Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Zak Keefer says locker room not good

Nesjan3

13 hours ago, DougDew said:

He's had mid round picks and UDFAs in the impactful ball handling positions, and he's essentially being judged on his inability to make the offense look like its equipped with better talent. 

Its not like he has had a bunch of guys projected to be studs in the NFL, and has failed to develop them.

Its funny to read the game day threads, as If he would have just called different plays, the results would have been better.

"He's not using the ball handlers up to their full 4th round and lower potential!"  lol.

But Frank was given a generational left guard. Lol

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Calling Ryan a scapegoat is  not really true. He was benched because of his turnovers and was replaced by a more mobile QB. Going to a more mobile QB gives the Colts a better chance to win. 

Yes and no. It’ll keep more drives alive for the Colts for sure, but better chance to win is a stretch. You can’t makeup for Ryan’s 14 years of NFL experience, ability to read defenses, and ability to lead the team back in the 4th quarter. I’m not excusing Matt at all because his costly and frequent turnovers put other teams in the driver’s seat frequently, but to say Sam gives us a better chance to win is reaching.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yes and no. It’ll keep more drives alive for the Colts for sure, but better chance to win is a stretch. You can’t makeup for Ryan’s 14 years of NFL experience, ability to read defenses, and ability to lead the team back in the 4th quarter. I’m not excusing Matt at all because his costly and frequent turnovers put other teams in the driver’s seat frequently, but to say Sam gives us a better chance to win is reaching.

With the offensive line we have a mobile QB does give us a better chance to win. That is exactly why Sam was named the starter.  Our defense has played well enough to get wins. The turnovers have made all the difference. Ryan would be the choice maybe with an offensive line that could give him time but that's not the case. 

9 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Matt was great at reading the defense, he completed all of his passes to them this year haha 

On 11/4/2022 at 5:20 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To your first paragraph, you nailed it. I don't trust them now and I am Mr positive to most in here. It is just a bad look with what they have done. Had we been 1-6-1 or maybe even 2-5-1 and Matt just looked washed, I could understand it. At 3-3-1 and his comebacks in the 4th and OT was enough for me anyway to say lets let this ride out a little while longer. I understand he was injured last week, so I was ok with Sam playing last week but to bench Matt for the whole season, has me doing this Confused Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Exactly. If they really have a Patrick Mahomes waiting to play and they bench Alex Smith, everyone else could eat a crow. But so far for years the coaches and FO have looked like they don't have a clue to the QB position. Add to that, they couldn't keep the good performers on OL intact and let them go in free agency while preaching how they would like to reward players in house! If the whole team has performed well and FO/Coaches have done all they could, and if only the QB position is the weaklink, then also it would be understandable. But that's not the case as well. And, this is not the first time they have humiliated a free agent QB they went after to hire in the off-season and twice in a row they have blamed the QB publicly and have tried to save their jobs while NOT doing anything else to improve the team. They've also sent the whole league and importantly their fans the message that they've given up on the season, by protecting the 6th round drafted QB on fire with not much help in the games. How long would it take now for them to blame the young QB and destroy his career? 

It all gives a bad look for the organization, fans have tried to romanticize the young QB playing well but basically this just means the season is lost now when it wasnt at 3-3-1.

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

With the offensive line we have a mobile QB does give us a better chance to win. That is exactly why Sam was named the starter.  Our defense has played well enough to get wins. The turnovers have made all the difference. Ryan would be the choice maybe with an offensive line that could give him time but that's not the case. 

Sam being named the starter was less about what Sam can do an more about what Ryan couldn’t do, which was not turn the ball over frequently. His athleticism just happens to be one of the benefits of him starting. But the benching had everything to do with Matt Ryan’s poor play.

21 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Sam being named the starter was less about what Sam can do an more about what Ryan couldn’t do, which was not turn the ball over frequently. His athleticism just happens to be one of the benefits of him starting. But the benching had everything to do with Matt Ryan’s poor play.

I'd say it's more about OL than anything... last year too. 

Big test for Sam tomorrow. If he has 2+ turnovers tomorrow, then no difference... If he is clean, then a nice difference. 

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'd say it's more about OL than anything... last year too. 

