Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 MLB Baseball

Cubs pulled a Brewers on the Brewers Homer Simpson Laughing GIF. Back to back 1 run wins and we finally got the breaks against them. Cubs win 3-2, and win the Set 2-1. I will take it.

Last day of August and the NL Playoff race looks like this:

1. Braves = 87-45, leads the NL East

2. Dodgers = 83-49, leads the NL West

3. Brewers = 74-59, leads the NL Central 

4. Phillies = 74-59, 1st Wildcard spot

5. Cubs = 71-62, 2nd Wildcard spot

6. Giants = 69-64, 3rd Wildcard spot 

Teams on the outside looking in:

Diamondbacks = 69-65

Reds = 69-66

Cubs have an off day tomorrow. They are currently only 3 games back of the Brewers in the the NL Central. They have a strangled hold on that 5th Playoff spot. Through August, this is looking good for the Cubs playoff wise and the Division is still winnable. Go Cubs Go. Home of the 2016 World Series Champions The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

Fly the Flag @HOZER

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs pulled a Brewers on the Brewers Homer Simpson Laughing GIF. Back to back 1 run wins and we finally got the breaks against them. Cubs win 3-2, and win the Set 2-1. I will take it.

Last day of August and the NL Playoff race looks like this:

1. Braves = 87-45, leads the NL East

2. Dodgers = 83-49, leads the NL West

3. Brewers = 74-59, leads the NL Central 

4. Phillies = 74-59, 1st Wildcard spot

5. Cubs = 71-62, 2nd Wildcard spot

6. Giants = 69-64, 3rd Wildcard spot 

Diamondbacks = 69-65

Reds = 69-66

Cubs have an off day tomorrow. They are currently only 3 games back of the Brewers in the the NL Central. They have a strangled hold on that 5th Playoff spot. Through August, this is looking good for the Cubs playoff wise and the Division is still winnable. Go Cubs Go. Home of the 2016 World Series Champions The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

Fly the Flag @HOZER

Oh I do I love it when they heat the Brewers!!!! LETS GO BABY!!!!!!!!

image.thumb.png.f568ac29a897b31b8659a121e44bd714.png

E7C9A456-4723-47FD-9973-2698EBC06078.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Cubs win pretty easily over the Reds 6-2! I have never heard a crowd so silent at Cincy. The last 2 innings were like being at a Funeral. 

Since the 2015 season we have made the Playoffs 5 times = 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020 - winning the World Series in 2016. After getting this win today in the 1st game of the double header at Cincy, that puts us 72-62 and comfortably in a Playoff spot. If we end up making the Playoffs here in 2023, that would be 6 times in the last 9 seasons. Making the playoffs in Baseball consistently is tough to do. This season has really surprised me, great stuff so far! Only 28 games left, the clock is ticking now for teams to make the Playoffs, September is hereClock Tick Tock GIF by MOODMAN.

Fly the Flag @HOZER

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bellinger is awesome, what a steal getting him in the offseason. A HR and 3 RBI's today, Cubs lead 3-1 in the 6th over the Reds in Game 1 of this double header. He is pretty equal to the way Bryant was playing here in 2015 and 2016. When Bellinger homers, JD calls it a BellyBomb Homer Simpson Doctor GIF

Bellibombs* and he had a second in the night cap!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs win pretty easily over the Reds 6-2! I have never heard a crowd so silent at Cincy. The last 2 innings were like being at a Funeral. 

Since the 2015 season we have made the Playoffs 5 times = 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020 - winning the World Series in 2016. After getting this win today in the 1st game of the double header at Cincy, that puts us 72-62 and comfortably in a Playoff spot. If we end up making the Playoffs here in 2023, that would be 6 times in the last 9 seasons. Making the playoffs in Baseball consistently is tough to do. This season has really surprised me, great stuff so far! Only 28 games left, the clock is ticking now for teams to make the Playoffs, September is hereClock Tick Tock GIF by MOODMAN.

Fly the Flag @HOZER

609F037F-4232-4904-8354-53CC41D55F10.jpeg.ba8d5b64b4479d06a9fc34eab97461d1.jpeg

well, rough outing for Alzolay the second game, gave up a home run to tie it then the winning hit, bummer! 1 of 2 is ok though.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HOZER said:

609F037F-4232-4904-8354-53CC41D55F10.jpeg.ba8d5b64b4479d06a9fc34eab97461d1.jpeg

well, rough outing for Alzolay the second game, gave up a home run to tie it then the winning hit, bummer! 1 of 2 is ok though.

Yeah we almost took 2. Usually Alzolay is automatic with a lead going to the 9th. That is his first loss in over a month. Oh well, can't win them all. I don't like double headers because no matter the opponent, it is really tough to take both games in the same day.

