Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wentz: Penthouse to Outhouse... right back to Penthouse...

EastStreet

We don't have a signature win though, that is the bottom line. The Jets, for crying out loud, have a win vs the Titans and Bengals, LOL. But yes, QB wise, everything we wanted him to be, when managed right. :) I still think with playmakers added on offense, this offense could be like a Peyton led offense with more balance. Peyton was more than glad to hand it off to Edge, Addai etc. inside the red zone over the years, and we can get there with Reich and Wentz, IMO, just need another playmaker or two on offense for a pass catcher.

Luck suffered from OC ineptitude and instability, wish he had played under Reich more.

Our talent on O and D will have a great litmus test vs the Bills.

The huge difference in this game was he took what was there. He wasn’t throwing deep passes all game. What’s funny is everyone killed Reich for  not giving Taylor more touches and he only had two more runs  last night then in the Titans game. Wentz still needs to prove he can win close games against good teams.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

We don't have a signature win though, that is the bottom line. The Jets, for crying out loud, have a win vs the Titans and Bengals, LOL. But yes, QB wise, everything we wanted him to be, when managed right. :) I still think with playmakers added on offense, this offense could be like a Peyton led offense with more balance. Peyton was more than glad to hand it off to Edge, Addai etc. inside the red zone over the years, and we can get there with Reich and Wentz, IMO, just need a playmaker or two on offense.

Our talent on O and D will have a great litmus test vs the Bills.

You have a QB that is top 10ish QBR and PR, and has only 3 INTs the whole year..... and the #2 RB.... 

And no signature win.

What's that tell you?

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

You have a QB that is top 10ish QBR and PR, and has only 3 INTs the whole year..... and the #2 RB.... 

And no signature win.

What's that tell you?

Can't finish close games? Combo of QB and HC mistakes in crunch time. 

Just now, John Hammonds said:

I say it all the time.  And it continues to be true.

"You are never as good as, nor as bad as, your last game."

How about your cumulative rankings of half the season..  

Just now, chad72 said:

Can't finish close games? Combo of QB and HC mistakes. 

uh... how about a passing D that has given up the most TDs in the league.

that factor?

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He will get his signature win soon IMO, Phil had a couple of huge one's last year against GB and at Tennessee. Good QB's usually get a couple a year, Wentz is due for 1.

I'm actually looking at the Buccaneers as a possible candidate for that signature win. They've got the same backfield issues with their D as we do. Keep the running game going and keep Tom off the field as much as we can. Seems like a tall task, yes, but it's possible.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

How about your cumulative rankings of half the season..  

uh... how about a passing D that has given up the most TDs in the league.

that factor?

Valid point. When whatever you do is not enough, you look at the common denominator and ours has been that. Eberflus' D has been in the Top 10 run Ds for a while at the cost of being in the Bottom half of the league in pass D consistently in yards and TDs from 2018-2021.

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I'm actually looking at the Buccaneers as a possible candidate for that signature win. They've got the same backfield issues with their D as we do. Keep the running game going and keep Tom off the field as much as we can. Seems like a tall task, yes, but it's possible.

They match up well against our strength, will stifle our run and force Wentz to throw 50 times. Their pass rush and LBs will be healthier by the time they play us and we know what happens if we have to ask Wentz to throw 50 plus times, and Brady will force game script to be negative as well thanks to Eberflus.

Just now, chad72 said:

Valid point. When whatever you do is not enough, you look at the common denominator and ours has been that. Eberflus' D has been in the Top 10 run Ds for a while at the cost of being in the Bottom half of the league in pass D consistently in yards and TDs from 2018-2021.

Worst in Pass TDs in the league is about as egregious as you can get.

I'd put a number out there, but I'd get a label..... 

5 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

What’s funny is everyone killed Reich for  not giving Taylor more touches and he only had two more runs  last night then in the Titans game.

I think fans were complaining about the small percentage of plays that went to Taylor in the Titans game. Yesterday, he did not need too many more rush attempts because his runs were longer (less room for more rushing attempts) and the Colts were scoring faster. The offense was balanced. The ratio of rushes to passes was about 1:1, if I am not mistaking. 

10 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yeah it will be really tough to win at Buffalo. It is doable but beating the Bucs at home would be the better bet. Beating Tom in a playoff game is much harder but they are beatable this year. Their D has struggled too. We need to go into the Bye week over .500. Next 4 games are Jags, at Buffalo, Bucs, at Texans. We win 3 of those that puts us at 7-6 for the stretch run.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

They match up well against our strength, will stifle our run and force Wentz to throw 50 times. Their pass rush and LBs will be healthier by the time they play us and we know what happens if we have to ask Wentz to throw 50 plus times, and Brady will force game script to be negative as well thanks to Eberflus.

