Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 MLB Baseball

Finally went to my first MLB game this season. Marked off 17th stadium in the form of Truist Park for Braves vs Phillies. Cool park and nice. Area isn't great to get to and overly crowded area. Also traffic and all is the worst I've seen. 6-4 Phillies win with Kimbrel getting save 400 vs his old team. 

Also proposed to my GF on this, so now an engaged man. Wasn't at the game though, was the following day 

Planning to hit 18th stadium in September vs Baltimore in Houston. Also planning to go to Colts Texans that weekend 

• Like 3

So far the Cubs have been dull and have been playing bad lately but I still love the franchise (always will), been a fan since 1984. It is tough to watch and keep a close eye on them when they aren't winning though. They are in a weak division so anything is possible I guess. Tearing the team apart in mid 2021 has done us no good at all and really made no sense. The Cubs could have easily tweaked their roster and at least kept Bryant and Baez, just do a semi-rebuild. Bryant and Baez are players you build around because they are still young. Oh well water under the bridge now. I will always have my 2016 World Series Championship as a fan. Cubs broke the 108 year jinx and gave their fans 6 years of good-great baseball from 2015-2020. At least with the WS Championship we can't be called chokers or losers anymore. Yankees haven't won a WS Championship since 2009, Cards haven't won one since 2011 and they are the 2 best franchises in baseball history. Crap happens.

Cardinals started horrible.   They are now 4.5 games out and coming off a much deserved 2 days off.   Starting with the Pirates tonight.  They need to get withing 2-3 of the Brew Crew by the All Star break.  It's possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Cubs in 4th now 6.5 games back.

The Cardinals cannot get it going this year, there is some time but it doesn't look good.  They haven't finished last in their division since 1918 (105 years).  That is impressive, but little consolation.  

12 minutes ago, Myles said:

Cubs in 4th now 6.5 games back.

The Cardinals cannot get it going this year, there is some time but it doesn't look good.  They haven't finished last in their division since 1918 (105 years).  That is impressive, but little consolation.  

Cards and Cubs both can't seem to get rolling. Both have put together win streaks of 4 or 5 games a couple times but then they both lose 4 or 5 in row. Those teams are stuck in mud. I am not a firm believer in the Pirates so IMO it is the Brewers division to lose. The Reds have a good new young hitter in Elly De La Cruz, he looks like he might be really good.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cards and Cubs both can't seem to get rolling. Both have put together win streaks of 4 or 5 games a couple times but then they both lose 4 or 5 in row. Those teams are stuck in mud. I am not a firm believer in the Pirates so IMO it is the Brewers division to lose. The Reds have a good new young hitter in Elly De La Cruz, he looks like he might be really good.

I hope the Cubs and Cards at least battle for 4th place instead of last.  Cubs are up on the Cards by 2 games right now.  

• Like 1

Don't look now but the Cubs are only 4.5 games out of 1st place in the NL Central at 30-37. They are doing everyone else a favor by beating the Pirates. Lets see if the Cubs can get a 3 game sweep against the Pirates tonight. Stroman is pitching tonight. Pirates are in 1st place at 34-32. This whole division is up for grabs. Brewers have lost 6 in a row which really helps, they are at .500 = 34-34.

Cubs sweep Pirates. This is the 1st time all season where I am starting to get excited. We are now mid-way through June and only 3.5 games out of 1st place with the win tonight. The team has a long way to go at 31-37 but the NL Central is wide open. Pirates still in 1st but only 34-33.

Chicago Cubs GIF by Marquee Sports Networkchicago cubs GIF by Sports Illustrated

My overall mid June analysis:

Rays are the best team in the league at 50-22, they are controlling the AL East. Braves are the best team in the National League at 43-26 and controlling the NL East. Most disappointing teams so far have been the Padres at 33-35 in the NL West, I thought they would be pretty dominant and how bad the Cards are at 27-42 in really our weak division in the NL Central. Long way to go though, 162 games is a long haul. 

