Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts QB Watch Party

RollerColt

2 minutes ago, PureLuck said:

QB-Ranking by Passing grades last 5 seasons when you account for a minimum 20% snap count:

2017-2021:

Stafford: 10/16/8/13/7

Ryan: 4/10/16/10/13

Mayfield: -/11/19/8/27

Garoppolo: 3/-/15/-/19

Mariota: 18/22/28/-/

Wentz (for context): 5/14/14/34/21*

Rivers (for context): 8/5/17/15*/-

Luck (for context): -/3*/-/-/-

Brissett (for context): 32/-/33*/-/15

Out of X qualifying QBs: 41/39/39/

*shows Colts starter that season

Stafford and Ryan are actually pretty similar in terms of grading by PFF - which is IMO the most objective criteria out there. Some conclusions:

- I want Ryan over any of the other options. He allows us to be competitive this year and next while allowing us to find his successor in the draft, personally, I like Ridder this year, which is why I wouldn't give up our 2nd this year to get Ryan, but Ballard can choose, we have to build around a younger QB however, cap hits are increasing with us having to pay 2018 and 20 draft classes.

- I want no part of Marcus Mariota even if the Raiders add-on some picks to take him

- Jimmy Garoppolo hasn't been the same since his injury, he's a solid QB, but I don't think you can compete for a title with him at the helm

- Our QB-play has been very bad since Luck left - duh, we all knew that

- if you ignore last season, I would be willing to get on board with trading for Baker. He played through injury, so focusing on the 2018-2020 grades, there is reason for optimism - character-wise, I obviously prefer Ryan, but I think Baker might work out - if he does, he could be a long-term solution. Worst case is another one-year rental however, which might put both Ballard and Reich in danger of losing their jobs IMO

Mariota is a FA

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no problem with Matt Ryan the quarterback, I enjoyed Rivers here, and he's of a similar level and style.

But if we get him, I see no point in this move, other than that we're deluding ourselves he can put us over the top, when we're very likely a wild card team at best. I don't like his contract, the years on it, giving up assets for a 37 year old who isn't Tom Brady. I don't like where this could potentially put us. 

4 minutes ago, PureLuck said:

I want Ryan over any of the other options. He allows us to be competitive this year and next while allowing us to find his successor in the draft, personally, I like Ridder this year, which is why I wouldn't give up our 2nd this year to get Ryan, but Ballard can choose, we have to build around a younger QB however, cap hits are increasing with us having to pay 2018 and 20 draft classes.

Bringing in Ryan and drafting Ridder to sit and learn behind him is my favorite short and long-term plan.

Just now, Les Poulains said:

I have no problem with Matt Ryan the quarterback, I enjoyed Rivers here, and he's of a similar level and style.

But if we get him, I see no point in this move, other than that we're deluding ourselves he can put us over the top, when we're very likely a wild card team at best. I don't like his contract, the years on it, giving up assets for a 37 year old who isn't Tom Brady. I don't like where this could potentially put us. 

He has 2 years left with 23 and 28 million if traded - that's reasonable IMO, we might even give him an extension for 1 year to decrease his cap hit this year and spread a signing bonus over 3 years - we can guarantee this season and next, with 24 essentially being a team option depending on our other options in the 23/24 offseason. In comparison with many other QBs he's not that expensive - Wentz makes 28/26 million the next 2 years 

5 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

We are lucky we play on a weak division.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Matt Ryan is so much better than both of those clowns. You are kidding me right?

So i wonder just how much of Ryan, or any of the QB's our posters are commenting on, did they watch in 2021?

I just went to youtube and watched Ryans 2021 highlights.

So what matters. 

Arm Strength   can he zip it 15yds on target?

Footwork

Is he reading defenses?
  Mobility

Ryan looks exellent to me.
   If he were 35 i would gladly see giving a 1st rounder for him.

I believe we are digging to get him. Hopefully we have a player or two they want to lighten the draft pick cost. 

