Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marvin Junior Watch

For those fans who are intent on our drafting Marvin 2.0 in the 2024 draft, I'll be posting a weekly review of what happened to Marvin Jr at Ohio State.

On Sept 2, Marvin didn't shine all that much for the Buckeyes against Indiana.  Early in the game, he came down hard and wrong on his arm, and had to leave the game briefly.

OSU's top two receivers, both projected 1st round picks, were nearly invisible for the game.  Marvin had a 24-yard TD called back due to an illegal touching penalty.

He finished the game with 6 targets, 2 catches, and only 18 yards.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/sports/college/football/2023/09/02/marvin-harrison-injury-update-ohio-state-wr-indiana-arm/70753256007/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2023 at 11:00 PM, chad72 said:

MHJ did light up this week though :) 

You bet!  7 catches for 160 yards and 2 TD's.  Including a 71 yard catch where he was clocked at 22.2 miles per hour!

Of course, it was against Youngstown State, and not Michigan.  But if he can't put up great stats against a cream puff, he doesn't belong in the 1st round!

Would love to have a legacy join our Colts with Harrison Jr. 

Do we really need him over Pitttman Jr.? 

Pittman still ranks high according to PFF even with our lackluster QB play.  Bottom line we should resign Pittman.  If we don't resign Pittman than look toward Marquise Brown (Cardinals) as our first choice.  Suppose Tee Higgins (Bengals) could be another option. 

6 hours ago, indykmj said:

Do folks really think that Ballard is gonna use a top-5 pick on a WR ?

No, I don't think so. But then, he never drafted Luck, and he drafted his first QB at No.4, similarly he might get tired of getting WRs in Rounds 2 and later.

One thing is for sure. If he didn't move up for the most valuable position in the NFL, the QB, he is NOT moving up for Marvin Harrison Jr., especially if we are picking in the 5-10 range and it is likely Marvin is going to be gone in the Top 5.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, chad72 said:

No, I don't think so. But then, he never drafted Luck, and he drafted his first QB at No.4, similarly he might get tired of getting WRs in Rounds 2 and later.

One thing is for sure. If he didn't move up for the most valuable position in the NFL, the QB, he is NOT moving up for Marvin Harrison Jr., especially if we are picking in the 5-10 range and it is likely Marvin is going to be gone in the Top 5.

I suppose it's possible that if the Colts are in position to draft him, Irsay could force 

Ballard's hand or at least make it very clear whom he prefers. All hypothetical of course.

I know it's been only two weeks of college football, but does Marvin not seem like the Marvin of 2022 before his late season injury?

Another top standout wide receiver to keep an eye on is Rome Odunze (Washington). His 605 yards against single coverage last year trailed only Marvin Harrison Jr. among returning Power Five wide receivers. He’s also the third-most valuable returning Power Five receiver.  Odunze is already off to a much better start and his Huskies have a tough schedule versus some top-25 teams on slate. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 4:34 PM, sb41champs said:

Drafting Marvin Harrison Jr would be the proverbial "match made in heaven".

However - it would take a lot of different factors for the Colts - in 2023 - to even be in the position to draft him.

Fingers crossed!!

I don’t see the Colts having a top 5 pick this season and even if they did they would have to trade up in the top 2 or 3 draft spots to get Marvin Harrison Jr.

Marvin 2.0 Watch - Notre Dame

7 targets, 3 catches, 32 yards, 0 TD's

I know, I know, he got rolled up on and hurt early in the game, and was probably not at 100%.  But you can't deny it:

• Indiana held him to 6 targets, 2 catches, 18 yards, 0 TD's
  • Notre Dame held him to 7 targets, 3 catches, 32 yards, 0 TD's
  • His big games were against Youngstown State and Western Kentucky.  Creampuff schedule teams.

How does the saying go?  "Big time players make big time plays in big time games".  And he hasn't been much of a presence in the big time games.  At least not yet.

So, the question of the day is:  Will his draft stock fall?  Instead of being a top-3 pick, will it be more like picks 5 through 8?  Do we have to wait until Nov 25 vs Michigan to find out?

Is this the same guy we are talking about?

What am I missing? How is his performance at the big stage even a question? 

