Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training Camp: What we are hearing__on Twitter, Reddit, Podcasts, from fans, on sports radio, etc.

w87r

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few notes from NFL.com on S Cross and TE Woods:

Sometimes a rookie whom I should know more about shows up to training camp and makes it clear he's going to be a Day 1 starter. By all accounts, Colts safety Nick Cross is one of those guys this year, and he is just what the Colts need after Khari Willis' surprise retirement. Cross, a late third-round pick in April, is someone to watch in the preseason.

Colts tight end Jelani Woods was a draftnik favorite and could have been one of those rookies. But it sounds like he's struggling badly at camp, according to Zak Keefer of the Athletic, and is no higher than fourth on the tight end depth chart.

Nice to hear on Cross but yikes on Woods. I'm still miffed that we didn't draft McBride. 

4 hours ago, jonjon said:

A few notes from NFL.com on S Cross and TE Woods:

Sometimes a rookie whom I should know more about shows up to training camp and makes it clear he's going to be a Day 1 starter. By all accounts, Colts safety Nick Cross is one of those guys this year, and he is just what the Colts need after Khari Willis' surprise retirement. Cross, a late third-round pick in April, is someone to watch in the preseason.

Colts tight end Jelani Woods was a draftnik favorite and could have been one of those rookies. But it sounds like he's struggling badly at camp, according to Zak Keefer of the Athletic, and is no higher than fourth on the tight end depth chart.

Nice to hear on Cross but yikes on Woods. I'm still miffed that we didn't draft McBride. 

Not really concerned about Woods. Rooks, and specifically rook TEs need time. 

I think it's that combined with the simple fact that Ogletree came into camp much more advanced than what folks predicted. 

Not saying Wood or Ogletree will be studs. Just saying Woods has a great ceiling, just needs time for routes etc.. And Ogletree is from a small school with bad QBs, but looks like he's a quicker learner in the route department. 

The good news, Granson seems to feeling the heat, and has stacked some good days together. Reich also looks to changing his usage from all the short hybrid stuff, to deeper routes like ran in college. 

I liked Cross from the get go. Great traits and elite measurables. Not sure the Cross / McLeod battle is over though. 

Not Exactly a glowing review of Titans 1st-round WR Treylon Burks: Sounds like they might be missing A.J. Brown sooner than expected.

The Titans used a first-round pick on wide receiver Treylon Burks, but don't pencil him in for a huge role in the offense to start the season. Burks had conditioning issues this spring, and reports out of training camp have not been kind -- the Arkansas product has made mental and physical mistakes playing mostly with the second- and third-team offenses. Burks isn't the first rookie to be swimming in it during his first training camp, but you get the feeling Tennessee expected an instant impact on draft day. 

Dan Hanzus-NFL.com

According to ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler(subscription), the Indianapolis Colts are trying to ‘figure out a way to pay guard Quenton Nelson, hopefully this month’:

“From what I’m told, the Colts’ contract strategy is clear: Figure out a way to pay guard Quenton Nelson, hopefully this month,” Fowler writes. “Other contract matters can wait. That means Kenny Moore II, a standout corner who has two years left on a four-year, $33 million deal, might not cash in until 2023. The same goes for linebacker Bobby Okereke, an underrated player.”

Nyheim Hines Could Get 60 Catches or More:

Indianapolis Colts running back Nyheim Hines has been hyped up all offseason as the Colts look to get him more involved in the passing attack in 2022. According to ESPN.com's Jeremy Fowler, Indy expects at least 60 receptions from Hines. The 25-year-old has caught 63 passes in a season twice, including his rookie year in 2018. His total of 40 catches for 310 yards and one touchdown were all career-lows, but the addition of quarterback Matt Ryan should change that.

https://www.rotoballer.com/player-news/colts-expect-60-plus-catches-for-nyheim-hines/1051523

Hopefully healthy Campbell Locked into Slot Position: You can't help but pull for this guy with all the bad injury luck he has had over the past few years.

Colts WR Parris Campbell is pretty locked in as the starting slot receiver and OC Marcus Brady says they have high hopes for the former second-round pick: “Even though he’s been injured, he’s been around — he’s very experienced, knows the system very well, knows the ins and outs of it. He’s got speed. He’s strong. People don’t realize how strong he is as well. Great separation [ability]. He’s an added weapon for us.”

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/afc_notes_colts_jaguars_texans_titans/s1_17039_37763283

Blackmon eager to serve as Colts' 'eraser'

Aug. 11—WESTFIELD — It probably shouldn't have come as a surprise Julian Blackmon was the first player to intercept Matt Ryan in 11-on-11 drills this summer. The way it happened might have ranked a little higher on the shock scale. After a miscommunication with wide receiver Ashton Dulin, the veteran quarterback sailed a pass into a spot he expected the target to be.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/blackmon-eager-serve-colts-eraser-105100600.html

The Indianapolis Colts today released tackle Jason Spriggs.

