Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training Camp Day 10 8/10

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

So Steichen riled Richardson up right before practice by telling him that he would start on Saturday, and then Richardson missed a bunch of passes high... It will be interesting to see how he settles in during the game.

That is actually a very insightful take on it. Of course Richardson had the yips today. I wonder how clever SS is - was it deliberate? A kinda test? Interesting. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BCMak24 said:

Luck and peyton were clear #1 prospect picks coming out of college....everyone knew they were starters before they got drafted....richardson only started 1 season in college it's not the same

And yet AR was taken 4th and possibly third if the Titans could have outbid the Texans 

4 minutes ago, lester said:

That is actually a very insightful take on it. Of course Richardson had the yips today. I wonder how clever SS is - was it deliberate? A kinda test? Interesting. 

If it was intentional, there could be a lot of value to it. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

So Steichen riled Richardson up right before practice by telling him that he would start on Saturday, and then Richardson missed a bunch of passes high... It will be interesting to see how he settles in during the game.

Was thinking the same thing.

I’ll be doing a write up on my observations since I was solo today, I was able to take notes

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, BCMak24 said:

Only because he killed it during the combine if it wasn't for that he wouldn't been drafted in the 1st round

You think teams only take the underwear Olympics into consideration before drafting a player?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

Well…. Wouldn’t you be “high” as well, if you were just told that you were going to play the first NFL game ever, too? :thmup:

Richardson probably went fully into Kramer-mode:

Excited Lets Go GIF

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You think teams only take the underwear Olympics into consideration before drafting a player?

According to Dodds (I think that's the one that was haunting the Gators' practices), we were watching AR closely all year.  It was largely his athleticism that got him drafted in Round 1, and that was certainly confirmed at the UO (lol).  I guess you could argue that we wouldn't have drafted him at #4 if he tested worse, but really I was convinced by his natural accuracy at the Combine.  I expected him to be wildly inaccurate (or at least inconsistently accurate), but he ended up being the third most accurate QB there after Stroud and Stetson Bennett IMO.

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

My last couple of comments from my notes.

in drills, the coaches had the three QBs each throwing to various receivers and varying yards, all at the same time. So lined up at the 10, throwing to the goal line, all 3 would release nearly at the same time. Not an earth shattering drill. But what it did do is show the accuracy and velocity of each QB side by side. Minshew and Sam E, the flight path and speed of the ball and how fast it comes out were nearly identical. Which is a pleasant surprise if you’re a Sam E fan.  AR, well his throws would get to the WR, nearly 3 full yards before the other two. There’s some zip on these throws. But it looked so much like a flip of the wrist vs a wind up, it was crazy. This became even more noticeable as they worked their way back to the 30 yard line. AR and Minshew, both got rid of the ball nearly identical timing, just .08 seconds off according to my videos I took, but at 30 yards, ARs WRs had the ball caught and secure and time to spare before Minshews got there. Not sure how that will translate in a game,   But there is some rockets coming out of AR today

I think a lot of AR issues are also timing. Having a QB who gets the ball in its spot quicker is a big adjustment. One that will only be fixed by playing with the 1’s.

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

in drills, the coaches had the three QBs each throwing to various receivers and varying yards, all at the same time. So lined up at the 10, throwing to the goal line, all 3 would release nearly at the same time. Not an earth shattering drill. But what it did do is show the accuracy and velocity of each QB side by side. Minshew and Sam E, the flight path and speed of the ball and how fast it comes out were nearly identical. Which is a pleasant surprise if you’re a Sam E fan.  AR, well his throws would get to the WR, nearly 3 full yards before the other two. There’s some zip on these throws. But it looked so much like a flip of the wrist vs a wind up, it was crazy. This became even more noticeable as they worked their way back to the 30 yard line. AR and Minshew, both got rid of the ball nearly identical timing, just .08 seconds off according to my videos I took, but at 30 yards, ARs WRs had the ball caught and secure and time to spare before Minshews got there. Not sure how that will translate in a game,   But there is some rockets coming out of AR today

Yay, no more floating ducks!

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Once the timing is done, it would be hard to pick off AR. Incompletions over INTs, I will take that as long as we move the chains during key moments in his rookie year to show development. Plus, it helps a guy who throws high (which I have seen with him, and even Andrew Luck) that WRs with bigger catching radius will benefit. The biggest question will be the soft balls underneath, to the TEs, RBs and slot WRs underneath, those require far more timing than 50-50 balls.

I am figuring Steichen will call enough back shoulder passes and less of comeback routes for a guy who throws high so that if the WR bobbles or if it bounces off him or contact dislodges him, it probably is more disastrous with comeback routes than anything else. Routes in the middle, in traffic, even Jalen Hurts was terrible at it even in Year 2, most throws were outside the numbers that succeeded. It would be safe to say that passes and routes will be deeper towards the boundaries, no matter who the pass catcher is, till throws in the seams and traffic plus slants get better with AR. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think a lot of AR issues are also timing. Having a QB who gets the ball in its spot quicker is a big adjustment. One that will only be fixed by playing with the 1’s.

No not at all. Timing looks spot on. Especially to Downs and Pierce. Both of whom I feel look better than Pittman this camp . Downs I feel will be his relief valve ALOT. 

