Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Football Outsiders Mock Draft: harsh on the Colts.

This is a mock by Mike Tanier of Football Outsiders. He is really harsh on Ballard and the Colts. There may be some truth to it. Yikes!

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2023/bears-go-brrrrr-pre-free-agency-mock-draft

4. Indianapolis Colts: Will Levis, QB, Kentucky

You may be shocked to discover this, but Chris Ballard has no idea how to evaluate a quarterback.

That's right: the general manager who did not realize that Carson Wentz was an uncoachable toddler-man and that Matt Ryan graduated from high school three years before Liam Neeson just might struggle with the big-picture thinking required to select a franchise quarterback. That makes Levis pure Ballard catnip: he's a scouted-by-groupthink, looks-the-part prospect that the Colts can trumpet as a "safe" selection who did not require some sort of risky trade-up.

You can read my thoughts on Levis in the FO 100 if you are an FO+ subscriber, as you should be. The short version: I think we're all being gaslit by some "source" who picked a tall major-program quarterback who looked pretty good in 2021 out of a hat and whispered his name into the ears of the top media draftniks. If you start with the assumption that Levis is a top-10 pick because that's where he's listed on most public draft boards, and you really cherry-pick his film/metrics/accomplishments, you can just barely find a quarterback worthy of that position, just as you can see the face of the Madonna in a bowl of pastina if you squint hard enough. If you watch Levis with a completely open mind, however, he's a tiny notch above Davis Mills.

Levis is the quarterback a team ends up with when they have made so many shortsighted decisions over multiple years that they are left with no choice but to draft any quarterback who passes the sniff test. And here we are.

Liam Nesson is 70 years old, I guess that is the crux of the joke though. I really hope we don't take Will Levis, he is very comparable to Carson Wentz IMO. Strong arm and mobile just like Wentz but I watched the whole games (3 game sample size) of him against Georgia, Tennessee, and a bad Vanderbilt team and he stunk, I doubt his leadership skills and his decision making.

5 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

This is a mock by Mike Tanier of Football Outsiders. He is really harsh on Ballard and the Colts. There may be some truth to it. Yikes!

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2023/bears-go-brrrrr-pre-free-agency-mock-draft

You may be shocked to discover this, but Chris Ballard has no idea how to evaluate a quarterback.

That's right: the general manager who did not realize that Carson Wentz was an uncoachable toddler-man and that Matt Ryan graduated from high school three years before Liam Neeson just might struggle with the big-picture thinking required to select a franchise quarterback. That makes Levis pure Ballard catnip: he's a scouted-by-groupthink, looks-the-part prospect that the Colts can trumpet as a "safe" selection who did not require some sort of risky trade-up.

You can read my thoughts on Levis in the FO 100 if you are an FO+ subscriber, as you should be. The short version: I think we're all being gaslit by some "source" who picked a tall major-program quarterback who looked pretty good in 2021 out of a hat and whispered his name into the ears of the top media draftniks. If you start with the assumption that Levis is a top-10 pick because that's where he's listed on most public draft boards, and you really cherry-pick his film/metrics/accomplishments, you can just barely find a quarterback worthy of that position, just as you can see the face of the Madonna in a bowl of pastina if you squint hard enough. If you watch Levis with a completely open mind, however, he's a tiny notch above Davis Mills.

Levis is the quarterback a team ends up with when they have made so many shortsighted decisions over multiple years that they are left with no choice but to draft any quarterback who passes the sniff test. And here we are.

I mean, he's not wrong, about Levis or Ballard. This pick would stink and I'm glad a major mock draft writer is calling it out this way. Make people aware of our situation of how Ballard runs things. Most fans are oblivious to it.

To me if I was ranking the QB's coming out: (top 5)

1. Bryce Young - Only worry is his size and height. Great accuracy, foot work, leadership skills, and mobile enough.

2. CJ Stroud - Safe pick. Not really great at anything but good at everything.

3. Anthony Richardson - His accuracy is an issue, has it all other than that = he is smart, fast, and his decision making is good but he needs to be on target.

4. Will Levis - Strong arm and mobile but I am not sold on his decision making or leadership skills.

5. Hendon Hooker - Problem here is, his injury. When will he return? ACL isn't a major injury but it isn't good. He may not play in 2023 or might not be ready until mid season??

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1. Bryce Young - Only worry is his size and height. Great accuracy, foot work, leadership skills, and mobile enough.

3. Anthony Richardson - His accuracy is an issue, has it all other than that = he is smart, fast, and his decision making is good but he needs to be on target.

