Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Pats at Colts Post Game Thoughts

EastStreet

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

He was also the other guy the Colts were sneaking behind with big Q and that the Colts were running behind all night.  The Colts have some really good depth on the line now.

I hope we can keep everyone on the oline. It would be nice to keep glow and Reed. Then bring back Pryor. This oline has some really nice Depth. As much as Ballard loved to build depth in the oline I bet he wants to.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Again, it's more about balance and mix. 

Our 2 worst drives... All passing.

1st drive of the 1H, which is absolutely critical, 3 passes, and out.

1st drive of the 2H, which is critical, and right after a turnover, 3 passes, and almost missed FG.

I want passing. I just want balance. 

I just can't think of any reason why you leave your best weapon out the scripts to open up the game, or the 2nd half. 

Dear God!   Are you sure you played football?

No reason?   Do you think we were planning a 3-play opening drive?   Do you think we might’ve planned on running JT more had the drive been sustained?   Were you, or were you not the poster who asked for Reich to throw deep in the first quarter to make them defend the entire field?   We did that!   First drive we went deep.   You got what you wanted and you’re still complaining!   

Maybe the second drive went so well because we showed a willingness to throw in the first drive?   Frank scripts the first 15 plays,  so the second drive was in the plans.

But go ahead and keep complaining.  You’re the smartest guy in the room.   You’re also wrong far more than you’ll ever admit!

Dear God!          :facepalm:

2 minutes ago, IndyEric07 said:

Anyone else as frustrated with Badgley as I am? that 49yrd fg miss coulda meant the game! Coulda have gone up 3 scores and put the game away earlier, but as usual, they make us fans sweat! Whats Rodrigo up to these days!?

He might be gone if hot Rod  is kicking well behind closed doors. He hasn’t hit anything that hot Rod  usually misses.

3 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

once again, referring to my original comment, we’re talking about the THIRD Qtr when the momentum had shifted.  I watched the same game the announcers did.  JT didn’t get the ball enough in the THIRD qtr.  I myself was wondering why we weren’t running in the third.  Go to the game chat, I even hoped that Reich didn’t throw on first down again.  

They had all of 10 real offensive plays in the third quarter (two of the 12 were kicks).  He got it on four of them.  That’s a pretty good average for a running back.  On top of that two of the other plays were also runs.  Meaning Frank called all of four pass plays in those ten plays.  That’s hardly getting pass happy.  Taylor can’t carry it on EVERY play. 

Again, the Colts ran the ball 39 times tonight including 39 times on their last 48 plays.  You have to twist things and try to pick out only things that support the argument that Frank didn’t run the ball enough.  It’s like saying if you only look at the 12 pass plays Frank didn’t run Taylor enough…

8 minutes ago, #12. said:

Not in that situation he doesn't.  Run the damn ball, burn clock, end the game.

If you want Wentz to pass, throw a screen to Taylor.  lol

So, if they're stuffing the run and now it's 3rd and 12 or 13 you stay with the run because you're...running the clock??

I think Wentz took off and tried to run it himself, but trying Taylor again is just not intelligent.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

No reason?   Do you think we were planning a 3-play opening drive?   Do you think we might’ve planned on running JT more had the drive been sustained?   Were you, or were you not the poster who asked for Reich to throw deep in the first quarter to make them defend the entire field?   We did that!   First drive we went deep.   You got what you wanted and you’re still complaining!   

Maybe the second drive went so well because we showed a willingness to throw in the first drive?   Frank scripts the first 15 plays,  so the second drive was in the plans.

But go ahead and keep complaining.  You’re the smartest guy in the room.   You’re also wrong far more than you’ll ever admit!

This is exactly right. That first drive was setting up the future running game.

1 minute ago, smittywerb said:

you said it was lucky.  My argument isn’t that it wasn’t luck and it was actually a great call and designed run by Reich.  Maybe you meant him breaking it open was luck which is why I brought up the running back reaching the second level against stacked boxes point.

Yes, getting a big run like that in that situation, when they know you are running because you have no receivers, when up against a stacked box, is a lucky outcome.  IMO.

JT is fast enough to hit the hole before it closes and then to outrun the backend.  That's why you keep running him up the middle

Look, at BALT, Frank called running plays beginning mid way through the 3rd quarter to start to kill clock, and JT never broke one and the team struggled to get first downs.  

He can call the same strategy in two games, but the play calling doesn't dictate the outcome.

The forum simply puts way too much emphasis on Frank's play calling for the success or failure of the offense.

6 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

hahahaha...too funny.  The rook had 2 INT's and Wentz had 1.  Kid missed wide open receivers and had a delay of game.

Yeah, he was more  poised than the vet.  Laughable...

Wentz had a bunch of bad tosses, but no way did the rook look more "poised" than Wentz did.

Wentz is dong just fine this year.  No questions about his future here.  Just my thoughts.

