Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ok not gonna do another my concern BUT

ruf

the Oline is the problem for the Offense

it's not the qb and it's not the wr

its the Oline and the coaching i don't know why they don't make some changes on the line

after we lose at Denver we may as well tank the season and get the best OT there is out there and in the 2nd round the best G

i seen this developing in preseason and if yall remember i told everyone it was going to happen

The team is poorly coached , oline , qb Matt Ryan ball security is mind boggling. You clearing see a guy about to sack you put two hands on the ball. Matt Ryan early TO have dug us in a hole in 4 straight games. The defense I think has played well overall but Matt Ryan miss takes have give the opposing teams short fields and they get most of their point after TO 

1 hour ago, ruf said:

the Oline is the problem for the Offense

it's not the qb and it's not the wr

its the Oline and the coaching i don't know why they don't make some changes on the line

after we lose at Denver we may as well tank the season and get the best OT there is out there and in the 2nd round the best G

i seen this developing in preseason and if yall remember i told everyone it was going to happen

How bout instead of spending high picks on the D and O line, this orgnaiziron actually develop a mid round pic into a starter? Can u think of one linemen beside Stewart who has surpassed his draft position??

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

How bout instead of spending high picks on the D and O line, this orgnaiziron actually develop a mid round pic into a starter? Can u think of one linemen beside Stewart who has surpassed his draft position??

Braden Smith. 

• 2 weeks later...

The simple fact is..

Colts have won when the O played bad.

Colts have won when the D played bad.

They just beat a divisional opponent while JT and Hines were out. And no Leonard.

There’s a chance this team could put it all together and actually be a tough out.

Braden Smith has 32 inch arms...not a trait of an OT despite playing pretty well there the past few seasons.

Matt Pryor has 35 inch arms but has the feet of a G.

We have 2 Gs playing on the right side.

We have Pinter, who is a C and not a G.

We have Nelson, who is a G but apparently not a T.

We have a 3rd round rookie OT who needs development....who appears to be a beefed up TE at this point.

And D Kelly, who was signed to be the backup to Pryor and Raimann but has to start because the other two stink at the moment.

So, no, there are not a lot of options to "shuffle" the oline into the magical alignment.

1. Run more by the goal line. While the short passes worked between the 20s and even up till the 10 yard line, as you get closer, those zones are squeezed and they tried to pass too much by the 10 yard line in the first half settling for FGs. Second half, they ran it and the results showed with Deon. The Jaguars were playing for those short passes and good things happened when you ran by the goal line. 

2. Run D will be tested because like with Peyton, if Matt Ryan doesn't have the ball, there is only so much we can do to mount any comebacks etc.

3. Road game - will be harder to go no huddle, so need more silent count drills

OL, run O and run D are the 3 biggest concerns right now and if we sort those out, we should have a great chance at beating the Titans. 

I’ll be interested to see what we do next week on the OL.  I feel like putting D. Kelly at LT was specifically done to mess with Jacksonville’s game plan.  They probably figured they’d target the rookie if we moved Kelly in at RT, and instead we trotted out veterans at both OT spots.  Next week, the Titans don’t have the athletic pass rushers that Jax does.  Maybe we put Raimann back out there and put Kelly ay RT…

On 10/2/2022 at 6:17 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Can u think of one linemen beside Stewart who has surpassed his draft position??

No.  I think Glow was the closest thing to it but he came from another team and then left for another team.

I can't think of anybody on defense.  And Grover is still basically a run stopper.

18 minutes ago, chad72 said:

1. Run more by the goal line. While the short passes worked between the 20s and even up till the 10 yard line, as you get closer, those zones are squeezed and they tried to pass too much by the 10 yard line in the first half settling for FGs.

Virtually every other team in the NFL has a backup RB who is big (and activated on game day), or a hybrid TE/FB.   Our RBs tend to get smaller as we work down the depth chart, and our TEs are either pass catchers or LOS blockers....not lead blockers.

We have a bunch of specialty players....not many who are versatile...and there is no room for the specialty short yardage goal line running plays on the roster, apparently.    Other teams seem to have more versatile players.

Having said that, Frank has called three up the gut running plays to our backup RB Jackson at critical red zone times.  Once in OT against DEN that set up the winning FG, and two straight up the gut plays against JAX this week that scored a TD.

Nobody has mentioned those play calls or their success, btw.

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Braden Smith has 32 inch arms...not a trait of an OT despite playing pretty well there the past few seasons.

Matt Pryor has 35 inch arms but has the feet of a G.

We have 2 Gs playing on the right side.

We have Pinter, who is a C and not a G.

We have Nelson, who is a G but apparently not a T.

We have a 3rd round rookie OT who needs development....who appears to be a beefed up TE at this point.

And D Kelly, who was signed to be the backup to Pryor and Raimann but has to start because the other two stink at the moment.

So, no, there are not a lot of options to "shuffle" the oline into the magical alignment.

Hey man, I'm not going to over think it.  The oline looked better yesterday.  Ryan did have some nice pockets and he also got the ball out more quickly in many instances.  They all looked better and put up a nice point total against the team we posted a goose egg against a few weeks ago.

I will take that.

26 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Hey man, I'm not going to over think it.  The oline looked better yesterday.  Ryan did have some nice pockets and he also got the ball out more quickly in many instances.  They all looked better and put up a nice point total against the team we posted a goose egg against a few weeks ago.

I will take that.

I agree.  My main point was that It seems like the staff has exhausted the various feasible combinations and what we saw vs JAX is the best combo.  Lets hope that it holds up over the rest of the season.

Archived