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As of June 17th, the NL Central standings look like this:

1. Brewers 36-34

2. Reds 36-35 (.5)

3. Pirates 34-35 (1.5)

4. Cubs 33-37 (3)

5. Cards 28-43 (8.5)

Cubs have now won 5 in a row, only 3 games out of 1st place at 33-37. Let's keep this going,

Chicago Cubs GIF by Marquee Sports Network

Cubs lost today and are in 4th place but only 4 games out of first.  

1. Brewers 36-34

2. Reds 36-35 (.5)

3. Pirates 34-35 (2.5)

4. Cubs 33-37 (4)

5. Cards 28-43 (8.5)

If the Cards don't start winning 3 out of 4 games, they will be eliminated soon.   The have the offense to do it but not the pitching.

Cubs spank the Pirates tonight 8-0. Chicago Cubs GIF by Marquee Sports Network

NL Central standings as of June 19th are:

1. Reds 38-35

2. Brewers 37-35 (.5)

3. Pirates 34-37 (3)

4. Cubs 34-38 (3.5)

5. Cards 30-43 (8)

-Reds are now in 1st place. Cubs are only 3.5 games out of 1st place and just (.5) behind the Pirates for 3rd place. Cubs have now won 6 of 7, playing really good baseball. Cubs are the only team in the division with a + point differential wise, they lost several 1 run games earlier in the season which put them in a hole but the Cubs are digging their way out slowly. The Cubs did win their last 1 run game over the Orioles 3-2 on Saturday. 

Chicago Cubs GIF by Marquee Sports Network- Cubs blank the Pirates again 4-0. Finally we move up a spot in the division, now in 3rd place in the NL Central at 35-38. We are playing damn good baseball but the Reds are scorching hot. Reds have won 10 in a row and are now 39-35. With all that said we are only 3.5 games behind them for 1st place. They will cool off eventually. After the way we played in April and May, I will take being where we are now. Stroman has been unbeatable lately. 

On 6/18/2023 at 9:24 PM, Myles said:

If the Cards don't start winning 3 out of 4 games, they will be eliminated soon.   The have the offense to do it but not the pitching.

Well they have won their last 4 games.  If they split their next 4 they will be on the 3/4 pace I believe they need.   The Reds are tearing it up though.

1 minute ago, Myles said:

Well they have won their last 4 games.  If they split their next 4 they will be on the 3/4 pace I believe they need.   The Reds are tearing it up though.

Reds will cool down, they have a nice team this year, I would even say good. They have won 10 in a row so they are due to drop a few. Regarding the Cubs, it looked bad before June, now there is at least promise. My before season pick, I had the Cubs going 81-81 and missing the playoffs so my expectation wasn't that high anyway. June has been fun watching the team grow and improve. There is nothing else going on in sports so when the Cubs play good I get excited. 

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Reds will cool down, they have a nice team this year, I would even say good. They have won 10 in a row so they are due to drop a few. Regarding the Cubs, it looked bad before June, now there is at least promise. My before season pick, I had the Cubs going 81-81 and missing the playoffs so my expectation wasn't that high anyway. June has been fun watching the team grow and improve. There is nothing else going on in sports so when the Cubs play good I get excited. 

Haven't been following baseball too much this season, but funny thing about the Reds is, Ken Griffey Jr is like the 4th highest paid player on their pay roll this year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, w87r said:

Haven't been following baseball too much this season, but funny thing about the Reds is, Ken Griffey Jr is like the 4th highest paid player on their pay roll this year.

I have been a Cubs fan since the 1984 season, same year as I became a Colts fan oddly enough. Colts moved here in 1984 is why. Cubs were fun to watch in 1984 and were great with players like Sandberg, Durham, Sarge, etc. but the broadcast on WGN with Harry Caray sealed my fandom that season. Of course Indiana/Indianapolis didn't have a baseball team back then and still don't so around here it was either you were Reds or Cubs fan. 2 closest teams to Indianapolis. 

