Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 MLB Baseball

7 hours ago, Myles said:

I would have the 1964 St. Louis Cardinals in there.  Bob Gibson led the pitching staff.

Tim McCarver

Lou Brock

Ken Boyer

Curt Flood

Mike Shannon

They even had Bob Uecker as a backup catcher.  

The 1964 Cardinals are best remembered for beating the mighty Yankees in the World Series and ending their 44-year domination.

New York had played in 14 of the last 16 World Series and were (99-63)—the No. 1 seed. 

The Cardinals (93-69) were seeded No. 4.

The electrifying Bob Gibson was 3-0 and pitched a complete Game 7 to conquer the Dynasty. 

The Yankees, meanwhile, wouldn’t perform in another World Series until 1976.

Good call, when I was watching the MLB channel, the analysts brought up great teams that were top 5 omissions, the 1964 Cards was one of them. They also talked about the 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers, 1973 A's, and the 1984 Tigers. That A's core actually 3peated and had 3 20 game winners in 73.

• Like 1

Cubs win their 2nd game in a row at Milwaukee by 1 run. This division is comical. 

The NL Central standings going into July 6th:

1. Reds 48-39

2. Brewers 46-41 (2 back)

3. Cubs 40-45 (7 back)

4. Pirates 40-46 (7.5 back)

5. Cards 35-51 (12.5 back) = Ouch!

We are back in 3rd place but 7 back of the Reds. Why doesn't Joe Buck and the silly media push for the Cards to blow it up? They did with the Cubs in 2021 and that Cubs team wasn't near as bad as the Cards are this season. Here is Joe Buck = :peek:

Chicago Cubs GIF by Marquee Sports Network

World Series Smile GIF by MLB- 2 best franchises in MLB history haven't won jack over the last 10 years. Yankees last won a World Series in 2009, Cards last won a World Series in 2011. That is why fans should appreciate the history of the game because sometimes memories are all you will have. At least the Cubs won a World Series in 2016 which is pretty recent. Recent = last 10 years. This generation = 20 years ago to now (Colts 2006/Feb of 2007- happened 16 years ago). Outside of 20 years ago, many seem to ignore history. I don't, but many do.

Athletes today are no better than 10 or even 20 years ago for that matter. Pitchers today can rarely even go 9 Innings and they don't throw any harder than they did 20 years ago. Chapman once threw 105 MPH chuckling homer simpson GIF. Football -Offensive Lineman weight on average is pretty much the same today as it was 20 years ago (no outliers). Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are on a different planet, they came out over 20 years ago and dominated well into the 2010's. Basketball wise, you have had players like Shaq, Kobe, and Duncan dominating, nobody today is better than those 3 over the last 20 years. LeBron also came into the league in 2004 as well. 

Here are a couple of questions for you baseball fans @NFLfan, @w87r, @LJpalmbeacher2, @Myles, @HOZER

1. What year did you become a fan of your team?

2. What are the top 5 teams you have witnessed during your fandom. It is witnessed so the 1927 Yankees would not be on your list for example unless you 100 years old or older.

Mine: Cubs fan since 1984,

Top 5 best teams I have witnessed.

5. 1989 Cubs - *Won NL Central at 93-69, lost in NLCS. Sandberg, Grace, Dawson, and Maddux were all on that team and were great.

4. 2003 Cubs - *Won NL Central at 88-74, lost in NLCS in 7 hard fought games vs the Marlins. Was up 3-1 in that series! Marlins went on to win the World Series. The Steve Bartman season.

3. 2015 Cubs - 97-65, lost in NLCS, beat the NL Central Champs Cards in NLDS as a WildCard team to get to the NLCS.

2. 1984 Cubs - *Won NL Central at 96-65, lost in NLCS. We were loaded that season and just gave away the NLCS with blunders. Sandberg won League MVP that season. Sutcliffe was almost un-hittable all season. That was a fun team to watch. 

