Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 MLB Baseball

I'm cautiously excited for the Cardinals season.  

Losing Pujols and Molina is tough to overcome.  I hope signing Willson Contreras helps fill the gap.  

As usual, the Cardinals have some good talent in the minors.  Jordan Walker will be up at some point a bolter an already crowded outfield.   

Pitching-wise, They have an always solid Wainwright back for his 18th season with the Cardinals.  I'd probably call him a 2 or a 3 in the rotation.  His last 3 seasons ERA 3.05, 3.71, 3.38.   Flaherty is the wild card.  After injuries the past 2 seasons it is not known if he will get back to his 2019 level but he is only 27.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Hey, baseball fans, pitchers and catchers have reported to Spring Training and real baseball will be here before you know it.

What are your thoughts on the upcoming season? Will the Astros repeat? Are you excited for your teams? 

mlb-logos-2022-wall-poster-22222_large.j

Looking forward to watching the Braves play. There needs to be a cap ceiling to prevent Steve Cohen from buying a championship for the Mets though. That, or stricter penalties for going over the luxury tax threshold. Other than losing Swanson, the Braves are about the same. Sean Murphy is a massive improvement at C, and although our farm sucks now, our major league team is extremely competitive and we are two years removed from winning the WS. 

I'm hoping to see Vaughn Grissom make an impact at SS, Acuna to have a comeback year two years removed from ACL surgery, Michael Harris to build off of his NL rookie of the year season, and guys like Soroka and Anderson to continue to develop as pitchers. The bullpen should be elite again as well. 

I need to get my mind off of the Colts, they are really making me a negative person right now.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Looking forward to watching the Braves play. There needs to be a cap ceiling to prevent Steve Cohen from buying a championship for the Mets though. 

I'm a Mets fan and I hate signing all these expensive players. I prefer keeping our homegrown players. Losing DeGrom is upsetting. I am glad that the Correa deal fell through. 

All the best to all teams.

• Like 2

When I used to follow baseball religiously, I used to enjoy the history of baseball. I liked to hear older fans talk about their favorite players and managers from the past. There were rivalries. And players did not move around so much.

The music video of Centerfield by John Fogarty shows many of the greats of baseball's past. It seems that they have all left us. The only one I recognize there that is still living is Willie Mays. Do you recognize anyone else?

In the same way, the Baseball thread has lost some fans who used to be regular posters. They don't join us anymore for whatever reason. Brent, JayKirk, Northern Blue, Princeton Tiger, Radiogirl, and others were great contributors to the thread. I miss them all.

• Like 2

When MLB changes rules, it turns me off.  I didn't watch as much last year because I don't like the DH in the National league.  

Changes for 2023:

Shift restrictions: The defensive team must have a minimum of four players on the infield, with at least two infielders completely on either side of second base. These restrictions are intended to increase the batting average on balls in play.

- So batting averages will be better in 2023.

Bigger bases: First, second and third have been expanded from 15 inches on each side to 18 inches on each side, while home plate remains unchanged. The primary reason why the bases are bigger is safety, giving fielders and runners more room to operate without colliding. But the slightly decreased distance between bases could help runners on stolen-base attempts and bang-bang plays.

Pitch timer: The length of games will still be determined by innings, not minutes. But to create a crisper pace, there will be a 30-second timer between batters and then a shorter time limit between pitches. Pitchers will be required to begin their motion 15 seconds after receiving the ball with the bases empty or 20 seconds after receiving the ball with runners on base. If they don’t, they will be charged with an automatic ball.

Batters, meanwhile, must be in the batter’s box and alert to the pitcher by the 8-second mark on the clock, or else be charged with an automatic strike.

Pitchers will also be limited to two pickoff attempts per plate appearance with a runner on first. 

- So after he uses his 2, the runner can walk to 2nd base?

This kid is impressive.  I would like to see him pitch both games of a double header.

Jurrangelo Cijntje, a freshman out of Pembroke Pines, Florida, started for the Bulldogs in Wednesday’s game against the University of Louisiana Monroe, when he struck out seven batters in four scoreless innings. 

The impressive part? He did so pitching with both arms

The 19-year-old switch-pitcher allowed just one hit, one walk and struck out six batters as right-hander. 

In the third inning, he displayed his ambidextrous abilities and struck out a left-handed hitter with a 92 mph fastball. 

Cijntje, who is now 2-0 this season after appearing in last week’s win over VMI, also threw a 97 mph pitch from the right. 

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/mississippi-state-pitcher-jurrangelo-cijntje-goes-viral-ambidextrous-talent

• Like 3

Ah yes!!!  Baseball is back!!!  I agree with @Myles that the Cardinals will be interesting to watch again this season...a new catcher for the first time in nearly 2 decades, but with a better bat.

Pujols will be missed in the locker room and at the plate...what an incredible finish to his career in 2022, huh?  I don't like the DH either, but it worked for him to reach the 700 HR level.

