Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 MLB Baseball

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

We need to sweep the Brewers and just about everyone else we play to get in. Lol

I'll take a Cubs vs Yankees World Series :banana:

If the Cubs win the NL Central, that would be an amazing story. At 1 point we were 26-36 which was the worst record in the NL. We were being mocked by the media and fans. That didn't age well. We aren't the same ol Cubs anymore. Since we got good in 2015 and won the WS in 2016, the Cubs have been 1 of the better franchises in baseball. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Brewers also lost. We are just 1.5 games out of 1st place in the NL Central. We have that 5th spot on lock down. We can actually still win the division. We destroyed the Giants 3 straight games.

@HOZER,  fly the Flag. 

LETSSSS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

IMG_0126.JPG.5cf85f14fd2b14e44eac592044ed1690.JPGimage.gif.b679dc708bdeee7610a198606753adfd.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been a Cubs fan since 1984. I will take any season I can enjoy because we have stunk in many seasons.

These seasons stand out:

1984 - we won the Division and played in the NLCS but lost. Ryne Sandberg won NL MVP. Rick Sutcliffe won NL Cy Young. Jim Frey won NL Manager of the Year.

1987 - we were a below .500 team but Andre Dawson won NL MVP, smashing HR's daily. He hit 49 before the steroid era! Fun season because of Andre.

1989 - we won the Division and played in the NLCS but lost.

1998 - made the playoffs but lost in the Divisional Round. Watching to see who was going to hit more HR's between Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire was a delight. Sammy hit 66 HR's! Sammy Sosa won NL MVP.

2003 - we won the Division and played in the NLCS but lost.

2007 - we won the Division but lost in the Divisional Round.

2008 - we won the Division but lost in the Divisional Round.

2015 - made the Playoffs, made it to the NLCS but lost. Jake Arrieta won NL Cy Young. Joe Maddon won NL Manager of the Year.

2016 - won the Division, won the NL Pennant, won the WS. Kris Bryant won NL MVP, Zobrist won WS MVP.

2017 - we won the Division but lost in the NLCS.

2018 - made the Playoffs but lost in WildCard Round.

2020 - we won the Division but lost in the WildCard Round

2023 - I am going to enjoy this ride each day and see how it plays out and as of now we have a 90% chance to make the Playoffs. These collection of Cubs players are my kind of players. The Cubs have perfect chemistry and give 100% every day. The Cubs have leaders and a good Manager in David RossCody Bellinger is our new Kris Bryant and Justin Steele is a great Pitcher. Steele may win NL Cy Young? Bellinger is having an MVP type season but he missed a month earlier in the season + Acuna for the Braves is just having a season for the ages. So Bellinger won't win it but he is the perfect player to fit our team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

2023 - I am going to enjoy this ride each day and see how it plays out and as of now we have a 90% chance to make the Playoffs. These collection of Cubs players are my kind of players. The Cubs have perfect chemistry and give 100% every day. The Cubs have leaders and a good Manager in David RossCody Bellinger is our new Kris Bryant and Justin Steele is a great Pitcher. Steele may win NL Cy Young? Bellinger is having an MVP type season but he missed a month earlier in the season + Acuna for the Braves is just having a season for the ages. So Bellinger won't win it but he is the perfect player to fit our team.

Blake Snell of the Padres has a good shot at the NL Cy Young Award, he's already won one in the AL. Snell leads all of MLB with a 2.50 ERA, and he currently has 201 strikeouts. He starts tomorrow night, and will probably pitch about 5 more times after that before the season is done. The only other time he posted 200+ strikeouts was in 2018, when he struck out 221 and won the AL Cy Young while pitching for Tampa Bay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lancer1 said:

Blake Snell of the Padres has a good shot at the NL Cy Young Award, he's already won one in the AL. Snell leads all of MLB with a 2.50 ERA, and he currently has 201 strikeouts. He starts tomorrow night, and will probably pitch about 5 more times after that before the season is done. The only other time he posted 200+ strikeouts was in 2018, when he struck out 221 and won the AL Cy Young while pitching for Tampa Bay.

Justin Steele is 16-3 with a 2.55 ERA. He is having a dream season.

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Justin Steele is 16-3 with a 2.55 ERA. He is having a dream season.

He is but so is Spencer Strider of the Braves - he's 16-5 with an MLB leading 250 strikeouts, but his ERA is 3.83 and that may hurt his chances. Steele & Strider will both most likely pitch in the postseason this year, while Snell almost definitely won't. If the voters just go by statistics and not overall team success, Snell has a good shot as he'll likely end the season with the lowest ERA and the fact that he's won 1 before also bodes well for him.