Being a Cubs fan has been rough over the years, we have been bad more than good. 1984 sucked me in after we won the Division but after that it was a struggle for many years. Winning the World Series in 2016 was close to being the best thing that has ever happened in my life as a fan of sport. I waited 32 years for that! Colts winning in 2006 was better but not by much (beating Tom Brady and BB in the AFC Title Game was priceless). The 2 were pretty even in reality. Pacers beating the Knicks in 2000 (4-2 ending it at NY) to win the Conference ranks right behind those 2. 

Baseball is tough to follow for most because if your team is out of it by August, it becomes boring for most. I have no idea where the 2023 Cubs will end up. Lately the Cubs have been playing great but still below .500 at 35-38. Only time will tell.

13 hours ago, w87r said:

I always love facts like that 

22 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Chicago Cubs GIF by Marquee Sports Network- Cubs blank the Pirates again 4-0. Finally we move up a spot in the division, now in 3rd place in the NL Central at 35-38. We are playing damn good baseball but the Reds are scorching hot. Reds have won 10 in a row and are now 39-35. With all that said we are only 3.5 games behind them for 1st place. They will cool off eventually. After the way we played in April and May, I will take being where we are now. Stroman has been unbeatable lately. 

And another one, not a shutout but still a nice win

Cubs have I think 5th highest run differential in NL

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I always love facts like that 

And another one, not a shutout but still a nice win

Cubs have I think 5th highest run differential in NL

Yep, we are now 36-38. Luckily we are winning a lot of games because the Reds won again for their 11th straight. Only 3.5 behind them in the NL Central. I am fine with that for now. The Pirates is what the doctor ordered. We took all 6 games from them.

On 6/23/2023 at 12:39 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We have 2 gigantic games coming up in St Louis. If we can get both that gets us to 38-38 at .500 and at that point the team will be flying with confidence. Will the Reds ever lose though lmao . I am happy for Reds fans, they are a likable team.

I do stand corrected, the 2 games against the Cards are in London. I watched a little today. We are flat out rolling. Beat the Cards 9-1 today. Reds finally lost today so we are now only 3 games out of 1st place in the NL Central. Despite the Reds winning 12 in a row, we only lost 1 game in the standings this whole time. We are 11-2 over the 13 games, Reds now 12-1. 

Here are the NL Central standings as of June 25th:

1. Reds 41-36

2. Brewers 39-37 (1.5)

3. Cubs 37-38 (3)

4. Pirates 35-41 (5.5)

5. Cards 31-45 (9.5)

A win tomorrow will get us back to .500. Stroman is going against the Cards. We haven't been .500 or better since May 12th. Chicago Cubs GIF by Marquee Sports Network

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I do stand corrected, the 2 games against the Cards are in London. I watched a little today. We are flat out rolling. Beat the Cards 9-1 today. Reds finally lost today so we are now only 3 games out of 1st place in the NL Central. Despite the Reds winning 12 in a row, we only lost 1 game in the standings this whole time. We are 11-2 over the 13 games, Reds now 12-1. 

Here are the NL Central standings as of June 25th:

1. Reds 41-36

2. Brewers 39-37 (1.5)

3. Cubs 37-38 (3)

4. Pirates 35-41 (5.5)

5. Cards 31-45 (9.5)

A win tomorrow will get us back to .500. Stroman is going against the Cards. We haven't been .500 or better since May 12th. Chicago Cubs GIF by Marquee Sports Network

And it doesn't look like we'll be today either. Mancini cannot be allowed to play the field again, he's looked atrocious out there.

And stro just got removed with a hand injury, on a hit that the Cardinals took a lead on

7 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

And it doesn't look like we'll be today either. Mancini cannot be allowed to play the field again, he's looked atrocious out there.

And stro just got removed with a hand injury, on a hit that the Cardinals took a lead on

Yeah we blew a 4-0 lead, this game was ours to lose. Sometimes 1 or 2 plays can turn a whole a game around. It did today. Credit to the Cards for capitalizing on our mistakes. I figured today's game would be tough to win because of the rivalry we have with them. Usually when those 2 play, each team wins at least 1 game. Good thing is the Reds lost again so we are still only 3 games back in the NL Central.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 6:27 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah we blew a 4-0 lead, this game was ours to lose. Sometimes 1 or 2 plays can turn a whole a game around. It did today. Credit to the Cards for capitalizing on our mistakes. I figured today's game would be tough to win because of the rivalry we have with them. Usually when those 2 play, each team wins at least 1 game. Good thing is the Reds lost again so we are still only 3 games back in the NL Central.

