Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 MLB Baseball

29 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

And if you're a Reds fan, it's usually "never get too high on the team and winning streaks because August hasn't happened yet..."

The rookies all remembered they are rookies I guess. 

You guys are still in better shape than most teams. What is comical is, it is going to come down to the Brewers, Cubs, and Reds to who wins the Division or gets that Final WC spot. 1 of those teams are going home once the season ends. Then get this whoever wins the Division will probably be the 3rd seed which would match them up with the 6th seed in the Wild Card Round. It almost really doesn't matter if any of 3 teams finish 3rd or 6th as long as they aren't the odd ball out. Currently right now the Cubs would play the Brewers in the Wild Card Round for example chuckling homer simpson GIF

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You guys are still in better shape than most teams. What is comical is, it is going to come down to the Brewers, Cubs, and Reds to who wins the Division or gets that Final WC spot. 1 of those teams are going home once the season ends. Then get this whoever wins the Division will probably be the 3rd seed which would match them up with the 6th seed in the Wild Card Round. It almost really doesn't matter if any of 3 teams finish 3rd or 6th as long as they aren't the odd ball out. Currently right now the Cubs would play the Brewers in the Wild Card Round for example chuckling homer simpson GIF

Then let's makes a pact and have the Brewers as the odd team out! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@2006Coltsbestever I think the Cubs win the division when it is all set and done. Or at least make it as a wildcard team. I had a sweat with Acuna getting hit in the elbow yesterday. Luckily, he played today and is ok. Pirates are giving us a hard time. Kinda hoping to get this series over with lol. Pierce Johnson and Brad Hand seem like good bullpen trades from the Rockies. Anthopulous always does a good job trading for relievers on the cheap IMO.

Good luck winning the central! :thmup:

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

@2006Coltsbestever I think the Cubs win the division when it is all set and done. Or at least make it as a wildcard team. I had a sweat with Acuna getting hit in the elbow yesterday. Luckily, he played today and is ok. Pirates are giving us a hard time. Kinda hoping to get this series over with lol. Pierce Johnson and Brad Hand seem like good bullpen trades from the Rockies. Anthopulous always does a good job trading for relievers on the cheap IMO.

Good luck winning the central! :thmup:

Braves are hands down the best team in baseball. Glad Acuna is OK. He is the MVP. I was really quite surprised and happy that we beat the Braves 2 of 3. 

I remember you saying the Cubs would win the division over a month ago even when we were playing bad :thmup:. If you go by point differtial in the division, the Cubs are by far the best team. I will be happy if we just make the playoffs, in baseball anything can happen in the playoffs if you get in.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Braves are hands down the best team in baseball. Glad Acuna is OK. He is the MVP. I was really quite surprised and happy that we beat the Braves 2 of 3. 

I remember you saying the Cubs would win the division over a month ago even when we were playing bad :thmup:. If you go by point differtial in the division, the Cubs are by far the best team. I will be happy if we just make the playoffs, in baseball anything can happen in the playoffs if you get in.

We have a few weaknesses, but we are looking really solid right now. Just got Fried back (1 great start and 1 bad start), hoping to get Kyle Wright back a little later for the playoffs.

I did think the Cubs would win the division and still do. That's a sneaky, solid team. The Brewers have solid pitching with Woodruff now back and the Reds have some young prospects, but I think you can beat them. 

Once you get in, anything can happen. 100% true. We have both been the beneficiary of that recently. :thmup:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

We have a few weaknesses, but we are looking really solid right now. Just got Fried back (1 great start and 1 bad start), hoping to get Kyle Wright back a little later for the playoffs.

I did think the Cubs would win the division and still do. That's a sneaky, solid team. The Brewers have solid pitching with Woodruff now back and the Reds have some young prospects, but I think you can beat them. 

Once you get in, anything can happen. 100% true. We have both been the beneficiary of that recently. :thmup:

Brewers and Reds are on the Cubs level so it will be close. I think overall we may be slightly better but as of now the Brewers are maintaining their lead. 

Over the last few years the Brewers have been that bug pest that you can't kill Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Cody Bellinger would be the NL MVP if it wasn't for Acuna. He has turned his career back around. This team has a great feel to it because of chemistry. They all play for one another, they aren't as talented as the 2016-2020 teams but they rarely take a day off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cody Bellinger would be the NL MVP if it wasn't for Acuna. He has turned his career back around. This team has a great feel to it because of chemistry. They all play for one another, they aren't as talented as the 2016-2020 teams but they rarely take a day off.

Chemistry is so underrated. Enjoy it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Mets need a new manager because no way that team with Pete Alonso and Francisco Lindor should have the record they have. Even with their ups and downs, they should at worse be a .500 team and in the thick of the final WC spot. 

It is not the manager. There is no continuity. Every year there are different players. I hear we may have a youth movement. That is why Scherzer wanted to be traded.  I would love that. I hate signing high-priced players although I did like Scherzer a lot.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

It is not the manager. There is no continuity. Every year there are different players. I hear we may have a youth movement. That is why Scherzer wanted to be traded.  I would love that. I hate signing high-priced players although I did like Scherzer a lot.

The Mets won 101 games last year and then added Verlander. I had them making the playoffs this year with no problem. Like you said, maybe it is no continuity. I usually blame that on coaches though. 