The misses AR had were just that, misses. Every miss was about 4 inches too high. just outside the finger tips. Later in 7/7s he got that ball down a bit and much better. But they started with 11/11s before breaking for 7/7s. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Once the timing is done, it would be hard to pick off AR. Incompletions over INTs, I will take that as long as we move the chains during key moments in his rookie year to show development. Plus, it helps a guy who throws high (which I have seen with him, and even Andrew Luck) that WRs with bigger catching radius will benefit. The biggest question will be the soft balls underneath, to the TEs, RBs and slot WRs underneath, those require far more timing than 50-50 balls.

I am figuring Steichen will call enough back shoulder passes and less of comeback routes for a guy who throws high so that if the WR bobbles or if it bounces off him or contact dislodges him, it probably is more disastrous with comeback routes than anything else. Routes in the middle, in traffic, even Jalen Hurts was terrible at it even in Year 2, most throws were outside the numbers that succeeded. It would be safe to say that passes and routes will be deeper towards the boundaries, no matter who the pass catcher is, till throws in the seams and traffic plus slants get better with AR. 

Actually, the underneath stuff, AR actually did just fine with, only one miss that I counted. The weird thing, they only worked the underneath during 7/7s, during 11/11s, it was all 10 yard slants or out routes

• Like 2

Just now, csmopar said:

No not at all. Timing looks spot on. Especially to Downs and Pierce. Both of whom I feel look better than Pittman this camp . Downs I feel will be his relief valve ALOT. 

The misses AR had were just that, misses. Every miss was about 4 inches too high. just outside the finger tips. Later in 7/7s he got that ball down a bit and much better. But they started with 11/11s before breaking for 7/7s. 

I obviously didn't see it, but missing high makes me think footwork. And that could be him seeing it a little late and rushing his throws, so partly timing. But mostly just because his footwork is a work a progress, which we already knew. Throw in some nervous energy from being named the starter for Saturday, and it all makes sense to me.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

I obviously didn't see it, but missing high makes me think footwork. And that could be him seeing it a little late and rushing his throws, so partly timing. But mostly just because his footwork is a work a progress, which we already knew. Throw in some nervous energy from being named the starter for Saturday, and it all makes sense to me.

He did get some happy feet today, and afterwards when Minshew was in, Shane and two other coaches worked with him before 7/7s might be why he calmed down a bit 

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I just wished they’d made that decision sooner or at least not pushed back practice an hour on top of it. Kind messed up my plans for the day

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

He did get some happy feet today, and afterwards when Minshew was in, Shane and two other coaches worked with him before 7/7s might be why he calmed down a bit 

I just wished they’d made that decision sooner or at least not pushed back practice an hour on top of it. Kind messed up my plans for the day

College Football Dancing GIF by Pitt Panthers

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I do. It’s ok to have a wait and see attitude. But it’s so bad. Why be so negative when we don’t have a clue yet how this team will be in the future. It’s so negative. Hard to listen to.

Have to think, there are serious issues and concerns that likely won’t be fully resolved this season. Unless AR goes off like Luck did, odds of another losing season are very high. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Have to think, there are serious issues and concerns that likely won’t be fully resolved this season. Unless AR goes off like Luck did, odds of another losing season are very high. 

I think he needs to change his attitude to understanding it’s a evaluation year. One of the big reasons they didn’t blow up the Oline. Thought they would give Steichen a chance to evaluate everyone before making big changes. It was the smart thing to do.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Which is alright for this year. Get another high draft pick and get Harrison Jr. and some more early round contributors and we can turn this thing around for the ‘24 season. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Which is alright for this year. Get another high draft pick and get Harrison Jr. and some more early round contributors and we can turn this thing around for the ‘24 season. 

Yep. This is one reason I don’t mind a bad win loss record as long as Richardson shows he is the guy for the future.  Bengals got lucky with Burrows knee and got chase. Or maybe we get another premium position like dline or corner in the draft.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Actually, the underneath stuff, AR actually did just fine with, only one miss that I counted. The weird thing, they only worked the underneath during 7/7s, during 11/11s, it was all 10 yard slants or out routes

Yeah, they play zone coverage mostly in pre-season and TC. When they play tight coverage because safeties and LBs are up due to our run oriented offense, challenging AR to beat 1-on-1s, it will get difficult. That is how I anticipate it playing out. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, they play zone coverage mostly in pre-season and TC. When they play tight coverage because safeties and LBs are up due to our run oriented offense, challenging AR to beat 1-on-1s, it will get difficult. That is how I anticipate it playing out. 

I don’t think we’re gonna be as run focused as most think we will be

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Hey man, I'm trying not to to get too excited about AR5.

You aren't helping....

(Seriously though, great observations.  Really appreciated it)

21 minutes ago, BCMak24 said:

I'm just saying his stock didn't go up until after the combine

Not quite true.  It was well known that he was going to light up the combine.  There were several articles about it prior to them.

So, while the casual fan may not have known about him, you can bet that every team in the league did.

The combine, his pro day, etc., were just letting the rest of the fans in on it.

• Thanks 1