Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Week 9 Practice report (Jets)

EastStreet

Note - not sure if yesterday was more of a walk through than full practice with the short week, but below is what has been reported. 

Jets

Did Not Participate — RB Tevin Coleman (hamstring), WR Corey Davis (hip), OL George Fant (ankle), DL Bryce Huff (back), TE Trevon Wesco (knee), QB Zach Wilson (knee)

The Jets are dealing with three big injuries to starters; Wilson, Davis, and Fant. Jets head coach Robert Saleh has already announced that quarterback Mike White will start Thursday against the Colts.

Colts

Did Not Participate — WR T.Y. Hilton (concussion), CB BoPete Keyes (hamstring), S Khari Willis (calf)

Limited Participant — G Quenton Nelson (toe)

There are no surprises for the Colts here, as Hilton and Willis both left Sunday's game and didn't return, and Keyes was injured coming into it. Nelson's toe is a new development, however. He's been banged up all year with a foot injury and then an ankle. The Colts placed defensive lineman Tyquan Lewis on Injured Reserve on Monday after he suffered a patella (knee) injury.

Just now, Colt Overseas said:

It wouldn't surprise me the way we play defense, and the Jets have some useful WRs (Elijah Moore, Mims, Davis, Crowder, Cole are fairly decent). 

White spreads the ball around nicely. He even came back from 11 down so even if we have a lead it might not be safe

White is a step up from Mills, and can be successful in the right game plan. And our D will make that easy..... 

Fant would be a big loss if he's not a go. Davis is also a decent loss if he misses a game. 

I'm starting to worry about Q. We rushed him back too soon IMO, and now he's dinged again. Play Reed this week and let Q get back to health. Too short of week, and I don't want Q to get any worse.

2 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

It wouldn't surprise me the way we play defense, and the Jets have some useful WRs (Elijah Moore, Mims, Davis, Crowder, Cole are fairly decent). 

I swear, that if he completes 90% of his passes and they make a game out of it, they need to demote Fluse.  If the Jets win, they need to do worse than that.

Years ago when Bill Parcells was coaching the cowboys he took play calling and some other responsibilities from his offensive coordinator Sean Payton, that's the same Sean Payton who became head coach of the Saints later on and directed one of the most potent offenses in nfl history. I could go on about this, but I'll leave it be.

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't recall a coordinator ever being demoted.

Then they should make him write 100 times on the blackboard "I will not play a soft zone on 3rd and long, allowing for easy completions" 

For the millennials, a blackboard used to be something that was used in classrooms at school.  You wrote on them with chalk.  Chalk is ... never mind...

11 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Then they should make him write 100 times on the blackboard "I will not play a soft zone on 3rd and long, allowing for easy completions" 

For the millennials, a blackboard used to be something that was used in classrooms at school.  You wrote on them with chalk.  Chalk is ... never mind...

That 3rd and 17, 4th quarter, when we had the Titans out of FG range, Eberflus left AJ Brown completely uncovered for a 14 yard check down. Put them in range to tie the game.

I think that’s just completely inexcusable from a DC. So much of the Titan’s win was them being a much sounder coached football team. If Eberflus gets fired this spring, if for calls like that, not putting or trusting his players in position to make a crucial stop.

33 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

Years ago when Bill Parcells was coaching the cowboys he took play calling and some other responsibilities from his offensive coordinator Sean Payton, that's the same Sean Payton who became head coach of the Saints later on and directed one of the most potent offenses in nfl history. I could go on about this, but I'll leave it be.

I don't think you are remembering that quite right.    He gave up play calling to Payton

20 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

That 3rd and 17, 4th quarter, when we had the Titans out of FG range, Eberflus left AJ Brown completely uncovered for a 14 yard check down. Put them in range to tie the game.

I think that’s just completely inexcusable from a DC. So much of the Titan’s win was them being a much sounder coached football team. If Eberflus gets fired this spring, if for calls like that, not putting or trusting his players in position to make a crucial stop.

That play was egregious.  On any of those 3rd and longs, when I see that they're rushing 4 (which rarely, if ever, pressures the QB) I cringe.  We know any decent QB is going to wait for that crosser to the empty part of the zone.

I hate having a defense that is based on hope - hope the other team screws up, hope that our guys can jar the ball loose, basically hope we get lucky.

28 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I was at the game Sunday. And when I go to games I typically arrive abput an hour early because I like to watch the teams warmup. I feel like you can get a sense of whats to come by watching how the teams get ready for the game.

The two teams couldnt have looked more different.

The Titans were like a well oiled machine. They were running drills and running them crisp, and looked like they were there on a business trip. They didnt waste a second of their pregame warmup.

The Colts were kind of laid back and loose. There was a lot of dancing and laughing going on. It couldnt have looked more different, despite being similar in terms of 

Now some people would say that being loose and having fun are a good sign. Other people would say they looked unfocused. 

I prefer my team to look how the Titans looked before the game. They looked like a Mike Vrabel coached football team. Displined, focused and serious as a heart attack. 

The Colts kind of played how they looked pregame. Up and down.

So did the Titans. They were very much the same when they were down 14 as they were when the game was tied up.

I constantly wonder about the coaching on this football team. From the top down.

5 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Colts down both starting FS and SS yikes.

