Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select QB Anthony Richardson Florida (merge)

danlhart87

14 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

I predicted 9 wins that season, so I was pleasantly surprised at how much Rivers had left.

I can’t think about the past much though, because then I remember that we had the two best QB prospects in history, and only won a single Lombardi. I guess it just proves that having THE GUY at QB doesn’t guarantee anything.

Yeah our 2006 team was special (great) and we won the big one at least once. With Peyton and Luck though we always put a good product on the field every year and gave the fans hope. 1 Championship but from 2002-2014 very good football with the exception of 2011 - which got us Luck for 3 solid years.

Now I am ready to see what AR can bring us being so young.

• Like 1

Just now, krunk said:

We need a really good right guard and OL depth in general. Also cornerback a.nd LB.

Probably 1 more WR. Im expecting Ballard to trade back today.

Yeah, moving back and getting another 3rd would be ideal. There may be enough talent in the 2nd where we still get someone. I put it at around a 1 in 3 chance we trade back at 35 tbh.

32 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yeah but I think you could get some day two picks pretty easily. 

but then again, they may wait until closer to the trade deadline, see how things are going.

I’ll say this, I think Ballard is safe even if we go 0-17 next year, same with Shane. They don’t make this pick without Irsay onboard

Definitely day 2 picks.  You get way under the cap too.  So if the guy shows promise you can go spend some money like JGs did,

I agree about Irsay .  I don’t think anyone seriously thinks AR will come in this season and make the Colts competitive.  2024 or 2025 I would think would be when the window opens.

we would have a lot of aging big money vets by then.  Gotta protect this kid.  I would think they’d wait among other things to see how good the line will protect before starting him.  Let Minshew get the feces knocked out of him lol.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am excited and ready.

Me too. We needed a high celing/high potential/high upside guy. With a loaded AFC at QB, this is the only way we'll ever make the SB or win one again. Ballard understood the risk involved and put his job on the line. I'm proud of him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Me too. We needed a high celing/high potential/high upside guy. With a loaded AFC at QB, this is the only way we'll ever make the SB or win one again. Ballard understood the risk involved and put his job on the line. I'm proud of him.

Same here, the AFC is loaded with great QB's/good QB's, we needed to go all in like at a poker table and we are doing so because of AR's ceiling. I think we have the right coach for him as well which is important.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

As much as I hate to agree with this, I do completely.

I’d trade those commercials and SNL for another ring…

While Peyton was making us laugh, Brady got the last laugh.

Oh it took along time to admit the Brady thing.  But after he started dominating Superbowls in his late 30s and 40s then with the new team, it was impossible to deny lol.

Same here, the AFC is loaded with great QB's/good QB's, we needed to go all in like at a poker table and we are doing so because of AR's ceiling. I think we have the right coach for him as well which is important.

Yep. If he fails, it's just unfortunate, bad luck. The process is 100% correct here. We just need to get lucky. Plenty of examples of guys like him succeeding. We have plenty of hope.

• Like 1

I’m sure this has already been said in the hundreds of posts already.  But it should be emphasized.  

AR is NOT a run first QB.  If you watch his tape, he runs as a last resort.  But he has great awareness and escape ability.   

Once Shane works with him and sees what throws he’s the most comfortable making, it’s going to be tough to stop him.  

Need a good, quick TY-like WR now.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, John Hammonds said:

In case anyone is keeping track, here's the QB room:

Nick Foles

Sam Ehlinger

Gardner Minshew

Anthony Richardson

Guess who won't be on the team when the season starts?

Not sure what they’re waiting on with Foles?  You’d think they’d release him to give him a chance to hook up elsewhere.  Unless he plans on retiring.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

I disagree with your desperation take.  I’m not sure about the pick but I think Steichen was a major factor here.  

I doubt anyone thinks this kid is going to take the league by storm right away.  They are showing more delayed gratification lol, but this time the kid is young so that’s quite a bit different IMO.