Big test for Sam tomorrow. If he has 2+ turnovers tomorrow, then no difference... If he is clean, then a nice difference. 

Yeah the O-line sucks. What I don’t understand is why they didn’t just got after a Mariota or Trubisky if they needed athleticism at the position. Unless somehow Ballard really didn’t think the O-line would be even worse this year.

9 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah the O-line sucks. What I don’t understand is why they didn’t just got after a Mariota or Trubisky if they needed athleticism at the position. Unless somehow Ballard really didn’t think the O-line would be even worse this year.

He’s on record saying something along the lines of if someone had told him before the season our Oline would be our worst unit he wouldn’t have believed them.

He clearly thought playing two backups would have this unit improve over their ‘21 performance. 

10 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Doubt they thought athleticism was needed (during the off season)... Sam, and athleticism weren't a factor. 

Now the OL sucks, so we have no choice lol... 

And IMO, I'd bet Irsay was the "pusher" for Ryan this year after he ran Wentz out of town. So he has skin in the game. 

And the "we just need layups" narrative was just another bad call. 

Hoping Sam looks good tomorrow. Great kid. Little unfair in terms of situation he inherited. But hey, it's a chance!

10 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

He’s on record saying something along the lines of if someone had told him before the season our Oline would be our worst unit he wouldn’t have believed them.

He clearly thought playing two backups would have this unit improve over their ‘21 performance. 

Yup. 

And the whole situation is comical... And Foles... another likely a "push" from Frank. 

Chicago listed him as #3 or #4 QB for them... and he got jumped again... 

11 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

But Frank was given a generational left guard. Lol

If Frank was smart, and was given a RB that didn't turn the corner as well as he runs straight, he'd game plan a lot of runs up the middle.

OTOH, if he had Tarik Glenn and cheap Gs, and a RB with lateral agility like Edge, he'd be smart to game plan a lot of stretch plays.

16 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Foles was the right choice to backup Ryan because they thought they had a contender. They weee just wrong. 

What exactly makes the right choice?

He lost QB2 spot in Chicago, and might not been QB3 either... 

Let's be honest... he was jobless... and he was a Frank fav. 

30 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

What exactly makes the right choice?

He lost QB2 spot in Chicago, and might not been QB3 either... 

Let's be honest... he was jobless... and he was a Frank fav. 

My guess is they are similar pocket passer types. And Foles is a proven back up, maybe not a starter , but a back up.

Probably a better thread than this one, but last couple days I have been going back and forth with myself on the following:

I have been big on Strasser being the problem, probably rightfully so. Last couple days I started thinking about was was different the last couple years though, coaching wise.

Kevin Mawae?

Does anyone think his presence could be the change that has occurred?(for negative)

I haven't heard anyone say anything like that, but he fits the mold of something that changed the last 2 years on a unit that has regressed.

Wonder how that dynamic is playing out in the locker room?

Complete speculation on my end. Still just trying to figure out what happened. Lol.

20 minutes ago, SurfinKal said:

My guess is they are similar pocket passer types. And Foles is a proven back up, maybe not a starter , but a back up.

Definitely agree not mobile lol... 

Don't agree about proven back up at this point in his career. Bears demoted from QB2, and then kinda again from QB3... 

32 minutes ago, w87r said:

Probably a better thread than this one, but last couple days I have been going back and forth with myself on the following:

I have been big on Strasser being the problem, probably rightfully so. Last couple days I started thinking about was was different the last couple years though, coaching wise.

Kevin Mawae?

Does anyone think his presence could be the change that has occurred?(for negative)

I haven't heard anyone say anything like that, but he fits the mold of something that changed the last 2 years on a unit that has regressed.

Complete speculation on my end. Still just trying to figure out what happened. Lol.

I heard someone say firing a position coach is a little harder to do mid season because there really isn’t anyone to promote. But colts have a ball of famer as a assistant so I don’t think that applies to colts.

30 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Definitely agree not mobile lol... 

Don't agree about proven back up at this point in his career. Bears demoted from QB2, and then kinda again from QB3... 

The guy won a SB. If your a good team and looking to contend  having a guy that has won a SB backing up Ryan was the right choice. 

