RB in the same backfield is something that the Colts believe is an advantage and not a luxury.

Plus,  the salary cap is going up so much in the next few years, that JTs cap hits will be very affordable. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth….

But most every story I read about AR says having Taylor in the backfield with him makes AR much better.  That having an elite RB in the same backfield is something that the Colts believe is an advantage and not a luxury.

Plus,  the salary cap is going up so much in the next few years, that JTs cap hits will be very affordable. 

Look at the Eagles and what they did with their rb position this year. Invest the money in other positions. I am hoping guys like Paye and Pearce develop so we r left with a problem with having to pay a skill player big money for once. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth….

People said the same thing about Nelson .  No worries the salary cap is going up we can afford him lol. Let the year play out. We have him for 2 more years. By then, we can easily move on if Richardson is a star.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

That's how many teams feel around the league.

I also wouldn't mind letting the year play out and exploring the tag at that point, unless we could agree to a deal like I posted above. It's best for both sides.

Taylor says he wants to retire a Colt, so show us.

And while I do think there are many RBs that would be just fine with Richardson, when you combine Taylor with him, it is just a defensive nightmare.

We know one thing about the rb market. Taylor will never retire a Colt unless he has a catastrophic injury.

7 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

We know one thing about the rb market. Taylor will never retire a Colt unless he has a catastrophic injury.

It can happen, but it takes compromise. If he signed the deal I proposed then it is feasible to see the end of it and his 3rd contract wouldn't be nearly as high as he would be on back end of career.

Now if he is wanting to reset the market, there is a good chance he doesn't see the end of his 2nd deal.

I’ve thought for awhile now that the Colts are basically going to have to choose between Pittman and Taylor. I don’t think both get long term deals. I hope it’s Taylor because I don’t think paying him $10 million a year is absurd. Paying Pittman $14+ a year is a little rich for me unless he has a Diggs/Jefferson type of season.

And that’s the other factor for me too. Taylor has already had the type of season we’re waiting for Pittman to have that would warrant an extension.

• Like 2

I can see the tweet from Jim:

We have made Jonathan Taylor the highest paid running back in the league!

I'd let at least half the season play out & see if JT can stay healthy, and if a JT/AR backfield does indeed create a problem for opposing defenses.

15 hours ago, w87r said:

Yeah I agree with this. This sounds reasonable for Taylor and good for the team. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, w87r said:

It can happen, but it takes compromise. If he signed the deal I proposed then it is feasible to see the end of it and his 3rd contract wouldn't be nearly as high as he would be on back end of career.

Now if he is wanting to reset the market, there is a good chance he doesn't see the end of his 2nd deal.

Name me one running back who has ended his career with the team that drafted him? it is inevitable that the team moves on from a rb as they age out and can be replaced by a cheaper player. Look at Elliot, Cook and the rb from the Eagles. The market and the position dictates that the rb will at most see a 2nd contract with the team that drafted them and that is even becoming more rare as we see with Barkley and Jacobs. Teams just dont want to do a 2nd contract with rbs.  Let him play out his first contract and then franchise him for another year and move on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Name me one running back who has ended his career with the team that drafted him?

Barry Sanders

Jim Brown

Walter Payton 

Terrell Davis

There's 4 HOFers off the top of my head.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

Barry Sanders

Jim Brown

Walter Payton 

Terrell Davis

Gayle Sayers is another one. There isn't many because a lot of RB's might go somewhere else for a year or 2. Like Emmitt going to the Cards or Franco going to the Seahawks for 1 year. Those 2 RB's just wanted to keep playing basically.

• Like 1

I wouldn't do it.  It would be a mistake to re-sign Taylor to a Zeke Elliot type of contract.

In fact Giants are balking at re-signing Saquon Barkely.  You could bring in Dalvin Cook for pennies on the dollar on what it would cost to re-sign Taylor.

Running backs are a commodity in todays NFL and easily replaceable.

Lets not forget that the Chiefs won a superbowl with 7th round Isaiah Pacheco.

It is best to take that money and sign a franchise LT, Pass Rushing DE or a WR thats as good as Justin Jefferson or even a shutdown corner.

Thats how teams are building superbowl teams, not handing RB's a second large huge contract.

• Like 1

My dream career would be to play for the same team my whole career, dominate my position to be a Hall of Famer. Win my Championship for the fans, team, and myself, play 10 years which is a respectable amount of time, and call it a career at the age of 31 or so. The city I played in would see me as loyal and I would have brought them a Championship, make my money over 10 years then break out a cigar in peace, be a millionaire and let the young pups have it from there The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- got to win that Championship, Peyton did it for us.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, w87r said:

Barry Sanders

Jim Brown

Walter Payton 

Terrell Davis

I am talking about the current rb market. That landscape has drastically changed in the last ten years when it has come to the rb market and the value to  a team.  Rb's are rarely drafted in the 1st round and the way the offences are constructed and the advantage offences have (due to the rules), teams are spread out and you dont need that elite talented rb.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TexasColtsFan1953 said:

I think they should pay him in respect money for his value to the colts helping our rookie quarterback, I know he been injured but i still think he can get back winning ways 

I don’t think clubs give “respect money.” He had a lot of mileage on the odometer even as a rookie due to how Wisky used him. Glad it’s not my “all chips in” money making this decision.

