Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dakich says the word from Indy reporters is......

LJpalmbeacher2

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I speculated in another thread that maybe firing Reich and keeping Ballard is a sign of trust in Ballard, and maybe Irsay is admitting that they should have done it Ballard's way all along. Totally speculation from my own mind, and not a rumor.

My point is that we don't know that Irsay doesn't trust Ballard. Maybe it looks that way because Irsay's fingerprints have been all over recent decisions, but it's possible that Irsay has realized that Ballard is the only one who had the right idea at QB over the last 2-3 years.

That actually a good point. Ballard still can’t be forgiven for the oline holes. But I personally think Ryan is so bad that it’s making it worse then it is.

Could of traded for Foles as your vet and went after fields. Foles just would of been insurance in case you weren’t able to get Fields. Then they don’t trade for Carson.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I speculated in another thread that maybe firing Reich and keeping Ballard is a sign of trust in Ballard, and maybe Irsay is admitting that they should have done it Ballard's way all along. Totally speculation from my own mind, and not a rumor.

My point is that we don't know that Irsay doesn't trust Ballard. Maybe it looks that way because Irsay's fingerprints have been all over recent decisions, but it's possible that Irsay has realized that Ballard is the only one who had the right idea at QB over the last 2-3 years.

thats why for me its hard to say just fire ballard . i have no clue what is going on behind the scenes .  it could of been irsay telling ballard this team is ready to compete after the 2019 season .  frank wanted rivers and wentz and irsay could of pushed for ryan .  irsay was convinced all we needed was a veteran QB to make checkdowns to be a contender .   ballard is not a big free agent guy he loves building through the draft so why is he not trading down in the draft ?   i have a bad feeling his hands are tied by jim being convinced in matt ryan , and carson wentz

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That actually a good point. Ballard still can’t be forgiven for the oline holes. But I personally think Ryan is so bad that it’s making it worse then it is.

Could of traded for Foles as your vet and went after fields. Foles just would of been insurance in case you weren’t able to get Fields. Then they don’t trade for Carson.

So maybe keeping Ballard like you said would be Irsay also apologizing for forcing him into a bad QB too.

I mean, these are just a bunch of what-ifs, with the benefit of hindsight. It was pretty clear when they traded for Wentz that they were out of the QB draft market, and why.

21 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

The gm for the Titans Jon Robinson just got fired after six WINNING seasons and practically OWNING the division but top brass said that's WASN'T good enough because they're STRIVING for more. Trading AJ Brown to Philly and then have him return with a big game was not a good look either.

Just think OUR gm has a LOSING record in SIX YEARS, has NEVER won that SAME division, has maneuvered the Colts to be ranked 31st in the league BUT that's good enough for OUR owner (who PREACHES about greatness) and some Ballard fans for the "GOOD" job he's done!!! Wow... :facepalm:

I wonder if the reason yhe Titans firing their GM is to possibly create a opening for a possible Payton hire????

But if that's so, what about Vrabel. He seems to be a pretty good coach. I think I like him better than Saturday as a HC haha.

But I think it must be more than one move that the front office didn't like. But it weird firing a GM that's in first place that wins the division ever year and doing during the season.

Irsay would have extended his contract about 5 times by now. :funny:

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

thats why for me its hard to say just fire ballard . i have no clue what is going on behind the scenes .  it could of been irsay telling ballard this team is ready to compete after the 2019 season .  frank wanted rivers and wentz and irsay could of pushed for ryan .  irsay was convinced all we needed was a veteran QB to make checkdowns to be a contender .   ballard is not a big free agent guy he loves building through the draft so why is he not trading down in the draft ?   i have a bad feeling his hands are tied by jim being convinced in matt ryan , and carson wentz

You would think with how much he values the draft he would be all in drafting a QB. Some have speculated that his own words make it seem he is scared to take one because it starts the clock on his job. Succeed he stays a long time. If he fails he gets fired.

I mean, these are just a bunch of what-ifs, with the benefit of hindsight. It was pretty clear when they traded for Wentz that they were out of the QB draft market, and why.

I understand why they did it. But your right looking back there was other options to see what happened in draft. And like you said maybe Ballard’s hands were tied. 