39 minutes ago, w87r said:

Kevin Mawae?

IDK.. Mawae is likely just a yes-sir guy, who helps run OL practice. I don't know if Strausser even played football. Mawae was a 7x All Pro guy. Just can't see him being the problem. And RKelly's best year was 2018. Then slowly declined since when Strausser came each year. And IMO, we ran less power/angle/man since 2019 gradually year over year. And whoever decided to shuffle the entire OL on a short week, was asking for problems... 

On 11/4/2022 at 9:35 AM, PRnum1 said:

Sometimes when I read posts on this board, I get the feeling that Colts fans live in a bubble and only follow the Colts.

The fact is we were 3-3-1 and in SECOND PLACE in the AFC South.

If you look around the league, play in the league has been down over all.  In the AFC there is 2 good teams, the Bills and Chiefs.  Everyone else is in the mix competing for a playoff spot and as bad as things had gone, the Colts were right in the mix.

If you look at the NFC you probably only have the Vikings and Philly.  Other than that a bunch of mediocre teams.

Matt was playing poorly because of the bad oline.  It was cause and effect not correlation.  It was Ballard that staffed the team with poor players and bad contracts and Frank couldn't fix it no matter how hard he tried to move the pieces around.

So yes, Matt was made a scapegoat just like Marcus Brady.  Soon Frank is going to run out of people to bench and fire.

And the comment that "Matt was benched because he was undermining the Colts chance for making the playoffs" is a strange reason indeed.  Again we were in SECOND PLACE in the AFC South.

So we're increasing our chances of making the playoffs by putting in a 6th round backup who's ceiling is a career backup ?  This is going to improve our chances ??? Really ?

The league across the board is bad.  Ryan was bad ??  How about Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson or Derek Carr.  All have been horrid.  I won't even mention Wentz who's been a disaster in WA.

The truth is the leagues unending drive for parity has succeeded.  All teams are now equally as bad with just a few at the top.  If you follow other teams you'll see what I say is true.

But lets blame Matt Ryan and throw him under the bus.  I'm sure that will fix everything.

We were right in the mix for the playoffs and there was no need to hit the panic button.

i respect your level headed approach, but he had 20 giveaways in like 6 games.

you just can't do that as an NFL quarterback .

even if you compare it to a lower average this year, i mean he's at the bottom, way bottom. 

3 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

so was hines the locker room stir? or something bigger to it

I don't think so... but he did tell the FO after last season that he wasn't happy with his role (snaps, the way he was used)...

And the FO said all the right things (Reich said he'd take him on his fantasy team, and Ballard said we need to figure how to get the ball into his hands)... 

My guess... we paid too much... so we unloaded... plus he was unhappy... 

9 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Exactly. If they really have a Patrick Mahomes waiting to play and they bench Alex Smith, everyone else could eat a crow. But so far for years the coaches and FO have looked like they don't have a clue to the QB position. Add to that, they couldn't keep the good performers on OL intact and let them go in free agency while preaching how they would like to reward players in house! If the whole team has performed well and FO/Coaches have done all they could, and if only the QB position is the weaklink, then also it would be understandable. But that's not the case as well. And, this is not the first time they have humiliated a free agent QB they went after to hire in the off-season and twice in a row they have blamed the QB publicly and have tried to save their jobs while NOT doing anything else to improve the team. They've also sent the whole league and importantly their fans the message that they've given up on the season, by protecting the 6th round drafted QB on fire with not much help in the games. How long would it take now for them to blame the young QB and destroy his career? 

It all gives a bad look for the organization, fans have tried to romanticize the young QB playing well but basically this just means the season is lost now when it wasnt at 3-3-1.

It's not that they are clueless on young QBs and scouting them....as much as they are keenly aware, and have stated the fact, that they are afraid to take a swing on one and miss, because that ends your tenure.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I don't think so... but he did tell the FO after last season that he wasn't happy with his role (snaps, the way he was used)...

And the FO said all the right things (Reich said he'd take him on his fantasy team, and Ballard said we need to figure how to get the ball into his hands)... 