4. Will Levis - Strong arm and mobile but I am not sold on his decision making or leadership skills.

5. Hendon Hooker - Problem here is, his injury. When will he return? ACL isn't a major injury but it isn't good. He may not play in 2024 or might not be ready until mid season??

I would switch Stroud and Young. Other than that I agree with you. Young worries me a bit with his size and weight, but we'll see how he does.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

5. Hendon Hooker - Problem here is, his injury. When will he return? ACL isn't a major injury but it isn't good. He may not play in 2023 or might not be ready until mid season??

Dark horses for a late pick as in 3rd round or later would be Stetson Bennett and Max Duggan. I would be surprised if either had good pro career's but sometimes QB's shock people. I would not get Brock Purdy syndrome over how he played, that is rare for a late pick but he played great for 7 games. Dak went in round 4, Russell Wilson went in round 3. Of course Tom went in round 6 but he is such an outlier.

1 hour ago, Tsarquise said:

You can count on me never subscribing to anything this clown writes.  

perfectly said, can't say any better. 

He's the first writer I've seen give a proper evaluation about Levis boldly without being mesmerized by the arm strength and athleticism alone, that he's not worthy of a top 10 selection in the draft. 

Eventually, he'll be proven right, but I see the immediate rage against the writer here. 

As for Ballard, it's his job to get a franchise QB, and he'll gain respect outside of the Colts fan base only when he proves he could. That's fair, plain and simple. 

Do your Job, Earn the Trust. 

I’m usually the first one to dismiss any notion that there’s media bias towards the Colts but now I’m starting to see it. Daniel Jeremiah has also been critical of the Colts specifically over the QB issue.

I don’t get what this guy’s deal is. Sounds like he was one of the million talking heads who projected the Colts to trade up to one, and now that he was wrong he’s got sand in his pants and wants to take it out on the fans.

His pick analysis came off as very child like. Almost like a tantrum. “You didn’t do what I wanted so now I hope you fail miserably. And here’s exactly how you’re going to fail”

Its embarrassing honestly.

5 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’m usually the first one to dismiss any notion that there’s media bias towards the Colts but now I’m starting to see it. Daniel Jeremiah has also been critical of the Colts specifically over the QB issue.

I don’t get what this guy’s deal is. Sounds like he was one of the million talking heads who projected the Colts to trade up to one, and now that he was wrong he’s got sand in his pants and wants to take it out on the fans.

His pick analysis came off as very child like. Almost like a tantrum. “You didn’t do what I wanted so now I hope you fail miserably. And here’s exactly how you’re going to fail”

For that, you need to prove that the writer actually wanted Colts to trade up. 

instead You have imagined that as the case, typical angry response that someone was harsh on Colts. 

Guys need to chill down, and be prepared for critics as well. Not everything about the Colts has to be said Rosy. 

59 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

If we take Levis, I hope his take is wrong, but if anything, I'd say he is unbiased. 

47 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

For that, you need to prove that the writer actually wanted Colts to trade up. 

instead You have imagined that as the case, typical angry response that someone was harsh on Colts. 

Guys need to chill down, and be prepared for critics as well. Not everything about the Colts has to be said Rosy. 

You’ve got the wrong guy man. When people were ripping guys like Bill Cowher for condemning the Saturday higher, I was in agreeable with Cowher. Typically I’m always the guys saying it’s the fanbase who just doesn’t like when this time is rightfully criticized. In fact your statement on how not everything about the Colts is going to be rosy, is something I have said many times.

This is different though. There was a lot of talk on Twitter and draft circles that the Colts were definitely going to trade up. Including some “rumors” that said many around the league expected us to trade up. You can tell who thought that way based on the backlash they have given to the Colts.

This particular report just seems Mel Kiper’ish to me. We didn’t trade up like everyone wanted so the narrative is that we are just going to settle for the 4th best QB. Draft media pundits create narratives for the draft. They try and build credibility by creating narratives they hope are proven true. Who the best QB is, who the sleeper pick is, what team absolutely needs to trade up, how this player may never develop, etc…

The narrative was that the Bryce Young is the undisputed best QB in the class and the Colts needed to trade up in front of their division rival to get them. The Colts did not follow the script that so many in the media layed out for them, and that is why you see some of the backlash that you’re seeing.

Im no Ballard lover or blind Colts loyalist. I’m just calling it how I see it.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

You’ve got the wrong guy man. When people were ripping guys like Bill Cowher for condemning the Saturday higher, I was in agreeable with Cowher. Typically I’m always the guys saying it’s the fanbase who just doesn’t like when this time is rightfully criticized. In fact your statement on how not everything about the Colts is going to be rosy, is something I have said many times.

