Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HC Search Discussion Thread

JColts72

11 minutes ago, DZS13 said:

Like I said before, why are we even discussing the other candidates. It’s Steichen and that was obvious after they didn’t name a coach Monday or Tuesday of this week. 

Yep.  They supposedly interviewed Steichen on Saturday.  Then said on Monday or Tuesday they were going through the decision process.  And now on Friday some have been eliminated.   

IMO, this looks like slow-walking a deliberate process that ends with them "deciding" on a HC coincidentally a day or two after the SB.   It makes for good Optics.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DZS13 said:

Like I said before, why are we even discussing the other candidates. It’s Steichen and that was obvious after they didn’t name a coach Monday or Tuesday of this week. 

That just means they hadn’t decided yet.  That’s what’s obvious.  Steichen could get it but it’s certainly not obvious until more candidates are eliminated which hopefully we find out about more today.

39 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Well, ok, then.  And I'm not that surprised.  I didn't want to post this opinion while the Wink Might Be It story was in full swing, but having watched his interview video over on the Giants website, it was my opinion that he doesn't interview well.  He doesn't talk like a head coach.  He talks like a position coach, or a coordinator.  And for a team as media-savvy as the Colts, that might wind up being a minus.  Not saying that his inability to speak well in media is a reason to keep him from a HC job.  I'm just saying that I'm not that surprised.

FWIW…..

I once said the same thing about both our former coordinators.   

I never thought Flus sounded like a HC and the same for Sirianni, who now has his team in the Super Bowl!   I didn’t think either would interview well.  

So I’m completely wrong x2!      :giveup:

PS:  Do you really think the Colts are media savvy?    What makes you think that?   Just asking?   

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

That just means they hadn’t decided yet.  That’s what’s obvious.  Steichen could get it but it’s certainly not obvious until more candidates are eliminated which hopefully we find out about more today.

That’s not usually how it works. They discuss candidates after each interview. They have it narrowed down as the process continues.  That’s with any hiring decision with any profession. They knew it was Steichen early in the week and are waiting. The guy helped two young QBs perform at a high level and will run the same offense with the QB we draft. He also has the same agent as Ballard so they are keeping it quiet until after the SB. Steichen will be our next coach 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Everyone is saying what the new HC would do for a rookie QB.

How about what he can do being a HC? 

There is a lot more to the job of a HC than coaching a rookie QB. 

yes!  have a qb coach for that.  Hell i hope they keep parks frazier for that position.

One thing about Morris.

The Rams are still waiting to see if Morris will take the HC job. If he does, they have to find a DC. The Ramd would like to begin the search ASAP.  Many of the top DCs are already gone. They are waiting for the Colts.

If Morris were out of contention I think it would leak. Morris is essentially holding the Rams at bay waiting for a decision. Why would the Colts hold a candidate in this situation this long if he's not being seriously considered?

43 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

So much for "No News During Super Bowl Week".  If this keeps up, we'll know exactly who it is, simply through elimination!

No.   The official news is not coming from the Colts.   It’s leaking out per agents and other sources.   This was predicted.   

The Colts won’t make it official until Tuesday at the earliest.  

On 1/31/2022 at 6:50 AM, runthepost said:

If Nelson wants a contract at 20M a year what would you do?

On 12/29/2022 at 1:15 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If Brady retires Tampa would be another really good spot.

13 hours ago, csmopar said:

Elaborate?

One GM said that head coaches now a days are elected and not selected.  You know the hot name and that is why so many of them fail.  I know nothing about Stiechen, but he goes with the elected not selected.  I know nothing about him and he maybe Patton in terms of leadership, but i just hope he is just not a sexy pick. We shall c if he is the guy. This is such an important hire for both Ballard and Irsay. What happens if this hire is an epic fail? I doubt Ballard will ever recover and his name will basically be mud in the NFL community. Just think of the hiring process and how exhaustive it has been. This coach fails and it will not be pretty for Irsay and Ballard.  If the coach fails , the rookie QB , if we draft one, will   most likely   flamed out.  I think that is why Ballard and Irsay are taking their time. This hire is going to have long term consequences if it does not work out.