Mac Jones 26/45 299 2 2

C. Wentz 5/12 57 1 1

4 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

I'm not saying Wentz is bad, necessarily. He hasn't had a terrible season. He's just not good. There should be not an iota of confidence that he can take us anywhere. If he wins us a playoff game or two, it should be treated as a total surprise. Because what he's shown is essentially we can't trust him not to throw games away. So chances are we will have to manage him. 

That is the caveat; the Pats have a very good defense, I don't think anyone was expecting Wentz to shred them anyway, and the Pittman ejection was a kick to the nuts and a screwjob by the officials. He was truly horrendous tonight, though. 

I don't think he was horrendous given all the context. He had a hurricane of bad stuff thrown at him. I'm not sure he could have been in a worst position vs the #1 pass D. And I didn't even mention Batman being without Robin (Ryan Kelly).

5 minutes ago, IndyEric07 said:

Anyone else as frustrated with Badgley as I am? that 49yrd fg miss coulda meant the game! Coulda have gone up 3 scores and put the game away earlier, but as usual, they make us fans sweat! Whats Rodrigo up to these days!?

Probably coming back on Christmas Day,  Frank said they would stick with Badgley to ride the hot hand.  I think with two misses in two games Frank is going to say hot hand over back to the guy THEY view as their kicker.  I think some here looked at it as a legit competition when in the Colts mind it never was.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes, played football. Not high level. Just a good HS team. It was a team known for good OLs and running lol...

Please tell me oh wise one, how it's incredibly smart to open up both opening drives without using your best weapon. In what world exactly?

Yes, I called for a deep shot early. A deep shot doesn't mean 3 straight passes to open both halves. 

8 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

I'm not saying Wentz is bad, necessarily. He hasn't had a terrible season. He's just not good. There should be not an iota of confidence that he can take us anywhere. If he wins us a playoff game or two, it should be treated as a total surprise. Because what he's shown is essentially we can't trust him not to throw games away. So chances are we will have to manage him. 

That is the caveat; the Pats have a very good defense, I don't think anyone was expecting Wentz to shred them anyway, and the Pittman ejection was a kick to the nuts and a screwjob by the officials. He was truly horrendous tonight, though. 

Yes losing Pittman hurt A LOT.  I honestly thought that really swung the momentum in the game because the Pats just said okay the one guy we fear in the passing game is out sell out on the run and if the Colts get a pass play here or there so be it.  What’s impressive is those last two drives the Pats knew what was coming and were selling out vs it and the Colts STILL ran it on every single one of those plays including busting the game winner.  Huge credit needs to go to Taylor and the line.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I don't think he was horrendous given all the context. He had a hurricane of bad stuff thrown at him. I'm not sure he could have been in a worst position vs the #1 pass D. And I didn't even mention Batman being without Robin (Ryan Kelly).

I can't agree with that. He's up 20-0 and 20-7 and he's throwing it straight to the other team. The situation was perfectly set up for him to take what the defense is giving him, not take risks, hand it off and throw it away when necessary. Other than losing Pittman, the scenario was great for him. I'm not saying he should have thrown for 300 yards, just don't almost blow it again with a huge lead. We won and that's great, but there can't be these soft excuses for him. 

22 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Again, it's more about balance and mix. 

Our 2 worst drives... All passing.

1st drive of the 1H, which is absolutely critical, 3 passes, and out.

1st drive of the 2H, which is critical, and right after a turnover, 3 passes, and almost missed FG.

I want passing. I just want balance. 

I just can't think of any reason why you leave your best weapon out the scripts to open up the game, or the 2nd half. 

East...I usually agree with what you say, but this one just feels like a "let's complain about Frank" issue for you.  They ran the ball 39 times and passed 12.  There was no balance, BUT, I thought Frank had a really good feel for the game tonight.  He never abandoned the run.  Maybe he tried to open up the passing game a bit, but, hey, I can't really fault the guy for that.  Let's take some wear and tear off the kid and save him for the playoffs.

You leave the kid off the scripts to keep the other team off balance.  It's called "not being predictable".  People were complaining about Pep and his predictable play calling.  If we run JT constantly then they just stack the box.  Start the game by keeping them wondering what we're going to do.  That's may be why he scripted what he did.  It worked.  We won.

The Patriot defense has given up 140 points in 14 games now. 10 points per game is better than elite, it's record setting - NFL all time elite. The Colts offense put 20 on that D tonight (ST = 7). That's awesome production against that group.

Next, the Patriot offense was averaging 27 points per game entering tonight, and they left with 17.

The Colts won tonight on offense, defense and special teams.

This was a great win, against a team that was on a 7 game roll, and was undefeated on the road this year.