This is different though. There was a lot of talk on Twitter and draft circles that the Colts were definitely going to trade up. Including some “rumors” that said many around the league expected us to trade up. You can tell who thought that way based on the backlash they have given to the Colts.

This particular report just seems Mel Kiper’ish to me. We didn’t trade up like everyone wanted so the narrative is that we are just going to settle for the 4th best QB. Draft media pundits create narratives for the draft. They try and build credibility by creating narratives they hope are proven true. Who the best QB is, who the sleeper pick is, what team absolutely needs to trade up, how this player may never develop, etc…

The narrative was that the Bryce Young is the undisputed best QB in the class and the Colts needed to trade up in front of their division rival to get them. The Colts did not follow the script that so many in the media layed out for them, and that is why you see some of the backlash that you’re seeing.

The Colts may not settle for the 4th best QB, but they are settling for the 3rd or 4th QB given to them. That's the issue. It's out of their control. If they want Levis or Richardson, there's a good chance they get who they want, but we don't know that yet.

9 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Some in here just read what they want to your defense. I am known as a guy that is Mr Positive, wearing blue colored glasses all the time, and never bashing the team.

Yet I have said numerous times that I hated the Wentz deal, I was down on Wentz and that is the most important position on the field. I have criticized Ballard for not being more aggressive in Free Agency and have really been critical of him lately on other things. I was all for firing Reich as well and even said I think he lost the team last season. Yet to some, they think I think we are perfect and rosy.

17 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The draft pundits were wrong with what they thought the Colts were going to do. They should have known by now that Ballard doesn't follow their script. I highly doubt that Ballard gives a rats behind about what the Football Outsiders think. 

I don't think there's any script. 

If experts say Ballard doesn't do drastic trade up, it's based on the past as they always do with every GM.

But, they could always say Colts should trade up this time, and missed doing it. It's their opinion. 

There's no script here that anyone follows. 

Similarly, Ballard will do what he thinks is best for the organization. Whether it works out for the best, time will tell. 

33 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The Colts may not settle for the 4th best QB, but they are settling for the 3rd or 4th QB given to them. That's the issue. It's out of their control. If they want Levis or Richardson, there's a good chance they get who they want, but we don't know that yet.

You pretty much said it yourself: we don’t know yet. That’s why the media shouldn’t be overreacting the way they are. We don’t know who Ballard and Steichen want. If they feel that they’re guy will be there at 4, then we should wait until the draft to see how that shakes out.

It’s not settling for the 3rd or 4th ranked QB necessarily. All these teams will have the QBs ranked differently. Different GMs and coaches value different things in players. Richardson may be QB1 for Ballard and QB4 for another team. 

In the 2020 draft everyone was saying the Dolphins and Chargers should move up to secure their guys, but they didn’t and they both got Tua and Herbert exactly in their original spots. 

15 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

If experts say Ballard doesn't do drastic trade up, it's based on the past as they always do with every GM.

But, they could always say Colts should trade up this time, and missed doing it. It's their opinion. 

Similarly, Ballard will do what he thinks is best for the organization. Whether it works out for the best, time will tell. 

Mock drafts are anticipated scripts, just saying.  

24 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

There is a script. These people who cover the draft layout what they think each teams weaknesses is and what they have to or should do in the draft. 

When teams don’t follow that, they automatically jump and say the team made a bad pick decision. Sometimes they are right like the Eagles passing on Jefferson for Reagor. But other times they are wrong like how they thought the Shaq Leonard pick was bad. They rarely acknowledge when they are wrong though.

26 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Mock drafts are anticipated scripts, just saying.  

mock drafts... ok

the narrative doesn't have to be. There are some writers who do get fixated on their judgment of others, I guess that brings bad reputation for many more. Some could just be honest with the way they express their opinions and come across harsh. 

I have my problems with Ballard and his QB selections so far, but just for the record Mike Tanier is trash and he's had this one-sided beef/obsession with Chris Ballard for some reason for years now. He doesn't miss a chance to take a shot at him any chance he gets whether it's warranted or not. It looks personal... no idea what the root cause is... but there must be something... Did his wife cheat on him with Ballard? Did Ballard kill his puppy or burn his house? No idea, but there must be something... Otherwise I can't explain the incessant vitriol this guy spews at Ballard... 

3 hours ago, stitches said:

I have my problems with Ballard and his QB selections so far, but just for the record Mike Tanier is trash and he's had this one-sided beef/obsession with Chris Ballard for some reason for years now. He doesn't miss a chance to take a shot at him any chance he gets whether it's warranted or not. It looks personal... no idea what the root cause is... but there must be something... Did his wife cheat on him with Ballard? Did Ballard kill his puppy or burn his house? No idea, but there must be something... Otherwise I can't explain the incessant vitriol this guy spews at Ballard... 