Look for Gorman to improve, Carlson to bounce back, as well as O'Neill if he can stay healthy.  Also excited to see Walker come up at some point and contribute.

We have 4 starters whose contracts expire at the end of the 2023 season, so it will be an audition of sorts to see who is worth extending beyond 2023.

GO CARDINALS!!!

• Like 4

Good game Vs the Red Sox today in a 6-6 tie for the Braves. Matt Olson hit a HR, and the team looked solid. Unfortunately, the new pitch clock rules possibly cost us a spring training win as Conley got struck out for not being in the batters box within 8 seconds (I believe) in the bottom of the 9th with the bases loaded and a full count. This is going to happen a lot IMO throughout the year.

No injuries today (knock on wood), so a good first day to spring training. Hoping for another one tomorrow!

• Like 1

These are not the cheap GMs & Owners that have made the Padres franchise a doormat for most of it's existence. In the past they didn't want to pay their performers, so they either traded them or let them walk and sign with the highest bidder - within the past year they've signed Joe Musgrove, Yu Darvish & now Manny Machado to multi year, $100 million+ extensions.

Expectations are high for this team, and I think barring a few devastating injuries, they'll probablty be able to meet them - it's an exciting time to be a Padres fan!

• Like 2

On 2/25/2023 at 8:12 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

Conley got struck out for not being in the batters box within 8 seconds (I believe) in the bottom of the 9th with the bases loaded and a full count. This is going to happen a lot IMO throughout the year.

All these efforts to speed the game up are lost on me.  Especially when they continue to add more commercials.  I like the slow game style of baseball.  The new rules are too much.  

I have a couple questions if any one knows the answers:

Do pitchers get credit for a strike or strikeout from the batter not being in the box on time?

they said the pitcher is only allowed to throw to 1st base 2 times per batter.  Base stealing will go up allot.  If you factor in the bigger leads that will be takes and the distance between 1st and 2nd is 4.5" shorter, stealing be be much easier.  So if a pitcher throws to first 2 times, can the runner now take as big a lead as he wants?

2 hours ago, Myles said:

All these efforts to speed the game up are lost on me.  Especially when they continue to add more commercials.  I like the slow game style of baseball.  The new rules are too much.  

I have a couple questions if any one knows the answers:

Do pitchers get credit for a strike or strikeout from the batter not being in the box on time?

They get credited with a strike, but if the pitcher is slow, then it's an automatic ball. Manny Machado was the 1st player to get a strike called on him for not being ready fast enough, but he singled in that at bat.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

they said the pitcher is only allowed to throw to 1st base 2 times per batter.  Base stealing will go up allot.  If you factor in the bigger leads that will be takes and the distance between 1st and 2nd is 4.5" shorter, stealing be be much easier.  So if a pitcher throws to first 2 times, can the runner now take as big a lead as he wants?

The way I understand it, they can only throw over twice without getting the out so if they throw 3 times and don't pick off the runner, then he is awarded the next base - I think this goes for all runners on base, not just on 1st.

• Like 2

*The rule changes are due too, the league is trying to make the game go quicker/speed it up. A batter gets 8 seconds to get in the box and get ready to hit, if he doesn't it is an automatic Strike. A pitcher has 15 seconds to throw a pitch when the bases are empty and 20 seconds with someone on base, if they don't it is an automatic Ball. I don't mind it really because batters and pitchers take their sweet time at times to hit or pitch. 

*Regarding rivalry's: 3 greatest one's in history have probably been,

Yankees vs Red Sox

Dodgers vs Giants

Cardinals vs Cubs

*Last 10 WS Champions: = Recent history,

2013 - Boston Red Sox

2014 - SF Giants

2015 - KC Royals

2016 - Chicago Cubs

2017 - Houston Astros (many don't count this because they cheated)

2018 - Boston Red Sox

2019 - Washington Nationals

2020 - LA Dodgers (won in a 60 games Covid season)

2021 - Atlanta Braves

2022 - Houston Astros (this was legit IMO)

*Can the Astros repeat? No team has repeated since the 2000 Season. NY Yankees 3-Peated from 1998-2000. I don't expect much from my Cubs this year, maybe they will surprise me. Once your team is out of it by August, the regular season for said fan becomes boring. Playoffs are still great though and I watch the playoffs regardless. 

Good day everyone.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

They get credited with a strike, but if the pitcher is slow, then it's an automatic ball. Manny Machado was the 1st player to get a strike called on him for not being ready fast enough, but he singled in that at bat.

So the pitcher can get a strikeout without throwing a pitch?  ha ha, that seems silly.  

12 minutes ago, Myles said:

So the pitcher can get a strikeout without throwing a pitch?  ha ha, that seems silly.  

In a way it does seem silly but 8 seconds is plenty of time to get into the box. If a player knows the rule than it is pretty simple to follow. It also works both ways. if a pitcher has a 3-2 count and doesn't get a pitch off within 15 seconds, then it would be a walk, with men on within 20 seconds. 