He's dealing with a new inexperienced QB and had a pretty bad ankle injury that he played through? I don't think he falls out of the top 5. He's probably better prospect than Jamarr Chase and he's not missing the season(like Chase did). 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

He can't beat double teams.  He isn't a top 5 pick.   

He will be available in the teens.

Agree that he will not be a top-3 pick. I doubt he'll even go top-5. But it won't be 

the teens either. More likely some where in between.

On 9/27/2023 at 2:40 PM, sb41champs said:

I think the Colts have made a case that they have been underestimated by the sports media for 2023.

I don't think the Colts will have a top 5 pick - maybe a top 10 - but - we all know that that won't be good enough a position to acquire Marv Jr.

Unless we trade up because our owner wants him that badly.

On 10/7/2023 at 11:52 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He will be drafted in the top 10. I say around 10th. We may win our division this year. We will have 0 chance of drafting him. Still a fun thread though :thmup:.

For what it’s worth, MHJ is the highest graded WR since Calvin Johnson and perhaps Randy Moss before that.   But he’s not as great as either. 

Every reputable draft site projects him to be picked between 2-5.     For comparison, Olave went 8 to the Jets, and Chase went 5/6 to the Bengals.   MHJ is said to be better than both.  

• Like 1

On 9/13/2023 at 11:34 PM, OhioColt said:

I know it's been only two weeks of college football, but does Marvin not seem like the Marvin of 2022 before his late season injury?

Another top standout wide receiver to keep an eye on is Rome Odunze (Washington). His 605 yards against single coverage last year trailed only Marvin Harrison Jr. among returning Power Five wide receivers. He’s also the third-most valuable returning Power Five receiver.  Odunze is already off to a much better start and his Huskies have a tough schedule versus some top-25 teams on slate. 

Odunze, Mitchell, Worthy all bring something to the table in this deep WR draft.

15 hours ago, chad72 said:

Odunze, Mitchell, Worthy all bring something to the table in this deep WR draft.

WR-X Tory Horton (Colorado State) is another player to keep an eye on.  Horton earned 2023 PFF TOW 5 honors.  After 4 Weeks in 2023 earned an 85.4 PFF grade.  Combined 20 first downs and touchdowns ranks 6th among FBS receivers.

A deeper WR been hearing about is Hayden Hatten (Idaho) who has excellent catch strength and hand-eye coordination and can create separation.

WR-SL Jalen McMillan (Washington) is another athlete that is smooth with his routes that is consistently able to find space. 

Now if we are looking at tight-ends with H-Back role players in the mold of Granson or Mallory might wish to look up Marshel Martin (Sacramento State).  Martin's fundamentals are very consistent with a 71.8 pass-blocking grade and a 70.1 run-blocking grades.  Granson has been above average, but his history of drops continues to be alarming. Mallory in his very limited snaps has actually seemed to be better at times than Granson. 

• Like 2

On 10/9/2023 at 2:52 PM, chad72 said:

Given how we're playing, I'm pretty convinced we're not going to be in the running for MHJ.

I've been taking a good hard look at Malik Nabers.  Modestly sized at 6-0, 199#.  Plays hard, and not afraid to get rough.  Very athletic, and is a natural at getting open.  Very productive in LSU's offense.  Still needs to learn to fill out his route tree.  Was arrested in February for illegal possession of a weapon, but was not charged with anything.  So far this year, being the the primary (sole) receiver at LSU, he's got the combined stats of both Ohio State WR's.

On 10/10/2023 at 6:07 AM, OhioColt said:

WR-X Tory Horton (Colorado State) is another player to keep an eye on.  Horton earned 2023 PFF TOW 5 honors.  After 4 Weeks in 2023 earned an 85.4 PFF grade.  Combined 20 first downs and touchdowns ranks 6th among FBS receivers.

A deeper WR been hearing about is Hayden Hatten (Idaho) who has excellent catch strength and hand-eye coordination and can create separation.

WR-SL Jalen McMillan (Washington) is another athlete that is smooth with his routes that is consistently able to find space. 

Now if we are looking at tight-ends with H-Back role players in the mold of Granson or Mallory might wish to look up Marshel Martin (Sacramento State).  Martin's fundamentals are very consistent with a 71.8 pass-blocking grade and a 70.1 run-blocking grades.  Granson has been above average, but his history of drops continues to be alarming. Mallory in his very limited snaps has actually seemed to be better at times than Granson. 

