Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

FS

TimetobringDfence!

That is what aging corners become, from Charles Woodson to Champ Bailey, all tried their hands at free safety being able to watch the QB's eyes. I do agree Rhodes can be such a candidate, would be useful to cover physical TEs with his size as well, IMO, just like the TE coverage expert that Micah Hyde made a living of, with the Packers first and then with the Bills now.

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

That is what aging corners become, from Charles Woodson to Champ Bailey, all tried their hands at free safety being able to watch the QB's eyes. I do agree Rhodes can be such a candidate, would be useful to cover physical TEs with his size as well, IMO, just like the TE coverage expert that Micah Hyde made a living of, with the Packers first and then with the Bills now.

I miss Woodson. He was a lot of fun to watch, a defensive general. 

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

I can see Rhodes agreeing to such a move.  But we all know Ballard loves Blackmon.  Next year could be his year.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I can see Rhodes agreeing to such a move.  But we all know Ballard loves Blackmon.  Next year could be his year.

We need to add to the DB room

The FS of the future is NOT on this team today, IMHO

ONE of our two starting CB for 2022 is NOT on this team today

7 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

For the moment Odum has proven to show the best potential at the FS position in pass coverage for us. I can see Sendejo and Willis duking it out for SS. Rhodes has seemed to have lost a step or is struggling in recovering, maybe he would be a good possibility at FS going into next year...

That big play was Kenny Moore fault he didn’t take his man deep enough on the zone 

7 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

For the moment Odum has proven to show the best potential at the FS position in pass coverage for us. I can see Sendejo and Willis duking it out for SS. Rhodes has seemed to have lost a step or is struggling in recovering, maybe he would be a good possibility at FS going into next year...

To be honest, not sure exactly who is playing FS lol. I saw Sendejo back deepest early, and Odum deepest at times too. A lot of downs though seemed we played C2 with both about the same depth. All the Colts depth charts so far have listed Sendejo listed as FS, but there's no doubt Odum has been middle fielder at times in C3. Seems maybe we're playing both interchangeable depending on the O look (which side has 2 or more WRs lined up). 

I'm interested to see when advanced stats come out for the Buf game, and impact to overall individual stats, but overall the combo of Odum/Sendejo has been at minimum as effective as the combo of Blackmon/Willis. IMO, it's been more effective. Sendejo was leading all starting DBs in passer rating allowed, and Odum has graded well from PFF. 

I know Blackmon is out for the year, but pretty sure they are still thinking Willis may return. Going to be interesting as to what they do when he returns, and of course, who they look at the entire/general S position in the off season.

6 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I could see them cutting a vet that doesn’t have to go through waivers? Is Woods on the active roster still?

Edit doesn’t look like woods is on the active roster.

I think Josh Jones gets cut, Addae has been better at the Safety spot and has gotten more plays. Sendajo is the Free and Odum has played Strong for the most part though they have flipped at times. Likely Willis at Strong and Andrew at Free when Willis returns which could be this week.

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

We need to add to the DB room

The FS of the future is NOT on this team today, IMHO

ONE of our two starting CB for 2022 is NOT on this team today

Exactly what I've been thinking. We need a corner and safety in rounds two and three.

1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

Wills might practice this week wonder who they sit when he returns.

My first thought would be the obvious, Jones or Addae. 

With the emergence of Stallworth this year, perhaps they drop Woods. 

With Carrie back, maybe Chesley. 

Banogu wouldn't shock me either. We're carrying 6 DEs on the 53, and he's not sniffing action. 

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

My first thought would be the obvious, Jones or Addae. 

With the emergence of Stallworth this year, perhaps they drop Woods. 

With Carrie back, maybe Chesley. 

Banogu wouldn't shock me either. We're carrying 6 DEs on the 53, and he's not sniffing action. 

Chesley was cut last week, he was then signed to the p.s. Banogu wouldnt shock me either, thought he was a possible cut last week just seems Jones natural Safety for Safety swap. Woods actually is on active roster and is a possibility as well.

48 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Chesley was cut last week, he was then signed to the p.s. Banogu wouldnt shock me either, thought he was a possible cut last week just seems Jones natural Safety for Safety swap. Woods actually is on active roster and is a possibility as well.

Forgot about Chesley. 

Like I said, my first thought is Jones or Addae. 

At some point, I do think a DL will likely be waived. Right now we're carrying 4 DTs and 6 DEs. It would be my preference if we let one go, to be Banogu or Woods, but I can understand the desire to keep a 4th DT. If Dayo's snaps increase, then Banogu or Rochell might be at risk. I like Rochell's tweener value personally with Lewis gone. If Turay was playing better and more consistent health wise, it would be easier to part with Banogu. 

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Forgot about Chesley. 

Like I said, my first thought is Jones or Addae. 

At some point, I do think a DL will likely be waived. Right now we're carrying 4 DTs and 6 DEs. It would be my preference if we let one go, to be Banogu or Woods, but I can understand the desire to keep a 4th DT. If Dayo's snaps increase, then Banogu or Rochell might be at risk. I like Rochell's tweener value personally with Lewis gone. If Turay was playing better and more consistent health wise, it would be easier to part with Banogu. 

