Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The path to a top 5 O-LINE ?

Happy2BeHere

On 11/21/2022 at 7:36 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Really power is the issue with issue with LT too. Rainman just doesn’t have any power on top of his known struggles with speed coming off the edge.

Raimann did 30 reps of bench press at the Combine, which was 3rd best among O-linemen. So if there's a lack of power, then it probably has something to do with technique rather than actual strength, at least as far as upper body is concerned.

4 minutes ago, masterlock said:

Raimann did 30 reps of bench press at the Combine, which was 3rd best among O-linemen. So if there's a lack of power, then it probably has something to do with technique rather than actual strength, at least as far as upper body is concerned.

The bench isn’t really a good drill for gauging power. A lot of that is about technique and arm length. Real power is different. Rainman’s best trait is really is his athleticism and lateral mobility. He’s also got great size.

Maybe Raimann is the answer at LT, but are we really content to just go with that and assume he becomes a solid dependable starter?  I do think we need to draft a tackle - and I don't care if he looks like a LT or RT.  We need more that one possible answer on the team for a starting LT.  I don't think we are going to find the answer in FA.

Would also like to get more going at the guard position.  Might be able to find an upgrade at guard through FA.  Maybe not a stud but an upgrade.

And it does feel like we need to do something about Kelly.  Maybe we are all wrong here but he just doesn't seem to be the answer at center.  

On 11/21/2022 at 4:54 PM, Scott Pennock said:

Fire either Chris Strausser or Kevin Mawae (or both) as the line has gone downhill since STraussers arrival.

Let Raimann finish his rookie season for the love of God.......he will grow into that spot as he is already learning on the fly and shows both good (physical skills) and bad (mental penalties) attributes....

Let the Penn State kid learn RG at the NFL level too and see what he's got at the end of the year. Nelson, Kelly and Smith are just fine. 

HOWEVER, if I am running the draft next year, I draft a tackle in the first round and let that tackle battle it out with both Raimann and Smith and the loser slides inside to Guard. Then I draft Hendon Hooker in the 2nd Round and get a steal at QB because he's currently injured......groom him for one year under Matt Ryan and let Ryan retire after that.

love this thinking

On 11/20/2022 at 10:44 PM, holeymoley99 said:

I think Rainman will be fine next season,a rookie at LT is never easy and he has limited experience but a quick learner. Will get stronger and should be the LT for next 5-6 years.

RG is more up in the air, Fries showing more then most expected for where he as drafted . Think he can be a swing Guard filing in but not sold as a starter.

Center-We need to cut bait with Kelly, cant afford 3 big o line contacts and Q and Smith taps us out.  Pinter is a much better Center then Guard,would like to see French get some reps. He showed out in preseason. Between those 2 we should be ok with a cheap contract.

I would also like to see French get a chance to play during this wasted season. In the preseason I thought he showed potential. 

On 11/22/2022 at 8:41 AM, masterlock said:

he needs work on his footwork, coaching can help this, 

On 11/22/2022 at 2:41 PM, masterlock said:

The bench press isn’t an indicator of NFL strength. I’d much rather see their deadlifts or squats - those require a strong core. 

2 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

a great offensive line coach can help with footwork, body position, and mold them into one unit. letting 2 guards go, reed and glow were big mistakes by ballard. it takes time together to become one unit

Why does everyone keep saying that those two signing elsewhere were mistakes. Reed isnt playing and Glowinski looks as good as Pinter. Letting them walk was neither a good or bad move. Just something that happened.

2 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

Sign a legit proven starting LT/RG and cut Ryan Kelly and start Danny Pinter at C in 2023. Also, bring in actual competition across the line.

I would almost agree with you, but over the last 2 games Kelly and maybe Smith have been the 2 that has improved the most. At least from what I've seen. Still the line as a whole has continued to regress. Still thinks it's coaching(Strausser). 

I still say that we should move Raimann to RT while he's still young, and slide Smith over to RG.  The draft a LT in the first, like Paris Johnson OSU...already has the size/strength and mobility.  Has production at a top program too...not just a RAS guy.

We can trade back into the mid/bottom of the first to take one of the QBs...either Hooker or Tanner McGhee.

On 11/22/2022 at 10:21 AM, gspdx said:

Maybe Raimann is the answer at LT, but are we really content to just go with that and assume he becomes a solid dependable starter?  I do think we need to draft a tackle - and I don't care if he looks like a LT or RT.  We need more that one possible answer on the team for a starting LT.  I don't think we are going to find the answer in FA.

I’m definitely not content and neither should the coaching staff. We did that last year at RG and it cost us. Just assuming Pinter would be the answer at RG was a mistake. If he’s still taking a he same type of rookie lumps towards the end of the season, maybe we should draft someone.

10 hours ago, DougDew said:

I still say that we should move Raimann to RT while he's still young, and slide Smith over to RG.  The draft a LT in the first, like Paris Johnson OSU...already has the size/strength and mobility.  Has production at a top program too...not just a RAS guy.

We can trade back into the mid/bottom of the first to take one of the QBs...either Hooker or Tanner McGhee.

Good idea . That way u only have to look for a LT. Pinter will probably take over for Kelly next year. I think thrCokts draft a qb in 2024. I am not sold on the top guys.

8 hours ago, CoachLite said:

I suspect the major problem on our O-line is the coaching staff in the context of Reich's old scheme. It's going to take time to correct that.

Scheme maybe an issue but have u watched thr tape that's being put out by guys like Bladinger?? They're getting abused physically.

I disagree that Colts could’ve kept Wentz even if they wanted to. He was hated by the locker room in PHI and hasn’t done much at WAS this year. Heinicke will probably have his job. But yes they needed a vet at WR and LT, and Ryan was never supposed to be the answer. He hasn’t been that bad this year. Fans are mostly responding out of anger from being lied to by Irsay, Ballard and the media.

Archived