Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

2 hours ago, Lurk McGurk said:

I echo @Bearzzz thoughts.  This is by far the most enjoyable forum experience I've had.  The Bears forums are a complete disaster, good information, but about 80% of it bickering nonsense you have to sift through.  There's a lot of good information here without the vast majority of that other nonsense. The fact that I'm here says that I appreciate what's going on here, I wouldn't be here otherwise.

While I do want to fleece teams as badly as possible (for obvious reasons), I'm actually rooting for you all to get your QB somehow without having to give up the farm, while the Bears still find a way to get as much as they can.

I appreciate that you all have been welcoming.  I can honestly say that I probably won't be around much after the draft, but I'm gonna miss y'all.  It's fun here.

Let me ask u a question. Is Fields the guy? I don't belive so but I am    interested  in what u think

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

"Everybody talks about 4 but we also have high picks in every other round and that's valuable"

Ballard definitely doesn't want to trade up

I don't think he has to. I would love to see him take an elite rush end at 4. This board will explode.

11 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Let me ask u a question. Is Fields the guy? I don't belive so but I am    interested  in what u think

I'm hopeful but not 100% certain.  He needs to be more efficient as a passer.  With the improvement he's shown I'm on board with sticking with him even though the Bears have #1 overall.  I'm optimistic about his future. That being said, I think a good strategy with trading #1 is to aim for a future first in 2024 to give you the option to go for QB if Fields doesn't show that improvement this year.  

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Seems plausible.

This is the thing. They will throw smoke and mirrors the whole time to build up stock but most owners talk to each other and they know who wants to move up. Most owners in the top 10 are not willing to trade that much to move up spots when they know they don't have too. With the outing AR had most teams feel they have 4 QB's to choose from not to mention Hooker from TN. 

7 minutes ago, ColtsUrUs said:

This is the thing. They will throw smoke and mirrors the whole time to build up stock but most owners talk to each other and they know who wants to move up. Most owners in the top 10 are not willing to trade that much to move up spots when they know they don't have too. With the outing AR had most teams feel they have 4 QB's to choose from not to mention Hooker from TN. 

I’m standing put at 4. If the top 3 are off the board, as I think they will be, I’m going Will Anderson and then taking Hooker at 36 if he’s there. If he’s not, I’m grabbing Bennett. 

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If I had to guess right now raiders will sign Jimmy G and that will take them out of the market for a QB in the first round of the draft.

They could double dip even if they sign Jimmy

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Most I would give Poles to move up to #1 is, our 4th, next years 1st and maybe throw Kenny Moore in the deal because they need defense and Kenny seemed like he didn't want to be here anyway last season. To me that is a hell of deal for Chicago and we get whatever QB we want at that point. We basically lose next years 1st.

if ballard trades next years first he better be sure its the right pick.  if its not the colts  will be really bad and we will  have to watch a team draft a QB with our pick next year .   much better class next year also we should just stay put unless ballard is convinced stroud or young is the answer long term

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This takes them out of trading up but if Richardson landed at 5 it wouldn’t surprise me if they took him.

It doesn't have to take them out of trading up necessarily. As you suggested, they still have all those draft capital, so they can very well move up. 

The fact that Smith's contract is front loaded with him earning up to 52 million dollars in this new league year tells that they don't view him as long term option. They know they can win games with him and competitive coming year, so they're paying him. 

They can easily draft a QB, even moving up from #5, and make the rookie sit and learn for a year. After a huge cap number this year for Geno, it will be easier to trade or release him after a year or two and not have much dead cap money issues for Seahawks. And, if the rookie comes along very well, it will be a perfect transition to their franchise QB while Geno would've served his bridge QB role very well. 

As for Geno, his career earnings is around 18 million dollars in last 10 years, and he gets to multiply many fold in coming years. It's great career boost for him. 

None of us know for sure obviously, but it would be a really bad look for Poles if he's making all of this stuff up.  If he doesn't come away with anything close to what he says he's getting offered, the fan base is p'ed off, he looks like a fool to his employers, and he loses credibility with other GM's in future negotiations.

He could be risking all of that, but it seems unlikely to me.  There's gotta be some truth to this.

3 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

It doesn't have to take them out of trading up necessarily. As you suggested, they still have all those draft capital, so they can very well move up. 

The fact that Smith's contract is front loaded with him earning up to 52 million dollars in this new league year tells that they don't view him as long term option. They know they can win games with him and competitive coming year, so they're paying him. 