1. 2016 Cubs - *Won NL Central at 103-58, won NL Pennant, won the World Series. Voted by the MLB media as a top 5 team of all-time in history. Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Zobrist, Jake, Lester, Hendricks, Chap - what can I say

The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

• Like 1

Cardinals literally "threw" the game away last night. They're just a huge mess. Curious to see if Mozeliak cans Marmol over the ASB or if things stay the same. They need serious changes and I don't trust the current front office to handle anything. This season is a mess because of their arrogance and negligence.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, landrus13 said:

Cardinals literally "threw" the game away last night. They're just a huge mess. Curious to see if Mozeliak cans Marmol over the ASB or if things stay the same. They need serious changes and I don't trust the current front office to handle anything. This season is a mess because of their arrogance and negligence.   

I am obviously a Cubs fan and I picked the Cards to win the Division before the season. They have been shockingly bad. I had the Cubs at .500. Not sure why the Cards are bad? Cubs pretty much are rebuilding so I understand that. 

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am obviously a Cubs fan and I picked the Cards to win the Division before the season. They have been shockingly bad. I had the Cubs at .500. Not sure why the Cards are bad? Cubs pretty much are rebuilding so I understand that. 

Front office ignored the obvious need for starting pitching which has been a major issue the last few seasons. The bullpen wasn't addressed either. They lost Yadi and Pujols. Added Contreras who has had issues this season and hasn't been as good at the plate as expected. They didn't replace the void Pujols left behind, he was a big part of the offense in the second half of last year. Their defense has gotten much worse this year. The offense has been pretty good mostly but the defense and pitching has really held them back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, landrus13 said:

Front office ignored the obvious need for starting pitching which has been a major issue the last few seasons. The bullpen wasn't addressed either. They lost Yadi and Pujols. Added Contreras who has had issues this season and hasn't been as good at the plate as expected. They didn't replace the void Pujols left behind, he was a big part of the offense in the second half of last year. Their defense has gotten much worse this year. The offense has been pretty good mostly but the defense and pitching has really held them back. 

I put 90% of the blame on Marmol.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here are a couple of questions for you baseball fans @NFLfan, @w87r, @LJpalmbeacher2, @Myles, @HOZER

2. What are the top 5 teams you have witnessed during your fandom. It is witnessed so the 1927 Yankees would not be on your list for example unless you 100 years old or older.

5. 1989 Cubs - *Won NL Central at 93-69, lost in NLCS. Sandberg, Grace, Dawson, and Maddux were all on that team and were great.

4. 2003 Cubs - *Won NL Central at 88-74, lost in NLCS in 7 hard fought games vs the Marlins. Was up 3-1 in that series! Marlins went on to win the World Series. The Steve Bartman season.

3. 2015 Cubs - 97-65, lost in NLCS, beat the NL Central Champs Cards in NLDS as a WildCard team to get to the NLCS.

2. 1984 Cubs - *Won NL Central at 96-65, lost in NLCS. We were loaded that season and just gave away the NLCS with blunders. Sandberg won League MVP that season. Sutcliffe was almost un-hittable all season. That was a fun team to watch. 

1. 2016 Cubs - *Won NL Central at 103-58, won NL Pennant, won the World Series. Voted by the MLB media as a top 5 team of all-time in history. Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Zobrist, Jake, Lester, Hendricks, Chap - what can I say

I was a kid growing up in the St. louis area.   

First season I remember well was the 1982 Cardinals team.   They won the World series and played small ball.  They stole 200 bases that year.  Keith Hernandez, Ozzie Smith, Willie McGee, Lonnie Smith, Darryl Porter, Jauquin Andujar, Bruce Sutter and others..

Next was 1985.   The lost in the world series but it was close.   They stole 314 bases that year,   In addition to others named, They had Terry Pendalton, Andy Van Slyke, Vince Coleman and others.   Great team. 

I'll go with 2011 next.  The world series run and win was awesome.   David Freeze was the MVP, but there was also Pujols, Lance Berkman, Molina, Holliday and Chris Carpenter.   I have the World series on DVD.   Maybe I will pull it out.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Myles said:

First season I remember well was the 1982 Cardinals team.   They won the World series and played small ball.  They stole 200 bases that year.  Keith Hernandez, Ozzie Smith, Willie McGee, Lonnie Smith, Darryl Porter, Jauquin Andujar, Bruce Sutter and others..