Spriggs, 6-6, 301 pounds, was signed by the Colts as a free agent on June 10, 2022. He has played in 59 career games (10 starts) in his time with the Atlanta Falcons (2021), Chicago Bears (2020) and Green Bay Packers (2016-19). Spriggs has also appeared in four postseason contests.

So who's coming in???

6 minutes ago, Bolt Colt said:

Spriggs, 6-6, 301 pounds, was signed by the Colts as a free agent on June 10, 2022. He has played in 59 career games (10 starts) in his time with the Atlanta Falcons (2021), Chicago Bears (2020) and Green Bay Packers (2016-19). Spriggs has also appeared in four postseason contests.

So who's coming in???

Really surprising. Maybe Dennis Kelley Is ready to come back. Also noted they went ahead and released him before cut down day so maybe he will have a better chance of signing with another team.

19 minutes ago, Bolt Colt said:

So who's coming in???

Strange... after they had him as a 2 on the depth chart they just released. 

13 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Really surprising. Maybe Dennis Kelley Is ready to come back. Also noted they went ahead and released him before cut down day so maybe he will have a better chance of signing with another team.

DKelly is mostly a swing tackle.

Spriggs was looking for a G spot. Was #2 LG on the depth chart just released. 

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Kind of a weirdly timed move, I wonder what happened. Not a major blow or anything.

What happens with this open roster spot now?

Not panicking or anything, but our G depth was already questionable at best IMO.

And if he was one of the top depth guards, a bit concerning..... 

30 minutes ago, Bolt Colt said:

So who's coming in???

It definitely concerned me when they signed him. The guy just isn't good at this level. He was good at IU so i rooted for him. lol

Just now, EastStreet said:

Not panicking or anything, but our G depth was already questionable at best IMO.

And if he was one of the top depth guards, a bit concerning..... 

I'm not in position to judge our depth since I haven't seen anyone play yet. He was definitely one of the most experienced, and I would have projected him to make the roster unless he was terrible in preseason. Maybe he was terrible in camp? I don't remember hearing anything about him though...

The timing makes me think something happened. He wanted out, there was some issue, etc. If we needed a roster spot for a corresponding move, it seems like a less experienced player would be on the chopping block. And we haven't announced a corresponding move yet. And a newly signed player wouldn't be able to suit up tomorrow, so that kind of move would most likely wait until after the game. 

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not in position to judge our depth since I haven't seen anyone play yet. He was definitely one of the most experienced, and I would have projected him to make the roster unless he was terrible in preseason. Maybe he was terrible in camp? I don't remember hearing anything about him though...

The timing makes me think something happened. He wanted out, there was some issue, etc. If we needed a roster spot for a corresponding move, it seems like a less experienced player would be on the chopping block. And we haven't announced a corresponding move yet. And a newly signed player wouldn't be able to suit up tomorrow, so that kind of move would most likely wait until after the game. 

He was doing decent in 1on1s. He was also listed as the #2 LG in the depth chart the team just released. So camp couldn't have been bad. 

I'm guessing either

1) some other team came after him offering him a starting role and more $, and the Colts were kind enough to let him go

2) they've got a deal with Nelson ready to announce, and needed to save that 1M.

3) things got out of hand at the Red Garter 

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

1) some other team came after him offering him a starting role and more $, and the Colts were kind enough to let him go

That team can have him for less money if they give up a late round pick. Seems unlikely. That would also indicate some kind of tampering...

So, I suppose that either we will have an eye on other teams’ final cuts, or we’ll have Fries and Dennis Kelly provide the interior depth.  Looked it up, and I think Kelly only has about 33.5” arms.  The shorter armed OTs often get moved inside…

Probably another good event for Ryan Van Demark…

On 8/8/2022 at 7:55 PM, EastStreet said:

Not really concerned about Woods. Rooks, and specifically rook TEs need time. 

I think it's that combined with the simple fact that Ogletree came into camp much more advanced than what folks predicted. 

Not saying Wood or Ogletree will be studs. Just saying Woods has a great ceiling, just needs time for routes etc.. And Ogletree is from a small school with bad QBs, but looks like he's a quicker learner in the route department. 

The good news, Granson seems to feeling the heat, and has stacked some good days together. Reich also looks to changing his usage from all the short hybrid stuff, to deeper routes like ran in college. 

I liked Cross from the get go. Great traits and elite measurables. Not sure the Cross / McLeod battle is over though. 