Mancini needs a lot of practice before playing 1st again.  Let Amaya play 1st some vs righties 

23 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Please hold on

They did. I left just before the bottom of the seventh. The Mets were leading 7-0 at the time. They won 7-2. The Mets starter threw about 30 pitches in the first and still managed to go 6 innings. I thought he would be out by the 3rd, given how poorly he pitched in the first. He gave up no runs in this start. I was pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 2

On 5/28/2023 at 12:11 AM, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Finally went to my first MLB game this season. Marked off 17th stadium in the form of Truist Park for Braves vs Phillies. Cool park and nice. Area isn't great to get to and overly crowded area. Also traffic and all is the worst I've seen. 6-4 Phillies win with Kimbrel getting save 400 vs his old team. 

Also proposed to my GF on this, so now an engaged man. Wasn't at the game though, was the following day 

Planning to hit 18th stadium in September vs Baltimore in Houston. Also planning to go to Colts Texans that weekend 

Congratulations on your engagement!

I think it is great that you are visiting all these ballparks. Which do you like best so far?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Congratulations on your engagement!

I think it is great that you are visiting all these ballparks. Which do you like best so far?

Thank you!

And loved wrigley of course, but certainly enjoyed Toronto and Boston a lot, Colorado was cool with mountains in back. I'll do a recap after the season (regular) to rank them

3 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Thank you!

And loved wrigley of course, but certainly enjoyed Toronto and Boston a lot, Colorado was cool with mountains in back. I'll do a recap after the season (regular) to rank them

Great. I will look forward to that.

The one in Colorado sounds great, with the mountains behind it. I love mountains and bodies of water. I think I would like the one in San Francisco with the water in the back. I have been past Wrigley and Fenway but never watched a game at either. My nephew is in his senior year of college in Boston. I should take him to a game at Fenway.

I would like to see Camden Yards too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Great. I will look forward to that.

The one in Colorado sounds great, with the mountains behind it. I love mountains and bodies of water. I think I would like the one in San Francisco with the water in the back. I have been past Wrigley and Fenway but never watched a game at either. My nephew is in his senior year of college in Boston. I should take him to a game at Fenway.

I would like to see Camden Yards too.

Ya im looking forward to going to SF, but don't know when. I plan to go to Houston this September for Astros and Texans games so can knock off those two 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Ya im looking forward to going to SF, but don't know when. I plan to go to Houston this September for Astros and Texans games so can knock off those two 

Great. Maybe I will see a Yankees game this year. I have not gone to the new stadium (which is not "new" anymore). The previous Yankee Stadium was majestic. I don't know why they needed to get a new one.

I see that the Yankees had a perfect game today. @w87r 

https://sports.yahoo.com/yankees-domingo-german-throws-24th-perfect-game-in-mlb-history-041129762.html

Domingo Germán allowed 15 earned runs in his previous two starts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Domingo threw a perfect game a few nights ago for the Yankees, only the 24th perfect game in MLB history. We are talking over 100 years of baseball. Throwing a perfect game is about the hardest thing you can do in sports. I thought I would mention that.

Cubs ended their 4 game losing streak by trouncing Cleveland 10-1. Hopefully we get rolling again. Every team in that division seems bi-polar. The teams win 4 or 5 win a row, then lose 4 or 5 in a row. I have never seen anything like it, the Pirates are now good againchuckling homer simpson GIF

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Domingo threw a perfect game a few nights ago for the Yankees, only the 24th perfect game in MLB history. We are talking over 100 years of baseball. Throwing a perfect game is about the hardest thing you can do in sports. I thought I would mention that.