Next was 1985.   The lost in the world series but it was close.   They stole 314 bases that year,   In addition to others named, They had Terry Pendalton, Andy Van Slyke, Vince Coleman and others.   Great team. 

I'll go with 2011 next.  The world series run and win was awesome.   David Freeze was the MVP, but there was also Pujols, Lance Berkman, Molina, Holliday and Chris Carpenter.   I have the World series on DVD.   Maybe I will pull it out.  

Your 1985 team got screwed in the World Series and this coming from a Cubs fan. Umps did you in, in Game 6.  2011 was your best team IMO. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Myles said:

You should pull out that DVD and watch and enjoy. I have the 2016 Cubs World Series DVD as well. I watch it at times and have a drink, it is relaxing and gets my mind off things. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Yep, third had some and cost us dansby and 4th cost stroman

Yeah those UMPS stunk the whole series. Cubs did beat the Yankees tonight. We just barely keep hanging around for a possible playoff spot. We are 7 games back of the Reds and in 3rd place regarding the NL Central. If we can get that down to 3 or 4 games heading into August, we have a punchers chance at winning the Division. 

On 7/6/2023 at 1:47 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Been a Fan of Yankees since I was a little boy. My eldest brother was a fan of Mickey Mantle so I guess I followed suit.

I guess the Best teams I witnessed were my Yankees that won the world series 4 out of 5 years and just missed 5 in a row..

Outside of the Jeter led Yankees I think the best teams were The Big Red Machine, Charlie Finleys A's but don't really remember too much about them except they were really good. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2023 at 1:47 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yankees 1985

That 1989 Cubs team was a fun team. Throw in Shawon Dunston(remember the shawn-o-meter? Think that was what it was called), Rick Sutcliffe, Joe Giraldi, Wild thing(Mitch Williams), Dwight Smith, Jerome Walton 

Best Yankees teams:

1. 1998 Champs 

2. 2009 Champs 

3. 2019(lost to the cheating Astros in ALCS)

4. 1999 Champs

5. 2000(subway series was cool) Champs

6. 1996 Champs

• Like 2

14 hours ago, w87r said:

Yankees 1985

That 1989 Cubs team was a fun team. Throw in Shawon Dunston(remember the shawn-o-meter? Think that was what it was called), Rick Sutcliffe, Joe Giraldi, Wild thing(Mitch Williams), Dwight Smith, Jerome Walton 

Best Yankees teams:

1. 1998 Champs 

2. 2009 Champs 

4. 1999 Champs

6. 1996 Champs

Great list, can't believe the Cubs just beat the Yankees 2 of 3 in NY. Cubs are pretty much average this season which I have accepted. They have been fun to watch at times this season with some newer players. We are just 42-47 at the all-star break but only 7 games out in the NL Central behind the surprising Reds. Season is still salvageable but barely. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cubs are still hanging on by a thread at 44-50 in 3rd place, 7.5 games back of the Brewers in the NL Central. Cubs got a much needed win last night over the Nats but the inconsistent play still has continued with the Cubs. 

One thing I would have never thought before the season is, the Cubs having the same record as the Padres and Mets through 94 games (44-50). Padres and Mets were expected to do huge things before the season. Regarding the Cards they have now won 4 in a row, they might be waking up a little? They are still only 42-53 but now in 4th place. 

What is wrong with the Yankees? They are playing terrible right now. @Jared Cisneros, Braves are the best team in baseball right now Simon Cowell Wow GIF by America's Got Talent

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Woo hoo, while still a bad team, they are not in last place anymore.  Hopefully they can stay out of last place and extend their streak of 105 years since they last finished worst in their division.