I think we see plenty of 3 Safety's on the field at the same time and both Cross and Rodney Mc have very nice seasons. I worry a bit about the 4th S spot (Thomas could fill it as a S/CB), dont trust Watts to play D just ST. Dabo so raw likely a year away. Weatherford may be in play in emergencies though more a LB fit at this level.

4 hours ago, Superman said:

That team can have him for less money if they give up a late round pick. Seems unlikely. That would also indicate some kind of tampering...

IDK. Nothing much adds up.

But some teams do allow a level of cross talk with certain players and other teams. Typically vets that are fringe 53. 

All I know is that you don't normally release a #2 depth chart guy a few days after publishing your first depth chart.... and right before your first PS game. Again, not a huge deal. But very strange.

On 8/10/2022 at 8:41 AM, philba101 said:

Not Exactly a glowing review of Titans 1st-round WR Treylon Burks: Sounds like they might be missing A.J. Brown sooner than expected.

The Titans used a first-round pick on wide receiver Treylon Burks, but don't pencil him in for a huge role in the offense to start the season. Burks had conditioning issues this spring, and reports out of training camp have not been kind -- the Arkansas product has made mental and physical mistakes playing mostly with the second- and third-team offenses. Burks isn't the first rookie to be swimming in it during his first training camp, but you get the feeling Tennessee expected an instant impact on draft day. 

Dan Hanzus-NFL.com

I've read some similar things and was going to post it in the NFL thread. Before I did that , I researched the latest Burks' news and found that the Titans feel this is way over-blown. He supposedly is doing much better in practice and is hooking up well with Tannehill. Other words , he's making plays in practice.

Vrabel did say he pretty much pooped the bed in the pre season game last night. We shall see but I do think Tannehill will miss AJ Brown.

2 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

I think we see plenty of 3 Safety's on the field at the same time and both Cross and Rodney Mc have very nice seasons. I worry a bit about the 4th S spot (Thomas could fill it as a S/CB), dont trust Watts to play D just ST. Dabo so raw likely a year away. Weatherford may be in play in emergencies though more a LB fit at this level.

I tried to find info on Bradley's D (relative to secondary) but it was limited outside of some bland info on C3, match, etc..  

But nothing really suggested strongly we'd use a lot of 3 safety looks. 

And so far through camp, have really only seen 3 CB looks (nickel). 

Assuming we're mostly using a 4 man CB rotation, and 3 man S rotation, I'm pretty happy with what we have. Tell concerns me in that 5/6 CB spot, but I do like Chesley. Not really worried about S at all though. I'm more concerned purely if Blackmon can pull off playing a true C3 FS. We seem to have given up a ton of deep stuff in camp. Of course we don't have film to look at, but all the long stuff tells me we're far from locked down on the deep/3rd level. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Who will compete with Fields for the worst QBR in the league now?

If he did tear it look for Jimmy G to end up NY. Has some connections there. Wilson Is starting yo look more and more like a bust. Then add in the silly stuff about his moms best friend. Doesn’t seem like a very mature kid.

Meanwhile Trey Lance looks really good.

13 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

If he did tear it look for Jimmy G to end up NY. Has some connections there. Wilson Is starting yo look more and more like a bust. Then add in the silly stuff about his moms best friend. Doesn’t seem like a very mature kid.

Meanwhile Trey Lance looks really good.

Not sure what shagging his mom's best friend has to do with his maturity.

He's a young kid. Mom doesn't seem mad about it.

Fems would call the cougar empowering, no? lol.. 

giphy.gif

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Not sure what shagging his mom's best friend has to do with his maturity.

He's a young kid. Mom doesn't seem mad about it.

Fems would call the cougar empowering, no? lol.. 

giphy.gif

I don’t think your a mature kid if your hooking up with your moms best friend. I don’t care if he is a young kid. There just seems to be a lot of bad ju ju around him. I mean compare that to Trevor Lawrence who is married and settled. That’s what I would want as a QB. Not someone banging moms best friend.

10 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I don’t think your a mature kid if your hooking up with your moms best friend. I don’t care if he is a young kid. There just seems to be a lot of bad ju ju around him. I mean compare that to Trevor Lawrence who is married and settled. That’s what I would want as a QB. Not someone banging moms best friend.

Not sure what bad juju is around him. 

Outside of the rumors about mom's BFF, there's not much lol.

The whole thing is pretty silly. His xGF is the one who put it out there. And his xGF hommie hopped (dating Zach's college buddy)... So sounds like she's tossing bricks inside a glass house. Sounds more like a scorned X than anything else. I give zero frank fritters about who he's dating or sleeping with. Has zero to do with his play. And he's just not very good right now lol. 

Archived