Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan played great today

danlhart87

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Matt was getting the ball out quicker too, game plan was different - maybe Frank deserves a little credit.

I’ll give frank credit if he continues the no huddle up tempo offense. Frank likes to stop dong what works a lot. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

sam puts on a show every single day   .  you think matt doesnt watch sam  ball out every day ?    sam was perfect in the preseason and you should be happy we have him .   now we can ride matt until he retires and have a real backup plan in sam

Never said Sam was a bum but he isn't Matt Ryan. I love him as a backup though, he could be like Cooper Rush.

Just now, Indy87 said:

I’ll give frank credit if he continues the no huddle up tempo offense. Frank likes to stop dong what works a lot. 

The Colts are going to have to have a plan for what’s next.  Teams will adjust to the no huddle.  They also have to get the running game going.  Throwing 58 times a game isn’t sustainable either.  Still Frank gets credit for today.  He had a good game plan and stuck with it.

3 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

We used to do that with Peyton all the time when we didn’t have a run game we would do quick short passes for 3-4 yards and it was extension of run game , get the ball In hands of Campbell , Pittman Taylor etc… quick routes in space to see what the can pick up at times to slow rush up 

Peyton Manning had Faulk, Edge, and Addai plus Rhodes.  All of which were 1000 yard backs and two were hall of famers.  Peyton had a running game.  

15 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Amazing how he played like this when the line blocked for him.  This had nothing to do with Ehlinger.  

I think it was a results of less mental errors putting us behind the sticks , quick passes to slow the rushers down cause they get tired and frustrated when they can’t get to qb. I remember this for years with Mathis & freeney. Make the pass rushers run sideline to sideline defend every blade of turf and take deep shots early to have defense not sitting on routes 

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Peyton Manning had Faulk, Edge, and Addai plus Rhodes.  All of which were 1000 yard backs and two were hall of famers.  Peyton had a running game.  

It was a lot of years we didn’t have a run game , I’m not saying we never had good running backs but it was some years when we couldn’t run the ball at all and we had to do the short outs etc… 

7 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

sam puts on a show every single day   .  you think matt doesnt watch sam  ball out every day ?    sam was perfect in the preseason and you should be happy we have him .   now we can ride matt until he retires and have a real backup plan in sam

He was tremendous against 3rd and 4th stringers who had zero schemes put into those game.  Glad he’s number 2 but some of these Sam takes are borderline delusional. 

7 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

We used to do that with Peyton all the time when we didn’t have a run game we would do quick short passes for 3-4 yards and it was extension of run game , get the ball In hands of Campbell , Pittman Taylor etc… quick routes in space to see what the can pick up at times to slow rush up 

I know why we did it. It was most likely the gameplan today. Kill their pass rush by getting the ball out quick.

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The Colts are going to have to have a plan for what’s next.  Teams will adjust to the no huddle.  They also have to get the running game going.  Throwing 58 times a game isn’t sustainable either.  Still Frank gets credit for today.  He had a good game plan and stuck with it.

no huddle gives defenses less time to line up and get set, or to make adjustments. There’s only so much preparing teams can do for it. 

5 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

It was a lot of years we didn’t have a run game , I’m not saying we never had good running backs but it was some years when we couldn’t run the ball at all and we had to do the short outs etc… 

That not true.  Peyton had a 1000 yard rusher 10 of the 14 years he was here (not counting 2012 as he didn’t play).  Of the four years he didn’t one year edge was 11 yards short of 1,000 and two of the other years two backs split handoffs and combined for over 1000 yards.  Peyton almost always had a running game.  You want to see a QB without a run game look at Luck’s career.

2 minutes ago, Indy87 said:

no huddle gives defenses less time to line up and get set, or to make adjustments. There’s only so much preparing teams can do for it. 

Teams will adjust.  If they couldn’t the whole league would do it.  More than likely what they will do is stop giving the Colts the quick passes Ryan feasted on today.  A couple of three and outs from your offense with the no huddle and you will gas your defense.  Teams always adjust.  That’s why the Colts have to get the ground game going.

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Never said Sam was a bum but he isn't Matt Ryan. I love him as a backup though, he could be like Cooper Rush.

that is my point he is so young still let him learn and bring him in games like we did with jacoby in 2020 .  it would make our offense lethal  to have the mobility on key downs .    he beat out every single QB in competition even nick foles who frank loves .  this kid is gonna be special book it .  