Cubs did a magnificent job taking 2 of 3 from the Blue Jays which keeps us on pace for a playoff spot at worse. Marlins got lucky yesterday and pulled off a miracle. So we are a half game behind them right now but I feel good about the next 2 weeks: 

Cubs schedule starting Tuesday: August 15th-27th

White Sox

White Sox

DAY OFF on Thursday

Royals

Royals

Royals

at Tigers

at Tigers

at Tigers

at Pirates

at Pirates

at Pirates

at Pirates

Although road games are never easy, we should at worse go 8-4 in this stretch - double our wins. That would put us at 69-61. The reasonable goal I would set here is 9-3, if we can be 70-60 after this stretch, we should make the playoffs unless we collapse, or the Reds and Marlins just keep winning every night. Marlins start a 3 game set with the Astros tonight, good luck with that Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV

Marlins are 62-57

Cubs are 61-57

Reds are 61-58

-screw the Brewers at this point, they can even have the Division, only thing they will ever win anyway is Division Championships. If they win the Division and we finish 6th. They would be our first round opponent = best of 3 in the Wild Card Round. I love my chances against those lucky clowns.

I think the Reds inexperience and youth has finally caught up to them. So many young players who aren't used to playing this many games. They're all gassed. 

Still in it at least for a wildcard spot, but it looks like the Brewers will take the division unless they have an epic collapse and the Cubs have surging momentum. 

At least I'm not an Athletics fan! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I think the Reds inexperience and youth has finally caught up to them. So many young players who aren't used to playing this many games. They're all gassed. 

Still in it at least for a wildcard spot, but it looks like the Brewers will take the division unless they have an epic collapse and the Cubs have surging momentum. 

At least I'm not an Athletics fan! 

@RollerColt

I honestly think between the Cubs, Reds, and Marlins - those team are even. One day they all are good enough to beat the Braves, but then turn around and lose to teams like the Pirates or Mets lmao .

These are just my non-biased projections, not MLB projections but if I had to put a % on who gets the final playoff spot it would go:

Cubs 35%

Reds 33%

Marlins 32%

=100% of the vote, that is how close it is IMO. I favor the Cubs only because their schedule is easier compared to the other teams but that still may not matter. Cubs just lost 2 of 3 to the Mets before the Jays series. Mets are like 10 games below .500.

We need a Marlins loss today as your Reds and my Cubs have an off day.

• Like 2

What we have to watch for is a team like the Padres getting hot, they have underachieved all year. They are 56-61 right now. So they aren't totally out of it. They were my pick to win the NL before the season. They are talented enough to go on a run of like maybe 28-17 or so over the last 45 games. If they do that, they would finish 84-78.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, HOZER said:

CUBS WALK IT OFF!!! What an ending to what looked like another loss to the White Sox!!!!!

image.thumb.png.d70c3d0781df8f65a0cb0aa25e93c555.png

image.thumb.png.f568ac29a897b31b8659a121e44bd714.png

That was frustrating for 8 innings. Morel walked it off in the 9th. Huge much needed win.

Final WC spot race:

Cubs 62-58

Marlins 63-59

Reds 63-59

Cubs have it by a %point.

Day off tomorrow. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That was frustrating for 8 innings. Morel walked it off in the 9th. Huge much needed win.

Final WC spot race:

Cubs 62-58

Marlins 63-59

Reds 63-59

Cubs have it by a %point.

Day off tomorrow. 

I will add to this, we are still only 2.5 games behind the Brewers in the NL Central. Brewers are 65-56. We could still win the division.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 5:34 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will add to this, we are still only 2.5 games behind the Brewers in the NL Central. Brewers are 65-56. We could still win the division.

Cubs win the division, Reds get the wildcard and Brewers left out in the cold. Sounds good to me!!!!!

In other news, Wainwright is running out of games to get that magical 200th win before his retirement... Cards have been trying to get him out there to at least close a game and get the wins that way, but he's refusing. It'll be interesting to see what happens. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Cubs win the division, Reds get the wildcard and Brewers left out in the cold. Sounds good to me!!!!!

In other news, Wainwright is running out of games to get that magical 200th win before his retirement... Cards have been trying to get him out there to at least close a game and get the wins that way, but he's refusing. It'll be interesting to see what happens. 

Brewers lost last night, Cubs and Reds are only 2 games back now. :thmup:

• Like 2

I tell you what, being in the Baseball playoff race towards the end of August is fun but it is gut wrenching day to day. There are so many games to keep up with. Today was a great day for the Cubs, nice bounce back win vs the lowly Royals. This race for the final WildCard spot is just WILD! As of now, the Cubs regain that coveted spot because they own the tiebreaker over the Reds and Marlins.

Going into August 20th:

Cubs 63-59

Reds 64-60

Marlins 64-60. Marlins are still playing the 2nd game of their double header at LA. They lost the 1st game. They are down 3-1, another loss would put them at 64-61.

Fly the Flag @HOZER

• Like 1

Cubs win 4-3 over the Royals! Giving their fans what they want. The Professor with a great outing! Taking advantage of the weak part of the schedule like they should. Things are evening out now. 

Cubs improve to 64-59, 5 games above .500 which is the most they have been all season.

All the teams fighting for the final playoff wildcard spot have completed their games today. Standings heading into August 21st:

Cubs 64-59

Reds 64-61

Marlins 64-61

D Backs 64-61

*Cubs have a 1 game lead over the other 3 teams for that final spot (2 in the loss column). Go Cubs Go!

Fly the Flag @HOZER

• Like 1