Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chicago trade with Carolina

Patrick Miller

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

It's not just the trading to #1 pick that Colts lost the chance at. 

They probably lost the chance to get #2 QB and #3 QB (if someone else gets to #3) as well... 

So unless history favors the team sitting tight and getting success with left overs at the QB position in the draft, not sure how to read into History  :lol:

History says "*" whatever you do in the draft at QB :nutz:  so rarely it works out perfectly. 

And, Colts have already had huge luck getting Manning and Luck at the right time, so History says "* especially" probably :censored:

Ummm yeah. It actually does. Josh Allen, Mahomes etc have all come way after pick 1…

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, indykmj said:

The (Briles-esque) system that Heuple runs at UT is remedial. Regardless of the timing of

his recovery from the knee injury, Hooker will have a steep learning curve absorbing the 

intricacies of an NFL offense.

Seems like he has it upstairs. I don't know what it is. I know he is older but he just has a  presence about him that I think will awe Steichen. I think  he is controlling the draft for thr next qb.

21 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

A guy that actually works in the NFL.  Has held many jobs in the NFL.  That guy doesn't understand the importance of a QB?  You spent so much time typing that out.   It's the most important position in the sport.  I think he and the entire organization understand the importance of the position.   They also understand its not the only position 

So because he works in the NFL and has held many jobs in the NFL means that he automatically PRIORITIZES the position, sees it the same and builds the same as other gms. His CHOSEN musical chair approach to the position as plug and play with washed or meh types state otherwise. Even going that route better options were available at the time but Ballard falsely saw his team build that lacked top receivers that are NEEDED for a qb to shine (again by choice) as just needing SOMEONE to fill the position. He also has drafted the stiff Eason and the low ceiling Ehlinger neither of which screamed special or franchise caliber.

When Ballard was first hired he was asked about protecting Luck and his answer was it's not about one man. What?!! That's true to a certain extent but I guarantee Mahomes is a top priority like almost every other STAR qb. Like @2006Coltsbestever said Ballard is on record as saying the qb is just another player. Funny to me Ballard's ONLY playoff win came from the INHERITED Luck who was special.

Rivers came to the Colts on a DECLINE with the narrative attached of being nearly done. Ryan's narrative was the same also. Rivers who unlike Ryan had a nice single season here but his diminished ability to push the ball downfield limited the offense at times. Wentz had been benched prior to coming and his narrative was ALL about his 2017 season which was YEARS ago! Scott Tolzien, Brian Hoyer and Brissett (who at the time was paid decently for two years of mediocre play) are a few more meh names to throw in that qb carousel of OPTIONS. You like that? I dare to say Ballard's HANDLING of the qb position is ONE of IF not the MAIN reason for this team's LACK of overall success. In Ballard's tenure the loaded afc qb hierarchy didn't happen by accident. Most of those gms outside of Burrow and Lawrence moved up and snagged their guy! NOBODY remembers what they gave up either.

Now here we sit waiting for a qb to FALL to us. Getting back to your NFL stance. Do you realize that the also arrogant and smug Grigson was an offensive lineman yet many felt he didn't prioritize the o-line to protect Luck. Whether he couldn't recognize top talent at the position or simply feel short it cost him his job in the long run and that's after a stint with the Colts as a first time gm that garnered an EOY award, division titltes and featured an AFCCG. Of course it was ALL with Luck but that's the POINT! You're not winning in this league at a high level WITHOUT that franchise guy. Meh won't cut it.

Many are in their OWN respective fields and some garner lackluster results. Most of the times it has NOTHING to do with HOW many jobs they've had within that field but what are the END results and HOW did you get there. Many gms have lost their jobs and had better results than Ballard with said teams. Polian was fired here and I don’t need to run down his resume with the team because it's sealed in Canton to go along with what he also accomplished prior to the Colts with the Bills. Tobin was fired here also after just 3 seasons that saw an AFCCG game, a winning record overall and he drafted two HOFs in Faulk and Harrison. I just don’t get all the excuses made for a gm that's going into year SEVEN that has NO division titles, a sub .500 record, NO franchise qb to hang his hat on (YEARS after Luck's departure), NO continued playoff runs or SB contention and oh yeah is on a rebuild after a 4 win season. Some on here act like Ballard is playing CHESS while every other gm is playing checkers. Has he EARNED a year seven? I would say it's a high probability that anywhere else Ballard would've been released by now based on his minimum results year in and out. To ME this tenure feels LONG and constantly unfulfilled.

21 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Guess they could always sign Curtis Painter again. 

Honestly, joking aside, the way Polia. Didn't value QBs is the best system as long as the GM is on board. It ensures no mediocre QB purgatory. 

Tom Moore said it best when he explained why the backup QB gets no practice snaps. 

What did Tom Moore say?

What I remember is Peyton hogged the practice snaps and wouldn't let the back ups getting many.

18 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

What did Tom Moore say?

What I remember is Peyton hogged the practice snaps and wouldn't let the back ups getting many.

"If Peyton Manning goes down, we are f****d, and we don't practice f****d!".

On page 273 of the book titled: "The Games that Changed the Game" by Ron Jaworski

"Jon asked Tom why he wasn't giving some snaps to Peyton's backups. [offensive coordinator Tom] Moore is a man of few words, but when he talks, those words have weight. He looked us both in the eye, paused for a moment, then said in that gravelly voice of his, "Fellas, if '18' goes down, we're #ed. And we don't practice #ed.""