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

The only thing I don’t like is using that 42nd pick on a future QB and not weapons. Or a LT. But if the guy is there you love have to do it.

I'm even willing to trade up for QB pending who else they get before draft 

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I could get behind that idea. 

That is a good plan. I believe we would have to get to the 15-20 range of the first round. Probably our 2nd and next year's first round pick to move up. This is without knowing what is going the other way to obtain the QB.

For what it is worth

D Orlando, a Falcon beat writer was on Bob and Charlie this morning on Sirius. Here is what he said, and it is twofold where the Colts are concerned

He stated that he does not think Ryan will be moved. Not sure, but his thinking was that no teams left have the capitol, money or picks, it would take to get him, and this includes the Colts. He also said that the Falcons are trying to rebuild while still win similar to what the Chiefs did. The chiefs added all the pieces around A Smith first and then drafted MaHolmes. So once Maholmes got there the entire team was already pretty much in place. The Colts do not have that here. The team is decent but far from being completely ready.

This has been my argument with the Colts all along and why I have been banging the drum to get the pieces first and QB later, even if that means taking a lesser option at QB now, knowing that in future the real QB will come. But the Colts have been reluctant to do that and that to me is telling and scary.

That is why Ryan is NOT a good option for us. For the Colts sake, let's hope Ryan stays in Atlanta.

4 minutes ago, Indeee said:

He stated that he does not think Ryan will be moved. Not sure, but his thinking was that no teams left have the capitol, money or picks, it would take to get him, and this includes the Colts

That makes little sense, considering they most certainly already had a deal in place to move him as part of the Watson negotiations.  If a deal was possible on Friday, it's possible on Monday.

19 minutes ago, Indeee said:

For what it is worth

D Orlando, a Falcon beat writer was on Bob and Charlie this morning on Sirius. Here is what he said, and it is twofold where the Colts are concerned

He stated that he does not think Ryan will be moved. Not sure, but his thinking was that no teams left have the capitol, money or picks, it would take to get him, and this includes the Colts. He also said that the Falcons are trying to rebuild while still win similar to what the Chiefs did. The chiefs added all the pieces around A Smith first and then drafted MaHolmes. So once Maholmes got there the entire team was already pretty much in place. The Colts do not have that here. The team is decent but far from being completely ready.

This has been my argument with the Colts all along and why I have been banging the drum to get the pieces first and QB later, even if that means taking a lesser option at QB now, knowing that in future the real QB will come. But the Colts have been reluctant to do that and that to me is telling and scary.

That is why Ryan is NOT a good option for us. For the Colts sake, let's hope Ryan stays in Atlanta.

Personally, I hope we don't get Ryan. My feeling is...he's older, has too big of a contract and they want us to trade away our picks.

41 minutes ago, PureLuck said:

He has 2 years left with 23 and 28 million if traded - that's reasonable IMO, we might even give him an extension for 1 year to decrease his cap hit this year and spread a signing bonus over 3 years - we can guarantee this season and next, with 24 essentially being a team option depending on our other options in the 23/24 offseason. In comparison with many other QBs he's not that expensive - Wentz makes 28/26 million the next 2 years 

The money, I don't think is problematic. I precisely don't like that he has two years on it. What if we trade for him and we don't make the playoffs? What if he's washed up. Stuck with him and forced to draft. Not a good situation.

You look at Baker in contrast for example; He's 27 so there's a potential future, if he's bad you let him walk and maybe we get a decent 1st round pick, if he's good you can franchise or extend him. We can draft a QB in between with less pressure. Just way more flexibility.

5 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I think next years first is the important pick not to give up. Whatever we have to do to get him outside that I am ok with.

Absolutely agree. That 1st next year is too valuable. None of the available and tradable QBs are worth losing that future pick. 

13 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I think next years first is the important pick not to give up. Whatever we have to do to get him outside that I am ok with.

Yeah, this is where I’m at.

Will be rough giving up our 2nd or whatever we have to give up. But we need to keep our 1st.

Archived