Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could this be a option at QB?


Restinpeacesweetchloe
 Share

Recommended Posts

A situation to watch in SF. I have to believe SF is probably a heavy favorite to make it to the SB out of the NFC. During the next pick series Ballard had one of the highest cards you can give a player for Lance. The kid is pretty high character. How do they not bring  Jimmy back  if he takes them to a SB. Players love him. I normally would say draft your own guy but Lance doesn’t have the bad baggage. They would simply trade him because Jimmy stepped up. Not that he played bad.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, #12. said:

It may not be easy to draft a QB in 2023, but I can't see them going for any type of retread,  reclamation project or whatever category Lance may fall under.  They have to get out of the revolving door and invest in and develop a draft pick.  

In this case I don’t think it is a retread or a reclamation project. They wouldn’t trade Lance because he isn’t cutting it. He has only played two games I believe. It would simply be because Jimmy has stepped up. This would be different then then taking a chance on say if the jets traded Wilson. That would be a hard no for me.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some may find this interesting...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/11/23/chad-kelly-thinks-he-could-start-for-50-percent-of-the-nfls-teams/

 

Quarterback Chad Kelly recently came off the bench to win the Grey Cup for the Toronto Argonauts. Whether he ends up back on the bench for 2023 remains to be seen.

Regardless, Kelly believes he wouldn’t be on the bench for half of the teams in the NFL.

Appearing on Pardon My Take, the nephew of Hall of Famer Jim Kelly said he could start over 50 percent of the NFL’s current starting quarterbacks.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Some may find this interesting...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/11/23/chad-kelly-thinks-he-could-start-for-50-percent-of-the-nfls-teams/

 

Quarterback Chad Kelly recently came off the bench to win the Grey Cup for the Toronto Argonauts. Whether he ends up back on the bench for 2023 remains to be seen.

Regardless, Kelly believes he wouldn’t be on the bench for half of the teams in the NFL.

Appearing on Pardon My Take, the nephew of Hall of Famer Jim Kelly said he could start over 50 percent of the NFL’s current starting quarterbacks.

 

I will give him this, he definitely has swagger and confidence, no doubt. A team like the Jets may say "what the heck, let us give him a shot" at some point as backup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Some may find this interesting...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/11/23/chad-kelly-thinks-he-could-start-for-50-percent-of-the-nfls-teams/

 

Quarterback Chad Kelly recently came off the bench to win the Grey Cup for the Toronto Argonauts. Whether he ends up back on the bench for 2023 remains to be seen.

Regardless, Kelly believes he wouldn’t be on the bench for half of the teams in the NFL.

Appearing on Pardon My Take, the nephew of Hall of Famer Jim Kelly said he could start over 50 percent of the NFL’s current starting quarterbacks.

No.  We saw what happened when the Colts put the other pre-season MVP in real games.  It didn’t go well.  Killing third and fourth stringers in pre-season is meaningless.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Read an article yesterday devoted entirely to the possibility of Lamar Jackson being traded to the Colts.  They can't come to a deal and the Ravens move on.  Colts are only missing a quarterback according to the article.  Even with their current weak offensive line they feel Jackson will scramble and flourish at Indy.  

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Read an article yesterday devoted entirely to the possibility of Lamar Jackson being traded to the Colts.  They can't come to a deal and the Ravens move on.  Colts are only missing a quarterback according to the article.  Even with their current weak offensive line they feel Jackson will scramble and flourish at Indy.  

 

The Ravens would rip us off in draft equity. 3 first rounders at a minimum plus a $45 mil. per year price tag. I doubt the Colts would do that. I would rather take a chance on Jimmy G as a free agent without giving up draft capital or go with a rookie. We should have just taken the Jimmy G chance with an incentive laden contract with injury clauses for Jimmy G instead of Matt Ryan.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My true question to forum posters would be - will all league GMs treat DeShaun Watson's contract as a huge outlier w.r.t the entire contract being guaranteed and dole out contracts to QBs excluding that outlier? I think so.

 

 A day after Watson signed his mega-deal on March 18, the Los Angeles Rams signed Matthew Stafford to a four-year, $160 million contract with $130 million guaranteed. That’s a lot of money, but not on the same level as Watson. Derek Carr then inked a three-year, $121.5 million extension a month later with the Las Vegas Raiders with $65.27 million guaranteed — about 53.73 percent.

 

Even Kyler Murray, whose deal with the Arizona Cardinals was slightly higher than Watson’s at $230.5 million, only earned $189.5 million guaranteed. And finally, the Denver Broncos signed Russell Wilson, who they traded for this offseason, to a huge five-year, $245 million extension … with $165 million guaranteed. Both Murray and Wilson were given contracts worth more than Watson’s, but neither could match his guaranteed money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

The Ravens would rip us off in draft equity. 3 first rounders at a minimum plus a $45 mil. per year price tag. I doubt the Colts would do that. I would rather take a chance on Jimmy G as a free agent without giving up draft capital or go with a rookie. We should have just taken the Jimmy G chance with an incentive laden contract with injury clauses for Jimmy G instead of Matt Ryan.