My guess... we paid too much... so we unloaded... plus he was unhappy... 

from the sounds of it he requested a trade... so yeah we also got out of his contract, but i think he would've been on the team if he didn't request it.

to be honest my biggest complaint about ballard (not that im a sympathizer, but i don't think he's the main problem here) is that he seems to have attachment to his guys. he seems to be hesistant to back out of a mistake. i was actually very shocked to see us back pedal away from Ryan that fast just due to their propensity to stick to their guys regardless of play.

there is some emotional attachment to Hines from this fan base. in reality, he was pretty limited in his role, even though I do think they could've done better to involve him. Campbell getting healthy was alwyas going to lead to Hines snaps going down. 

But honestly he was 3rd in targets... not many backup RBs are getting that snap count/target total. seems to me it was more about the QB situation and overall state of inconsistency. he is on record comparing us to TEN and pointed out the fact they've had a consisten QB the entire time. 

21 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

i respect your level headed approach, but he had 20 giveaways in like 6 games.

you just can't do that as an NFL quarterback .

even if you compare it to a lower average this year, i mean he's at the bottom, way bottom. 

He had 12 give away's = 9 INT's and 3 lost fumbles in 7 games. Where did you get 20 from? That is far from 20. He also played great in the every 4th Qtr and OT's this year with the exception of at Jacksonville. When you are 3-3-1, you do not pull the plug on a Hall of Fame QB.

10 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

from the sounds of it he requested a trade... so yeah we also got out of his contract, but i think he would've been on the team if he didn't request it.

to be honest my biggest complaint about ballard (not that im a sympathizer, but i don't think he's the main problem here) is that he seems to have attachment to his guys. he seems to be hesistant to back out of a mistake. i was actually very shocked to see us back pedal away from Ryan that fast just due to their propensity to stick to their guys regardless of play.

there is some emotional attachment to Hines from this fan base. in reality, he was pretty limited in his role, even though I do think they could've done better to involve him. Campbell getting healthy was alwyas going to lead to Hines snaps going down. 

But honestly he was 3rd in targets... not many backup RBs are getting that snap count/target total. seems to me it was more about the QB situation and overall state of inconsistency. he is on record comparing us to TEN and pointed out the fact they've had a consisten QB the entire time. 

Many thoughts on the situation... but in short... I really don't to know (in general) which decisions are Ballard vs Reich vs Irsay... On the Ryan benching, sure sounded like it was Irsay... And Reich over-targets RBs in general, so really don't know if Ballard was pro with Hine's asking price. 

Regardless, everyone is just guessing lol. I liked Hines, but hated how we used him. So sounds like a win/win for everyone. Hines will likely be used better and happy. Ballard will give some money/cap room back. And WRs and TEs will likely get more targets. And Reich's fantasy team likely will do better... 

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He had 12 give away's = 9 INT's and 3 lost fumbles in 7 games. Where did you get 20 from? That is far from 20. He also played great in the every 4th Qtr and OT's this year with the exception of at Jacksonville. When you are 3-3-1, you do not pull the plug on a Hall of Fame QB.

sorry it was 20 lost balls, i guess we recovered a few. doesn't change the fact that he is giving the ball away like a rookie.

its also spilled milk at this point. he's not even the backup. he's done, also, no one traded for the "HOF" quarterback. doesn't matter what you once were, it's a results driven league. right now, hes a washed up aged QB.

7 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

sorry it was 20 lost balls, i guess we recovered a few. doesn't change the fact that he is giving the ball away like a rookie.

its also spilled milk at this point. he's not even the backup. he's done, also, no one traded for the "HOF" quarterback. doesn't matter what you once were, it's a results driven league. right now, hes a washed up aged QB.

To be fair, WA is a bad team. And Sam fumbled one, and could have had 2 INTs IIRC. One with a deflection by the DL, and a PD by a LB (maybe it was a NB or SS). The ball bounced his way lol... Or he could have had 3 turnovers. 

But overall very happy with Sam in his 1st game. But... what happens if NE gets multiple picks tomorrow???

On 11/4/2022 at 8:59 AM, DougDew said:

He's had mid round picks and UDFAs in the impactful ball handling positions, and he's essentially being judged on his inability to make the offense look like its equipped with better talent. 

