Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft Night: Projecting Up To Indy's Pick

Boondoggle

1. Carolina: the rumors have consistently linked them to Young.  At this point it seems like a done deal, YOUNG is likely to be the guy.

2. Houston: Shefty broke a story that these guys were in the mix for a trade-up to 1.  This tells me they want to solve QB, which is a good decision, as they're not going to do anything until that happens.  They have a new regime in place, and like so many new regimes nowadays it comes with a WCO offensive coordinator.  This one hails from the 9ers staff.  Now I don't know what's going on with Stroud but as talented as he is I have never been sold on how much dog is in the kid.  When he focuses in he is as good as it gets.  But how is he going to handle the grind to climb that NFL QB mountain.  I think Houston is correct to be concerned, and I think the inevitable decision is to take LEVIS.

3. Arizona: this franchise is a dumpster fire.  They paid a smurf who required a study clause.  Bidwill is probably the worst owner in the league right now.  In this situation they could attempt to rectify the QB situation with Stroud or Richardson and park that QB behind their smurf, but the quality of the Edge option is significant enough that they'll elect for the "easy" decision and take ANDERSON.

4. Vegas: I believe Indy's guy was Levis, for good reason.  But Stroud at this point has to be the pick OR you move down.  Richardson is not in play here because he is simply too raw.  At this point I think their phone starts ringing, with teams like Vegas and Tennessee calling to move up.  And I expect Indy makes a deal with the Raiders and slides down because why help a division rival.  Raiders take STROUD here.

5. Seattle: Pete Carroll just inked Geno Smith to a 3 year deal.  That works about perfectly with the drafting of a project QB with high upside so the pick here is RICHARDSON.

6. Lions: Detroit's offense had a nice surge last year behind a rebuilt OL but their defense was terrible.  They need secondary help and there is an outstanding corner sitting there on the board for them in GONZALEZ.

7. Indy: the faithful are going to be upset, having watched the top 4 QBs go off the board.  It gets even uglier when Ballard continues to be practical and selects CARTER here, with an eye towards fielding a dominant defensive front.

In return for the trade-up Indy will have that 70 overall pick from Vegas and they will use that pick to select Jaren Hall.  HALL, my friends, will be our QB of the future.

It's probably the right thing to do, and our D becomes really good (assuming we find a CB in round 2 or 3).  And we could probably have a mediocre offense with GM at QB, if we find a T/G in the draft or free agency.

BUT - I think the chances of us taking 2 D players in round 1 (and no QB) are less than that of Luck coming back to play for the Colts.

45 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

1. Carolina: the rumors have consistently linked them to Young.  At this point it seems like a done deal, YOUNG is likely to be the guy.

2. Houston: Shefty broke a story that these guys were in the mix for a trade-up to 1.  This tells me they want to solve QB, which is a good decision, as they're not going to do anything until that happens.  They have a new regime in place, and like so many new regimes nowadays it comes with a WCO offensive coordinator.  This one hails from the 9ers staff.  Now I don't know what's going on with Stroud but as talented as he is I have never been sold on how much dog is in the kid.  When he focuses in he is as good as it gets.  But how is he going to handle the grind to climb that NFL QB mountain.  I think Houston is correct to be concerned, and I think the inevitable decision is to take LEVIS.

3. Arizona: this franchise is a dumpster fire.  They paid a smurf who required a study clause.  Bidwill is probably the worst owner in the league right now.  In this situation they could attempt to rectify the QB situation with Stroud or Richardson and park that QB behind their smurf, but the quality of the Edge option is significant enough that they'll elect for the "easy" decision and take ANDERSON.

4. Vegas: I believe Indy's guy was Levis, for good reason.  But Stroud at this point has to be the pick OR you move down.  Richardson is not in play here because he is simply too raw.  At this point I think their phone starts ringing, with teams like Vegas and Tennessee calling to move up.  And I expect Indy makes a deal with the Raiders and slides down because why help a division rival.  Raiders take STROUD here.

