Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich Finally Gets Back to Using Hines Correctly

Smash Mouth

I feel like Reich scouted himself after the Titans game.  I thought he finally used his creative genius on Hines.  The quick swing passes, the jet sweep, Hines in motion, 2 RB sets, lined up wide - just getting him the rock on the edges.  The TD run was more of the bread and butter but he was running behind #56 and #79 while the Jets' defense was on its heels

Hines and JT in the 2 RB set gives us so much more speed, versatility and explosiveness. Coupled with Pittman's emergence and Wentz's play, Frank called one of his best games of the season

I’ve been saying all season the best way to use Taylor and Hines is together. The defense absolutely HAS to account for both. Those guys can take it to the house any time they get the ball in their hands. And even if you don’t get the ball in their hands it’s going the help open someone else up. 

We did it against the Texans and 49ers though not to the extent we did last night. And then against the Titans we just… didn’t. 

It was nice to see (again,) I just hope it doesn’t inexplicably stop again when we play a game where we really need to take advantage of it. 

15 minutes ago, Smash Mouth said:

I feel like Reich scouted himself after the Titans game.  I thought he finally used his creative genius on Hines.  The quick swing passes, the jet sweep, Hines in motion, 2 RB sets, lined up wide - just getting him the rock on the edges.  The TD run was more of the bread and butter but he was running behind #56 and #79 while the Jets' defense was on its heels

Hines and JT in the 2 RB set gives us so much more speed, versatility and explosiveness. Coupled with Pittman's emergence and Wentz's play, Frank called one of his best games of the season

Hmmm...Sean McVay would have figured this out by game 2, not year 2, of having JT and Hines together. :) Just saying. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Hmmm...Sean McVay would have figured this out by game 2, not year 2, of having JT and Hines together. :) Just saying. 

For years, probably decades now, I've always thought that a 2 RB set is better than a 2 TE set.  Nothing specific to Hines and Taylor.  JMO.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Absolutely.  He called Hines up the gut for a 41 yard TD instead of a stuff.  Great call. 

:sarcasm:

To be fair, it was a run Hines finally decided to take it outside and then veered back in the opposite direction. If he had taken it up the gut, it would have been the same old same old results. :) 

2 hours ago, Smash Mouth said:

Good post. I wonder if he reads or gets advice from his staff about what is written in the forum.:number1:

21 minutes ago, chad72 said:

To be fair, it was a run Hines finally decided to take it outside and then veered back in the opposite direction. If he had taken it up the gut, it would have been the same old same old results. :) 

Yeah, but the oline got him about a 3 yard push up the middle before he had to bounce it out.

I think Hines can help out our slot WR issue a bit. Also Dulin has been playing very respetable football. Pittman has been soaking up a lot of targets. Seems like Wentz and Pascal don't have the connection down quite yet. 

Patmon got his one catch which was good to see. Sideline was happy for him. 

39 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

What are your thoughts on H-backs?

I love seeing hines and JT out there together. 

47 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

What are your thoughts on H-backs?

I guess they can work in the passing game, but they don't really take handoffs.  I like the pass catching lead blocking fullback better.  Sort of the same.  I think they would be less dynamic and explosive than Hines.

Its specific to talent too.

I think the offense is more explosive with Taylor/Hines than Taylor/Cox, more versatile probably too.

Especially since our receiving talent is probably at one of its lowest points over recent seasons (on the field, not the bench)

43 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think the offense is more explosive with Taylor/Hines than Taylor/Cox, more versatile probably too.

Especially since our receiving talent is probably at one of its lowest points over recent seasons (on the field, not the bench)

The receiving talent is marginally better than last year because of Pittman.  At least we have a go to guy now.  We need Hines involved on a regular basis

I think its a good idea to have both Taylor and Hines in together, but if you do that you will play Hines either at the Z or Y position and you would take out our normal slot receiver if at Y.

That may not be a bad idea since I consider our WR's to be fairly average.

Ok. But it's not on Reich that Hines hasn't been effective with his touches for weeks. And Reich can't force his QB to take the checkdowns. (He got him to do it this game apparently, but going forward, we will see.)

So I don't think it was some epiphany that Reich had. The NYJ are just a bad defense and it allowed Reich to call whatever he wanted and have success.

The good news is that JAC isn't any better, so maybe Hines can build off it.

Archived