20 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I wouldn't do it.  It would be a mistake to re-sign Taylor to a Zeke Elliot type of contract.

In fact Giants are balking at re-signing Saquon Barkely.  You could bring in Dalvin Cook for pennies on the dollar on what it would cost to re-sign Taylor.

It is best to take that money and sign a franchise LT, Pass Rushing DE or a WR thats as good as Justin Jefferson or even a shutdown corner.

Thats how teams are building superbowl teams, not handing RB's a second large huge contract.

The other issue with rbs  is that in order to pay them a 2nd contract, they have to be elite in all facets of their game. Taylor is not an elite player, but he maybe an elite runner. McCaffery is worth it because he is an elite weapon and  defenses never know the play because he is an elite pass catcher and runner and Taylor is not.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Lets be clear on this. I have been highly critical of Ballard and his overall record highlights where he should be ranked as an NFL gm; mid tier. I have also gone on record as saying I would give Ballard a 2nd chance and wipe the slate clean as I also do recognize that  he was dealt some bad cards and I hope that he has learned from his mistakes and will continue to grow. However if Ballard was to reward Taylor with a long term deal before the end of the season, it would show me he is not a good GM. It would go against everything that is going on in the NFL as it relates to the NFL running back market. Jacobs and Barkley are what I consider elite rbs and they cannot sniff a long term deal at this  point. It seems like their respective teams are willing to franchise them this year and let them walk next year. Cook is 27 and just got cut and no one is knocking down his door. Teams are up against the cap and who is going to sign him for what he wants? Let Taylor play out the year. I would then franchise him next year and if Richardson is showing signs of being a star then go into the draft and get a mid round player. You don't need an elite rb playing beside a qb who runs a 4.4. Richardson's running ability will keep defenses on their heels and a very good rb would excel. playing beside him.  Look at the Ravens and what they do with their backs and the Eagles are following that plan . Plug and play because they have excellent running qbs and choose to put their money into other positions which is smart.

16 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I am talking about the current rb market. That landscape has drastically changed in the last ten years when it has come to the rb market and the value to  a team.  Rb's are rarely drafted in the 1st round and the way the offences are constructed and the advantage offences have (due to the rules), teams are spread out and you dont need that elite talented rb.

Whatever, move the goal post much? Was ready for it though. I knew once you got called on your ridiculously easy question, you would spin it.

You asked for 1, I gave you 4 off the top of head. Not just 4, but 4 HOFers.

Now you want to say current market? The current market is in the midst of their career, and there is quite a few who have played with 1 team at the moment. How can they retire with a team if they are still playing?

I will just go back to leaving your post, with no response from me. 

• Like 1

Like Barkley said, it’s all about respect.  We should pay Taylor, because one injury riddled season should not disqualify him for a new contract.  We waited too long to find a Franchise RB, can’t take him for granted because of a league technicality.  Probably in our best interest to pay him now before any other RB receives a new contract.  The price will only get higher the longer we wait.  Richardson is in his rookie deal anyways

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

Whatever, move the goal post much? Was ready for it though. I knew once you got called on your ridiculously easy question, you would spin it.

You asked for 1, I gave you 4 off the top of head. Not just 4, but 4 HOFers.

Now you want to say current market? The current market is in the midst of their career, and there is quite a few who have played with 1 team at the moment. How can they retire with a team if they are still playing?

I will just go back to leaving your post, with no response from me. 

Look at who the post came from, he said he doesn't have Emmitt Smith in his top 10 RB's of all-time and that Ricky Williams was better. chuckling homer simpson GIF

20 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Lets be clear on this. I have been highly critical of Ballard and his overall record highlights where he should be ranked as an NFL gm; mid tier. I have also gone on record as saying I would give Ballard a 2nd chance and wipe the slate clean as I also do recognize that  he was dealt some bad cards and I hope that he has learned from his mistakes and will continue to grow. However if Ballard was to reward Taylor with a long term deal before the end of the season, it would show me he is not a good GM. It would go against everything that is going on in the NFL as it relates to the NFL running back market. Jacobs and Barkley are what I consider elite rbs and they cannot sniff a long term deal at this  point. It seems like their respective teams are willing to franchise them this year and let them walk next year. Cook is 27 and just got cut and no one is knocking down his door. Teams are up against the cap and who is going to sign him for what he wants? Let Taylor play out the year. I would then franchise him next year and if Richardson is showing signs of being a star then go into the draft and get a mid round player. You don't need an elite rb playing beside a qb who runs a 4.4. Richardson's running ability will keep defenses on their heels and a very good rb would excel. playing beside him.  Look at the Ravens and what they do with their backs and the Eagles are following that plan . Plug and play because they have excellent running qbs and choose to put their money into other positions which is smart.