1 hour ago, smittywerb said:

it was said many times that this qb draft didn’t have a certified qb.  Meaning a qb that was going to start day one without any issues.  Any qb we selected this draft was going to be a “project pick”.  It’s just that the one we chose has the most uncertainty.  Your rebuttal might be “well why not trade back and go for hooker or Bennett?”.  Because Shane and Ballard both thought the potential of AR was too good to pass up on compared to the other qbs who were left (and I agree).  No way we were going to NOT pick a qb at 4 unless Young, AR, and Stroud was gone.  Shane was brought in to develop a qb, not coach an established one.  Everything this off-season regarding the offense has pointed to developing something new.

do you trust Shane and co to develop AR?  If so, then you’ll look back and love this pick.  If not, I can see why you feel the way you do.

What I see is Ballard's attempt to find a QB to compete with Allen and Mohomes.  Exactly what "schemes" do they run?  Nobody cares what scheme they run.  People care about what plays they make off structure.  Run around with the ball and make a play. 

Sort of like Phil Jackson's "scheme" to get the ball into MJs hands and have him make plays...with a little designed diversion here and there to give him a break so he didn't have to do it every play.  Boring strategy....Chicago Bulls = Yawn.

Steichen has reportedly told Ballard "nobody can do the things at QB that AR can do".

It seems to me that they are looking for an athlete that can make plays out of structure and win ball games for them.  Teach him some structured football for those diversionary "rest plays", but then he has to get back at it and do something for us.   

Picking an athlete that has started 13 games at pick 4 and hoping he can have the impact a Mahomes or Allen has in a few years is pure desperation, IMO.

There were lots of trades in the first round,.  Its conceivable that a less desperate GM could have traded down a few times and now be sitting with 2 picks in rounds 1,2 and 3 next year and potentially drafting Levis...or Hooker if that's who you prefer.  But QBs like them have to succeed within structure. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I'm really excited. AR has been my guy for most of the draft season. Pretty much the moment I started seriously watching tape(instead of just casually watching college games) I couldn't hold my excitement and intrigue with Richardson. He was a total rollercoaster this last season. Nothing in his game was consistent... BUT in his tape you can find everything you want to find in a high level NFL QB. Exceptional traits... One of the few times you can say 'unique' without it being a hyperbole... excellent pocket presence. IMO he's the best in the class in this aspect. He feels pressure well and his movement skills and strength make him incredibly hard to bring down(his pressure to sack ratio is on Patrick Mahomes levels)... his deep ball is beautiful. I think he has elite arm. But he needs to learn to throw with touch, especially in the short range.

He shows flashes of some advanced quarterbacking traits too - holding a safety with his eyes, going through progressions... making the right reads even in full field progressions... again... it's inconsistent right now, but IMO he's much more advanced than people give him credit for... making checks and adjustments at the line of scrimmage. Even in his short 13 start career you can cobble together a highlight reel that shows not just exciting throws and runs(and he has a ton of those too - I think he had more 40+ yard runs last year than the Colts had ANY plays for over 40 yards for the whole season), but also true NFL type quarterbacking. One of the things I love the most is that even though he can be an exceptional runner, his natural instincts are to actually make throws from the pocket. He generally sits in the pocket and tries to make the right thing - reading through his progressions and throwing... even when he's pressured he doesn't automatically tuck it and run - he keeps his eyes downfield and still tries to make a throw. An example I'd like to give is - his throw/scramble/sack ratio when pressured is practically identical to that of CJ Stroud and Stroud is considered the quintessential pocket QB of this draft. But when he actually runs... boy oh boy... he's a TD thread any time he decides to leave the pocket. 

With all that said his footwork and mechanics need improvement because his short area accuracy is attrocious. He NEEDS to get better here... and he needs to learn to throw with some touch from time to time. 

Overall... I'm super excited. I think this Colts team has been one of the most boring NFL teams in recent years. I think Richardson can singlehandedly change that. He's a TD threat on any snap - be it with his arm or with his legs. Some of the things he does athletically are absurd. Cannot wait for the season to start and hopefully see him in action. By no means is he a sure thing... he's a risky pick and very well might bust... he will need a lot of work to get to a point where he's a good QB in the league, but IMO in a conference with Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Lamar, Watson, Herbert, Lawrence... now Rodgers... IMO you need a player of that stature in order to compete and Richardson was our best change at getting someone like that. 