They can easily draft a QB, even moving up from #5, and make the rookie sit and learn for a year. After a huge cap number this year for Geno, it will be easier to trade or release him after a year or two and not have much dead cap money issues for Seahawks. And, if the rookie comes along very well, it will be a perfect transition to their franchise QB while Geno would've served his bridge QB role very well. 

As for Geno, his career earnings is around 18 million dollars in last 10 years, and he gets to multiply many fold in coming years. It's great career boost for him. 

They aren’t going to use all that draft capital to move up after signing him to 3 years and that much money.  

They aren’t going to use all that draft capital to move up after signing him to 3 years and that much money.  

It's not that much money. Signing a QB 40+ million is franchise money, 35+ with much less guaranteed isn't going to be that much. With the current cap situation, it is slightly above average QB salary. And, 3 years can be reduced to just 1 year with the front loaded cap numbers, with less dead money cap issues. Not very complex. 

If Seahawks really like a QB this draft, there's no stopping them from moving up or just stay put and get a QB. 

They know Geno is not gonna win multiple playoff games as shown in this January, so he's just a bridge, paid for what he did last year. As Pete Carroll said during the Combine, they would always look for all the opportunities to get their franchise QB, which Geno isn't. 

Only if Seattle really likes QBs in 2024 draft as opposed to the coming draft, I see them completely overlooking this draft's QB class. 

Just now, chad72 said:

I’m thinking Bucs. 

Maybe even titans. Once you get out of top ten it gets really expensive. Bears need players that will help them now. Not a guy they draft in two years.

Just now, VikingsFanInChennai said:

It's not that much money. Signing a QB 40+ million is franchise money, 35+ with much less guaranteed isn't going to be that much. With the current cap situation, it is slightly above average QB salary. And, 3 years can be reduced to just 1 year with the front loaded cap numbers, with less dead money cap issues. Not very complex. 

If Seahawks really like a QB this draft, there's no stopping them from moving up or just stay put and get a QB. 

They know Geno is not gonna win multiple playoff games as shown in this January, so he's just a bridge, paid for what he did last year. As Pete Carroll said during the Combine, they would always look for all the opportunities to get their franchise QB, which Geno isn't. 

Only if Seattle really likes QBs in 2024 draft as opposed to the coming draft, I see them completely overlooking this draft's QB class. 

Unless it’s Richardson young and stroud are ready to play. You are not sitting those two for 2 or 3 years.

Maybe even titans. Once you get out of top ten it gets really expensive. Bears need players that will help them now. Not a guy they draft in two years.

They’re dumping salary enough with Lewan, Woods, Dupree etc. that they can afford to roll with Tannehill till 2024 draft. But yes, that’s definitely a possibility. Could also be Seahawks saying “hey we will give you No.12 and a future 1st” for the No.1 pick. Note that this all happened before Geno Smith contract and at combine.

Experienced GMs keep things under wraps and don’t do their bidding hype in public, IMO.

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

With the way colts have kept leaks quiet I won’t be surprised if something happens with trading up and QB that comes from nowhere. Something we aren’t expecting.

Ballard has done it before with the Buckner trade. Credit to his team, but they play it very close to the vest. 

35 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Talking a whole lot for a guy who allegedly has a super valuable asset.  That's what I thought.

And yeah, the team giving up that much capital is probably sitting at pick 15-20, LOL. 

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Apparently colts met with Richardson a couple weeks ago in Gainesville. What’s funny is colts  plane was spotted in Gainesville right before the Steichen hire. People were speculating whether that had to do with a coaching hire.

CEB5706E-6E38-4624-A95A-21C8FF1BFE26.jpeg

I don’t think it had to do with a coaching hire.  More likely just doing more research and investigation on a potential draft pick.

40 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Unless it’s Richardson young and stroud are ready to play. You are not sitting those two for 2 or 3 years.

you don't have to sit Stroud for 2 years. If the rookie QB comes along well, you start him moving forward, regardless of how much the bridge QB gets. If the rookie is really good and it works out, they can even start by middle of the season. As I said, they can release Geno after two years, or trade him after a year. I'd expect his contract structured carefully that way. 

If they could get Richardson, that would look to be more perfect scenario. 

They're just in a very good position to draft a QB this year or next, while competing for playoffs. 

22 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don’t think it had to do with a coaching hire.  More likely just doing more research and investigation on a potential draft pick.

