Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When Will They Announce Gus as the New Head Coach?

Smonroe

11 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Exactly, so maybe you're thinking what im thinking. The way I saw it, was if Franks strength is play calling, if his strength is being an offensive mind, remove the other people to blame.  

See how he does. If it looks bad, he's bad. 

Simple

The collapse of our blocking from all positions is Frank's problem.

If Frank were only an avg play caller we would be doing considerably better than this. We are getting destroyed by bull rushes across the line, by failed blitz pickups, and stunts. We look physically weak and stupid, unprepared.

lol Frank.

11 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

But the way the O line is playing, with not a lot of help from the TE's, can any play caller succeed?

Or maybe I'm looking at it wrong, I'm no O line expert.  But I have to think that we've played teams with as bad or worse O lines who can scheme a run or screen, right?  Banging into the LG for a two yard gain on every first down - at some point the definition of insanity should kick in.

I'm just thoroughly frustrated and confused.  

look im no expert, except maybe in madden.

but i can look at what other teams do, especially to us. 

a lot of teams don't have a top 5 Oline, and quite a few teams also have bad lines.

from what i've learned, you don't try and run slow developing plays with a bad line. you saw it vs Jax. Also, the momentum of the running back is instrumental when getting through the line. We ran almost exclusively *outside of like 3-4 runs zone runs, draw runs. 

With the type of backs we have running from under center seems like what we should be doing. it puts sam behind the line, and makes the rushers have to look for him off the play action if he decides to keep it. 

what im seeing is a lot of gun, read stuff. Yes our line is bad, but when your line is bad, it falls on the play caller to try and mitigate it. 

Also, him being the play caller, he should've realized much sooner that Matt Pryor is not a starting lineman in this league. He finally got pulled for Fries, but thats sad in itself. the LT looks like a reach, man yesterday was tough dude. I love the Colts, absolutely love this team but yesterday was hard to watch. 

38 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

But the way the O line is playing, with not a lot of help from the TE's, can any play caller succeed?

Or maybe I'm looking at it wrong, I'm no O line expert.  But I have to think that we've played teams with as bad or worse O lines who can scheme a run or screen, right?  Banging into the LG for a two yard gain on every first down - at some point the definition of insanity should kick in.

I'm just thoroughly frustrated and confused.  

You and Frank (for one) both.

15 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I don’t believe it…but…if it were true, it would be because people would be told they’re going to be fired anyway.  And if they tank they’d be better compensated.   

You do know that’s exactly what the NFL is fighting an active lawsuit about right now right?  So if the Colts did that it would be extremely stupid and just asking Goodell to hammer them if they found out about it.

24 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You do know that’s exactly what the NFL is fighting an active lawsuit about right now right?  So if the Colts did that it would be extremely stupid and just asking Goodell to hammer them if they found out about it.

As I said, I don't believe it.  But you do know that Goodell works for the owners, right?  And that the NFL is a multi-billion dollar business. 

So if there were anything that would appear to tarnish the brand, they're going to do everything in their power to dispute it.

16 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I don’t believe it…but…if it were true, it would be because people would be told they’re going to be fired anyway.  And if they tank they’d be better compensated.   

You don't use draft capital to bring in a veteran QB if your plan is to tank. If the plan was to tank this season, we would have just gone with Sam and maybe grabbed one of the cheaper FA QBs.

I know it's hard to fully comprehend how our offense suddenly started playing so terribly, so tanking seems like the easiest logical jump. That's not it though.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

You don't use draft capital to bring in a veteran QB if your plan is to tank. If the plan was to tank this season, we would have just gone with Sam and maybe grabbed one of the cheaper FA QBs.

I know it's hard to fully comprehend how our offense suddenly started playing so terribly, so tanking seems like the easiest logical jump. That's not it though.

Again - I don't believe it.  But just for fun, I'll use your argument - You don't bring in a legitimate LT during free agency, you save money and sign a G with one game of experience at LT to be your starter, if want to tank.

Offense's tail off hard to understand?  By whom?

2021 PFF Grades  LT, 68.2; RG 70.1

2022 PFF Grades LT, 58.2/59.1  RG 42.7

Went from a decent mobile QB to a decent immobile QB, to a 6th round pick making his 2nd NFL start.

That pretty much explains it.

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Again - I don't believe it.  But just for fun, I'll use your argument - You don't bring in a legitimate LT during free agency, you save money and sign a G with one game of experience at LT to be your starter, if want to tank.

You keep saying you don't believe it, but you're the one that brought it up in this thread and keep defending the position. :dunno:

Betting on Pryor and Pinter to further develop and build on the solid play they had in limited snaps last season was a bad personnel decision, but that doesn't equate to tanking. Ballard has never spent big in FA, so this was very much in line with what he's done in the past.

If you're looking for reasons to justify this terrible season as a tank job, you can absolutely cherry-pick those, but making bad personnel decisions isn't a sign of tanking.

4 hours ago, FuedinHatfield said:

I'm drunk but not that drunk. Reich will be let go end of season. We literally dont need to suck for anyone because we're already that bad.

summer things GIF

You reminded me of the movie beerfest when they show they were playing possum and say they are not that drunk.

16 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I would have to think that is against a rule of some kind.   They would have to convince the coordinators and the position coaches as well.   Then everyone not go to the media

16 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Absolutely unethical and probably illegal.  But aren’t there already allegations made by some former HC’s?   

15 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Unsubstantiated.   Brian Flores and Hugh Jackson.   If there was a thread of truth it would be investigated 

https://www.nfl.com/news/dolphins-lose-2023-first-round-draft-pick-owner-stephen-ross-suspended-following#:~:text=Dolphins lose 2023 first-round,integrity of the game violations

Pretty sure the Dolphins have lost their first round pick for 2023 for this very reason.... The article claims its for tampering with Tom Brady and Sean Payton outside of designated times to do so..... But here is an excerpt of the article:

The independent investigation determined that the Dolphins did not intentionally lose games during the 2019 season -- "nor did anyone at the club, including Mr. Ross, instruct Coach Flores to do so." However, the NFL announced that "on a number of occasions during the 2019 season, Mr. Ross expressed his belief that the Dolphins' position in the upcoming 2020 draft should take priority over the team's win-loss record." Those comments concerned Flores, and led him "to express his concerns in writing to senior club executives, each of whom assured Coach Flores that everyone, including Mr. Ross, supported him in building a winning culture in Miami." Ross then refrained from making such remarks to Flores, per the league.

Reading between the lines, I think they couldn't PROVE that they did it, but they heavily enforced the other part to take the pick away because of the bolded part.

Archived