Its not like he has had a bunch of guys projected to be studs in the NFL, and has failed to develop them.

Its funny to read the game day threads, as If he would have just called different plays, the results would have been better.

"He's not using the ball handlers up to their full 4th round and lower potential!"  lol.

i get what you’re saying and I partially agree, but it’s different when it’s clear we have the talent and he either doesn’t use it or use it properly.  For example:

- Hines: 4th round pick, has shown to be one of the best all purpose players in the league.  Instead of getting him into space to utilize his talents, Reich calls numerous up the gut shotgun handoffs.

- Woods: 3rd round pick, half of his catches are touchdowns.  Instead of utilizing our tight ends in the short middle game to alleviate some of the pressure we’re facing, we just make them block.  We haven’t used our tight ends since the jags game.

so yeah, I agree Frank Reich doesn’t have a team full of high round studs.  But he does have talent and he hasn’t used it.  It would be different if he tried to use it and it didn’t work.  But when I see woods has 6 catches on the year, half of them are touchdowns, and it’s week 9, that isn’t a talent problem.  

22 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

To be fair, WA is a bad team. And Sam fumbled one, and could have had 2 INTs IIRC. One with a deflection by the DL, and a PD by a LB (maybe it was a NB or SS). The ball bounced his way lol... Or he could have had 3 turnovers. 

But overall very happy with Sam in his 1st game. But... what happens if NE gets multiple picks tomorrow???

Nothing I bet. They want to see what they have with him. That also means playing him through adversity and seeing how he recovers.

Matt is washed. At least Sam has mobility to keep plays going despite our craptastic Oline.

16 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

i get what you’re saying and I partially agree, but it’s different when it’s clear we have the talent and he either doesn’t use it or use it properly.  For example:

- Hines: 4th round pick, has shown to be one of the best all purpose players in the league.  Instead of getting him into space to utilize his talents, Reich calls numerous up the gut shotgun handoffs.

- Woods: 3rd round pick, half of his catches are touchdowns.  Instead of utilizing our tight ends in the short middle game to alleviate some of the pressure we’re facing, we just make them block.  We haven’t used our tight ends since the jags game.

so yeah, I agree Frank Reich doesn’t have a team full of high round studs.  But he does have talent and he hasn’t used it.  It would be different if he tried to use it and it didn’t work.  But when I see woods has 6 catches on the year, half of them are touchdowns, and it’s week 9, that isn’t a talent problem.  

To be fair... 

In 5 years... we drafted 3 WRs in early rounds. And a RB. 

And we only had two 1st round picks in those 5 years... 

So 4 early picks in 5 years (for O skill players)... 

28 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

The problem is when you bring a new QB into a franchise, even if he's experienced, he'd take time to get used to how the offensive line blocks, who are the weaklinks in pass protection, which RBs and TEs are better in assisting where and when the OL breaks down, which play calls work for the pass protection he gets depending on the matchups, to develop chemistry with his targets in real game situations, what are the strengths of his receivers and where he could throw within their catch radius, etc.,

These things can be practiced all off-season but nothing will replicate the true game situations as in playing regular season games against fierce opponents. Less contact drills within the team in off-season and practice drills will not break the QB down like it would happen in actual games. 

When a QB gets to a new team and starts for them, the most important help he needs from the organization and fan base is PATIENCE. 

Take for example, Russell Wilson or kirk Cousins. Not all situations would play out the way it did for Brady and Stafford. Brady is Brady and Stafford actually got out of a bad situation to an Excellent OL, and as soon as that Olinemen departed, Stafford is struggling this season. Kirk Cousins was cowering behind the offensive line For two full years until the OL was improved one by one. 

So, my point is Colts needed to be patient with Matt Ryan. 

Instead, the organization and many fans act like the team is one better QB away from winning it all. If they finally draft a franchise QB, please at least practice patience with him. 

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Nothing I bet. They want to see what they have with him. That also means playing him through adversity and seeing how he recovers.

Matt is washed. At least Sam has mobility to keep plays going despite our craptastic Oline.

If he has multiple turnovers... pretty much the same outcome... and again just points to a bad OL..