We are still 3 games ahead of the Reds and 2 games ahead of the Giants and Diamondbacks. 72-63 in the 5th spot.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah we almost took 2. Usually Alzolay is automatic with a lead going to the 9th. That is his first loss in over a month. Oh well, can't win them all. I don't like double headers because no matter the opponent, it is really tough to take both games in the same day.

We are still 3 games ahead of the Reds and 2 games ahead of the Giants and Diamondbacks. 72-63 in the 5th spot.

And another loss cuz Ross refuses to play a decent line up against lefties. And mlj doesn't have his splitter

22 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

And another loss cuz Ross refuses to play a decent line up against lefties. And mlj doesn't have his splitter

I was perturbed that Ross didn't keep Assad in, Cincy hadn't figured him out all night. Ross has done a great job this year as a whole but the way he tends to take pitchers out too early or leaves them in too long has cost the Cubs at least 4 or 5 games this season. He has left Taillon in too long a couple of times and he cost the Cubs the game, in tonight's game you have to keep Assad in. He was at 98 pitches, not even at 100 yet and looked strong. Luckily we are getting major help tonight and won't lose any ground. Diamondbacks and Giants both are losing big tonight. If we win tomorrow, we get the split in the set 2-2. I am ok with it. 

Very nice to see after 2 gut wrenching losses/kick in teeth type of losses to the Reds. They always play us tough, so before the set started, I wanted to go 2-2 at worse and would be happy with it. As long as they didn't gain any ground was the key. The offense has finally woke up. Up 12-5 in the 8th as of now and we are still up to bat. A win here put us ahead of the Reds 3 games again and 2.5 ahead of the Giants and D Backs in the WildCard Race. The Giants and D Backs haven't gained any ground either over the weekend.

• Like 1

2023 NL Playoff race: As of September 4th,

#1 Seed = Braves 90-46

#2 Seed = Dodgers 84-52

BYE's

#3 Brewers = 76-60 - leader of NL Central

#4 Phillies = 75-61 (1st WC spot)

#5 Cubs = 73-64 (2nd WC spot) - 3 games ahead of #6's

#6 Check this out and maybe @RollerColtwould know this but not sure who gets the tiebreaker here. Reds = 71-68 .511%, Giants 70-67 .511%, D Backs 70-67 .511%. stressed homer simpson GIF- I hope it is the Reds. I don't mind the Brewers winning the NL Central as long as the Cubs or Reds play them in the 1st round which would be the #3 vs #6 matchup. Reds are a great organization and their fanbase is great. Brewers fanbase sucks and they are fools gold, we just beat them 2 of 3 times. If you have solid starting pitching and a closer you can beat them. I think if we played the Brewers, Steele would shut them down and Adbert would shut the door. If we get STRO back we can take them out! The Phillies scare me more because of their offense. 

September and October Baseball is hard to top if your team is battling for playoff position. The 1 run losses are gut wrenching but when you win hard fought 1 run games, you feel like you have a won playoff game. I can't explain it to most people.

In the AL, Baltimore, the and Rays are fools gold. Astros are about to wipe everyone out and I am not even an Astros fan. Their lineup is loaded! I had the BlueJays winning the AL before the season started. Once the Astros got Verlander back, I seen this bullcocky coming. 

It will probably be Braves vs Astros in the WS if I had to call it now. Cubs are my darkhorse in the NL, I say that not as a fan, I say that because of their Pitching. Bellinger is like Bryant as well, he is one man wrecking crew. Darkhorse in the AL, I still think the BlueJays sneak in, they are only 1 game out of a WC spot at 75-62. I am not buying the Mariners. 

Biggest disappointment of the year was my before season pick of the Padres to win the WS. I struck out on that one Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons

Other disappointments are the Yankees, Cards, and Mets.

Thoughts @NFLfan, who do you think makes the WS as of now. Braves look really good and the Astros just have the 'IT' factor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

not sure who gets the tiebreaker here. Reds = 71-68 .511%, Giants 70-67 .511%, D Backs 70-67 .511%

Reds are last of that bunch.

Being 1-1 in the two games more they have played brings that .511 a little lower.

.0002 lower. Lol.

• Thanks 1

I have not followed baseball all year. From the sounds of it, it seems that the Braves are red hot. I say the Braves but I would love a team to knock them out. Lol.

I would like a team that has never won to win the World Series. What team is that? The Brewers?

Just now, NFLfan said:

I have not followed baseball all year. From the sounds of it, it seems that the Braves are red hot. I say the Braves but I would love a team to knock them out. Lol.

I would like a team that has never won to win the World Series. What team is that? The Brewers?