Very well said. I agree 100%. He was unquestionably the right pick. Best-case scenario happened yesterday and I'm thrilled. Can't wait to build around him today and tomorrow now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Foles should be gone but you are probably right. Sam as a 3rd stringer I am fine with.

Me too. I'd even keep 3 QBs on the roster to keep Sam. He still technically can improve, and is a solid 3rd string QB in case of injury. Foles would just sink us. Hopefully, it never comes down to Sam again, but he has more traits at this point than Foles, and is a bit similar to Richardson and Minshew (unlike Foles).

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm really excited. AR has been my guy for most of the draft season. Pretty much the moment I started seriously watching tape(instead of just casually watching college games) I couldn't hold my excitement and intrigue with Richardson. He was a total rollercoaster this last season. Nothing in his game was consistent... BUT in his tape you can find everything you want to find in a high level NFL QB. Exceptional traits... One of the few times you can say 'unique' without it being a hyperbole... excellent pocket presence. IMO he's the best in the class in this aspect. He feels pressure well and his movement skills and strength make him incredibly hard to bring down(his pressure to sack ratio is on Patrick Mahomes levels)... his deep ball is beautiful. I think he has elite arm. But he needs to learn to throw with touch, especially in the short range.

He shows flashes of some advanced quarterbacking traits too - holding a safety with his eyes, going through progressions... making the right reads even in full field progressions... again... it's inconsistent right now, but IMO he's much more advanced than people give him credit for... making checks and adjustments at the line of scrimmage. Even in his short 13 start career you can cobble together a highlight reel that shows not just exciting throws and runs(and he has a ton of those too - I think he had more 40+ yard runs last year than the Colts had ANY plays for over 40 yards for the whole season), but also true NFL type quarterbacking. One of the things I love the most is that even though he can be an exceptional runner, his natural instincts are to actually make throws from the pocket. He generally sits in the pocket and tries to make the right thing - reading through his progressions and throwing... even when he's pressured he doesn't automatically tuck it and run - he keeps his eyes downfield and still tries to make a throw. An example I'd like to give is - his throw/scramble/sack ratio when pressured is practically identical to that of CJ Stroud and Stroud is considered the quintessential pocket QB of this draft. But when he actually runs... boy oh boy... he's a TD thread any time he decides to leave the pocket. 

With all that said his footwork and mechanics need improvement because his short area accuracy is attrocious. He NEEDS to get better here... and he needs to learn to throw with some touch from time to time. 

Overall... I'm super excited. I think this Colts team has been one of the most boring NFL teams in recent years. I think Richardson can singlehandedly change that. He's a TD threat on any snap - be it with his arm or with his legs. Some of the things he does athletically are absurd. Cannot wait for the season to start and hopefully see him in action. By no means is he a sure thing... he's a risky pick and very well might bust... he will need a lot of work to get to a point where he's a good QB in the league, but IMO in a conference with Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Lamar, Watson, Herbert, Lawrence... now Rodgers... IMO you need a player of that stature in order to compete and Richardson was our best change at getting someone like that. 

Nice write-up.

And you are right.  The biggest summary issue with the Colts last year was that they were Boring.

Not gonna be boring anymore!

• Like 2

I am watching Key, JWill, and Max and all they are talking about is Will Levis. How strange/disappointed Levis is probably feeling. They keep showing his mom and GF looking Pee'd off after every pick chuckling homer simpson GIF- Levis's facial expressions is Bo Callahan Like lol.

I remember that on draftday. He even looks like Bo a bit lol. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

CB is deep, don't worry... I like your pick. 

CB class is deep, but vikings don't have a Pick for next 56 selections and how many CBs would be off the board then? 

and, how ready would they be to start day 1 as CB position wasn't addressed in free agency unless Andrew Booth from last draft becomes lock down corner all of a sudden? Even then, I'd think Vikings would need to get two corners from this class, who would probably take time to develop. 

I hope they better start signing Shaq Griffin and at least one more CB in free agency 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, Bo was so upset he didn't go #1 haha . He does look like Bo, too freaking funny. Ballard pulled a Costner.

I will follow this up because I was almost 99% sure we were taking Levis at #4. Glad I was wrong, I jumped around and ran down my hall way after we picked AR, damn near spilled my beer!