Jalen McMillan reminds me of Amon-Ra St. Brown with his ability to separate but just lighter and way faster. He is the same weight as TY and just as fast, when timed, but taller at 6'1", I am high on him.

Definitely my target for a different kind of WR that we need that is versatile for inside and outside, mid Round 3, he should be available. My only concern is a playoff team getting him at the end of Round 2.

On 10/9/2023 at 12:30 PM, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth, MHJ is the highest graded WR since Calvin Johnson and perhaps Randy Moss before that.   But he’s not as great as either. 

Every reputable draft site projects him to be picked between 2-5.     For comparison, Olave went 8 to the Jets, and Chase went 5/6 to the Bengals.   MHJ is said to be better than both.  

There are probably 4 qbs going in the top four and the LT from Penn State.

14 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

There are probably 4 qbs going in the top four and the LT from Penn State.

As of today, there are two certain top 4 QBS.   Williams and Maye.   Others have potential and might reach that level, but it’s not certain yet.   There are two premium LT’s, Alt from ND and the big kid from Penn State.   MHJ still has a shot at being in the top 5. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

As of today, there are two certain top 4 QBS.   Williams and Maye.   Others have potential and might reach that level, but it’s not certain yet.   There are two premium LT’s, Alt from ND and the big kid from Penn State.   MHJ still has a shot at being in the top 5. 

If any of those LTs drop out of the top 5 some team is going to be very, very happy. 

• Like 1

Currently through 6 weeks, the draft order is this:

Here is my early Mock for the top 8,

1. Bears - Caleb Williams (QB), they are done with Fields IMO.

2. Bears - Marvin Harrison Jr (WR)

3. Broncos - Drake Maye (QB), he will sit behind Wilson then take over.

4. Cards - Laiatu Latu (DE), they will stick with Murray once he gets healthy. They just gave him a whopping contract! They need an Edge rusher badly!

5. Giants - Keon Coleman (WR), they just paid Daniel Jones big. I think they will roll with him. They need WR help badly!

6. Patriots - Micheal Penix Jr (QB), assuming Belichick is still there. He would love a QB that is Pro ready and has plenty of experience. Mac Jones is done there. Penix has way more upside than Jones does anyway.

7. Vikings - Bo Nix (QB), Cousins days are about numbered. There you go @NFLfan. You will have a good young prospect at QB finally.

8. Titans - Jared Verse (DE), they need another Edge rusher. They just drafted Levis so they aren't going QB.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Currently through 6 weeks, the draft order is this:

Here is my early Mock for the top 8,

1. Bears - Caleb Williams (QB), they are done with Fields IMO.

2. Bears - Marvin Harrison Jr (WR)

3. Broncos - Drake Maye (QB), he will sit behind Wilson then take over.

4. Cards - Laiatu Latu (DE), they will stick with Murray once he gets healthy. They just gave him a whopping contract! They need an Edge rusher badly!

5. Giants - Keon Coleman (WR), they just paid Daniel Jones big. I think they will roll with him. They need WR help badly!

6. Patriots - Micheal Penix Jr (QB), assuming Belichick is still there. He would love a QB that is Pro ready and has plenty of experience. Mac Jones is done there. Penix has way more upside than Jones does anyway.

7. Vikings - Bo Nix (QB), Cousins days are about numbered. There you go @NFLfan. You will have a good young prospect at QB finally.

8. Titans - Jared Verse (DE), they need another Edge rusher. They just drafted Levis so they aren't going QB.

I know nothing about Bo Nix. Is he any good? I think I like Maye most.

Who is most like Luck, Herbert, and Mahomes?  I like smart QBs that show poise, leadership, and intelligence. (You saw that play by Herbert. He was alert and understood the situation and knew exactly what to do with that errant pass.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

I know nothing about Bo Nix. Is he any good? I think I like Maye most.

Who is most like Luck, Herbert, and Mahomes?  I like smart QBs that show poise, leadership, and intelligence. (You saw that play by Herbert. He was alert and understood the situation and knew exactly what to do with that errant pass.)

Bo Nix is very smart. He is putting up huge numbers in a Pro style offense at Oregon. I watched that game Saturday between Washington and Oregon (Penix vs Nix) and those guys look like men playing the QB position beautifully.