Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kravits complains about the Athletic

Myles

A veteran sportswriter is speaking out against his former employer, who he says did not "give a f---" about him.

Bob Kravitz has been in sports media for 41 years, working for Sports Illustrated, IndyStar, and most recently, The Athletic as an Indianapolis Colts reporter.

Kravitz was let go by The Athletic early last month as part of massive layoffs, with the outlet continuing its wave to focus on national media rather than local beats after being bought by The New York Times. 

Kravitz revealed he "wasn't happy" at The Athletic as he "never felt wanted" and "felt barely tolerated." His sentiments seemed to come to life in 2020 when he was "put…on probation just a few months after a quadruple bypass."

"I guess my numbers weren’t what they wanted, but hell, I was recovering from a life-changing medical event," Kravitz wrote in his new Substack he debuted on Thursday. "You would think that might have some impact on their thinking, but no. I had to produce 395 subscriptions in three months – or else. That’s absurd, unfair and outrageous, especially given my health situation. Well, I survived, producing more than 400 subs by working myself half to death, a great idea after open-heart surgery. But that soured me on the place forever. I felt it in my bones.

"They don’t give a f--- about me as a human being."

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/longtime-colts-writer-details-soul-sucking-experience-athletic-they-dont-give-f-about-me

I get where he is coming from but he could have quit just the same. Does suck that after choosing to hit the quota he was let go.  However, when given a do this or else ultimatum it’s typically not going to work out long term. Good employers don’t do that. They give you the tools and coaching needed to succeed and when goals aren’t met they either fire you or give you more. From experience, whenever I see an ultimatum, the employee is on their last leg 

I've always thought Kravitz wrote with some sort of inherent bitterness against something, maybe bitterness against everything.  Its like aggravation inspired his writing.  Writing a complaint seems consistent.  I can see where he could grate on an employer.

But. the media is probably going to go through more changes as there are so many viewing and reading options.  The old school method of training journalists seems to not be needed as much.

5 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I get where he is coming from but he could have quit just the same. Does suck that after choosing to hit the quota he was let go.  However, when given a do this or else ultimatum it’s typically not going to work out long term. Good employers don’t do that. They give you the tools and coaching needed to succeed and when goals aren’t met they either fire you or give you more. From experience, whenever I see an ultimatum, the employee is on their last leg 

It's a lot harder than it used to be to quit a sports writing, or any journalism, job and find another decent job, especially if you're 55+ like Bob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Myles said:

A veteran sportswriter is speaking out against his former employer, who he says did not "give a f---" about him.

Bob Kravitz has been in sports media for 41 years, working for Sports Illustrated, IndyStar, and most recently, The Athletic as an Indianapolis Colts reporter.

Kravitz was let go by The Athletic early last month as part of massive layoffs, with the outlet continuing its wave to focus on national media rather than local beats after being bought by The New York Times. 

Kravitz revealed he "wasn't happy" at The Athletic as he "never felt wanted" and "felt barely tolerated." His sentiments seemed to come to life in 2020 when he was "put…on probation just a few months after a quadruple bypass."

"I guess my numbers weren’t what they wanted, but hell, I was recovering from a life-changing medical event," Kravitz wrote in his new Substack he debuted on Thursday. "You would think that might have some impact on their thinking, but no. I had to produce 395 subscriptions in three months – or else. That’s absurd, unfair and outrageous, especially given my health situation. Well, I survived, producing more than 400 subs by working myself half to death, a great idea after open-heart surgery. But that soured me on the place forever. I felt it in my bones.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/longtime-colts-writer-details-soul-sucking-experience-athletic-they-dont-give-f-about-me

Yeah... Move on from such employers quick..

It will be tough to find a suitable employer again though as most nowadays are profit minded, but at some point searching for better place is better than working for worthless money-alone minded business heads. 

5 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

“Could have quit just the same”…. ?

The man is in his 60’s….   Media jobs are evaporating with incredible speed.   If he quits,  not only does he lose severance, where do you think he goes?   Do you think there are a lot of journalism jobs out there looking for a Bob Kravitz? 

If what he says is true, the man was treated like crap.   

I don’t understand those who didn’t like Kravitz.   I think all the local print/internet media who cover the Colts are at least decent except one — Greg Doyel.  I think he’s bad AND obnoxious.   Bad combination. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

“Could have quit just the same”…. ?