• Like 1

Just now, Lancer1 said:

He is but so is Spencer Strider of the Braves - he's 16-5 with an MLB leading 250 strikeouts, but his ERA is 3.83 and that may hurt his chances. Steele & Strider will both most likely pitch in the postseason this year, while Snell almost definitely won't. If the voters just go by statistics and not overall team success, Snell has a good shot as he'll likely end the season with the lowest ERA and the fact that he's won 1 before also bodes well for him.

Yeah it is between those 3. I was going to bring Strider up. Strider may win it because the Braves will have the best record.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah it is between those 3. I was going to bring Strider up. Strider may win it because the Braves will have the best record.

It's an individual award, not a team one so the one with the best stats will probably win it - the only real question is, which statistics are most important to the CY voters? If it's ERA, Snell probably wins it. If it's winning percentage & strikeouts, Strider may have the edge. If it;s a combination of the 3, then it may be Steele who will probably have more wins than Snell, and a lower ERA than Strider but likely the fewest strikeouts of the trio.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HOZER said:

Can we put an amber alert out for the Cubs Offense? Have dropped three in a row to the Diamondbacks at Wrigley, my goodness!!!☹️

I watched the game today and talk about a game of inches. In the 9th inning, Gomes just missed hitting a HR by a foot. That would have won the game. This series has been very disappointing but I am still not worried. We were due to hit a slump sooner or later with playing everyday. What is funny is, everyone else has been losing in this playoff race. We still are in complete control of a playoff spot. The sweep we had over the Giants looms large now. I think we will win tomorrow. We haven't lost 4 in a row since early June. Baseball can be gut wrenching.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs win. I knew they would. That was a huge win and much needed. The Professor gets the win, and Bellinger hit a BellyBomb homer simpson 3d GIF by Miriam Ganser- We still have control of our playoff spot. @LJpalmbeacher2Yankees beat the Brewers too :banana:

Cubs are awesome, I had no doubt they would win today. Hey Arizona how's this feel martial arts fight GIF- doesn't feel good does it. Fly the Flag @HOZER

• Like 1

It is dwindling down now folks. Long hard-fought season and many gut-wrenching games. Baseball is a 162 game grind, it takes a rare mindset to follow it every day. It can drive you nuts. You win 3 in a row, lose 3 in a row, you win 2 games by 1 run, you lose 2 games by 1 run. It drives you insane. 

Here are the standings through September 10th regarding the playoff race:

1. Braves 93-49

2. Dodgers 87-55

-those 2 teams have the Bye.

3. Brewers 79-63 = leads the NL Central

4. Phillies 78-64 = (1st WC Spot)

5. Cubs 77-67 = (2nd WC Spot)

6. D Backs 75-69 (3rd WC Spot)

Teams that are out looking in:

Marlins 74-69 (.5 behind the D Backs)

Reds 74-71 (1.5 behind the D Backs)

Giants 73-70 (1.5 behind the D Backs)

If someone was tell me the Cubs would be in this position before the season started, I would have laughed and taken it and ran. Teams like the Padres, Mets, and Cards were picked to do better than the Cubs and those teams are out of it. We are almost to the playoff finish line. At 77-67, only 18 games left. 'Just get in' is my motto!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs win. I knew they would. That was a huge win and much needed. The Professor gets the win, and Bellinger hit a BellyBomb homer simpson 3d GIF by Miriam Ganser- We still have control of our playoff spot. @LJpalmbeacher2Yankees beat the Brewers too :banana:

Yep......the Yankees are so tuff even if you 'no hit' them for 10.1/3 innings they still manage to win. :funny:

But yesterday was a punch to the gut when we found out our super star prospect, Domingus, has a tear in ucl  in right elbow. :yuk: Boone said for a position player it usually means 8-9 months out! 

OUCH!!! The terrible season just got more terrible. 

And the Colts losing a game that coulda been won and woulda put them in sole position first place resulted in a VERY BAD DAY. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Yep......the Yankees are so tuff even if you 'no hit' them for 10.1/3 innings they still manage to win. :funny:

But yesterday was a punch to the gut when we found out our super star prospect, Domingus, has a tear in ucl  in right elbow. :yuk: Boone said for a position player it usually means 8-9 months out! 

OUCH!!! The terrible season just got more terrible. 

And the Colts losing a game that coulda been won and woulda put them in sole position first place resulted in a VERY BAD DAY. 