COLTS win!!!! :rock:

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

They had all of 10 real offensive okays in the third quarter.  He got it on four of them.  That’s a pretty good average for a running back.  On top of that two of the other plays were also runs.  Meaning Frank called all of four pass plays in those ten plays.  That’s hardly getting pass happy.  Taylor can’t carry it on EVERY play. 

Again, the Colts ran the ball 39 times tonight including 39 times on their last 48 plays.  You have to twist things and try to pick out only things that support the argument that Frank didn’t run the ball enough.  It’s like saying if you only look at the 12 pass plays Frank didn’t run Taylor enough…

i don’t think i said Reich didn’t run the ball enough.  That’s twisting things.  I actually think Reich ran the ball WELL enough. Lol. Maybe you’re mixing me up with someone else but I did not say he didn’t run it enough.  What I said was he didn’t run it enough in the third qtr.  nice try.

onto the third qtr:

drive after the INT:  3 straight passes, in the red zone also

drive after that: 2 passes, 4 rushes (1 rush was Carson wentz I believe)

Drive after that:  2 passes (1 an INT), 1 rush

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Probably coming back on Christmas Day,  Frank said they would stick with Badgley to ride the hot hand.  I think with two misses in two games Frank is going to say hot hand over back to the guy THEY view as their kicker.  I think some here looked at it as a legit competition when in the Colts mind it never was.

I think tonight was big for Badgley because he had a chance do what HOF Rod struggles with. That is longer FG. Missing the 49 yarder probably sealed his fair because he isn’t any better then hot Rod on longer FG.

5 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

i don’t think i said Reich didn’t run the ball enough.  That’s twisting things.  I actually think Reich ran the ball WELL enough. Lol. Maybe you’re mixing me up with someone else but I did not say he didn’t run it enough.  What I said was he didn’t run it enough in the third qtr.  nice try.

onto the third qtr:

drive after the INT:  3 straight passes, in the red zone also

drive after that: 2 passes, 4 rushes (1 rush was Carson wentz I believe)

Drive after that:  2 passes (1 an INT), 1 rush

That int drive came in the 4th quarter.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay/_/gameId/401326540

Also second drive was seven plays without the kick and had five rushes to two passes.  

So it ended up five and five.  It’s also looking at only 10 plays out of 52.  It seems like a reach to try to go after Frank because heaven forbid things weren’t prefect in a NFL game.  

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

This comment is about the guy that wrote a op Ed about giving up his season tickets because people stand and scream.

LOL. I got the "can you sit down please on a 2nd down" from the lady sitting behind. I guess I did my job as a Colts fan. :) 

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yes losing Pittman hurt A LOT.  I honestly thought that really swung the momentum in the game because the Pats just said okay the one guy we fear in the passing game is out sell out on the run and if the Colts get a pass play here or there so be it.  What’s impressive is those last two drives the Pats knew what was coming and were selling out vs it and the Colts STILL ran it on every single one of those plays including busting the game winner.  Huge credit needs to go to Taylor and the line.

Agreed, it did swing the momentum in their favour. That was tough. Thankfully though, they then messed up with the offsides, allowing us to retake and make the field goal. That was what sealed the win along with the Taylor run. And yeah, Taylor is just special. Even when extra people are in the box, if he can get to the line of scrimmage without a guy getting him in the backfield, he's getting at least 4 or 5 yards, no matter what. It's so valuable. 

That int drive came in the 4th quarter.

that one I couldn’t remember.

but if you take that drive away,

that means Reich called 3 straight passes in the red zone and then gave JT 3 touches after throwing on first down back to back drives.  Still not ok.  

just to add, I think Reich called a good game today.  Just that third qtr was shaky.  Don’t get caught up on the totals because that’s not what I’m debating.  I’m saying in that 3rd qtr, there were times I think we should’ve ran (especially after the TO) and we didn’t which put the run game in bad situations.  That’s what I mean by we didn’t run enough in the third.

3 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

I can't agree with that. He's up 20-0 and 20-7 and he's throwing it straight to the other team. The situation was perfectly set up for him to take what the defense is giving him, not take risks, hand it off and throw it away when necessary. Other than losing Pittman, the scenario was great for him. I'm not saying he should have thrown for 300 yards, just don't almost blow it again with a huge lead. We won and that's great, but there can't be these soft excuses for him. 

He's getting play calls with 1st and 2nd reads to pass catchers who are defended by a guy who leads the league in passer rating allowed, or INTs, or PDs... lol... IMO, we could have schemed guys open much better. We should have thrown more slants, digs, and 9s. I think a sail would have absolutely killed. Instead it was a bunch of possession type stuff, which I said in the "how to beat NE" thread is exactly what we shouldn't do. 

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Kind of funny we best pats with hardly any throwing. We did the same thing they did to Bills.

We can beat AZ.