The man is in his 60’s….   Media jobs are evaporating with incredible speed.   If he quits,  not only does he lose severance, where do you think he goes?   Do you think there are a lot of journalism jobs out there looking for a Bob Kravitz? 

If what he says is true, the man was treated like crap.   

I don’t understand those who didn’t like Kravitz.   I think all the local print/internet media who cover the Colts are at least decent except one — Greg Doyel.  I think he’s bad AND obnoxious.   Bad combination. 

I don’t have an issue with Kravitz as a writer. I’m just saying if he didn’t like what he had to do after bypass surgery he should have quit. However he chose to do it and I don’t believe for a second he worked himself half to death.  Sounds like sour grapes bc he was ultimately laid off with everyone else bc they weren’t profitable enough. He said yes he would do the job when he accepted it...bc he wanted paid.  Unfortunately 400 subscriptions was what was required despite his condition. What is that $10k in revenue a month?  Seems reasonable to me. 

Goes the same way when employers want to complain about their people.  Well, you can terminate their position. Yet they don’t want to pay severance or find and train someone else.  Well…suck it up. This is who you have so make it work or move on. 

Yes I know my view is lacking a bit of compassion. I own a small company and have seen a lot from both sides. I’ve had bitter employees that did the bare minimum and wondered why they didn’t get the red carpet treatment. I also had to lay off incredible employees during Covid that didn’t deserve it. If I learned anything, the bad employees complain to whoever will listen and the good ones understand the situation and don’t blast their former employers. 

13 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I don’t have an issue with Kravitz as a writer. I’m just saying if he didn’t like what he had to do after bypass surgery he should have quit. However he chose to do it and I don’t believe for a second he worked himself half to death.  Sounds like sour grapes bc he was ultimately laid off with everyone else bc they weren’t profitable enough. He said yes he would do the job when he accepted it...bc he wanted paid.  Unfortunately 400 subscriptions was what was required despite his condition. What is that $10k in revenue a month?  Seems reasonable to me. 

Goes the same way when employers want to complain about their people.  Well, you can terminate their position. Yet they don’t want to pay severance or find and train someone else.  Well…suck it up. This is who you have so make it work or move on. 

Yes I know my view is lacking a bit of compassion. I own a small company and have seen a lot from both sides. I’ve had bitter employees that did the bare minimum and wondered why they didn’t get the red carpet treatment. I also had to lay off incredible employees during Covid that didn’t deserve it. If I learned anything, the bad employees complain to whoever will listen and the good ones understand the situation and don’t blast their former employers. 

I don’t even know where to begin?   Almost none of what you say makes an ounce of sense.   You’re basically saying if Kravitz knew he was going to get killed (fired) why didn’t he just kill himself (quit) and beat them to the punch?   

As I’ve already explained, it’s not like there are lots of options for him and you’re unmoved.   Why you don’t believe him is a mystery to me?  

I doubt you’re even aware that for the vast majority of Kravitz’s career he didn’t have to find or raise 400 subscriptions.   This is all a new tech approach to media.    It’s fine if you’re young and it’s all you know.   But it’s hard and scary if you’ve never had to do it but then suddenly your job and career depend on it.   

Im for an informed public.   More media is better whether it’s moderate, liberal or conservative.   Every job is important.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t even know where to begin?   Almost none of what you say makes an ounce of sense.   You’re basically saying if Kravitz knew he was going to get killed (fired) why didn’t he just kill himself (quit) and beat them to the punch?   

As I’ve already explained, it’s not like there are lots of options for him and you’re unmoved.   Why you don’t believe him is a mystery to me?  

I doubt you’re even aware that for the vast majority of Kravitz’s career he didn’t have to find or raise 400 subscriptions.   This is all a new tech approach to media.    It’s fine if you’re young and it’s all you know.   But it’s hard and scary if you’ve never had to do it but then suddenly your job and career depend on it.   

Im for an informed public.   More media is better whether it’s moderate, liberal or conservative.   Every job is important.  

I’m sorry you don’t understand. Not sure how to explain it besides he wanted to keep his job but that required doing the job. Yeah it’s unfortunate he is older and had surgery. People everywhere have personal issues they have to overcome.  This was his battle. He obviously agreed to it and now is complaining afterwards. Work is hard, life is hard, deadlines and quotas are hard. That’s why they pay you to do it. He agreed to do the job…simple as that. 