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I heard someone say firing a position coach is a little harder to do mid season because there really isn’t anyone to promote. But colts have a ball of famer as a assistant so I don’t think that applies to colts.

Definitely tough to fire OL coach during the season.

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

IDK.. Mawae is likely just a yes-sir guy, who helps run OL practice. I don't know if Strausser even played football. Mawae was a 7x All Pro guy. Just can't see him being the problem. And RKelly's best year was 2018. Then slowly declined since when Strausser came each year. And IMO, we ran less power/angle/man since 2019 gradually year over year. And whoever decided to shuffle the entire OL on a short week, was asking for problems... 

Yeah IDK either, just something that crossed my mind.

You would think between the 2 of them they should have them playing better. Coaches get the most out of their players, that is not what is happening here. 

22 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah IDK either, just something that crossed my mind.

You would think between the 2 of them they should have them playing better. Coaches get the most out of their players, that is not what is happening here. 

Definitely not happening here lol. 

I expect it is more about scheme changes. In 2018 and to an extent in 2019, we totally drove guys and pancaked folks. Once we started playing more zone, the pancakes disappeared. 

I don't mind some zone, but I prefer man/power in short yardage situations. And hate zone on the goal line. 

40 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Instead, the organization and many fans act like the team is one better QB away from winning it all. If they finally draft a franchise QB, please at least practice patience with him. 

Yeah right, rookie will struggle for couple weeks and the same posters will be saying we should of picked up,  insert name here. Actually will be doing that before he even plays a game.

Doesn't matter what decision is made. Most of the same people that are angry and trashing team now, will post that way no matter what decisions are made. Patience isn't a very good fan trait.

Usually rooting for something, even though the results will be bad for the team, so they can be right. Instead of rooting for team success doing what would make them be wrong.

That was fan aspect.

As an organization, I think it made sense. Yes it takes time to get acquainted(the reason for sustained slow.starts, but we have been through this cycle long enough. Team made a tough decision, but in doing so protected the team ($17m in 2023), and protected the player, as he was just getting demolished week after week.

They made the conscious decision that we have to find out what we have in Sam, because our days of picking up aging QBs are behind us. Time is now.

Sam and Foles/ or Sam and rookie, next year

I think the organization will be very patient with a rookie QB. Fans? TBD.

5 hours ago, w87r said:

Yeah right, rookie will struggle for couple weeks and the same posters will be saying we should of picked up,  insert name here. Actually will be doing that before he even plays a game.

Doesn't matter what decision is made. Most of the same people that are angry and trashing team now, will post that way no matter what decisions are made. Patience isn't a very good fan trait.

Usually rooting for something, even though the results will be bad for the team, so they can be right. Instead of rooting for team success doing what would make them be wrong.

That was fan aspect.

As an organization, I think it made sense. Yes it takes time to get acquainted(the reason for sustained slow.starts, but we have been through this cycle long enough. Team made a tough decision, but in doing so protected the team ($17m in 2023), and protected the player, as he was just getting demolished week after week.

They made the conscious decision that we have to find out what we have in Sam, because our days of picking up aging QBs are behind us. Time is now.

Sam and Foles/ or Sam and rookie, next year

I think the organization will be very patient with a rookie QB. Fans? TBD.

I guess we can assume that organization thinks so, but it depends on how the rest of the season goes. If Sam is serviceable for the most part, that would repay their faith but if he gets worser, I'm not sure how it would appear for their outlook. Anyway, in that worst case scenario, it would lead to tanking and would save the cap space next year by releasing Matt Ryan. If he does well and win few games but still he doesn't look like the longterm answer, Colts would only get a middle of the first round draft pick and there's no guarantee they would get their franchise QB next year so that would lead back to square one. 

It's all good, my only criticism is how they addressed the situation with Matt Ryan. They could've told frankly that they have made a decision to give Sam the start to assess what he could achieve in the profession league rather than sounding negative on Ryan. They could've just informed Ryan will undergo rehab for the injury, and would support the QB room with his knowledge going forward as they would assess the QB position throughout the rest of the season. It's the way they transitioned looked ugly to me. 

Archived