52 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In a way it does seem silly but 8 seconds is plenty of time to get into the box. If a player knows the rule than it is pretty simple to follow. It also works both ways. if a pitcher has a 3-2 count and doesn't get a pitch off within 15 seconds, then it would be a walk, with men on within 20 seconds. 

I get that, but I don't think a pitcher should get a strikeout for it.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is not starting off right for the Mets. Edwin Diaz, their star closer, got hurt in his team's celebration of a win against the top team Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic. 

It seems to be a major injury. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

It is not starting off right for the Mets. Edwin Diaz, their star closer, got hurt in his team's celebration of a win against the top team Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic. 

It seems to be a major injury. 

Tore his patellar tendon in right knee. Will likely be out for season

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Yeah, just terrible. 

Yeah that sucks! I heard about it earlier and the Mets paid him top dollar as the best closer in the league. If I was a GM and I signed them, I would make my players sign that they can't partake in anything physical outside of Mets baseball. I remember when a star basketball player coming out of college got hurt in a pickup game just playing for fun on the playground. It wrecked his whole career. I will have to look up his name but players can't be doing off the wall stuff, like skiing, riding a motorcycle, playing in pickup games, 

swimming with sharks - lmao Just joking Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV

• 2 weeks later...

Opening day today. I am off work tonight, long week at work as I worked over a few days (I put in 50 hours on this pay period which is Friday-Thursday) so I could get today/tonight off. Time to enjoy myself and watch baseball all day. I just put in an order at Wingstop for 20 hot Wings and a large basket of Fries. I have my 6 pack of strong beer as well, so I ready.

My Cubs open up against the Brewcrew at Wrigley, 220PM EST time.

My World Series picks:

National League Champions = Padres

American League Champions = Blue Jays

World Champions = Padres

I love everything about the Padres. They have solid hitting and pitching. The Blue Jays are a good team in most area's and I thought I would pick someone different to win the AL. 

Enjoy everyone.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs win 4-0, great opener. Stroman pitched a hell of a game. The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

You guys took my pitcher. haha Congrats on the win.

Mets tied 3-3. They were up 3-0. They have the best record on Opening Day. Let's see if they can make a comeback. I don't know a lot of these players. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Opening day today. I am off work tonight, long week at work as I worked over a few days (I put in 50 hours on this pay period which is Friday-Thursday) so I could get today/tonight off. Time to enjoy myself and watch baseball all day. I just put in an order at Wingstop for 20 hot Wings and a large basket of Fries. I have my 6 pack of strong beer as well, so I ready.

My Cubs open up against the Brewcrew at Wrigley, 220PM EST time.

My World Series picks:

National League Champions = Padres

American League Champions = Blue Jays

World Champions = Padres

I love everything about the Padres. They have solid hitting and pitching. The Blue Jays are a good team in most area's and I thought I would pick someone different to win the AL. 

Enjoy everyone

@Lancer1 will love this prediction. I have not seen Lancer in a while. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I was talking with my friend who told me that the games are a lot faster now. He sent me an article about some of the changes. What are you all's impressions of these rules to speed up the game?

Enjoy. Take care.

Yeah it seemed like the Cubs game flew by. I like the new rules, the Cubs game seemed fast and fluid. Regarding the roster, I really like Swanson, he had 3 hits today. Nico is Nico and we still have Happ.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

The Mets are up 5-3 now. I better leave work and get home. My sinuses and allergies are killing me. I will work from home tomorrow if I still feel like this. 

Enjoy the baseball, everyone.

Same here, my taste and smell has been screwed up for a while. My allergies/sinuses are bad. I can taste spicy stuff like hot Wings and things that have a lot seasoning on them but still not at 100%. I have been eating things like hot Salsa as well with Tostito Chips, I can taste that.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Same here, my taste and smell has been screwed up for a while. My allergies/sinuses are bad. I can taste spicy stuff like hot Wings and things that have a lot seasoning on them but still not at 100%. I have been eating things like hot Salsa as well with Tostito Chips, I can taste that.

Taste and smell are fine. I have tested negative each time, including before going to work today. It is just my sinuses and allergies. I cannot take antihistamines (Benadryl, Claritin, etc) because they make me more sick. I should be okay by Saturday or even tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Taste and smell are fine. I have tested negative each time, including before going to work today. It is just my sinuses and allergies. I cannot take antihistamines (Benadryl, Claritin, etc) because they make me more sick. I should be okay by Saturday or even tomorrow. 

When my sinuses are clogged I can't smell anything which makes my food taste like Blah at times.

19 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I was talking with my friend who told me that the games are a lot faster now. He sent me an article about some of the changes. What are you all's impressions of these rules to speed up the game?

Enjoy. Take care.

I don't like them at all.   I like the slower moving games.  It is not all about the action to me.  It seems the pitchers were rushing too much.