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Btw, I never mentioned anything about killing or beating anyone to the punch. Not sure why you think I said that and maybe why it doesn’t make sense to you.   I said if he didn’t want to do it or hated his job he had the option to quit.  You are answering why he didn’t. Is what it is. Doesn’t mean it’s fair bc it doesn’t look that way…but it’s business. 

5 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Btw, I never mentioned anything about killing or beating anyone to the punch. Not sure why you think I said that and maybe why it doesn’t make sense to you.   I said if he didn’t want to do it or hated his job he had the option to quit.  You are answering why he didn’t. Is what it is. Doesn’t mean it’s fair bc it doesn’t look that way…but it’s business. 

I get what you are saying,

I work in sales for a locally owned business, so  I get what  you are saying. As long as I generate plenty of profit for them they can afford to keep the doors open and pay me (to put it simply) I get to keep my job.

Guess they thought Bob was costing them more than he was making for them.

I always Enjoyed Bob's articles. I disagreed with a lot of his opinions, but that was his job when he was with the Star.

Wish him well and hope he lands another job soon.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dunk said:

I get what you are saying,

I work in sales for a locally owned business, so  I get what  you are saying. As long as I generate plenty of profit for them they can afford to keep the doors open and pay me (to put it simply) I get to keep my job.

Guess they thought Bob was costing them more than he was making for them.

I always Enjoyed Bob's articles. I disagreed with a lot of his opinions, but that was his job when he was with the Star.

Wish him well and hope he lands another job soon.

Looks like he was put on probation for not producing and then when his back was against the wall he barely hit the minimum to keep his job.  The Athletic sold to The NYTimes and they evaluated the production he and 19 other local beat writers provided and decided it wasn’t enough to employ them. 

I mentioned earlier $10k revenue a month.  I was way wrong.. Right now it’s $1.99 a month for 12mo and $7.99 after that. $7.99x 3mo x395 subscribers equals $9468.15.  He was asked to generate less $10k in business over 3mo and he claims it half killed him to do it. Maybe not the job for him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Looks like he was put on probation for not producing and then when his back was against the wall he barely hit the minimum to keep his job.  The Athletic sold to The NYTimes and they evaluated the production he and 19 other local beat writers provided and decided it wasn’t enough to employ them. 

I mentioned earlier $10k revenue a month.  I was way wrong.. Right now it’s $1.99 a month for 12mo and $7.99 after that. $7.99x 3mo x395 subscribers equals $9468.15.  He was asked to generate less $10k in business over 3mo and he claims it half killed him to do it. Maybe not the job for him. 

Here’s what you don’t seem to be recognizing….   The job for Kravitz changed.    He’s been doing one job for nearly his entire 40+ year career, and at the end, his job changed.  They asked him to financially justify his own job.   He was asked to do something he had never done before.  Once upon a time, companies used to have an entire department of sales people to do the new part of Kravitz’s job.  Those sales people are gone.   Kravitz now has to do that in addition to his job as a reporter.   It’s one thing if you’re a 20-something or 30-something….  But Kravitz  is a 60-something.   He’s a dinosaur.  

You’re incredibly casual or glib to be flippantly tossing out comments like “maybe not the job for him”. 

My apologies to you for trying to make a point earlier with my analogy of being killed or committing suicide.   I was trying to shock you into the world of Bob Kravitz.   I even tried to make a point about quitting and losing his severance package if he quits, and you ignored that.   You basically asked Kravitz to give up a severance check likely worth thousands of dollars plus any medical benefits.   It stunned me that you had no reaction to that.   In short, there were no good options for Kravitz.  His choices were between bad and worse.   Knowingly or not, you were saying to Kravitz that if he didn’t like his bad option he could always take your worse option, to quit. 