Cubs ended their 4 game losing streak by trouncing Cleveland 10-1. Hopefully we get rolling again. Every team in that division seems bi-polar. The teams win 4 or 5 win a row, then lose 4 or 5 in a row. I have never seen anything like it, the Pirates are now good againchuckling homer simpson GIF

I see that the Rangers traded for your guy Chapman.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I see that the Rangers traded for your guy Chapman.

Rangers mean business. They are in 1st in their division and needed a great closer. Chap isn't what he used to be but he still better than a lot of relievers. When he played for us he was the best reliever in the league = 2016.

So proud and happy for Domingo German and catcher Higgy for the Perfect Game. 

I really started paying attention after the 5th inning. I've always liked German and so happy he made history. 

I have to admit I was nervous in the 8th & 9th, very, very nervous in the 9th. 3B Donaldson ate¿ that smasher Ruiz hit for the 27th out to preserve the Historic game.

I always root for pitchers to get the no-no, its really a special thing for them and I like to see it. 

So you know I was especially ecstatic to see one of our very own to not only get the no hitter but a Perfect Game! Only 24 of them in history, and I was fortunate enough to catch it live from my favorite team. F

A Special Treat and moment for me as a life long Yankee Fan.  

• Like 1

Cubs are an average team and I just have to face it for now. They were fun to watch for a couple of weeks in June but they can't sustain any kind of winning. Way too inconsistent. I hope the Reds win the division if we are out of it by August. I hate the Brewers and their fans are arrogant. Cards are just a big rival, I don't like them but respect them. Pirates just stink so I know they have no chance at winning the division. 

Cubs lack a true big time power HR hitter, and a great reliever to compete with the big boys. They have lost so many 1 run games this year because their BullPen stinks. Sad really. 

Here is the up to date greatest ever teams list per MLB post Intergration (1947-2022). As of July 3rd, 2023.

1. 1998 NY Yankees

2. 1961 NY Yankees

3. 1975 Cincinnati Reds

4. 1986 NY Mets

5. 2016 Chicago Cubs

Per MLB - these were the top 5 teams of all-time since 1947 and voted as toughest to beat in any 1 year. Cubs 2016 team made the Top 5 so that is huge praise The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- I pretty much agree with that list. The 2 Yankees teams deserve to be #1 and #2. That is really tough to debate. 

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs are an average team and I just have to face it for now. They were fun to watch for a couple of weeks in June but they can't sustain any kind of winning. Way too inconsistent. I hope the Reds win the division if we are out of it by August. I hate the Brewers and their fans are arrogant. Cards are just a big rival, I don't like them but respect them. Pirates just stink so I know they have no chance at winning the division. 

Cubs lack a true big time power HR hitter, and a great reliever to compete with the big boys. They have lost so many 1 run games this year because their BullPen stinks. Sad really. 

Here is the up to date greatest ever teams list per MLB post Intergration (1947-2022). As of July 3rd, 2023.

1. 1998 NY Yankees

2. 1961 NY Yankees

3. 1975 Cincinnati Reds

4. 1986 NY Mets

5. 2016 Chicago Cubs

Per MLB - these were the top 5 teams of all-time since 1947 and voted as toughest to beat in any 1 year. Cubs 2016 team made the Top 5 so that is huge praise The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- I pretty much agree with that list. The 2 Yankees teams deserve to be #1 and #2. That is really tough to debate. 

I would have the 1964 St. Louis Cardinals in there.  Bob Gibson led the pitching staff.

Tim McCarver

Lou Brock

Ken Boyer

Curt Flood

Mike Shannon

They even had Bob Uecker as a backup catcher.  

The 1964 Cardinals are best remembered for beating the mighty Yankees in the World Series and ending their 44-year domination.

New York had played in 14 of the last 16 World Series and were (99-63)—the No. 1 seed. 

The Cardinals (93-69) were seeded No. 4.

The electrifying Bob Gibson was 3-0 and pitched a complete Game 7 to conquer the Dynasty. 

The Yankees, meanwhile, wouldn’t perform in another World Series until 1976.

• Like 1