On 3/10/2023 at 11:09 PM, Patrick Miller said:

The thing is no one knows which one of these quarterbacks is going to pan out. Heck none of them might. We could draft a quarterback in the  second round that turns out to be better than all of them that were selected in the first. 

hooker!!!!!

9 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

It's not just the trading to #1 pick that Colts lost the chance at. 

They probably lost the chance to get #2 QB and #3 QB (if someone else gets to #3) as well... 

So unless history favors the team sitting tight and getting success with left overs at the QB position in the draft, not sure how to read into History  :lol:

History says "*" whatever you do in the draft at QB :nutz:  so rarely it works out perfectly. 

And, Colts have already had huge luck getting Manning and Luck at the right time, so History says "* especially" probably :censored:

So they haven’t lost a chance at the third QB yet as they could still trade with the Cardinals or the Cardinals could sit at 3 to get the player they want…

8 hours ago, Down under wonder said:

Apparently Colts were in discussion with the Bears for a trade as well. An agreement was reached on the number of picks we'd give them but they wanted MPJ and Ballard wouldn't include him in a trade.

Panthers offered similar deal in terms of picks but threw in DJ Moore which was the clincher

Where did you see this? Can you link a report? I haven't seen this anywhere online, except a couple of people purely speculating. 

On 3/11/2023 at 12:48 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If it came down to that I would take AR without hesitation.

All the reports I am seeing are saying that the Colts scouts are enamored with Levis. I expect him to be the selection assuming he is still available at #4.

3 minutes ago, philba101 said:

All the reports I am seeing are saying that the Colts scouts are enamored with Levis. I expect him to be the selection assuming he is still available at #4.

I’m just hoping Reich doesn’t take him first.  I can see him using the 1st pick on Levis.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I’m just hoping Reich doesn’t take him first.  I can see him using the 1st pick on Levis.

It does seem like a Reich type of pick. They must know who they want if they moved up to #1 for him. All the reports before the trade were saying that they liked Richardson.

4 minutes ago, philba101 said:

It does seem like a Reich type of pick. They must know who they want if they moved up to #1 for him. All the reports before the trade were saying that they liked Richardson.

Yeah it’s probably between the two of them.  I just think Levis is pro ready to play out of all of them.  

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Yeah it’s probably between the two of them.  I just think Levis is pro ready to play out of all of them.  

Lombardi is saying Stroud and Levi are  in conversation but not Richardson for the top pick. He is saying it is Tepper's pick and Frank's concern would be size as he played in the league but in the end it will come down to who Tepper wants and it is 60-40 on them picking  Young.  Lombardi says his instincts and play making are off the charts but it is his size that is the only concern.   I don't see the Texans picking Richardson at all because of Ryan's defensive back ground and Casersio's preference.  They will want the polished product and Caserio has to show something this year and Richardson is most likely a project.  I  think if the Colts want Richardson, they can get him but may have to move up to 3 or perhaps he can be taken at 4 as he is such a risk.  Lombardi says Zona would move as there is no Bosa or Young in this draft.  Texans are in the Garrapolo market as most likely are the Raiders but it doesn't necessarily mean they don't pick a guy if they sign him. Will keep you posted as Lombardi is really keyed into the NFL and hears a lot more than the Schefner's of the world.  

On 3/12/2023 at 12:57 PM, Tsarquise said:

"If Peyton Manning goes down, we are f****d, and we don't practice f****d!".

On page 273 of the book titled: "The Games that Changed the Game" by Ron Jaworski

"Jon asked Tom why he wasn't giving some snaps to Peyton's backups. [offensive coordinator Tom] Moore is a man of few words, but when he talks, those words have weight. He looked us both in the eye, paused for a moment, then said in that gravelly voice of his, "Fellas, if '18' goes down, we're #ed. And we don't practice #ed.""

I met the great Tom Moore after a game once and we got to hang with him for a bit (along with Bill Simpson who was a good fried of his who we sat by and became friends with) and he was visibly tired as the game took quite a toll on him. But I'm with my two friends that are 6'4 280 and I'm 6'1 200 and he looks at Bill and says "What do you feed these guys, hay?" :lol:

He was a great guy to hang with, and you're right he didn't say a whole lot but when he did it was awesome. I'll never forget it. 

1 minute ago, lollygagger8 said:

I met the great Tom Moore after a game once and we got to hang with him for a bit (along with Bill Simpson who was a good fried of his who we sat by and became friends with) and he was visibly tired as the game took quite a toll on him. But I'm with my two friends that are 6'4 280 and I'm 6'1 200 and he looks at Bill and says "What do you feed these guys, hay?" :lol:

He was a great guy to hang with, and you're right he didn't say a whole lot but when he did it was awesome. I'll never forget it. 

I travelled in for the Jets playoff game (PM’s last game as a Colt).  Coach Moore was pacing around on the field before the game…smoking a cigarette.

If the Panthers waited till free agency, they may not have given up even that much to the Bears. Raiders and Falcons bowed out, so it is just 3 teams - Panthers, Texans and Colts that truly need rookie QBs, IMO.

I told this before, the Bears wanted to get it done before free agency, before other teams could sign FA QBs, so that they can get more.

Archived