1 minute ago, t-rex said:

One thing about Morris.

The Rams are still waiting to see if Morris will take the HC job. If he does, they have to find a DC. The Ramd would like to begin the search ASAP.  Many of the top DCs are already gone. They are waiting for the Colts.

If Morris were out of contention I think it would leak. Morris is essentially holding the Rams at bay waiting for a decision. Why would the Colts hold a candidate in this situation this long if he's not being seriously considered?

I think that’s why we are learning about the rejections now.  They have finally made a decision.  It took them this long.

1 minute ago, t-rex said:

One thing about Morris.

Im sure they have some kind of plan in place in the case he is selected as head coach. The Rams GM hasnt done his job if not.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

No.   The official news is not coming from the Colts.   It’s leaking out per agents and other sources.   This was predicted.   

The Colts won’t make it official until Tuesday at the earliest.  

Yes. No leaks from the Colts. They are informing candidates through back channels. The candidate's agents are releasing the news.

This DOES PROVE that earlier in the week no decision had been made, which is what they said.

Give the Colts credit. They said it would be mid February. They said earlier this week no decision had yet been made. They were 100% honest, both times.

6 minutes ago, t-rex said:

One thing about Morris.

To have a defense against the * activist media types will certainly bring.  

Just now, t-rex said:

Yes. No leaks from the Colts. They are informing candidates through back channels. The candidate's agents are releasing the news.

This DOES PROVE that earlier in the week no decision had been made, which is what they said.

Give the Colts credit. They said it would be mid February. They said earlier this week no decision had yet been made. They were 100% honest, both times.

Thank you. 

Hope people here will read this.   Hope you get a large number of likes.   Sorry I can’t give you more than one.    :worthy:

16 minutes ago, t-rex said:

Not in the least. 

Irsay and Ballard are making the decision.  They could easily not be telling anybody else.  Then next Tuesday after the Monday SB postmortem discussion plays out on the media outlets, they tell the people in the FO, the agents, and the media who the HC is....and to everybody it looks like they didn't make the decision 6 weeks ago before they even began interviews.

Its a process that holds up in court.  As long as Ballard and Irsay keep quiet.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This would play better if you posted it AFTER Saturday is introduced.   What happens if he’s not? 

It may not age well but I have a gut feeling it will be Jeff and then this place will do this Explosion Explode GIF by Minnesota State University Moorhead- if it is Jeff, I will still watch and hope we draft a QB that can lead the way. I love the Colts regardless.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It may not age well but I have a gut feeling it will be Jeff and then this place will do this Explosion Explode GIF by Minnesota State University Moorhead- if it is Jeff, I will still watch and hope we draft a QB that can lead the way. I love the Colts regardless.

Will be such reaction for sure. Maybe 140 pages or more when this happens.

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Not in the least. 

Irsay and Ballard are making the decision.  They could easily not be telling anybody else.  Then next Tuesday after the Monday SB postmortem discussion plays out on the media outlets, they tell the people in the FO, the agents, and the media who the HC is....and to everybody it looks like they didn't make the decision 6 weeks ago before they even began interviews.

Its a process that holds up in court.  As long as Ballard and Irsay keep quiet.

Your imagination is working overtime! 

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If it ends up Saturday, then I'm convinced Saturday has naked pictures of Jim and is threatening to post them on Twitter if he doesn't get the job.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I won’t be very happy with Glenn or Bisaccia. I am fine with Steichen or Morris. Would prefer Steichen.

Morris

Steichen

Callahan

Glenn

Bieniemy

Saturday

Martindale

Bisaccia

Evero

Kafka

I hope its not Bisacca, Glenn or Saturday.

Archived