5. Seattle: Pete Carroll just inked Geno Smith to a 3 year deal.  That works about perfectly with the drafting of a project QB with high upside so the pick here is RICHARDSON.

6. Lions: Detroit's offense had a nice surge last year behind a rebuilt OL but their defense was terrible.  They need secondary help and there is an outstanding corner sitting there on the board for them in GONZALEZ.

7. Indy: the faithful are going to be upset, having watched the top 4 QBs go off the board.  It gets even uglier when Ballard continues to be practical and selects CARTER here, with an eye towards fielding a dominant defensive front.

In return for the trade-up Indy will have that 70 overall pick from Vegas and they will use that pick to select Jaren Hall.  HALL, my friends, will be our QB of the future.

Did the Colts bring in Hall for a top 30 visit?  I don't recall, but I may have missed it

The corner quality at 35 looks like it could be quite good.  If not, moving up might be an option.  Edge in particular looks excellent to me in that range in most mocks I've seen or done, though Edge also looks good into round 3.

Problem with waiting on QB is that whoever they like, let's say it's one favorite with a secondary option, so for the sake of argument let's assume it's Hall / Tune, is trying to nail down the sweet range to take him.  Because at that point some random team taking your favorite option is a catastrophe.  

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Did the Colts bring in Hall for a top 30 visit?  I don't recall, but I may have missed it

Not that I can see.  But those lists inevitably are missing some names and probably the guys they like most.

Re: Hall I just think he's an underrated WCO fit.  But they could just as easily be high on Tune or Haener, who knows.  Just making an educated guess based on who I prefer for them.

Outside that top group there are verified interviews of Hooker and O'Connell.

54 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

It's probably the right thing to do, and our D becomes really good (assuming we find a CB in round 2 or 3).  And we could probably have a mediocre offense with GM at QB, if we find a T/G in the draft or free agency.

BUT - I think the chances of us taking 2 D players in round 1 (and no QB) are less than that of Luck coming back to play for the Colts.

Not following. Did we get 2 first rounders in the trade down? Understood on a trade down from 4 to 7 and picking up the 70th draft pick.  Don't think that is near enough in return. 

I think we stand pat at 4 and take Richardson or Stroud. No way we pass on a QB.

40 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Not following. Did we get 2 first rounders in the trade down? Understood on a trade down from 4 to 7 and picking up the 70th draft pick.  Don't think that is near enough in return. 

I think we stand pat at 4 and take Richardson or Stroud. No way we pass on a QB.

My bad, it was wishful thinking on my part.  You're right, I don't like that trade either.

I agree - we stay at 4.  But it's possible that it may be a choice between AR, Stroud, and Willis.  

That's if Houston passes on a QB (I doubt it very much), and no one trade with them or Zona.

As a Buckeye, I like Stroud.  The guy could knock a fly off the goal post at 50 yards.  But I'm intrigued by the possibility of AR.

2 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

Not that I can see.  But those lists inevitably are missing some names and probably the guys they like most.

Re: Hall I just think he's an underrated WCO fit.  But they could just as easily be high on Tune or Haener, who knows.  Just making an educated guess based on who I prefer for them.

Outside that top group there are verified interviews of Hooker and O'Connell.

I have a real hard time believing they will draft the next starting qb without having him in on a top 30 visit.   

23 hours ago, Smonroe said:

My bad, it was wishful thinking on my part.  You're right, I don't like that trade either.

I agree - we stay at 4.  But it's possible that it may be a choice between AR, Stroud, and Willis.  

That's if Houston passes on a QB (I doubt it very much), and no one trade with them or Zona.

As a Buckeye, I like Stroud.  The guy could knock a fly off the goal post at 50 yards.  But I'm intrigued by the possibility of AR.

Agree with you on  Stroud but I will be shocked if the Texans pass on him. I know they don't like his agent but they need a QB bad. If they do pass on him I would be happy to have Stroud in the fold if he lasts till 4. Don't really want us to give up what it will take to move up but if you 'wanta play you gota pay".