I honestly don't see anyone stopping our run game with AR and Taylor in the backfield. It will be almost impossible as long as AR can keep the defense honest by completing just 2 or 3 deep passes early in a game. 

I hope we don’t sign him before this season and preferably not until next off season. JT still has something to prove in my opinion. Even if he puts up great numbers this season I’d still prefer if we gave ourselves an easy out after two seasons. And no Zeke level deal please. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I honestly don't see anyone stopping our run game with AR and Taylor in the backfield. It will be almost impossible as long as AR can keep the defense honest by completing just 2 or 3 deep passes early in a game. 

Really? I absolutely expect JT to have a rough start to the season, because our opponents will stack the box until Gardner and AR prove they can get a passing game going. If they can’t it’ll be very rough. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Really? I absolutely expect JT to have a rough start to the season, because our opponents will stack the box until Gardner and AR prove they can get a passing game going. If they can’t it’ll be very rough. 

What if they stack the box and AR fakes a handoff to Taylor and runs around the corner? AR can a run a 4.4 40, good luck catching him. Lamar and Hurts have made a living off that. 

I also said once AR complete's a long pass that will open things up for the run. Pretty simple.

Pay him. He is the absolute epitome of what you want as a player in your franchise. He deserves it. 

I’m sure a deal could be done to make both sides happy. Pay him now before the cap goes up. 

Ballards always rewarded his drafted players with contracts, I have no reason to think this is any different. 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What if they stack the box and AR fakes a handoff to Taylor and runs around the corner? AR can a run a 4.4 40, good luck catching him. Lamar and Hurts have made a living off that. 

I also said once AR complete's a long pass that will open things up for the run. Pretty simple.

Any team who plays against us with AR starting will defend his running ability first until proves he can pass. That means a stacked box for JT and a spy on AR. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Any team who plays against us with AR starting will defend his running ability first until proves he can pass. That means a stacked box for JT and a spy on AR. 

That also means that once our OL gets JT to the 2nd level, he most likely will get big runs. It is all about the OL anyways. :) 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It would just prove that Ballard is behind the times and isn't current in the way Superbowl caliber teams build superbowl rosters.

He would have given away huge money to 3 currently devalued positions in the NFL which are RB, LB and OG.

1. RB - Giving Taylor a Zeke Elliot deal
  2. OG - Giving Nelson 80M or 20M per season.  No other team is doing this.
  3. LB - Giving an oft injured LB a 100M dollars.

That is an enormous amount of money tied up in devalued NFL positions.  It is these types of contracts that can hamstring the Colts for years.

Again take that money and get a franchise LT, Pass Rusher, Shutdown Corner and dominant Free safety or even a true #1 WR like Justin Jefferson or JaMarr Chase. These are the valued positions in todays NFL.

Just look at the draft for the past couple of seasons.  Those positions being drafted high is where Ballard should spend the money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

You act like that will be easy to stop, a spy on AR lmao . If you read my initial post I did say AR would have to complete 2 or 3 long passes to open things up. So I get how the whole concept works. If someone puts a spy on AR all he has to do is complete a short pass over the middle that will burn the defense that goes for 20 yards or so. Since Taylor has been here, we have never had a QB that can run against a stacked box. Once AR breaks off a long run or complete's 1 pass that burns a team, they won't be able to stack. Then Taylor goes off.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They will if our wide outs and tight ends dont develop. Think of Lamar .It's all cute and stuff till you make the playoffs and then teams just focus on shutting down the interior and the qb has to prove he can throw outside. I actually think that Steichen is going to build an offence very similar  to what the Eagles run. Bait teams with run and throw deep. Would it be great having Taylor and Richardson in same back field? Sure it would but it is not necessary.   The idea is to build an offence that is not soley built on 2 players. Eagles have proved it and their assets on the offence are at key positions.  IF Ballard signs Taylor to a long term extension before the season is over, he should be fired. It will just show arrogance and he hasnt learned a thing.

25 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

It would just prove that Ballard is behind the times and isn't current in the way Superbowl caliber teams build superbowl rosters.

He would have given away huge money to 3 currently devalued positions in the NFL which are RB, LB and OG.

1. RB - Giving Taylor a Zeke Elliot deal
  2. OG - Giving Nelson 80M or 20M per season.  No other team is doing this.
  3. LB - Giving an oft injured LB a 100M dollars.

That is an enormous amount of money tied up in devalued NFL positions.  It is these types of contracts that can hamstring the Colts for years.

Again take that money and get a franchise LT, Pass Rusher, Shutdown Corner and dominant Free safety or even a true #1 WR like Justin Jefferson or JaMarr Chase. These are the valued positions in todays NFL.

Just look at the draft for the past couple of seasons.  Those positions being drafted high is where Ballard should spend the money.

And to make matters worse. The players that he chose to overpaid are either hurt, Leornard, which i predicted and Nelson,  who is grossly over paid and declining as a player.

• Like 2