If the Brewers win it all I will puke Working Homer Simpson GIF- Tampa Bay has never won it all, I would be cool with that but I don't see it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

I would love the Reds to make it. Is Joey Votto still there? (I have not followed baseball in so long that I forgot how to spell Votto.) :lol:

Yeah is injured right now but he may be back within this week from I have been reading. I like Cruz, that guy is a great ShortStop and is like 6'5 220 pound. Hell of a hitter too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah is injured right now but he may be back within this week from I have been reading. I like Cruz, that guy is a great ShortStop and is like 6'5 220 pound. Hell of a hitter too.

I cannot think of any player that has been playing longer. It seems like he has been playing for decades. What is great is that he has been on the same team all along. I love that! Why can't the Mets get a Joey Votto. We had David Wright but spinal stenosis or a similar condition forced him to retire early. I loved David Wright!!

img_2556.thumb.jpg.03a9c6e0b2f1c9b1383387948f107466.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I cannot think of any player that has been playing longer. It seems like he has been playing for decades. What is great is that he has been on the same team all along. I love that! Why can't the Mets get a Joey Votto. We had David Wright but spinal stenosis or a similar condition forced him to retire early. I loved David Wright!!

img_2556.thumb.jpg.03a9c6e0b2f1c9b1383387948f107466.jpg

Great leaders are hard to come by. Daniel Murphy was one too. He was the Cubs killer lmao . Cubs have that in Bellinger now. Bellinger has re-placed Bryant which is tough to do but he is doing it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wonder what would happen between a 3 team tiebreaker if the season ends and they all are 86-76 for example. I like the Reds so I hope they get in. 

Tie breaker order:

1.H2H record

2. Intradivision record(own division)

3. Interdivision record(non division/same conference)

4. 2nd half intraleague record

5. 2nd half intraleague record+1

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-playoff-tiebreaker-rules#:~:text=If the head-to-head,record would win the tiebreaker.

To answer your other question up there.

Right now Giants would have the last spot as they are 6-5 against the DBacks this season, as of now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Tie breaker order:

1.H2H record

2. Intradivision record(own division)

3. Interdivision record(non division/same conference)

4. 2nd half intraleague record

5. 2nd half intraleague record+1

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-playoff-tiebreaker-rules#:~:text=If the head-to-head,record would win the tiebreaker.

To answer your other question up there.

Right now Giants would have the last spot as they are 6-5 against the DBacks this season, as of now.

Yeah this rarely happens in baseball so I wasn't sure. Thanks. I figured head to head, but when 3 teams are involved I wasn't sure.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah this rarely happens in baseball so I wasn't sure. Thanks. I figured head to head, but when 3 teams are involved I wasn't sure.

Still h2h if 3 teams are involved.

Per that MLB article:

"It's more complex for three-team ties.

If the three clubs DO NOT all have identical records against one another and Team X has a better record against Teams Y and Z, then Team X is the qualifier. If Team X and Y have identical records against one another and each has a better record against Team Z, then Teams X and Y follow the two-club tiebreaker rules to determine the qualifier. Otherwise, the three clubs are ranked by their overall winning percentage against one another, and the club with the highest overall winning percentage is the qualifier. If two of the clubs have identical winning percentages in this scenario, then they would follow the two-club tiebreaker procedure.

If the three clubs DO have identical records against one another, then the team with the best intradivision record (see below) is the qualifier.

Note: If the three teams are tied for a division championship plus one Wild Card spot, then, once the above is used to determine the division champ, the remaining two teams revert to the two-team tiebreaker procedure to determine the Wild Card."

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Still h2h if 3 teams are involved.

Per that MLB article:

"It's more complex for three-team ties.

If the three clubs DO NOT all have identical records against one another and Team X has a better record against Teams Y and Z, then Team X is the qualifier. If Team X and Y have identical records against one another and each has a better record against Team Z, then Teams X and Y follow the two-club tiebreaker rules to determine the qualifier. Otherwise, the three clubs are ranked by their overall winning percentage against one another, and the club with the highest overall winning percentage is the qualifier. If two of the clubs have identical winning percentages in this scenario, then they would follow the two-club tiebreaker procedure.

If the three clubs DO have identical records against one another, then the team with the best intradivision record (see below) is the qualifier.

Note: If the three teams are tied for a division championship plus one Wild Card spot, then, once the above is used to determine the division champ, the remaining two teams revert to the two-team tiebreaker procedure to determine the Wild Card."

Thanks again. I really wasn't sure. This season has a lot of parity, just getting in is big. 

I personally 100% agree with 5 teams getting in, that really makes the regular season uber important = 3 Division winners and 2 WC's. Having said that I am ok with 6 teams getting in but would not go more than that. A lot of years, like this one, teams 3-6 are all pretty even is why. If you are 1 of 6 you probably belong out of 15 teams, so the format is good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HOZER said:

Cubs win again, and the Brewers go down!!!! We’re getting closer!!!!!

image.png.c5c60f14c47c8040c6fe6725166dbe96.png

IMG_0126.thumb.JPG.92f922c8ef84825f6feb3288b519842a.JPG

Yes sir, and we are in great shape regarding making the playoffs as well. We are 3 games ahead of the Diamondbacks and Reds. 4 ahead of the Giants for the 5th spot in the NL. 