While both made mistakes, Sendejo and Odum did pretty well. Odum graded a lot better than I though he would.

And I think Jones might help at FS. Still wondering if the above tweet is accurate (signed to 53).

It was 2002 with the Giants, head coach Jim Fassel took play calling duties from Payton. The three years Payton was in Dallas with Parcells they had 2 losing records and then 9-7 in 2005. Payton became head coach of the saints in 2006. Sorry for the mistake. oops!

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

While both made mistakes, Sendejo and Odum did pretty well. Odum graded a lot better than I though he would.

And I think Jones might help at FS. Still wondering if the above tweet is accurate (signed to 53).

I’ve just got done watching Mike White highlights and he made 17 dump/short passes. He didn’t throw it deep that much. Corners have to play sound or he’ll dink and dunk his way down the fields.

8 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

I’ve just got done watching Mike White highlights and he made 17 dump/short passes. He didn’t throw it deep that much. Corners have to play sound or he’ll dink and dunk his way down the fields.

Sounds like he will have a good game because our defense allows the dink n dunk all day

10 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

And everyone knows we give cushion.... 

Just now, EastStreet said:

I'm sure they'll look at this as a perfect "bend don't break" opportunity lol.

Speaking of the secondary I think we used up what’s left of Rhodes. He just doesn’t look right this year. That tackle attempt on AJ Brown was so bad. Ballard got a lot of work on improving the Secondary and pass rush this offseason.

5 hours ago, Smonroe said:

As funny as this is, as a millennial I had a chalk boards up to and including university. There's a whole generation behind us.

Just now, JediXMan said:

Speaking of the secondary I think we used up what’s left of Rhodes. He just doesn’t look right this year. That tackle attempt on AJ Brown was so bad. Ballard got a lot of work on improving the Secondary and pass rush this offseason.

Outside of that huge whiff, I thought Rhodes did fairly well. He's been hit with several injuries this year, so not too down on him. 

I almost threw something at my TV on that play though. It was eerily similar to a play where Isaiah Rodgers whiffed on a tackle a few games back. Just so pitiful it hurt my eyes.

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Outside of that huge whiff, I thought Rhodes did fairly well. He's been hit with several injuries this year, so not too down on him. 

I almost threw something at my TV on that play though. It was eerily similar to a play where Isaiah Rodgers whiffed on a tackle a few games back. Just so pitiful it hurt my eyes.

I was thinking the same thing, it seems our CBs don't like to hit the WRs

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

I was thinking the same thing, it seems our CBs don't like to hit the WRs

Both are just really strange to me. I've seen Rhodes make plenty of good tackles. He's not a bull dozer or anything, but he's normally giving good effort. And the game with Rodgers whiffed, he later came back with a pretty physical tackle. And he returns so he's used to contact.... 

I just don't understand lol.. 

Our corners have been awful we really need to promote Darqueze Dennard asap (He has had 2 weeks to learn the scheme) and Josh Jones should be starting at a Safety spot. Sendajo and Odum....just no.....start Jones and once Addae is ready promote and start him. We need TJ Carrie back in the worst way

37 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Our corners have been awful we really need to promote Darqueze Dennard asap (He has had 2 weeks to learn the scheme) and Josh Jones should be starting at a Safety spot. Sendajo and Odum....just no.....start Jones and once Addae is ready promote and start him. We need TJ Carrie back in the worst way

RYS has been solid all year, and the best CB we've had. Rhodes hasn't been great, but he's been hampered with injury. Aside from the whiff tackle yesterday, he was OK. Kenny has been a big disappointment this year though.

Sendejo and Odum both played fine Sunday, and graded in the 70s. They had some mistakes, but nothing egregious. But I do like adding Jones for backend FS help. But both Sedejo and Odum have graded out better than Willis. Than Blackmon too. 

22 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

RYS has been solid all year, and the best CB we've had. Rhodes hasn't been great, but he's been hampered with injury. Aside from the whiff tackle yesterday, he was OK. Kenny has been a big disappointment this year though.

Sendejo and Odum both played fine Sunday, and graded in the 70s. They had some mistakes, but nothing egregious. But I do like adding Jones for backend FS help. But both Sedejo and Odum have graded out better than Willis. Than Blackmon too. 

Tennessee was just the latest to exploit the secondary, Jones has the speed to hit the spot and make the tackle that Sendejo doesnt have and Dennard has hold a solid career,he was cut because of injury concerns, he is healthy we need to try and fix the issues inserting two vets and possibly  3 with Jahlil Addae may be the kick start we sorely need.

20 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Tennessee was just the latest to exploit the secondary, Jones has the speed to hit the spot and make the tackle that Sendejo doesnt have and Dennard has hold a solid career,he was cut because of injury concerns, he is healthy we need to try and fix the issues inserting two vets and possibly  3 with Jahlil Addae may be the kick start we sorely need.

So again... Sendejo played well... He's graded better than Willis and Blackmon. He played 100% of snaps Sunday, and was the second highest graded player overall for the Colts. Odum had a good grade too.

Not saying we don't need a true FS. We do. But Jones has been a SS.... and his passer rating allowed at SS last year was atrocious. So not sure a SS who is poor in coverage will do a lot at FS.

Archived