With Ryan having a huge contract next season that wouldn’t even be possible unless he retired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

With Ryan having a huge contract next season that wouldn’t even be possible unless he retired.

I don’t know.  The author seemed to have researched the Colts pretty well.  Even mentioned we have the cap space to make it happen.  I think us fans like to think we understand cap space but I think in truth a team can manipulate cap space to make any deal work.  Guaranteed money is the great equalizer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I don’t know.  The author seemed to have researched the Colts pretty well.  Even mentioned we have the cap space to make it happen.  I think us fans like to think we understand cap space but I think in truth a team can manipulate cap space to make any deal work.  Guaranteed money is the great equalizer.

That would be 70 million in quarterback contracts. There is not one team that can do that.  I do think Ryan could retire though. The question is he willing to give up that money next season. But he has made plenty in his career so he might not even be bothered by that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Hooker tore his ACL. Could slip in the draft

I'd be good taking him in the second round.   

I'd be fine with Lance.   More than fine with Jimmy G.   Zach Wilson has been moved to 3rd string for the Jets.   They took him with the #2 pick in the draft.  Before that, they gave up lots in the draft to move up and take Darnold.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Hooker tore his ACL. Could slip in the draft

If Hooker has to sit a year because of that injury  will make him like 27 before he takes a nfl snap. He wouldn’t be able to go through off season camps at all even though he should be ready by the start of the season. Basically it would be a red short season next year for whoever takes him.

Just now, Myles said:

I'd be good taking him in the second round.   

I'd be fine with Lance.   More than fine with Jimmy G.   Zach Wilson has been moved to 3rd string for the Jets.   They took him with the #2 pick in the draft.  Before that, they gave up lots in the draft to move up and take Darnold.  

I would be fine with lance. I am tired of vet QB though so I am not sure about Jimmy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That would be 70 million in quarterback contracts. There is not one team that can do that.  I do think Ryan could retire though. The question is he willing to give up that money next season. But he has made plenty in his career so he might not even be bothered by that.

Ryan wouldn’t be on the team.  They would cut him if he doesn’t retire.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Id be all for Lamar Jackson, I think he is awesome, better than any other option we might have next season. Trey Lance has looked pretty terrible in the limited snaps he has had. That whole QB class is not looking great so far. 

 

On another QB related note, Wentz is back at practice back Rivera has announced he is the backup, Heineke will remain the starter. The whole Wentz for a 1st from the Eagles just looks a little worse now. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Nope. No more trying to get out of drafting a QB. Enough is enough. Time to put the big boy pants on and draft their own QB.

How do we do that when we are currently #14, and likely to stay around there with a couple more wins. A bunch of QB needy teams who will be at the top and a GM that refuses to trade future draft capital to move up?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If Hooker has to sit a year because of that injury  will make him like 27 before he takes a nfl snap. He wouldn’t be able to go through off season camps at all even though he should be ready by the start of the season. Basically it would be a red short season next year for whoever takes him.

I would be fine with lance. I am tired of vet QB though so I am not sure about Jimmy.

I'd make an exception with Jimmy G.  He is only 31 and has played well.  Only if we are not in draft position to draft a great prospect without having to give up lots of draft capital.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Myles said:

I'd make an exception with Jimmy G.  He is only 31 and has played well.  Only if we are not in draft position to draft a great prospect without having to give up lots of draft capital.  

I am just of the mind no more trying vets. The oline would need fixed if they went that route.  But you are right they may not have the opportunity to draft a guy. I do think if oline got fixed Jimmy fits this team pretty well.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'd be good taking him in the second round.   

I'd be fine with Lance.   More than fine with Jimmy G.   Zach Wilson has been moved to 3rd string for the Jets.   They took him with the #2 pick in the draft.  Before that, they gave up lots in the draft to move up and take Darnold.  

i'm all for this we should draft a LT with our 1st pick

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am just of the mind no more trying vets. The oline would need fixed if they went that route.  But you are right they may not have the opportunity to draft a guy. I do think if oline got fixed Jimmy fits this team pretty well.  

That was what I was thinking.  To move up to draft a QB would require much of our draft picks and make it very difficult to fix the o-line or other spots that need depth.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

That was what I was thinking.  To move up to draft a QB would require much of our draft picks and make it very difficult to fix the o-line or other spots that need depth.  

If they love a QB in the draft they need to do what they need to do. I would only go the Jimmy g route if you can’t find a trade partner and move up. That would be my last option.  When there is a QB you love you must do everything to try and get them in the draft. Teams who have done this because they weren’t high enough in the draft have had more success then teams who were just handed a QB in the draft. Mahomes and Allen are great examples. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If Hooker has to sit a year because of that injury  will make him like 27 before he takes a nfl snap. He wouldn’t be able to go through off season camps at all even though he should be ready by the start of the season. Basically it would be a red short season next year for whoever takes him.

 

 

That is the risk you take

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lookit, Ryan would have been good enough to get you to the playoffs with a competent O-line like he was promised. He was a bridge QB while you draft and develop a rookie, and that’s still the plan. It isn’t Meh-linger. It isn’t another vet or an injury prone QB like Lance who has already come up in another system.