• Like 1

Yeah, Bo was so upset he didn't go #1 haha . He does look like Bo, too freaking funny. Ballard pulled a Costner.

Yep, have so much energy right now. Slept like a baby. Can't wait for day 2 of the draft! We just stood at 4 and got our guy while the Texans did all the work for us! haha 

I have Levis and Stroud as busts, with Young and Richardson as hits. I'll have to see where Hooker goes before deciding on him.

• Like 1

I will follow this up because I was almost 99% sure we were taking Levis at #4. Glad I was wrong, I jumped around and ran down my hall way after we picked AR, damn near spilled my beer!

I was doing the Daniel Bryan YES chant on the phone about 25 times lol. Just really quickly lol.

4 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

CB class is deep, but vikings don't have a Pick for next 56 selections and how many CBs would be off the board then? 

and, how ready would they be to start day 1 as CB position wasn't addressed in free agency unless Andrew Booth from last draft becomes lock down corner all of a sudden? Even then, I'd think Vikings would need to get two corners from this class, who would probably take time to develop. 

I hope they better start signing Shaq Griffin and at least one more CB in free agency 

You missed out on a WR run, but got the last WR in the tier in Addison. I don't blame you guys for the pick. It was a good pick IMO. Now you should go after CB. The run has been short so far, and you might be able to get someone at the end of a tier at CB as well. Thats how GMs do it, the tier approach (usually at positions of need).

40 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

I predicted 9 wins that season, so I was pleasantly surprised at how much Rivers had left.

I can’t think about the past much though, because then I remember that we had the two best QB prospects in history, and only won a single Lombardi. I guess it just proves that having THE GUY at QB doesn’t guarantee anything.

I do think Ballard is on to something, you’ve gotta have more than just a star at QB, you need the chain movers, the Kelcie’s, the Reggie Wayne’s, then you need a decent D, it’s a challenge to put all that together at the same time. I don’t think our current roster is all that great but I don’t think it’s trash either. I think it was trying to fit the square peg into a round hole thing under the previous coaching staff and that showed

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What I see is Ballard's attempt to find a QB to compete with Allen and Mohomes.  Exactly what "schemes" do they run?  Nobody cares what scheme they run.  People care about what plays they make off structure.  Run around with the ball and make a play. 

Sort of like Phil Jackson's "scheme" to get the ball into MJs hands and have him make plays...with a little designed diversion here and there to give him a break so he didn't have to do it every play.

Steichen has reportedly told Ballard "nobody can do the things at QB that AR can do".

It seems to me that they are looking for an athlete that can make plays out of structure and win ball games for them.  Teach him some structured football for those diversionary "rest plays", but then he has to get back at it and do something for us.   

Picking an athlete that has started 13 games at pick 4 and hoping he can have the impact a Mahomes or Allen has in a few years is pure desperation, IMO.

There were lots of trades in the first round,.  Its conceivable that a less desperate GM could have traded down a few times and now be sitting with 2 picks in rounds 1,2 and 3 next year and potentially drafting Levis...or Hooker if that's who you prefer.  But QBs like them have to succeed within structure. 

How many rings did the Bulls win before Phil and the triangle offense came to town?

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Welp....  After thinking about this overnight, I've arrived at this conclusion:

The Colts are definitely not in win-now mode.

They've got a sushi-raw QB that won't start for a year, and might not begin to build momentum for another year.  Maybe more.  They've got a brand new HC that's never coached before, and has a 6-year contract.

It's possible that the players we got in the 2018 draft will be at the end of their careers by the time this new plan is ready.

Possible? It’s probable. This is a rebuild. 

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I do think Ballard is on to something, you’ve gotta have more than just a star at QB, you need the chain movers, the Kelcie’s, the Reggie Wayne’s, then you need a decent D, it’s a challenge to put all that together at the same time. I don’t think our current roster is all that great but I don’t think it’s trash either. I think it was trying to fit the square peg into a round hole thing under the previous coaching staff and that showed

We need a great TE that AR can have as a security blanket with his style of play. A TE that is automatic on 3rd and short and great in the Red Zone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

With all the smoke about Levis, I didn’t think was going to be him.  I was seriously concerned they would try to trade up for Stroud. I think Houston may have saved us there

• Like 1