Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF Receiving Corps ranking 2023

Solid84

Going off @VikingsFanInChennai post about PFF’s OL rankings they’ve done a similar ranking for NFL teams’ receiving corps’. 

This includes all receiving threats on a given team. 

NFL receiving corps rankings 2023.

Colts rank 26th

26. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Michael Pittman Jr. headlines a group that is still evolving right now. Pittman went from a 79.9 receiving grade in 2021 to a 70.3 receiving grade in 2022, but it felt like that was the story of the entire Colts offense. Alec Pierce is a good deep threat, and Isaiah McKenzie gives them some speed in the slot. But overall, it’s not one of the most alluring groups in the league.

Vikings 7th

7. MINNESOTA VIKINGS

Thank Justin Jefferson for the Vikings ranking in the top 10. Outside of Jefferson, Minnesota has T.J. Hockenson at tight end, a viable option for them. But then it's K.J. Osborn, Jalen Reagor and rookie Jordan Addison.

Still, Jefferson carries due to his three straight elite receiving grades. His 92.5 receiving grade over all three campaigns ranks third to only Davante Adams (94.2) and Cooper Kupp(92.6).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sb41champs said:

They failed to mention Josh Downs.

Jonathan Taylor is a legitimate threat out of the backfield.

Jelani Woods should be our TE starter.

True but Downs have proven nothing so far and Jelani has only shown promise. That’s not going to rocket us up the charts. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

There are teams with worse receiving corps?  I’m kind of shocked.  

Not saying I don’t like ours, just that we really only have one proven almost all star guy.  

Yeah, there are 7 teams with worse receiving corps than colts??? Lol

....and what if Pittman has a injury?

And yet whenever a star WR is available people on here are against acquiring them. :thinking:

I guess since they know Ballard & Irsay WON'T ACQUIRE them they say the colts shouldn't and that way their 100% aboard with them. haha

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

And yet whenever a star WR is available people on here are against acquiring them. :thinking:

I guess since they know Ballard & Irsay WON'T ACQUIRE them they say the colts shouldn't and that way their 100% aboard with them. haha

I don’t people are against the Colts spending big on a young proven WR. I think people are against spending big on WRs in the autumn of their careers, even if they are proven.

Also, it’s about timing. AR has some work ahead of him before he’s ready. Spending $20+m/yr on a receiver is not a wise decision right now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I don’t people are against the Colts spending big on a young proven WR. I think people are against spending big on WRs in the autumn of their careers, even if they are proven.

Also, it’s about timing. AR has some work ahead of him before he’s ready. Spending $20+m/yr on a receiver is not a wise decision right now. 

I don't think all the receivers that became available were in the autumn of their career and probably some wouldn't have commanded Top Dollar. 

As far as AR5 not being ready to reap the benefits of talented receivers we don't know? 

Sure he's a rookie but He has a Big Arm and is  mobile and see no reason why he couldn't connect with talented players downfield or anywhere else on the field. Talented players around him AND Minshew would help their development and team.

I just feel that adding talent to a roster rather than the owners bank account, at any position, is a good thing not a bad thing.

12 hours ago, Smonroe said:

There are teams with worse receiving corps?  I’m kind of shocked.  

Not saying I don’t like ours, just that we really only have one proven almost all star guy.  

this isn't correct, alec pierce is a solid #2, open question.... how many other 2s would u take over him???  when people over look this guy.... what is it? that boy can play some good ball

4 hours ago, 4daUColts said:

this isn't correct, alec pierce is a solid #2, open question.... how many other 2s would u take over him???  when people over look this guy.... what is it? that boy can play some good ball

Uhm, based on what? Like Woods he showed promise last season, but there are plenty of proven WR2s that are better until Pierce proves otherwise. Promise =/= definite production...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Uhm, based on what? Like Woods he showed promise last season, but there are plenty of proven WR2s that are better until Pierce proves otherwise. Promise =/= definite production...

Exactly.  I think he’s going to be good but they’re not ranking teams on promise.  

Every team in the league expects their young guys to work out, or else they wouldn’t have drafted them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a tough one.  There is a lot of solid talent at WR but not high end that I see. I guess it all depends on how AR5 develops.  I think this will be an evaluation year.  I don’t think the Colts are done drafting at WR so I could see MPJ walking and another young high draft pick is brought in the next year or two to grow with our new QB. 

On 6/18/2023 at 7:04 AM, Smonroe said:

Exactly.  I think he’s going to be good but they’re not ranking teams on promise.  

Every team in the league expects their young guys to work out, or else they wouldn’t have drafted them.

he's shown some OUTSTANDING athleticism on numerous occasions. the way I see its this, if he can do it once he can do it a million times. its called professionalism. same as plumbing, carpentry, etc. everyone talked about tanking last season, now pierce had a down year, which one is it? although matt ryan did look pretty bad..  no way I'm rolling with pierce at least top 5,  not the best, Bengals probably, but certainly close enough not to care. ARS got some good weapons to throw too, better than most, so thats not going to be an excuse. play ball!!