 

You have to fire Ballard before the draft starts, because he’s not the wizard talent evaluator he sells himself as. He’s never made an aggressive move for a QB in the draft, and this team sucks after six years. Mid defense that can barely carry a wretched offense. 25th ranked wide receivers.

 

Get rid of Ballard and his overpaid players and get a LT in FA. You could’ve gotten a pro for the same cap hit as Foles, who was Reich’s desperate attempt to keep his job after throwing player after player under the bus. The delusion on this board is incredible. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

They save cap space as well but that said I want no part of Jackson.  I would rather have Jimmy G.  Will Levis is my target though.  If that fails I could support a trade for Jimmy G and draft a tackle with the 1st.

We should be able to get a very good LT if we can’t get a QB. I just want them to do everything possible if there is a QB in this draft they love. Jimmy should be the last resort. I am almost going to bet SF goes to the SB as long as he stays healthy.  Colts have just not had luck with vet QB and have misjudged them. So it should be so what you have to do to get the guy. If that doesn’t happen then I can see Jimmy. 
 

I can’t remember but is Jimmy a FA after this season? I believe he is which makes it easier since your not giving up draft picks. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We should be able to get a very good LT if we can’t get a QB. I just want them to do everything possible if there is a QB in this draft they love. Jimmy should be the last resort. I am almost going to bet SF goes to the SB as long as he stays healthy.  Colts have just not had luck with vet QB and have misjudged them. So it should be so what you have to do to get the guy. If that doesn’t happen then I can see Jimmy. 
 

I can’t remember but is Jimmy a FA after this season? I believe he is which makes it easier since your not giving up draft picks. 

I’m pretty sure he signed a new one year contract for 2022.  That should make him a FA.  Contract includes no tag and no trade clause.  Perfect if we want to go after him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I’m pretty sure he signed a new one year contract for 2022.  That should make him a FA.  Contract includes no tag and no trade clause.  Perfect if we want to go after him.

I think he had one year left and just redid the money. Took way less.  I just don’t trust vet QB anymore. It’s time to find the long term answer. Players are tired of it too. Going that route just increases chances they are looking again next year and the QB cycle continues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

My true question to forum posters would be - will all league GMs treat DeShaun Watson's contract as a huge outlier w.r.t the entire contract being guaranteed and dole out contracts to QBs excluding that outlier? I think so.

 

 A day after Watson signed his mega-deal on March 18, the Los Angeles Rams signed Matthew Stafford to a four-year, $160 million contract with $130 million guaranteed. That’s a lot of money, but not on the same level as Watson. Derek Carr then inked a three-year, $121.5 million extension a month later with the Las Vegas Raiders with $65.27 million guaranteed — about 53.73 percent.

 

Even Kyler Murray, whose deal with the Arizona Cardinals was slightly higher than Watson’s at $230.5 million, only earned $189.5 million guaranteed. And finally, the Denver Broncos signed Russell Wilson, who they traded for this offseason, to a huge five-year, $245 million extension … with $165 million guaranteed. Both Murray and Wilson were given contracts worth more than Watson’s, but neither could match his guaranteed money.

That’s what the Ravens are trying to do with Jackson and odds are they are going to end up having to pay up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Some may find this interesting...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/11/23/chad-kelly-thinks-he-could-start-for-50-percent-of-the-nfls-teams/

 

Quarterback Chad Kelly recently came off the bench to win the Grey Cup for the Toronto Argonauts. Whether he ends up back on the bench for 2023 remains to be seen.

Regardless, Kelly believes he wouldn’t be on the bench for half of the teams in the NFL.

Appearing on Pardon My Take, the nephew of Hall of Famer Jim Kelly said he could start over 50 percent of the NFL’s current starting quarterbacks.

kelly is a champion and a winner period .  would love to get him back to compete for the starting spot .  rather watch any one but matt ryan next year watching him is like watching paint dry

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts have had multiple scouts at every will Levi’s game so I think it’s safe to say they like what they see from him. 

i thought the same thing about jordan love every one kept posting about colts scouts and ballard watching him play .    it turns out they were there for julian blackmon instead .   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, coming on strong said:

i thought the same thing about jordan love every one kept posting about colts scouts and ballard watching him play .    it turns out they were there for julian blackmon instead .   

I don’t remember seeing as much with Love. Of course until the draft process starts and can really interview these guys you really don’t know what they are. Their maturity ect is just as important as play and traits. 
 

From what I understand that entire weed thing turned them off of love. It wasn’t he smoked weird but the fact he did that at a very important time in his career and before a bowl game. It showed poor judgement.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t remember seeing as much with Love. Of course until the draft process starts and can really interview these guys you really don’t know what they are. Their maturity ect is just as important as play and traits. 
 

From what I understand that entire weed thing turned them off of love. It wasn’t he smoked weird but the fact he did that at a very important time in his career and before a bowl game. It showed poor judgement.

there was a new jordan love to the colts rumor every other day .  ballard went in person to watch his games and multiple colt scouts were at every game .    i dont know if they liked him or just liked blackmon that much

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...