Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 Colts and NFL free agency news, rumors, discussions

stitches

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The slight decline is due to Lamar getting injured and missing large chunks of the last two seasons.    Tough to lose your starting QB and not have some kind of falloff. 

I think its more then that. But like I said it's my opinion it maybe totally inaccurate. I could see Harbaugh looking for employment elsewhere in the near future. 

5 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Not sure  it will matter if we keep Kelly because we probably already have his replacement with Pinter. I expect them to address Oline in the draft. It just would be nice to have a vet at RG. Fries was ok but not great.  We need a CB and WR Early in the draft.

After Pinter’s disastrous 2022 season, I’m not excited by the prospect of assuming he can take over center and do a great job.  

He might do well.   Might.   But my expectations are much lower.   And that concerns me greatly considering the Colts will have two new quarterbacks and one will be a high profile rookie.   

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

After Pinter’s disastrous 2022 season, I’m not excited by the prospect of assuming he can take over center and do a great job.  

He might do well.   Might.   But my expectations are much lower.   And that concerns me greatly considering the Colts will have two new quarterbacks and one will be a high profile rookie.   

He was playing out of position. That’s on Ballard thinking he could play right guard. He is a center.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He was playing out of position. That’s on Ballard thinking he could play right guard. He is a center.

Actually, he played tackle in college.   Making the conversion to guard should have been easier.   Center is harder than guard when you factor in the line calls and snapping.    And now that the entire NFL has video tape of last year, there’s now a book on how to handle Pinter.   

He still might be good.  I’m just much less optimistic.   And that’s on Ballard.  

• Like 1

Here colts are with letting a WR go and not signing anyone. Panthers don’t have a QB either. No excuse for Ballard.

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Actually, he played tackle in college.   Making the conversion to guard should have been easier.   Center is harder than guard when you factor in the line calls and snapping.    And now that the entire NFL has video tape of last year, there’s now a book on how to handle Pinter.   

He still might be good.  I’m just much less optimistic.   And that’s on Ballard.  

He has been pretty good when he has played center for us. Better then Kelly.

33 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I agree.  When he’s been at Center, he’s played a bit better than Kelly…

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Here colts are with letting a WR go and not signing anyone. Panthers don’t have a QB either. No excuse for Ballard.

He has been pretty good when he has played center for us. Better than Rs….  

Yes….  Pinter has been good for the Colts at center.   For two games.   Two.   And a disaster at guard for 4-5 games.   

I also remember Matt Pryor being good at LT for two games in 21.   And a disaster in 22.   Pryor was also pretty good at both RT and RG in 21.   And a disaster in 22.   Past performance is not a guarantee of future performance.  

We had two guys who were pretty good in 21.   And both pooped the bed in 22.   That would be very very bad if it happened again with two new quarterbacks in 23. 

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts still haven’t addressed their most glaring weaknesses. Sometimes I think Ballard needs better people around him to help him with the offensive side of the ball.

What’s their biggest weakness in your eyes?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

They may draft Schmitz ( center) in second round if they pass on CB and WR

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He has been pretty good when he has played center for us. Better then Kelly.

Those are two pretty good receivers to try and get on your team with a rookie starting quarterback looming.  I would think they are going to have pay up for either one of them.

9 minutes ago, Archer said:

What’s their biggest weakness in your eyes?

They have done nothing so far regarding Oline. They also let a WR go and still haven’t signed one and the market is starting to dry up.  If they weren’t willing to pay a WR in FA then he should of paid Campbell.  We can’t go into the season with Dulin as WR3. That would be awful.

I will say this using our TE more in the passing game helps elevate some of the WR issue. Granson especially.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts still haven’t addressed their most glaring weaknesses. Sometimes I think Ballard needs better people around him to help him with the offensive side of the ball.

Boy….  If only Ballard had recently hired an offensive minded head coach.   Hmm?   If only.   You know….  Like a head coach who was most recently the OC and play caller of an offense that scored 35 points in the recent Super Bowl.   If only that had happened. 

And if only he and that new HC had just hired a whole new offensive staff? 

But that didn’t happen now did it?!?    No, wait!!       

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Just breathe and relax…. We have our outside 2 guys we can get a slot guy pretty easily in the draft. RG is pretty easy to draft especially in this class.

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

They have done nothing so far regarding Oline. They also let a WR go and still haven’t signed one and the market is starting to dry up.  If they weren’t willing to pay a WR in FA then he should of paid Campbell.  We can’t go into the season with Dulin as WR3. That would be awful.

I will say this using our TE more in the passing game helps elevate some of the WR issue. Granson especially.

Yeah, I think we’ll add a veteran OL or two from that 2nd tier of FAs.  Wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t wait to the draft for a WR addition…

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

We haven’t released Foles yet either.