No you missed my point. The colts were apparently in Gainesville and met with Richardson. That’s why the plane was there. But at the time people were wondering if their was a coaching candidate we didn’t know about for the plane to be there. Now it seems they were there for Richardson. FWIW colts went to like ten of his games last year.

3 hours ago, Lurk McGurk said:

I echo @Bearzzz thoughts.  This is by far the most enjoyable forum experience I've had.  The Bears forums are a complete disaster, good information, but about 80% of it bickering nonsense you have to sift through.  There's a lot of good information here without the vast majority of that other nonsense. The fact that I'm here says that I appreciate what's going on here, I wouldn't be here otherwise.

While I do want to fleece teams as badly as possible (for obvious reasons), I'm actually rooting for you all to get your QB somehow without having to give up the farm, while the Bears still find a way to get as much as they can.

I appreciate that you all have been welcoming.  I can honestly say that I probably won't be around much after the draft, but I'm gonna miss y'all.  It's fun here.

After the draft, you should continue to post comments here. For years, I was the only fan from the NFC North. We now have a Packers fan and another Vikings fan as well as a couple of Bears fans now. We have had Colts fans whose parents were Bears fans. I don't remember any Lions fans. 

Anyway, at this time, which team do you believe is most likely to trade with the Bears for that #1 pick? I don't believe Ballard will. Ballard is very patient and does not panic. I have a feeling that the Panthers may move up to #1.

2 minutes ago, Farns01 said:

I remember last week some talking head saying if the Colts trade with Bears and it blows up they will be condemed to pergatory for several years.  If they pick at 4 and it fails it will only be about 2 years.  

A rookie QB is probably going to get 3 years before you cut ties anyway. You want to know what you have by the time you have to exercise the 5th year. 

1 hour ago, Lurk McGurk said:

None of us know for sure obviously, but it would be a really bad look for Poles if he's making all of this stuff up.  If he doesn't come away with anything close to what he says he's getting offered, the fan base is p'ed off, he looks like a fool to his employers, and he loses credibility with other GM's in future negotiations.

He could be risking all of that, but it seems unlikely to me.  There's gotta be some truth to this.

i just dont see how any of these QBS are cant miss prospects they all have flaws .     looking back at the draft of 2020  is telling because herbert tua both fell past the one and two picks .     usually when a team trades two first they are close to or out of the top ten in draft order like the 49ers  when they traded for trey lance .    even in 2018 when the colts traded from 6 to 3 it was only for second round picks  .      there is a chance  the panthers raiders or falcons get desperate and do two ones but its hard to tell in this draft  .  it could go either way  its hard to tell right now because one of those three teams could just wanna tank for caleb next year who is cant miss and another one could just wait for levis or richardson .   the colts and texans are the only two teams in the top 4 that need a QB  so if your the raiders you can just wait for richardson or levis .  same could be said with the panthers or falcons they could just trade at 5 to get one of the top 4 guys . 

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I will be fine with Richardson but if they decide to sit him a year I might have to take a year off from the colts because I can’t sit through watching a retread again. Players having to figure out another vet then change to a young guy in s year or less is not good.

Steichen and Ballard value accuracy which AR15 needs work with

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I will be fine with Richardson but if they decide to sit him a year I might have to take a year off from the colts because I can’t sit through watching a retread again. Players having to figure out another vet then change to a young guy in s year or less is not good.

nonsense.  You wont give up your record setting pace for of posts per day.   If you do then shame on you.   Again.  If they don't do it your way then you'll storm off.   NO MATTER what is best for the team EVEN though you said you would trust Ballards decision 

1 minute ago, ChuggaBeer said:

nonsense.  You wont give up your record setting pace for of posts per day.   If you do then shame on you.   Again.  If they don't do it your way then you'll storm off.   NO MATTER what is best for the team 

if the colts do end up taking richardson and rolling with wintson or another vet  ballards job could be on the line if the team struggles again .  i think ballard understands that and it might force him to play richardson  if the team struggles early or take a safer pick in stroud or young

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

No you missed my point. The colts were apparently in Gainesville and met with Richardson. That’s why the plane was there. But at the time people were wondering if their was a coaching candidate we didn’t know about for the plane to be there. Now it seems they were there for Richardson. FWIW colts went to like ten of his games last year.

Thanks.  They went to Levis’s games as well.  Probably the other guys too.  I wouldn’t put too much stock in that.  

Archived