Cubs 74-64

Diamondbacks 71-67

Reds 72-68

Giants 70-68

Steele is in the running for NL CY Young.

• Thanks 1

Another night completed. Going into September 6th here is what the NL Playoff race looks like:

1. Braves 90-47

2. Dodgers 84-53

BYE's

3. Brewers 77-61 (NL Central lead)

4. Phillies 76-62 (1st WC)

5. Cubs 75-64 (2nd WC)

6. Reds 73-68 (3rd WC)

Marlins 71-67 (.5 back of 6th)

D Backs 71-68 (1 back of 6th)

Giants 70-69 (2 back of 6th)

Fly the Flag @HOZER, Cubs win again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Another night completed. Going into September 6th here is what the NL Playoff race looks like:

1. Braves 90-47

2. Dodgers 84-53

BYE's

5. Cubs 75-64 (2nd WC)

6. Reds 73-68 (3rd WC)

image.thumb.png.f568ac29a897b31b8659a121e44bd714.png

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1. Braves 90-47

2. Dodgers 84-53

BYE's

5. Cubs 75-64 (2nd WC)

6. Reds 73-68 (3rd WC)

I like those standings. Let's just end the regular season today! 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I like those standings. Let's just end the regular season today! 

Yeah Reds and Cubs both get in. Even if we don't win the division, I am ok with ending it now. Anything can still happen. In baseball, it is really about just making the playoffs. The team with the best record loses quite often. That is what makes baseball suspenseful during the playoffs.

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah Reds and Cubs both get in. Even if we don't win the division, I am ok with ending it now. Anything can still happen. In baseball, it is really about just making the playoffs. The team with the best record loses quite often. That is what makes baseball suspenseful during the playoffs.

Nothing would be more hilarious than Cubbies and Reds in the playoffs, with the Reds somehow pulling off a miracle upset and knocking out the Brewers. Do either of our teams stand a chance against the Braves and Dodgers? Who knows! The Reds seem to play the Dodgers quite well. Cubs have been giant killers this year. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Nothing would be more hilarious than Cubbies and Reds in the playoffs, with the Reds somehow pulling off a miracle upset and knocking out the Brewers. Do either of our teams stand a chance against the Braves and Dodgers? Who knows! The Reds seem to play the Dodgers quite well. Cubs have been giant killers this year. 

Reds could definitely beat the Brewers. They have a better lineup IMO. It is their pitching that concerns me. Cubs would draw the Phillies and that won't be easy. Both series is the best of 3. I think Steele would win his outing, the other games, not sure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Sweep! Cubs Sweep the Giants and will now face dbacks at home 

Brewers also lost. We are just 1.5 games out of 1st place in the NL Central. We have that 5th spot on lock down. We can actually still win the division. We destroyed the Giants 3 straight games.

@HOZER,  fly the Flag. 

• Like 2

On 9/4/2023 at 9:50 AM, NFLfan said:

BrewCrew, Padres,Mariners, Tampa Rays, Rockies,Rangers......but Tampa has come close and has a shot this year....Rangers are fading after leading most of season. 

Yankees are starting to play better but probably too little too late.....but their puppies a.k.a. young rookies just called up has given them energy winning 5 in a row. And Domingus  looks like a possible star. The much publicized prospect has 3 HR's in like 5 games including one on his very first swing and the pitcher was Verlander. 

We're 6 games behind Texas but they are in a freefall. Have to pass Blue Jays too. 

Judge hit his 250th HR and was the fastest to reach that mark in history of MLB!!!......Stanton hit his 400th HR. Cole looks like he has the inside track to win the Cy Young. 

Opening up a series with Milwaukee and @2006Coltsbestever will be pulling for Yanks the next few days. :funny:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

BrewCrew, Padres,Mariners, Tampa Rays, Rockies,Rangers......but Tampa has come close and has a shot this year....Rangers are fading after leading most of season. 

Yankees are starting to play better but probably too little too late.....but their puppies a.k.a. young rookies just called up has given them energy winning 5 in a row. And Domingus  looks like a possible star. The much publicized prospect has 3 HR's in like 5 games including one on his very first swing and the pitcher was Verlander. 

We're 6 games behind Texas but they are in a freefall. Have to pass Blue Jays too. 

Judge hit his 250th HR and was the fastest to reach that mark in history of MLB!!!......Stanton hit his 400th HR. Cole looks like he has the inside track to win the Cy Young. 

Opening up a series with Milwaukee and @2006Coltsbestever will be pulling for Yanks the next few days. :funny:

Heck yeah, go Yankees. Do us a solid. 

• Like 2