MO, Kelly and Foles can all go, that will give us more than 30MM available..

But it's irrelevant without willingness to spend it. Let's face it, nothing has changed on Ballard approach so far, the positive news IMO is that we got the OC/DC/ST/HC combo right, lets hope we start make players better with time, will help.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Thanks. All the best to Adam, a fan favorite who grew up a Vikes fan and was signed as an undrafted free agent by his favorite team. Whenever he retires, he will sign a one-day deal to retire as a Viking. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

MO, Kelly and Foles can all go, that will give us more than 30MM available..

But it's irrelevant without willingness to spend it. Let's face it, nothing has changed on Ballard approach so far, the positive news IMO is that we got the OC/DC/ST/HC combo right, lets hope we start make players better with time, will help.

“Nothing has changed with Ballard’s approach so far.”   ???

Huh?

Ballard has done more this free agency period than any year except 2017, the throw away year with Pagano.  

That was just last week!

All the moves he made last week are far more than he’s done in any other first week of free agency in 18-22.   Im sorry you apparently missed it. 

Remember, free agency isn’t one week long.   It goes for months.  Tomorrow starts week 2.    There’s tons of time left. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts still have room to make moves. If they release kelly they would have even more.

Read an article recently mentioning the Jets as a possible destination for Kelly.  They  lost their starting center Connor McGovern to the Bills in FA.  They want a veteran center to be Rodgers center when he comes over.  Ben Jones was just released by the Titans for a failed physical so I think he is a possibility there as well.  Both the Cardinals and Jets might just be waiting for Kelly’s release.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

Ballard has done more this free agency period than any year except 2017, the throw away year with Pagano.  

That was just last week!

All the moves he made last week are far more than he’s done in any other first week of free agency in 18-22.   Im sorry you apparently missed it. 

Remember, free agency isn’t one week long.   It goes for months.  Tomorrow starts week 2.    There’s tons of time left. 

His problem has always been on offense. That’s where he usually is cheap and doesn’t make moves.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

His problem has always been on offense. That’s where he usually is cheap and doesn’t make moves.

Cheap on offense?

Nelson: highest paid guard

Smith: top-5 paid RT

Kelly: top-5 paid center

QBs:  all have been very well paid

I don’t think cheap on offense has been the problem. 

I'm a big fan of both guys we cut before free agency, Adam Thielen and Eric Kendricks. I wish them the best. They are both class acts.

After Adam's career is over, I would like to see him have a role with the Vikings. 

His Twitter account still has him as #19 on the Vikings. haha

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Cheap on offense?

Nelson: highest paid guard

Smith: top-5 paid RT

Kelly: top-5 paid center

QBs:  all have been very well paid

I don’t think cheap on offense has been the problem. 

Skill positions he has been cheap. Spots that matter like WR. He has always had a issue helping the QB in FA. Even back to Luck. We had to go get Inman off the streets.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

That was just last week!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Skill positions he has been cheap. Spots that matter like WR. He has always had a issue helping the QB in FA. Even back to Luck. We had to go get Inman off the streets.

He’s been filling the skill positions with guys on rookie contracts.   That’s different than being cheap.   When the Colts pay Pittman and Taylor you won’t be making the same argument. 

As for helping the quarterback, Ballard has drafted Pierce, Woods, Granson, Ogletree.   That’s 4 weapons.  

We still have free agency and the draft.  More help is on the way. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Aaron86 said:

Honestly I think its the HC. I have nothing to back that but I feel like he is running out of time in Baltimore.

Also since Ozzie left it feels like they have been on a slight decline since. 

I totally agree.

Something is not right in Baltimore, not just the Not resigning the Lamar Jackson thing. I think their best days are behind them for awhile. As far as Harbaugh, he gave away 2 games by not kicking the PAT and going for two, among other things. He may not be coaching in Baltimore for long and then he'll be a Hot Signing for a team with a opening. Who knows, maybe his brother will coach the Ravens? haha

I think the Bengals will contend for the division for the foreseeable future with the Steelers improving and the brownies with Watson. Rarely, four teams are good in a division, and the Ravens will be the odd team out.....just a feeling/hunch. Hope I'm wrong cause I like Baltimore and the Ravens. 

Baltimore is not the same since Polock Johnny's closed down on The Block, lol. 

By far the Best Hot Dog joint I've ever been to. :funny:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

He’s been filling the skill positions with guys on rookie contracts.   That’s different than being cheap.   When the Colts pay Pittman and Taylor you won’t be making the same argument. 

He needs to find that 3 WR. Not Dulin either.  Fans and media have been screaming about this since 2018. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

God let's hope he doesn't to both of those. Needs to trade Taylor soon while there is still value.