Yeah yesterday's Colts game was very winnable. We let that one get away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not a fan of Cuas, his control is awful, really tried to ruin Wicks outing. As I type the Cubs go back up, let’s get the W!!!!

Still not used to seeing Bryant in anything but a Cubs uniform…same goes for Rizzo, Baez and Schwarber…. Oh the memories!!!

And now Fulmer is stinking it up……for Pete’s sake….speaking of Pete, how about that Pete Crow Armstrong kid?! I think he’s got a bright future, he was slaying it in the minors. Aggressive base runner and layed a nice sacrifice bunt earlier!

C’mon Cubbies 2 more outs!!!!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, HOZER said:

And now Fulmer is stinking it up……for Pete’s sake….speaking of Pete, how about that Pete Crow Armstrong kid?! I think he’s got a bright future, he was slaying it in the minors. Aggressive base runner and layed a nice sacrifice bunt earlier!

C’mon Cubbies 2 more outs!!!!

Pete Crow Armstrong looks like he may be a real good player for us. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It’s almost like having two Nico Hoerners on the team! Could be dangerous for other teams!!!! Man Gomes had another solid outing too!!! Big fan!

• Thanks 1

Just popping in to get caught up.  Playoff race is exciting for those who have teams in the running.

Obviously, championships cannot be bought...ask the Mets, Yankees, Padres, etc.  There have been a few exceptions over the years, but generally it's tough to spend big bucks on star players and not have the supporting cast that's needed, because you can't afford to surround the big bucks stars with decent players.

Good luck to you Cubs fans, your team is making this season exciting.

P.S. - Cardinals officially suck.  They will have to totally rebuild their starting pitching staff for 2024.  Offensively, they have several good young prospects and veterans.  But, they will probably have to spend big on SP or trade young talent for pitching.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Just popping in to get caught up.  Playoff race is exciting for those who have teams in the running.

Obviously, championships cannot be bought...ask the Mets, Yankees, Padres, etc.  There have been a few exceptions over the years, but generally it's tough to spend big bucks on star players and not have the supporting cast that's needed, because you can't afford to surround the big bucks stars with decent players.

Good luck to you Cubs fans, your team is making this season exciting.

P.S. - Cardinals officially suck.  They will have to totally rebuild their starting pitching staff for 2024.  Offensively, they have several good young prospects and veterans.  But, they will probably have to spend big on SP or trade young talent for pitching.

Yeah it is hard to follow Baseball when your favorite team is out of it by the beginning of August. Mainly because it is a long-drawn sport that can be boring at times. If your team is in a Playoff race in August and September, it is along with Football the best sport to watch. Every game almost feels like a Playoff game is why, and most teams play almost play every day. Like last night's game the Cubs vs the Rockies was a huge game but if the Cubs were out of it, it would have just been another game. We have only had 2 down years since 2015 and that was in 2021 and 2022. The last 2 years I wasn't even into to it because we were out of it by August. So I know what you mean. July is the key month because if your team catches fire in July and is a threat to make the Playoffs, they won't sell at the trade deadline. Cubs did just that this season.

• Like 2

Adbert just got put on the 15 day IL! not good, he is our main closer. Baseball is such a daily grind; I often wonder if they should shorten the season? 130 games would still be a lot of games and just start the Playoffs at the beginning of September when the weather is still real good too. Start the season in mid-April when the weather starts to be good everywhere as well. They will never do that because of money, but oh well.

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Thanks @NFLfan for him!

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Adbert just got put on the 15 day IL! not good, he is our main closer. Baseball is such a daily grind; I often wonder if they should shorten the season? 130 games would still be a lot of games and just start the Playoffs at the beginning of September when the weather is still real good too. Start the season in mid-April when the weather starts to be good everywhere as well. They will never do that because of money, but oh well.

Yes, but AA going on il gets him a break a bit, hopefully that was the major reason. Fulmer hopefully caught himself now. 

Candy went on IL today due to back. PCA should start a lot while he's out, with belli being at first. So actually might increase our d now

• Like 2

Bummed to see Candelario and Alzolay hurt, hope they can recover and come back and make an impact. Candelario has played well and provides a spark for sure! Canario is no joke, has some power, could be a great addition  this time of year.

And Wow, Crow Armstrong playing center and had an amazing catch already, very nice! Just got an RBI too. Forgot we got him for Baez, might just pay off!

*then gets thrown out trying to steal second, lol. Two days in a row, can’t say he’s not aggressive!