For sure it will be a massive struggle. We know for certain Tom will score when he's on the field. So, it will be up to the offense to draw the game out. We'll need a lot of 3rd down conversions. Tall task? Yes. Impossible? Most likely. Any given Sunday though. At least it's at home... 

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

For sure it will be a massive struggle. We know for certain Tom will score when he's on the field. So, it will be up to the offense to draw the game out. We'll need a lot of 3rd down conversions. Tall task? Yes. Impossible? Most likely. Any given Sunday though. At least it's at home... 

Eberflus surprising us that day is the only way we win. To beat a Brady led team, you don't win by outscoring him. Only guys like Peyton have pulled off beating Brady when he scores 30 plus, twice actually, and Foles did it in the SB, Fitzpatrick might have done it once :). You have to limit him to around the low to mid 20s to win, period, the majority of the time.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

I think fans were complaining about the small percentage of the plays that went to Taylor in the Titans game. Yesterday, he did not need too many more rush attempts because his runs were longer (less room for more rushing attempts) and the Colts were scoring faster. The offense was balanced. The ratio of rushes to passes were about 1:1, if I am not mistaking. 

You shouldn’t have to be explaining this… 

Every game is different. You can carry the ball exactly 20 times in every game every year and guess what? The results will all be different.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the number of carries. It’s the usage in the game those carries represent. 

Reich used Taylor in a * poor way against the Titans, and in a phenomenal way last night. 

Too many people can’t see the forest because of all those trees in their way. :dunno:

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Eberflus surprising us that day is the only way we win. To beat a Brady led team, you don't win by outscoring him. Only guys like Peyton have pulled off beating Brady when he scores 30 plus, twice actually, and Foles did it in the SB. You have to limit him to around the low to mid 20s to win, period.

That's actually my point. We'll have to keep him off the field for most of the game. Long, time consuming drives will be required where we control a large amount of the time of possession. He can't score 30+ points if he's not on the field most of the day. We'll also have to focus on getting to the ball carriers and causing turnovers (fumbles). 

Just now, RollerColt said:

That's actually my point. We'll have to keep him off the field for most of the game. Long, time consuming drives will be required where we control a large amount of the time of possession. He can't score 30+ points if he's not on the field most of the day. We'll also have to focus on getting to the ball carriers and causing turnovers (fumbles). 

Honestly I’d be surprised if we tried to grind the clock and make the Bucs game (or any game) a possession type of game. Frank wants to call plays, and he wants to score. I can totally see him walking into the Bucs matchup planning on trying to win in a shootout. :facepalm:

5 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

It’s the usage in the game those carries represent. 

I wanted to say that  :number1: too. Situational football called for running the ball and keeping the clock running when the Colts were up in the second half of the Titans game. 

23 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I think fans were complaining about the small percentage of the plays that went to Taylor in the Titans game. Yesterday, he did not need too many more rush attempts because his runs were longer (less room for more rushing attempts) and the Colts were scoring faster. The offense was balanced. The ratio of rushes to passes were about 1:1, if I am not mistaking. 

If you add his screen passes in vs Titans he was over 20.  The difference was Wentz took the easy play instead of going deep every play this game. . Remember Taylor had two huge plays called back in that Titans game that put us in long situations. 

I wanted to say that  :number1: too. Situational football called for running the ball and keep the clock running when the Colts were up in the second half of the Titans game. 

It also called for it in the 4th quarter last night when we went pass happy, but, well, Frank gonna Frank. It didn’t bite us this week, but against an offense like Tampa or Buffalo?

yes-awkward.gif

I’d really rather just not find out at all if we can avoid it…

14 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

If you add his screen passes in vs Titans he was over 20.  The difference was Wentz took the easy play instead of going deep every play this game. . Remember Taylor had two huge plays called back in that Titans game that put us in long situations. 

You are looking at raw numbers rather than situational football. Someone who did not watch the games may not have seen a problem but watching the game, it was clear that the Colts needed to run the ball a lot more than they did in the Titans game. Sorry to talk about this again @jvan1973 and @SteelCityColt:peek:

Clock management is so important in football. If you are down by a lot, running may not make sense as too much time will be used in the play. There is a sense of urgency to score fast -- a higher number of passes makes sense. But if you are up in the late 3rd quarter or 4th quarter, especially by 2 scores or more, you want to leave as little time on the clock for your opponent to make a comeback. Every time a pass is incomplete, it stops the clock. That is not what you want when you are up. Running the ball, even if you lose yards, is better as the clock is running.