Not to brag, but I’m going to the cards game and have great seats, I bought them the day the schedule came out. I live right down the 101 and have friends from Evansville coming  to join us on Christmas freaking day to watch the colts smack the cards 

8 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

Agreed, it did swing the momentum in their favour. That was tough. Thankfully though, they then messed up with the offsides, allowing us to retake and make the field goal. That was what sealed the win along with the Taylor run. And yeah, Taylor is just special. Even when extra people are in the box, if he can get to the line of scrimmage without a guy getting him in the backfield, he's getting at least 4 or 5 yards, no matter what. It's so valuable. 

A rare mistake by BB.  That field goal didn’t help them.  It kept the game a two score drive.  With that said as you said that false start was huge and thank you to one of the best crowds I’ve ever heard at LOS.  That’s why they say home field gives you three because that one play sorta did.

Also yes Taylor is and what a job by the big fellas inside to open that hole.  It’s also been a long a time that the Colts have had a guy like Taylor that even when you hit him he’s always get an extra few yards.  

5 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

East...I usually agree with what you say, but this one just feels like a "let's complain about Frank" issue for you.  They ran the ball 39 times and passed 12.  There was no balance, BUT, I thought Frank had a really good feel for the game tonight.  He never abandoned the run.  Maybe he tried to open up the passing game a bit, but, hey, I can't really fault the guy for that.  Let's take some wear and tear off the kid and save him for the playoffs.

You leave the kid off the scripts to keep the other team off balance.  It's called "not being predictable".  People were complaining about Pep and his predictable play calling.  If we run JT constantly then they just stack the box.  Start the game by keeping them wondering what we're going to do.  That's may be why he scripted what he did.  It worked.  We won.

I actually said hats off to Frank for going back to JT quickly when those two drives didn't work.

But please. and I ask you to be sincere and post in good faith, explain to me why you open up both opening drives without your best weapon. I'm not saying up the gut 3 times to open the game. I'm not saying don't pass. I actually asked for a deep shot early in the early pre-game threads... And I actually was asking for a good mix of inside and outside runs along with passing. But it just doesn't compute to open up both halves without JT and all passing. 

Believe me, I don't want to open a game with all running or all passing. I do want JT involved though in whatever we open up with though. 

4 minutes ago, open window said:

Not to brag, but I’m going to the cards game and have great seats, I bought them the day the schedule came out. I live right down the 101 and have friends from Evansville coming  to join us on Christmas freaking day to watch the colts smack the cards 

Nice!  Get the W for us next week!

A rare mistake by BB.  That field goal didn’t help them.  It kept the game a two score drive.  With that said as you said that false start was huge and thank you to one of the best crowds I’ve ever heard at LOS.  That’s why they say home field gives you three because that one play sorta did.

Also yes Taylor is and what a job by the big fellas inside to open that hole.  It’s also been a long a time that the Colts have had a guy like Taylor that even when you hit him he’s always get an extra few yards.  

Yes, we were rocking, no doubt, we wanted to beat the Patriots real real bad. I am glad to have been part of that crowd. 

Just now, chad72 said:

Yes, we were rocking, no doubt, we wanted to beat the Patriots real real bad. I am glad to have been part of that crowd. 

Yep no question this wasn’t “just another game” to the fans or players and it showed.  The Colts wanted this one.  Now I hope they can refocus for another hard game against the Cards in a week.  

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yep no question this wasn’t “just another game” to the fans or players and it showed.  The Colts wanted this one.  Now I hope they can refocus for another hard game against the Cards in a week.  

The thing you miss at the stadium is what happened that got Wentz so irate. Based on his lips I could sense him saying "he grabbed my d***" or something like that, not sure who it was directed to. Haven't seen the replay of the Dugger-Pittman stuff either as to who started it and who finished it, and who shoved the ref; that is the main luxury of watching it on TV. However, the experience of being there is hard to beat. :) 

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I actually said hats off to Frank for going back to JT quickly when those two drives didn't work.

But please. and I ask you to be sincere and post in good faith, explain to me why you open up both opening drives without your best weapon. I'm not saying up the gut 3 times to open the game. I'm not saying don't pass. I actually asked for a deep shot early in the early pre-game threads... And I actually was asking for a good mix of inside and outside runs along with passing. But it just doesn't compute to open up both halves without JT and all passing. 

Believe me, I don't want to open a game with all running or all passing. I do want JT involved though in whatever we open up with though. 

Let me respond by asking; were you wondering what the He__ Frank was doing during that first drive?  Were you confused?  I know I was.

I'm also thinking that BB was a bit confused as well.  He had orchestrated his D to stop Taylor and JT was a decoy.  We didn't get anything the first drive but I bet BB was a bit back on his heels wondering what Frank was going to do in the second.  I bet his defense was as well.

That's the only thing I can think of as to why you wouldn't use your best weapon - you're setting up the run using the pass.  He was setting BB up.  Maybe it worked? 

Archived