38 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Matt was getting the ball out quicker too, game plan was different - maybe Frank deserves a little credit.

Earlier in the week Ryan said they were changing up the play calling on 1st and 2nd downs. Made me wonder at the time if he was getting more involved in play calling. After watching the up tempo and Ryan calling out plays in the no huddle I am quite certain he was involved. Do have to credit Reich or did someone step in and insist.

The up tempo does a lot for the OL. When you hold your guy for a second or 2 vs  4 or 5 it makes a huge difference.

24 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Agreed but no huddle mixed with a decent passing game and Jonathan Taylor if he ever comes back healthy, should be better than the huddle, run, huddle, run, huddle, pass attempt 3 yards behind the LOS, punt fest we have season before today

5 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Earlier in the week Ryan said they were changing up the play calling on 1st and 2nd downs. Made me wonder at the time if he was getting more involved in play calling. After watching the up tempo and Ryan calling out plays in the no huddle I am quite certain he was involved. Do have to credit Reich or did someone step in and insist.

I’m leaning toward Matt saying the hell with it, I’m doing it

Just now, csmopar said:

Agreed but no huddle mixed with a decent passing game and Jonathan Taylor if he ever comes back healthy, should be better than the huddle, run, huddle, run, huddle, pass attempt 3 yards behind the LOS, punt fest we have season before today

Agree.  I am not saying the Colts should ditch what worked this week.  Stick with it until teams adjust.  However, teams will adjust and the Colts are going to have to have an answer when they do.  Like I said I am betting you’ll see the Titans try to sit on the quick passes over the middle that the Colts were feasting on today.  That will probably mean not stacking the box with the linebackers and safeties so in theory it should open up the ground game.  That’s why I am saying the Colts need to get the ground game going.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Something else I noticed while listening to the radio broadcast, seemed we stayed no huddle most of the game and let Matt change plays and call plays. If so, this is a big step forward for the team and something I’ve long for since Peyton

This is actually what made me a die-hard Ryan fan. Heck, I was a Falcons fan for 30+ years, and decided to bail due to how they handled Ryan. (They wanted that Watson train wreck? Seriously?)

Manning was the best no-huddle QB ever. Ryan is #2. That's why he has so many 4th quarter comebacks; when he's making the calls at the line, he wins games. I can't understand how so many coaches throughout his career have not been able to figure that out. 

I wish that you guys had traded for Ryan a year or two ago. I think that he is starting to show some signs of age, but today proved that he can still be, "the man."

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Agree.  I am not saying the Colts should ditch what worked this week.  Stick with it until teams adjust.  However, teams will adjust and the Colts are going to have to have an answer when they do.  Like I said I am betting you’ll see the Titans try to sit on the quick passes over the middle that the Colts were feasting on today.  That will probably mean not stacking the box with the linebackers and safeties so in theory it should open up the ground game.  That’s why I am saying the Colts need to get the ground game going.

Doubt they do something Ryan hasn't seen before. Make them adjust and we will have other options at our disposal.

2 minutes ago, RobertAP said:

This is actually what made me a die-hard Ryan fan. Heck, I was a Falcons fan for 30+ years, and decided to bail due to how they handled Ryan. (They wanted that Watson train wreck? Seriously?)

Manning was the best no-huddle QB ever. Ryan is #2. That's why he has so many 4th quarter comebacks; when he's making the calls at the line, he wins games. I can't understand how so many coaches throughout his career have not been able to figure that out. 

I wish that you guys had traded for Ryan a year or two ago. I think that he is starting to show some signs of age, but today proved that he can still be, "the man."

When Taylor gets healthy, we will be even better. Matt was great today. 

50 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Silly!

Why is that silly? Old players in the league can't tell who has  "It" and who doesn't?  Vets can't have a fire lit under them? Subtle moves like moving Ehlinger to #2 means more than you think. 

Lot of good young QB's in this league. I know many here think to be good you have to be of that OLD NFL QB play... The game has/is changed.

59 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Why would he fear Sam lmao . Sam has done nothing. 

Because he sees something everyday in practice. EVERY PLAYER fears of losing his job. Ryan hopefully will look over his shoulder and play at this level the rest of the year.