Having a life changing moment in your early 60’s when retirement is so near is an incredibly scary position to be in.   A little compassion would’ve been nice.  “Maybe not the job for him” misses the moment as badly as possible.   Sorry. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Here’s what you don’t seem to be recognizing….   The job for Kravitz changed.    He’s been doing one job for nearly his entire 40+ year career, and at the end, his job changed.  They asked him to financially justify his own job.   He was asked to do something he had never done before.  Once upon a time, companies used to have an entire department of sales people to do the new part of Kravitz’s job.  Those sales people are gone.   Kravitz now has to do that in addition to his job as a reporter.   It’s one thing if you’re a 20-something or 30-something….  But Kravitz  is a 60-something.   He’s a dinosaur.  

You’re incredibly casual or glib to be flippantly tossing out comments like “maybe not the job for him”. 

My apologies to you for trying to make a point earlier with my analogy of being killed or committing suicide.   I was trying to shock you into the world of Bob Kravitz.   I even tried to make a point about quitting and losing his severance package if he quits, and you ignored that.   You basically asked Kravitz to give up a severance check likely worth thousands of dollars plus any medical benefits.   It stunned me that you had no reaction to that.   In short, there were no good options for Kravitz.  His choices were between bad and worse.   Knowingly or not, you were saying to Kravitz that if he didn’t like his bad option he could always take your worse option, to quit. 

Having a life changing moment in your early 60’s when retirement is so near is an incredibly scary position to be in.   A little compassion would’ve been nice.  “Maybe not the job for him” misses the moment as badly as possible.   Sorry. 

I see your points. I get he is older. I get he had surgery. I get there used to be a sales department. I get he is doing something new to him. 

I don’t feel I’m missing the moment as badly as possible. Not even close. There is no way as successful as I’ve been in business that my take is the worst possible. I don’t appreciate that huge exaggeration bc you feel compassionate about a peer. I’m not tearing down your opinion and telling you how wrong you are. 

Employment is a two way street. He can choose to do the job or not. No one made him work there. He chose to and then appears to think he was entitled to be an exception. He isn’t. So either choose to do the job or don’t. Consequences and perks to both decisions.  He chose to do it despite claiming how “absurd, unfair and outrageous” hit is.  He sounds like a 20yr old not a 60yr old.  Millions of people are working tough jobs that present hard and sometimes unfair scenarios. 

I ask you…how would it look if The Athletic went on a rant saying Kravitz was a stubborn employee who thought the rules shouldn’t apply to him and barely meets the standards of the job?  I know I would be sitting here saying fire him then…or don’t and deal with it and quit trashing your employee. I guess they decided to part ways bc they feel the company is better served without him. By the way he describes it, he is better off not working there. Still, he is the one complaining bc he lost his job. I would be a little more understanding if he quit and was saying this but to me(just my OPINION), he is coming off as an entitled, arrogant and bitter bc he couldn’t hack it. 

I’m sure you feel the opposite and that’s cool. I get it. Nothing wrong with your point of view.  I just don’t agree. 

45 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I see your points. I get he is older. I get he had surgery. I get there used to be a sales department. I get he is doing something new to him. 

I don’t feel I’m missing the moment as badly as possible. Not even close. There is no way as successful as I’ve been in business that my take is the worst possible. I don’t appreciate that huge exaggeration bc you feel compassionate about a peer. I’m not tearing down your opinion and telling you how wrong you are. 

Employment is a two way street. He can choose to do the job or not. No one made him work there. He chose to and then appears to think he was entitled to be an exception. He isn’t. So either choose to do the job or don’t. Consequences and perks to both decisions.  He chose to do it despite claiming how “absurd, unfair and outrageous” hit is.  He sounds like a 20yr old not a 60yr old.  Millions of people are working tough jobs that present hard and sometimes unfair scenarios. 

I ask you…how would it look if The Athletic went on a rant saying Kravitz was a stubborn employee who thought the rules shouldn’t apply to him and barely meets the standards of the job?  I know I would be sitting here saying fire him then…or don’t and deal with it and quit trashing your employee. I guess they decided to part ways bc they feel the company is better served without him. By the way he describes it, he is better off not working there. Still, he is the one complaining bc he lost his job. I would be a little more understanding if he quit and was saying this but to me(just my OPINION), he is coming off as an entitled, arrogant and bitter bc he couldn’t hack it. 

I’m sure you feel the opposite and that’s cool. I get it. Nothing wrong with your point of view.  I just don’t agree. 

Interesting.   Once again you don’t even acknowledge the loss of severance if he quits as you have repeatedly recommended.   So I’m guessing you’re ignoring that argument. 