Unless we can trade with the Ravens for Jackson, no way do Colts not draft one of the four  qb’s with our pick tomorrow night. Ballard can’t survive another 4 or 5 win season while again punting on qb of the future.

47 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Unless we can trade with the Ravens for Jackson, no way do Colts not draft one of the four  qb’s with our pick tomorrow night. Ballard can’t survive another 4 or 5 win season while again punting on qb of the future.

Is he punting on QB of the future if he takes a midround choice like Jaren Hall.

On 4/25/2023 at 12:55 PM, Boondoggle said:

I actually like it except for I think Carter is gone at 5 Seattle. I like them to stay at 4 and pick Carter regardless of who is left at qb. Sneak back into the 1st and pick Richardson, Hall, DTR or Hooker. Basically what ever highest rated qb is left.

3 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

Is he punting on QB of the future if he takes a midround choice like Jaren Hall.

Yes, it’s punting. Of course if they really are thinking about this BYU qb they could get his predecessor who was better at BYU and could be had for a bag of peanuts from the Jets. Hopefully, Ballard has more sense.

16 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Yes, it’s punting. Of course if they really are thinking about this BYU qb they could get his predecessor who was better at BYU and could be had for a bag of peanuts from the Jets. Hopefully, Ballard has more sense.

There is more to playing QB than the measurables.  Wilson was immensely talented but Hall might end up being by far the better pro.  He's got enough arm, good movement, enough size.  But leadership and maturity are far better than what Wilson had going on.

That entire offensive team bought t-shirts when White finally got the job.  Shows something was wrong in that kid's approach as it pertains to leading a room of grown men.

On 4/25/2023 at 3:32 PM, Smonroe said:

I cant see the boss signing off on a non QB......but we have seen stranger things just this season

On 4/25/2023 at 4:36 PM, hoosierhawk said:

The value chart is close but not close enough.  i don't see ballard selling 4 to 7 for a loss in value by picking up 70.   The difference from 4 to 7 is 300 pts and 70 is valued at 240.

Ballard would be dealing from a position of strength so i think he would get more than just that 3rd rounder.  

I don't think a trade down is out of the question but if so i think it will be for above value.  

16 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

I cant see the boss signing off on a non QB......but we have seen stranger things just this season

You may be right about this.  I think also it is tough for Ballard to not convince himself he has to take one of these guys.  That's a real danger in this draft.

Of those top 4 maybe one or two of them hit.  So if the ones you think are worthy are not available what do you do.  Force the pick and convince yourself that other option can get the job done?  Or maybe have a fallback you like later.

There's no telling what he's thinking of course.  But my guess comes down to Irsay not wanting to run a read-option offense, and also Irsay wanting a face of the franchise.  He'll probably support whatever the GM and HC tell him they want, if they're on the same page.  But he's a very opinionated owner and that opinion is going to factor in tonight.

If we end up just taking one of them I'll understand that too btw.  It's hard being where they are, having been pining for a QB for so long now.  It's the type of thing that can make a GM desperate and affect his good judgment.  But hopefully Ballard can hold his water on this if he prefers one of the second or third tier guys.

I have a feeling Stroud could fall to us tonight. It’s anyone’s guess though. 

I think Seattle really wants Richardson. They could surprise us tonight and try to get as high as 2. 

Levis seems like the most likely pick for us… However, if Stroud falls… I’d take him.

Levis has a lot of talent and promise. I just worry about his mentality. If he passed the Colts interviews then I’d be happy with him and my worries would subside. They’ll do the right thing there. 

I’m more than okay with taking Anderson and rolling with Minshew this season. 

The only thing that would make me rethink things is if we take Richardson. During the Ballard era, he has always been incredibly honest. Steichen is on record that accuracy is very important. If he takes Richardson then he wasn’t being honest with us. And I’m not against taking Richardson, because he has a lot of tools to work with. However, I wouldn’t look at Steichen the same again. I believe it’s important to do what you say. He didn’t have to say it. And I don’t care much for manipulation. Especially when it’s unnecessary to do so. 

Archived