BTW a guy can do nothing if he's never given a chance.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Amazing how he played like this when the line blocked for him.  This had nothing to do with Ehlinger.  

so from that statement... Ehlinger could have started today and put in Matt's performance because of the line only?

Don't get me wrong.. the line played well but Matt played great. He was motivated,,, don't think otherwise

Just now, Introspect said:

so from that statement... Ehlinger could have started today and put in Matt's performance because of the line only?

Don't get me wrong.. the line played well but Matt played great. He was motivated,,, don't think otherwise

I don’t know how on earth you got that from what I said.  That’s just twisting words into nonsense.  I’ve said for a while fix the line and you’d fix Ryan’s issues.  Sure enough today they fixed the line and Ryan played like most of us expected him too when they traded for him.  There for the reason for Ryan’s improvement was because the line did a better job protecting him letting him be the QB he is not because Sam was made active today.

50 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Teams will adjust.  If they couldn’t the whole league would do it.  More than likely what they will do is stop giving the Colts the quick passes Ryan feasted on today.  A couple of three and outs from your offense with the no huddle and you will gas your defense.  Teams always adjust.  That’s why the Colts have to get the ground game going.

yes, they will adjust… but only so much. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Replace "Sam" with Jalen, Dak, Patrick M, Josh A, Justin H or Ryan T. None are Matt Ryan and nobody on those franchises wants a Matt Ryan. Every QB brings their own flavor. Matt Ryan is NOT a top 10 QB in the league.

You CAN be a winning QB in this league without being over 35. Our GM and many in our fanbase don't want to give a young QB a chance. (or want to draft a young gun).

Not saying Sam is the second coming of Jim Harbaugh or Rodgers but I do hope he gets a chance before we ship him off in 2 years.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Matt Ryan set a Colts record today. He completed 42 passes which no other Colts QB has ever done, not even Peyton.

I don't think Peyton ever attempted 58 passes as a Colt, he would have gotten 389 in 38 passes, just saying, his yards per attempt and completion were higher. :) 

Doesn't take anything away from Ryan but they used Ryan's short passing game in lieu of a failing run game, IMO, which the Patriots have done with Brady too with volume against teams you couldn't run well against. 

6 minutes ago, Introspect said:

So who is Matt Ryan's competition on the Colts? Every position should have competition on any team.  So please tell us who you think it is if not Sam Ehlinger?

He doesn’t have one.  He’s the starter.  Sorry the idea every position should competition is just a myth.  Do you really think Peyton Manning had competition when he was here?

3 minutes ago, Introspect said:

Every position should have competition on any team

Pat Mahomes

Josh Allen

Tom Brady

Aaron Rodgers

The list goes on and on 

Matt does not currently have any competition.

We are in the playoffs as we speak

If we win next week we will be division leaders and a 2 or 3 seed.

There is no QB competition here in Indy right now.

Well, I take that back. Foles and Sam are competing for a spot, that isn't competing with Ryan.

1 hour ago, QuantumZebra said:

I was spoiled by Matt having games like this in ATL. Mariota had a good game today, but he didn't even top 200yds passing. 

When Matt has a clean pocket he is absolutely an assassin. I always said his closest comp was Manning. 

When PLAYERQB has a clean pocket he is absolutely an assassin. 

PLAYERQB can be 20 0f 32 QB's in the league. Clean pockets are rare in this league. It's how you play when it collapses.

Just saying...

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I don't think Peyton ever attempted 58 passes, he would have gotten 389 in 38 passes, just saying, his yards per attempt and completion were higher. :) 

Doesn't take anything away from Ryan but they used Ryan's short passing game in lieu of a failing run game, IMO, which the Patriots have done with Brady too against teams you couldn't run well against. 

I just found it interesting out of all the great QB's we have had, Matt would break that record. Peyton obviously the GOAT or top 2 or 3, but that is pretty impressive because Peyton threw a lot. We even had Unitas and Luck and Rivers.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just found it interesting out of all the great QB's we have had, Matt would break that record. Peyton obviously the GOAT or top 2 or 3, but that is pretty impressive because Peyton threw a lot. We even had Unitas and Luck and Rivers.

Most of those guys had a good running game, the one who didn’t and I was a little surprised didn’t hold the record was Luck.

Archived