Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck expected to sign 4yr 22m deal.

WSnotch

I was thinking about this a couple weeks ago. We expected the contract value to go up a bit from last year (around $25 million). But the cap stayed relatively flat, so that probably affected the values of the rookie contracts. I read something earlier that the rookie contracts haven't been determined yet between the NFLPA and the NFL, so we actually can't agree to terms with Luck just yet. Kind of shuts down all the "sign him already" noise that was going on for a while.

I was thinking about this a couple weeks ago. We expected the contract value to go up a bit from last year (around $25 million). But the cap stayed relatively flat, so that probably affected the values of the rookie contracts. I read something earlier that the rookie contracts haven't been determined yet between the NFLPA and the NFL, so we actually can't agree to terms with Luck just yet. Kind of shuts down all the "sign him already" noise that was going on for a while.

It will be closer in line with Newton's, with a possibility of a slight increase and not the 5% that was expected.

Wasn't Manning's first contract 3 or 4 times that?........Colts are so fortunate that the new CBA brought high 1st round contracts down to earth.

No. It was 2 years longer and worth more money. With that said, Luck's year 5 option compensation of 15-20(estimate), will bring it closer in line with Manning's first deal. Luck will be at 5/37 to 5/42, while Manning was 6/48. Luck will receive a higher signing bonus though, which will be approximately 14-15 million.

Published: July 29, 1998

The Indianapolis Colts reached a contract agreement today with Peyton Manning, the Tennessee quarterback who was the first player picked in the National Football League draft.

The contract -- the biggest ever for a rookie -- is worth $48 million over six years with an immediate $11.6 million signing bonus, said Ken Kremer, an associate of Manning's agent, Tom Condon.

Kind of hate these new rookie deals. 4 years is nothing to have control of the top player in the draft

The team has a 5th year option, and I believe you can franchise the player after that as well. So it's potentially six years of exclusive control, which should be plenty of time to reach a new long term deal if the player is worth it.

The team has a 5th year option, and I believe you can franchise the player after that as well. So it's potentially six years of exclusive control, which should be plenty of time to reach a new long term deal if the player is worth it.

Year 5 would already be up there in salary. 15 to 20 million. A 6th year under a franchise tag would 120% higher. I'm fairly certain that they could extend him in year 4 to bypass the option and the franchise tag.

Year 5 would already be up there in salary. 15 to 20 million. A 6th year under a franchise tag would 120% higher. I'm fairly certain that they could extend him in year 4 to bypass the option and the franchise tag.

I haven't done any kind of numbers at this point, but I was figuring that the top level averages would come down a little bit because of the rookie wage scale and the flat caps. Which would keep the 5th year option reasonable. But even at $15 million, you're looking at a tag value of $18 million, which isn't too much higher than what it's traditionally been. And, as always, you wouldn't use it if you weren't intending to negotiate a long term deal.

In our case, I don't think there will be any issue with doing a long term deal for Luck at that point in time.

I haven't done any kind of numbers at this point, but I was figuring that the top level averages would come down a little bit because of the rookie wage scale and the flat caps. Which would keep the 5th year option reasonable. But even at $15 million, you're looking at a tag value of $18 million, which isn't too much higher than what it's traditionally been. And, as always, you wouldn't use it if you weren't intending to negotiate a long term deal.

In our case, I don't think there will be any issue with doing a long term deal for Luck at that point in time.

It's based on top 5 money. You have a few QB's that would likely be looking at new deals at that point. Brees is wanting 23 a year on average supposedly. Brady @18, Peyton at 18+ as it is. Eli, Rodgers, BBR, Rivers, Stafford, all will be pushing it higher.

undecided frog is banned?? What happened?

I would guess that's a guess on Jules part because no one would know such a thing. Being banned is not public information on the forum. JMO of course. :sigh:

Unless Frog told Jules something to this effect of course.

I would guess that's a guess on Jules part because no one would know such a thing. Being banned is not public information on the forum. JMO of course. :sigh:

Unless Frog told Jules something to this effect of course.

Where it says member under most posters, and Chat moderator under yours, it does say banned under some.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/04/26/nfl-nflpa-have-agreed-on-terms-of-rookie-salarypool/?module=HP11_headline_stack Agreed on now

No. It was 2 years longer and worth more money. With that said, Luck's year 5 option compensation of 15-20(estimate), will bring it closer in line with Manning's first deal. Luck will be at 5/37 to 5/42, while Manning was 6/48. Luck will receive a higher signing bonus though, which will be approximately 14-15 million.

.......................thanks for the info. I remember when $48,000,000.00 was alot of money.

Kind of hate these new rookie deals. 4 years is nothing to have control of the top player in the draft

You cannot have your cake and eat it too. It was a nice compromise between the two sides. The teams get much lower rookie salaries so bust do not kill them, but the player gets to hit free agency earlier.

The new rookie scale was the best thing to happen to the NFL for years. Teams no longer will not have their cap destroyed because of one bad player who busts.

Glad we are protected a bit if Luck turns out to be a bust.

You cannot have your cake and eat it too. It was a nice compromise between the two sides. The teams get much lower rookie salaries so bust do not kill them, but the player gets to hit free agency earlier.

The new rookie scale was the best thing to happen to the NFL for years. Teams no longer will not have their cap destroyed because of one bad player who busts.

Glad we are protected a bit if Luck turns out to be a bust.

True..and $22 mil for 4 years before you've played a game is a very good entry-salary in the NFL