We all knew the Pirates would finish last, they usually do chuckling homer simpson GIF but it would not surprise me if the Cards even finished ahead of the Cubs. Cards have always been a team that gets hot in late July and August. Remember I had the Cards winning the NL Central before the season started. Cubs are about where I had them projected, I had them at 81-81 = .500 team before the season but even posted they could finish as bad 76-86 or with a ton of breaks and surprises could go 86-76. I just chose the middle. I had the Jays vs Padres in the WS before the season started, Padres have been the most disappointing team in baseball. My Jays still could make a run in the AL. Braves at 61-32 look unbeatable. Acuna is running away with the NL MVP.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We all knew the Pirates would finish last, they usually do chuckling homer simpson GIF but it would not surprise me if the Cards even finished ahead of the Cubs. Cards have always been a team that gets hot in late July and August. Remember I had the Cards winning the NL Central before the season started. 

I think whichever team wins this weekends series will finish in front of the other team.  Of course, since it is a 4 game series, they could split.  The Cardinals are 2.5 games behind the Cubs.  

• Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 9:47 AM, w87r said:

Yankees 1985

Best Yankees teams:

1. 1998 Champs 

2. 2009 Champs 

4. 1999 Champs

6. 1996 Champs

At least to me, most recent history wise, the 1998 Yankees are the greatest team I have ever seen. Not sure how one would define recent history though. I go back to the late 70's as being able to remember most teams, games, and players. It is strange in a way for many people as in when asked, what they first remember in life regarding things? Baseball wise, first thing I remember is when the Pirates won the WS in 1979, I do remember watching that series. Football wise it was when the Cowboys beat the Broncos = the 1977 season/1978 game but vague. Basketball, I vaguely remember the 1977 NBA Finals between the Blazers and Sixers. 1977, players like Kareem, Dr J, and Walton were king of the hill.

I was lucky enough to see one of the greatest SB's ever played between the Cowboys vs the Steelers on TV that I fully remember in the 1978 season/79 game. That game alone made me fall in love with football. Those teams were loaded.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think they split. They usually do no matter who is bad or good.

I see where the Cards/Cubs play 8 games in the next 11 days.  Splitting the 2 4 game series the Cubs have a day off and 2 games against the White Sox (16 games under .500) and the Cardinals have a 3 game series vs Arizona (11 games over .500).  I'll give the Cubs the edge with that in mind.   That'ss be the last time they play each other this season.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Myles said:

Cards getting their butts kicked today.

I seen the highlights. Cubs had to hang on to win 4-3. I predicted a split, so far it is par for the course. Cubs are at 46-51 still hanging around in the possible playoff talk. I don't think they will be a playoff team but you never know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Reds were falling off a cliff for a spell there but now they’ve won 4 in a row and are waking back up a bit. Still can’t seem to figure out those stinkin Brewers… 

Brewers are a bunch of pests lol. Cubs beat the Cards again today 8-6. Cubs are still 7.5 games out of 1st place in the NL Central behind the Brewers. Reds look good right now in 2nd place.

• Like 1

All Right! Cubs win and take 3 of 4 from the Cards. Brewers lost today so it has been a great day. We gained a game on them. NL Central Standings as of July 23rd look like this:

1. Brewers 55-45

2. Reds 55-46 (.5 out)

3. Cubs 48-51 (6.5 out)

4. Cards 44-56 (11 out) - 44% winnings

5. Pirates 43-55 (11 out) -43.9% winnings, in the cellar by .01.

Cubs are only 6.5 games out with 61 games to go. This is doable. 

Chicago Cubs GIF by Marquee Sports Network

I can hear Joe Buck now since the Cubs are reasonably good again for the moment. Joe - The Cubs should sell, get rid of Bellinger who is the hottest player in Baseball, trade him to the Cards chuckling homer simpson GIF.

Sorry media people, that crap isn't happening again where we just get rid of our main core like we did in 2021 with players that won the WS in 2016. Sorry about your luck Cubs haters! Bellinger, Swanson, Nick H, Steele, Stroman and Hendricks the old Dog aren't going anywhere. Clint Eastwood Beard GIF by GritTV- Hey Buck, do you have a light for the rivalry? lmao