3 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

Why were the Colts linked to Rivers? Reich. Why were they linked to Wentz? Also Reich. I'd say the fallout from those decisions reflects more directly on Reich than anyone else.

3 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I wonder if the reason yhe Titans firing their GM is to possibly create a opening for a possible Payton hire????

But if that's so, what about Vrabel. He seems to be a pretty good coach. I think I like him better than Saturday as a HC haha.

But I think it must be more than one move that the front office didn't like. But it weird firing a GM that's in first place that wins the division ever year and doing during the season.

I actually like Vrabel better than Payton at this point. There are some good GM candidates out there for the Titans. Mike Borgonzi would be very dangerous to the Colts if the Titans offered him a GM job. I could also see them offer Dodds or Brown a GM job out of spite to the Colts though and steal some of our scouts to bring to Tennessee.

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Their coach isn’t going anywhere. In fact they said he will have more control with this firing. There was a power struggle and Mike won.

Just now, Superman said:

Why were the Colts linked to Rivers? Reich. Why were they linked to Wentz? Also Reich. I'd say the fallout from those decisions reflects more directly on Reich than anyone else.

that is probably why he is fired .  frank and irsay were close so they could of over powered ballard .   frank alone doesnt have the power to force trades or free agents unless he is running to irsay to bypass ballard .   frank even pushed for draft picks i know granson is franks pick .

Rivers worked well. I think the flash point is him not coming back for year 2. If he had come back for year two their would be no Carson and they would have drafted fields or at least tried. 

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Irsay plans on bringing Ballard back AND give Saturday the HC gig going forward.

He also said if that happens it just goes along with  what he's been saying for years that the Colts ARE NOT INTERESTED IN WINNING. 

Duh lol

But Saturday botching the not calling time out vs Steelers and the 4th quarter implosion vs Cowboys will make it a more difficult sale to the fans. 

He says irsay needs for Saturday win a game or two more to make it a better sale to the fans. 

Dakich may be a blow hard and difficult to like to most BUT he tells it like he sees it.

So if this true. Moving forward we have a GM who  is below 500 and has constructed  a flawed team. The team  lacks little talent  at the premium positions.  Saturday has never coached and he is going to use the Colts as the  means of getting that experience and that make take 5 years or so. So Ballard  has failed after 6 years and now we give him a 2nd chance and will wait till Saturday evolves into a NFL coach.  So when it is all said and done.   U   could have put your  kid in kindergarten when Ballard took over and when he is finally fired , your kid  will be well into high school. What a joke. U know looking back. It makes me really think how good of a job Polian did. Manning was key but I think people need to realize how he was probably good at putting Irsay in his corner where he belonged. Irsay is totally off his rocker. If he keeps Ballard and Saturday, it is going to screw up this org for years . JohnRobinson gets fired from the  Titans and he is a hell of  a lot  better than Ballard.

Rivers worked well. I think the flash point is him not coming back for year 2. If he had come back for year two their would be no Carson and they would have drafted fields or at least tried. 

The Rivers situation in 2020 is probably the hole in my theory. Unlike Wentz, having Rivers doesn't stop you from drafting the next guy, or at least it shouldn't. And Ballard traded his 1st two months before the draft to get Buckner, thereby effectively killing any shot at drafting anyone in 2020, other than Love if he dropped, or Eason in the 4th like he wound up doing. 

But still, it's pretty obvious that Reich was the primary catalyst for the Rivers and Wentz decisions.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I actually like Vrabel better than Payton at this point. There are some good GM candidates out there for the Titans. Mike Borgonzi would be very dangerous to the Colts if the Titans offered him a GM job. I could also see them offer Dodds or Brown a GM job out of spite to the Colts though and steal some of our scouts to bring to Tennessee. 

Yeah Vrabel is good, and he hasn't had a HOF QB like Payton has.

I don't think being a NFL GM is as hard as other executive jobs in sports. 

I think a good HC is more important.

11 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

now you are changing the quote it said 

Then after that part the reporter suggests reasons why but that is all speculations

"expressed their reservations"...

Sounds like normal candidate discussion.

I've hired 100s of people. Sometimes there are obvious "best choice" candidates, but most times, there are multiple opinions/choices. I normally have directors and VPs join in on any "management" hire. And normally I already know who will choose. If the choices are both internal and external, my predictions are very good lol. Everyone has favs, and are predictable. 