JMO.

You are looking at raw numbers rather than situational football. Someone who did not watch the games may not have seen a problem but watching the game, it was clear that the Colts needed to run the ball a lot more than they did. Sorry to talk about this again @jvan1973 and @SteelCityColt:peek:

Clock management is so important in football. If you are down by a lot, running may not make sense as too much time will be used in the play. There is a sense of urgency to score fast. But if you are up, especially by 2 scores or more, you want to leave as little time on the clock for your opponent to make a comeback. JMO.

I won’t disagree on that. Reich should of also realized Wentz was struggling and made things more simple.

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

From top 10ish average before last week.. 

to

Arguably his worst game of the year (vs TN) thanks to bad coaching

to 

Arguably the best game of his career (vs NYJ) with good coaching

91.9 QBR

134.3 PR

270+3+0

Back to top 10ish stats come end of Sunday... 

WeepyMelodicBilby-size_restricted.gif

Ehhh I’m slowly but surely starting to like this trade.....

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I realize I sound absolutely crazy @coming on strong. It’s more than likely we get destroyed by Tampa and allow Brady close to 500 yards than beating them. But crazy things happen all the time. I’m just hoping some voodoo magic happens and we win one we have no business winning. 

A guy in my fantasy league has been talking smack since last night saying Brady would have more TDs than incompletions against this defense. I’m trying not to listen, but….

Episode 17 Laughing GIF by The Simpsons

7 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I realize I sound absolutely crazy @coming on strong. It’s more than likely we get destroyed by Tampa and allow Brady close to 500 yards than beating them. But crazy things happen all the time. I’m just hoping some voodoo magic happens and we win one we have no business winning. 

i hope so but right now we do not have the weapons to win a shoot out with tampa or the bills .  taylor would have to go off for close to 200 yards and play ball control to have a chance .   to many holes the good news is next off season we will have 70 million in cap space and i think that is counting nelsons 5th year option so even a 20 million extension should only go 5 million against the cap .  we can easily get a number 2 option wr a corner or two and a veteran pass rusher on a cheap deal .  i think next year we will rise again if we make the right moves and wentz gets even better returning to top 5 status .

5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

From top 10ish average before last week.. 

to

Arguably his worst game of the year (vs TN) thanks to bad coaching

to 

Arguably the best game of his career (vs NYJ) with good coaching

91.9 QBR

134.3 PR

270+3+0

Back to top 10ish stats come end of Sunday... 

WeepyMelodicBilby-size_restricted.gif

What is top 10ish? Because he's not top 10 in many stats. That's not hating...that's stating (facts).

But you blame coaching and then call this the best game of his career. Seems like you've got an out ROS I guess. If you blame Reich for TEN, you have to give him a bunch of credit for the NYJ game. Because Wentz was completing mostly pretty short passes to first-read wide open pass catchers against a terrible pass defense. I would hope that he succeed in that environment, especially in the context of a game where his RBs were unstoppable.

Wentz had a fine game, but yeah...not a top 10 QB.

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Wentz only needs to move up one spot in QBR  and we can say he is a top ten QB. All his other stats are top  five he is 7th in yards.

7th

TD

Tied-5th

INT

Tied-4th

QBR

11th

Yeah...that's not how it works.

6 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

The huge difference in this game was he took what was there. He wasn’t throwing deep passes all game. What’s funny is everyone killed Reich for  not giving Taylor more touches and he only had two more runs  last night then in the Titans game. Wentz still needs to prove he can win close games against good teams.

Just curious how Wentz is responsible for the porous Defense the colts secondary is.  Or their inability to get to the QB on defense.  Look a 3rd string QB was made to look close to a MVP QB by the Colts defense.  Not saying Carson hasn't had his share of bad plays but overall their record should be 5-4 if not 6-3.  Never mind some questionable coaching decisions like passing it over 50 times when you have one of the best running backs in the league.  

35 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Just curious how Wentz is responsible for the porous Defense the colts secondary is.  Or their inability to get to the QB on defense.  Look a 3rd string QB was made to look close to a MVP QB by the Colts defense.  Not saying Carson hasn't had his share of bad plays but overall their record should be 5-4 if not 6-3.  Never mind some questionable coaching decisions like passing it over 50 times when you have one of the best running backs in the league.  

No matter how bad the defense is he had 3 chances against the Titans.  A franchise QB has to be able to step up and win games like that. That is more where I am coming from. 

Archived