Drop Woods, Rochelle can do both better...

12 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

Exactly what I've been thinking. We need a corner and safety in rounds two and three.

Not a huge fan of FA but if there ever was a time for a splash signing, CB would be the one so we can try to get the other starting DE, OT or WR this team needs. Teams don’t let good DEs and OTs walk very often so the draft is where we will have to find them.  I also don’t think Safety is valued in this scheme as much as other positions.  I would be all for sliding Blackmon over to SS and bringing in a veteran FS that is solid but not spectacular.  

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Not a huge fan of FA but if there ever was a time for a splash signing, CB would be the one so we can try to get the other starting DE, OT or WR this team needs. Teams don’t let good DEs and OTs walk very often so the draft is where we will have to find them.  I also don’t think Safety is valued in this scheme as much as other positions.  I would be all for sliding Blackmon over to SS and bringing in a veteran FS that is solid but not spectacular.  

It's a pretty good DB class. Haven't looked at it under a microscope yet, but overall one of the deeper classes I've seen the last 5 years or so.

WR and T are pretty good too. 

Worst QB class I can remember in a long time.

PFF has a decent big board if you're interested.

https://www.pff.com/draft/big-board?season=2022

At CB, we found Rhodes on the cheap. Not sure we can do that again, but there are some interesting names that are FAs. Not so sure about FS. I doubt Ballard abandons Blackmon this early.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/cornerback//

As long as Fisher continues to make progress, I assume we'll keep him. And I hope we keep Pryor.

So in short, keep Fisher/Pryor, we'll likely stick with Blackmon at FS, and get a CB and WR in rounds two and three.

Our bigger issue might be DL depth. Lewis, AQM, Rochell, Turay, Stallworth, and Woods are all FA. Our starting 4 (assuming Dayo can start next year) is fine, but almost all the depth are FAs. Banogu still has another year, but not banking on him stepping up.

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It's a pretty good DB class. Haven't looked at it under a microscope yet, but overall one of the deeper classes I've seen the last 5 years or so.

WR and T are pretty good too. 

Worst QB class I can remember in a long time.

PFF has a decent big board if you're interested.

https://www.pff.com/draft/big-board?season=2022

At CB, we found Rhodes on the cheap. Not sure we can do that again, but there are some interesting names that are FAs. Not so sure about FS. I doubt Ballard abandons Blackmon this early.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/cornerback//

As long as Fisher continues to make progress, I assume we'll keep him. And I hope we keep Pryor.

So in short, keep Fisher/Pryor, we'll likely stick with Blackmon at FS, and get a CB and WR in rounds two and three.

Our bigger issue might be DL depth. Lewis, AQM, Rochell, Turay, Stallworth, and Woods are all FA. Our starting 4 (assuming Dayo can start next year) is fine, but almost all the depth are FAs. Banogu still has another year, but not banking on him stepping up.

Thanks for the link!  Will definitely start looking into this more as the season comes to an end.  Everything I said was a generalization on a possible strategy without knowing anything about this upcoming draft. I just think Blackmon would be better suited at SS bc a solid FS can be found relatively cheap.  I assume Fisher would be resigned but he may chase the big bucks.  Either way a replacement is needed and that will need to come thru the draft along with a passing down DE.  A deep threat WR or #2 caliber will also need to come from the draft or trade. 

Of all positions to spend a mid size contract on I think CB is the safest(still always a risk to overpay).  Drafting our own would be ideal long term but I think this defense could make a huge jump with an established veteran that doesn’t need time to develop. We need to buy Paye, Buckner and Dayo another second to get to the QB. 

5 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Thanks for the link!  Will definitely start looking into this more as the season comes to an end.  Everything I said was a generalization on a possible strategy without knowing anything about this upcoming draft. I just think Blackmon would be better suited at SS bc a solid FS can be found relatively cheap.  I assume Fisher would be resigned but he may chase the big bucks.  Either way a replacement is needed and that will need to come thru the draft along with a passing down DE.  A deep threat WR or #2 caliber will also need to come from the draft or trade. 

Of all positions to spend a mid size contract on I think CB is the safest(still always a risk to overpay).  Drafting our own would be ideal long term but I think this defense could make a huge jump with an established veteran that doesn’t need time to develop. We need to buy Paye, Buckner and Dayo another second to get to the QB. 

I think Blackmon would be a much better SS too, I just doubt they move him next year. I would though, called it when we drafted him.....

Fisher hasn't been all that impressive. He's improved little by little, but he's still not back to form. He may not cost all that much. Gonna bet they re-sign him for a couple years, and wait on an OT. I really hope we can keep Pryor on the cheap. 

Given our cap situation, I think it's best to draft a CB and WR at this point. Wouldn't be shocked to see us pick up a FA of either though. I think we could get a decent CB in the 2nd, and a decent Z type WR in the 3rd. I think TY might hang around on the cheap to hit some personal goals. Campbell will be back as well, and Coutee is an option as well. So any of those 3 would give a 3rd round guy some time to develop. 

Archived