The Rivers situation in 2020 is probably the hole in my theory. Unlike Wentz, having Rivers doesn't stop you from drafting the next guy, or at least it shouldn't. And Ballard traded his 1st two months before the draft to get Buckner, thereby effectively killing any shot at drafting anyone in 2020, other than Love if he dropped, or Eason in the 4th like he wound up doing. 

But still, it's pretty obvious that Reich was the primary catalyst for the Rivers and Wentz decisions.

The speculation around rivers was Ballard told him he wanted to see the QB market before bringing him back and he said nope and retired. There has been no verification of that.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What worries me about Ballard and taking a QB is he likes traits and would go after a guy like Richardson. That is such a huge risk. 

i will take anything at this point just to get a rookie QB  instead of a old veteran .   i want will levis but he is a huge risk aswell i dont think there is a sure fire QB in this draft like a luck or burrow  .  herbert was a risk too so many people said he was gonna be a bust same with mahomes and allen .  at some point you have to just take that risk . if the colts cant out bid other teams to get that top 3 pick i would be fine with richardson because he is the 4th best QB in the draft .  its better then nothing

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Levis or Richardson. Depending on the round.

I don’t think Levis is that big a risk. Richardson college accuracy is 53 percent.  Really bad. That usually doesn’t get fixed very much at the next level. Josh Allen is the exception .

Just now, richard pallo said:

Jim trusts the GM.  That’s seems to be where he is.

I don’t take anything he says serious. We will find out when the season ends.

The speculation around rivers was Ballard told him he wanted to see the QB market before bringing him back and he said nope and retired. There has been no verification of that.

I don't believe that. If anything, they weren't going to pay him $25m again. I think Rivers was ready to retire, and that was that. In fact, most reporting has been that the Colts wanted him to stay.

i will take anything at this point just to get a rookie QB  instead of a old veteran .   i want will levis but he is a huge risk aswell i dont think their is a sure fire QB in this draft like a luck or burrow  .  herbert was a risk too so many people said he was gonna be a bust same with mahomes and allen .  at some point you have to just take that risk . if the colts cant out bid other teams to get that top 3 pick i would be fine with richardson because he is the 4th best QB in the draft .  its better then nothing

I just don’t like Richardsons accuracy. It’s horrible. Improving that in the nfl when windows are smaller rarely happens.

Just now, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Yeah Vrabel is good, and he hasn't had a HOF QB like Payton has.

I don't think being a NFL GM is as hard as other executive jobs in sports. 

I think a good HC is more important.

We disagree here on the last two sentences. I think that you have to have a solid GM to bring the right talent in. As long as you have a coach with a playbook that caters to their schemes, the talent can overcome an average/below average coach if the team is good enough (especially at the right positions).

Ballard's 2018 and 2020 years proved this IMO. Once the QB play went down, the coaching couldn't make up for it. Now with a bad O-Line, no amount of coaching can help on offense. 

Just me, but if I have to have one of the two be great, it's the GM, and I'll find a passable coach to coach my elite talent.

I don’t think Levis is that big a risk. Richardson college accuracy is 53 percent.  Really bad. That usually doesn’t get fixed very much at the next level. Josh Allen is the exception .

I don’t take anything he says serious. We will find out when the season ends.

levis has flaws  he had a down year and played some horrible games .  no QB in the draft is perfect except elway or luck coming out even manning had flaws  so many people picked leaf as the better prospect .   i was watching the story on the leaf manning debate in 1998 scouts were saying if manning's father didnt play in the nfl he would be a third round pick  and was overrated .

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I just don’t like Richardsons accuracy. It’s horrible. Improving that in the nfl when windows are smaller rarely happens.

it depends on what type of player richardson is i havent seen much of him . is he in a deep passing offense where he takes risks and slings it .    tons of game managers have really high completion percentage because they take no risks and only throw safe check downs .    i know luck had a bad completion percentage his first year from bruce arians deep ball offense .

Just now, coming on strong said:

levis has flaws  he had a down year and played some horrible games .  no QB in the draft is perfect except elway or luck coming out even manning had flaws  so many people picked leaf as the better prospect .   i was watching the story on the leaf manning debate in 1998 scouts were saying if manning's father didnt play in the nfl he would be a third round pick  and was overrated .