On 6/18/2023 at 7:04 AM, Smonroe said:

I hope I'm not seeming rude in my posts, I apologize if it came through that way... but also something to consider, how much difference is picket or Pitkins, from pittsburg. can't remember name, pierce has shown same traits and aggressiveness on getting that ball. but Pickens is great #1? come on now

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 4daUColts said:

I hope I'm not seeming rude in my posts, I apologize if it came through that way... but also something to consider, how much difference is picket or Pitkins, from pittsburg. can't remember name, pierce has shown same traits and aggressiveness on getting that ball. but Pickens is great #1? come on now

No problem, and I appreciate your enthusiasm.  But if you take off the Colts blue shades and look at the receivers from the outside, what do you have?

Pittman - hampered by QB play, but I doubt he’d be ranked in anyone’s top 20 (PFF had him at 30).  
Pierce - yes, he has potential but hasn’t proven anything yet.  Again hampered by QB play. 
McKenzie, Perriman??  Dulin??

TEs - MAC had a bad year, Granson has yet to catch a TD.  Woods had all of 25 catches?

Again, I’m saying I like our guys.  I think we’re loaded with potential at TE.   But I totally understand the rankings.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, 4daUColts said:

BTW, Pickens caught about twice as many balls as Pierce.

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

No problem, and I appreciate your enthusiasm.  But if you take off the Colts blue shades and look at the receivers from the outside, what do you have?

Pittman - hampered by QB play, but I doubt he’d be ranked in anyone’s top 20 (PFF had him at 30).  
Pierce - yes, he has potential but hasn’t proven anything yet.  Again hampered by QB play. 
McKenzie, Perriman??  Dulin??

TEs - MAC had a bad year, Granson has yet to catch a TD.  Woods had all of 25 catches?

Again, I’m saying I like our guys.  I think we’re loaded with potential at TE.   But I totally understand the rankings.  

Pittman out of top 10wr would be like splitting hairs, top 7 at least is still splitting hairs. te I'm not to keen on yet. when mac gets the ball thrown to him, what's the % of him getting it? I'll bet in game its like 75% give or take. thats pretty solid

4 minutes ago, 4daUColts said:

for 2 saying u like them and they suck makes ZERO sense. not the words u used still the same thing though. that don't fly here. this is colts country

them flags don't fly here, I will never repost something u put on again

On 6/18/2023 at 2:17 AM, 4daUColts said:

There’s like 10-20 #2 I’ll take over Pierce

2 hours ago, 4daUColts said:

ok dude, I'm not wearing colts glasses. but to say u like our guys, in the context u used, then rag on them is, your playing head games bud, your not liking our guys, or the team. I'm talking football. not personality

If you're talking to me (I'm not sure since you didn't quote anyone), show me where I 'ragged' on anyone or said anyone sucked? 

I listed facts, not opinions.  Those facts are why the OP said the Colts receivers are listed at the bottom.  I didn't write that list, I'm just trying to explain why they came up with it.

Dude, don't put words in my mouth unless you can back them up with actual quotes from things I've written.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 4:14 PM, sb41champs said:

They failed to mention Josh Downs.

Jonathan Taylor is a legitimate threat out of the backfield.

Jelani Woods should be our TE starter.

Downs is a rookie , Woods imo deserves to be TE1 I think he has more upside than MAC. 

• Like 1

Context: After a rookie campaign in which he caught 41 receptions for 593 yards and two touchdowns, Alec Pierce is eager to be an even greater contributor within Steichen's offense. The wide receiver was the Colts' first pick of the 2022 NFL Draft selected 53rd overall.

this is on colts actual website copy and pasted. now, how many #2s would u take over him? in his 3rd year....

On 6/17/2023 at 11:49 AM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Tell me….

Who was the “star” wide receiver that the Colts passed on who went on to have great success?   

Julio Jones?    Nope. 
OBJ?                Nope.

Jarvis Landry?    Nope.

Robert Woods?   Nope. 

Allen Robinson?   Nope.

All the people you talk about weren’t star players, they were big name players who fans here know and don’t realize were past their prime.  So they used to be stars, but weren’t anymore.   Fans didn’t know their contract or their health or their age.   And none of them did anything for their new team.  

And please don’t throw out guys like Adams or Hill or Hopkins or anyone else.   Those guys had leverage and were never coming to Indy even if the Colts wanted them.   And if CB is reluctant to pay a WR $25m per, imagine trying to pay more than that which those players got.   Not happening.

Ballard had a terrible 2022, you could argue worse than terrible.   But none of the moves that you’re complaining about would have made a difference in 2022.  

On 6/19/2023 at 2:27 PM, Smonroe said:

BTW, Pickens caught about twice as many balls as Pierce.

This is true but I also think it’s fair to say Pierce had absolute trash at QB last year trying to get him the ball.  If the Colts had taken Pickens instead I don’t think Pickens would have had a season to write home about last year either because all the Colts WRs were handcuffed by the QB play.  

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

This is true but I also think it’s fair to say Pierce had absolute trash at QB last year trying to get him the ball.  If the Colts had taken Pickens instead I don’t think Pickens would have had a season to write home about last year either because all the Colts WRs were handcuffed by the QB play.  

Pierce can become a strong #2, a great #3 in reality. Pittman to me is a #1 but it is borderline, we need a WR that changes the game and we don't have it. Pittman is good but not a huge game changer. 

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Agree, and if you go back to my post you'll see I said "hampered by QB play".  

I was attempting to explain to the guy who obviously didn't understand the OP's post, why the Colts were rated so low.   He said Pierce was better than Pickens.  He may well be in the future, but the ranking was based on facts, not on potential.

I like our receiving corps potential.  If AR5 works out, it could be in the top 10 next year.