And I appreciate you not trying to explain my former career to me.   But from my perspective, your first paragraph says “I get it.”    But your last four paragraphs says you don’t get it at all.  Not even a little.   So, I’ve tried to explain and offer some context, but now I’m done.   Pointless. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Interesting.   Once again you don’t even acknowledge the loss of severance if he quits as you have repeatedly recommended.   So I’m guessing you’re ignoring that argument. 

And I appreciate you not trying to explain my former career to me.   But from my perspective, your first paragraph says “I get it.”    But your last four paragraphs says you don’t get it at all.  Not even a little.   So, I’ve tried to explain and offer some context, but now I’m done.   Pointless. 

Fair. Good discussion. Thank you. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Fair. Good discussion. Thank you. 

Thanks.   One other question out of curiosity…. 

Im guessing you’re a business owner, or you’re upper management in a very successful business?   Seems your perspectives were either from ownership or upper management.   

I’ve been middle management and worker bee and was trying to offer that perspective.   It may be why we didn’t see eye to eye?   

Appreciate the exchange….

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks.   One other question out of curiosity…. 

Im guessing you’re a business owner, or you’re upper management in a very successful business?   Seems your perspectives were either from ownership or upper management.   

I’ve been middle management and worker bee and was trying to offer that perspective.   It may be why we didn’t see eye to eye?   

Appreciate the exchange….

Yes. I was a worker bee, middle management and now a business owner. I’ve given my fair share of excuses and heard a lot more. If I’ve learned anything, there are two sides to every story. I won’t deny my current position heavily influences my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Yes. I was a worker bee, middle management and now a business owner. I’ve given my fair share of excuses and heard a lot more. If I’ve learned anything, there are two sides to every story. I won’t deny my current position heavily influences my opinion. 

If you started out as a worker and are now owning your own business, my sincere congratulations.   You have much to be proud of.    I hope you continue to do well, as I want everyone to do well.   I know it’s a cliche but it’s also true, small businesses are the backbone of America.  So glad you were able to survive Covid, I’m sure it wasn’t easy.   

A tip of my hat to you….     :hat:

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 6:45 AM, Myles said:

Lol. So, Kravitz is a softie over all??? 

5 minutes ago, wig said:

My biggest issue with this is it promotes click bait journalism which stands against what the site sold itself on

Kind of disagree. They are not paying for clicks. They are paying for subscriptions it seems or in other words - they are paying for journalism people are willing to pay for. I've been subscribed to the Athletic for 3-4 years if I'm not mistaken and the reason I pay the subscription fee for it is for journalists I wouldn't otherwise have access to that I value. I don't think I've seen many/any clickbaity stuff on The Athletic. IMO it's largely serious journalism. 

To be completely honest... I have never read a Bob Kravitz story on the Athletic and thought to myself "damn, I sure am glad I have subscription so I can read this". I don't think he's particularly good ... or maybe... he's just not my cup of tea. Which is OK. I have a ton more content from the Athletic that is worth it to me. 

The unfortunate thing for Kravitz is it seems he's not many people's cup of tea and that's the business model they've decided to pursue so... Good luck to him on substack or whereever he goes next, seems like he's well liked in the Indianapolis market. Hopefully he lands on his feet. 

8 hours ago, wig said:

My biggest issue with this is it promotes click bait journalism which stands against what the site sold itself on

Maybe I don’t know the definition of click bait?   That’s possible.  

But to me, it’s always stood for attention grabbing headlines, that once you clicked on it to read, you found that there really wasn’t much to the story.   The headline sucked you in,  but the story let you down.  

Click bait. 

Anyone else with thoughts?

And by the way, that’s definitely NOT what The Athetic does….    I look forward to it everyday….   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe I don’t know the definition of click bait?   That’s possible.  

But to me, it’s always stood for attention grabbing headlines, that once you clicked on it to read, you found that there really wasn’t much to the story.   The headline sucked you in,  but the story let you down.  

Click bait. 

Anyone else with thoughts?

And by the way, that’s definitely NOT what The Athetic does….    I look forward to it everyday….   

You described click bait perfectly. An article will suck you in by saying something that is bad to grab your attention and then nothing is really that bad at all once you read it lmao 

• Thanks 1