I don’t need a perfect prospect. But that accuracy thing is one thing I just can’t get over in Richardson. Destin adams just l posted this thread on Richardson and why he is worth the risk.

He has more comments in his thread.

it depends on what type of player richardson is i havent seen much of him . is he in a deep passing offense where he takes risks and slings it .    tons of game managers have really high completion percentage because they take no risks and only throw safe check downs .    i know luck had a bad completion percentage his first year from bruce arians deep ball offense .

According to Destin it’s more the system that Dioes not play to his strengths.

4 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I mean Robinson wasn't a good drafter, yeah he hit with Henry, Jefferson, and Brown but traded Brown for Burks who isn't looking nearly as good. Caleb Farley has a pff of 42.5, Idk if the OT Wilson from 2020 is even in the league anymore. not to mention 2017 first-round wideout Corey Davis and first-round cornerback Adoree' Jackson both not on the team anymore.

Honestly I give more credit to Vrabel, and how he gets the best out of his players. 

Here we go... Q was already considered a generational type coming out of college. JT led the nation in rushing. He dropped because he had a lot of carries and a lot of mileage which scared some teams off. Pittman was a top receiver at USC but lacked nfl burst.

Outside of Leonard who was unknown at the time but exploded on the nfl scene I would say that most of Ballard's picks are overachievers and OVERVALUED in general. He's not changing the wheel like a Polian who drafted many HOF players or ones that soon will be. I ask you how many on THIS roster that he's drafted have that potential? Q or Leonard maybe and their outlook long term appears sketchy due to recent surgeries.

I like Jeff Saturday.   I hope he remains within the organization.   I’d like to see him remain in the organization.   Not as the Head Coach.    But perhaps as Senior Aide to the Owner.   He can sit in Irsay’s box in games and tell him what he sees.

But I don’t see a future NFL head coach.  I think the organization and Irsay would take a tremendous hit if Irsay hires him permanently.   I hope that doesn’t happen. 

17 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

Here we go... Q was already considered a generational type coming out of college. JT led the nation in rushing. He dropped because he had a lot of carries and a lot of mileage which scared some teams off. Pittman was a top receiver at USC but lacked nfl burst.

Outside of Leonard who was unknown at the time but exploded on the nfl scene I would say that most of Ballard's picks are overachievers and OVERVALUED in general. He's not changing the wheel like a Polian who drafted many HOF players or ones that soon will be. I ask you how many on THIS roster that he's drafted have that potential? Q or Leonard maybe and their outlook long term appears sketchy due to recent surgeries.

so you are not counting taylor pittman or nelson as good picks because they were well known in college ?   that doesnt make sense so ballard is bad because he is not drafting under the radar guys and turning them into hall of famers ?  that seems unfair .  i still think grover leonard nelson pittman taylor pierce woods paye have high ceilings and are good picks  paye was on pace for 10 sacks before he got hurt he had like 4 sack in 6 games .   he will be good so will woods and pierce roders also is the 3rd rank corner back in the nfl right now .  rock ya sin is balling out with the raiders also  franklin is close to leading the nfl in tackles he is playing amazing this year speed also is playing very well top ten in pff rankings bobby is also a very good linebacker

.  smith was playing elite going a whole season without a sack  before he fell off .  i still think he will get back on track and be very good . these are all good draft pciks along with getting moore buckner gilmore yannick who is on pace for over ten sacks  and i think we have some young talent at safety that will be good with time they are just young .

i dont think the team is as bare as every one thinks even the rookie left tackle played very good against dallas his pff rankings are getting better every week .  i think players are losing faith in the system and a bringing in a top tier offensive line coach and a right guard could make a difference .   i just think matt ryan has played so bad it makes the team look horrible . when your QB has 14 picks and 13 fumbles withh only ten touchdowns you cant win .   look at the broncos if their offense averaged 19 points a game they would have 9 wins right now .  all of that is on russell wilson QBs define games take mahomes off the chiefs they would be a 2 win team same with the bills .    we are being hyper critical of the roster because the QB is so bad . i think if you drop a top 5 QB on this rosters its a playoff team

Archived