Maybe his issue with Ballard is that he thinks he is simply bad at his job, or overrated? I don't necessarily agree with Tanier, but I can't imagine it being personal. 

Occam's razor and stuff. 

But who knows, maybe you're right, maybe Ballard got a good taste of his wife :D lol

Maybe Tanier is Broly to Ballard's Kakarot and it goes back to when they were new borns lol.

20 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Maybe his issue with Ballard is that he thinks he is simply bad at his job, or overrated? I don't necessarily agree with Tanier, but I can't imagine it being personal. 

Occam's razor and stuff. 

But who knows, maybe you're right, maybe Ballard got a good taste of his wife :D lol

Maybe Tanier is Broly to Ballard's Kakarot and it goes back to when they were new borns lol.

He has tweet from 2017 taking shots at Ballard. That's like a few months after he became a our GM... 

I guess it's possible. It just seems very personal to me every time I read his blurbs on the Colts and Ballard. Hell even in this snippet above, tell me this doesn't sound personal...

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

He has tweet from 2017 taking shots at Ballard. That's like a few months after he became a our GM... 

I guess it's possible. It just seems very personal to me every time I read his blurbs on the Colts and Ballard. Hell even in this snippet above, tell me this doesn't sound personal...

I don't see a tweet. 

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

I meant the one you posted.

I think I misread your comment, thinking you were providing the tweet from 2017. Maybe you're right if he was taking shots at him in 2017 so early in his tenure. I am interested in seeing the tweet. 

6 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

I think I misread your comment, thinking you were providing the tweet from 2017. Maybe you're right if he was taking shots at him in 2017 so early in his tenure. I am interested in seeing the tweet. 

this is one I found... 

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

T

Some really intelligent person posted a response to this question earlier today

On Monday, NFL insider Tom Pelissero shared Hooker’s personal update on his recovery outlook. According to Pelissero, Hooker is off the crutches and indicated he should be back running by the end of March and will be ready for training camp wherever he winds up.

The kid will be playing this year...... 

If we cant get QB1 or QB2.......  A stud DL would be a decent option and take Hooker in round 2 (Or late in round 1 to get the 5 year) OR just take Richardson and hope

42 minutes ago, stitches said:

this is one I found... 

Too bad I cannot see the tweet he is replying to for a little added context, but it seems like he is annoyed by the praise that Ballard gets from the fan base. Probably felt/feels it was unwarranted. 

Later on he responded to someone asking if he thought Ballard was good or not, and he said that he is still learning about the strengths and weaknesses of Ballard, so he doesn't necessarily seem biased in that regard. Does seem to be annoyed by Colts fans exalting him and putting him on a pedestal. Or perhaps that makes him biased.

https://twitter.com/MikeTanier/status/922071884061081601?s=20

4 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Too bad I cannot see the tweet he is replying to for a little added context, but it seems like he is annoyed by the praise that Ballard gets from the fan base. Probably felt/feels it was unwarranted. 

Later on he responded to someone asking if he thought Ballard was good or not, and he said that he is still learning about the strengths and weaknesses of Ballard, so he doesn't necessarily seem biased in that regard. Does seem to be annoyed by Colts fans exalting him and putting him on a pedestal. Or perhaps that makes him biased.

https://twitter.com/MikeTanier/status/922071884061081601?s=20

Keep in mind this is literally months after he was hired. And he's already having problems with people liking their new GM. And this is not the only thing I'm basing my opinion on. I've read plenty of snarky pieces like the one you shared in OP.

36 minutes ago, stitches said:

Keep in mind this is literally months after he was hired. And he's already having problems with people liking their new GM. And this is not the only thing I'm basing my opinion on. I've read plenty of snarky pieces like the one you shared in OP.

Yeah, you may have a point. It's pretty normal for fans to be hopeful and positive about their new hire. 

16 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Sounds like this Mike guy submitted his resume to the Colts and Ballard didn’t hire him……

Its been established many times over the head coach picked those QB’s and he obliged…..

That same head coach is responsible for the number one pick and let me tell ya - EVERY QB in this draft is flawed from a size, skill set or mindset point of view and FR has an interesting choice to make.

I hope his analysis of Reich is just as harsh……if not it sounds like sour grapes to me…

20 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Did Ballard sleep with this guy's wife?  Kick his dog?  Beat his kid?  Seems a little personal vitriol to me.

Archived