Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brett Hundley elevated and officially the backup QB, Ibraheim Campbell (S) elevated as well

holeymoley99

37 minutes ago, StartEason said:

I have seen zero evidence of him being a bad team mate. In his interviews he is often heard naming his teammates by name, and praising them. Even when demoted from his backup role, he was highly positive about it and was excited about competition for that role.  He " didn't demand being cut or traded."

I can not comment on learning the system , I'm far from knowing what he does or doesn't know.

But, from his NFL tape there doesn't seem to be a confused feel of his decision making.  Meaning calling time outs, or just looking lost during the play.  He even ran a trick play at end of the game very cleanly. ( probably deep in play book )

For example with Sam Ehlinger he had several plays where he looks like he is spinning with confusion , and even one time tried to pitch the ball to OL Sam Tevi .

Anyways fun topic , but hopefully the Colts backup role is just a  moot point if Carson stays healthy.

I don't think being a bad team mate is the reason either.   

It must be something though.   He was on the team all last year and should know the playbook much better than any other QB on the team.   Got the bulk of the snaps in training camp and preseason this year.  I thought he was a shoo in for the back up role.   

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, StartEason said:

I have seen zero evidence of him being a bad team mate. In his interviews he is often heard naming his teammates by name, and praising them. Even when demoted from his backup role, he was highly positive about it and was excited about competition for that role.  He " didn't demand being cut or traded."

I can not comment on learning the system , I'm far from knowing what he does or doesn't know.

But, from his NFL tape there doesn't seem to be a confused feel of his decision making.  Meaning calling time outs, or just looking lost during the play.  He even ran a trick play at end of the game very cleanly. ( probably deep in play book )

For example with Sam Ehlinger he had several plays where he looks like he is spinning with confusion , and even one time tried to pitch the ball to OL Sam Tevi .

Anyways fun topic , but hopefully the Colts backup role is just a  moot point if Carson stays healthy.

I kind of agree with this. I think it was Sam that looked like he was overwhelmed in preseason. Eason looked calm and looked like he belonged. 

If Sam had been healthy it would of been interesting to see if he had been the backup when Wentz got injured or if it would of still been Hundley. Or maybe it’s just the simple fact they are calling around to see if Eason has any trade value.  

We will find out soon because Hundly has to be on the 53 id he is the backup going forward. Or maybe with Wentz healthy again they are ok with Eason or Sam as the backup.

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't think being a bad team mate is the reason either.   

It must be something though.   He was on the team all last year and should know the playbook much better than any other QB on the team.   Got the bulk of the snaps in training camp and preseason this year.  I thought he was a shoo in for the back up role.   

That is a good point.  Eason was on the team all of last season and studied with Rivers as well.

I know Frank's offense is very complex but there shouldn't be any excuse over a year in and still not know the playbook.

Are we not leaving any room for the simplest explanation?

Maybe Eason is good, as the Colts have stated. Maybe Ehlinger is good, as the Colts have stated. But at this time, Hundley is better than both? And therefore, he has earned the back up role?

1 minute ago, Flash7 said:

Maybe Eason is good, as the Colts have stated. Maybe Ehlinger is good, as the Colts have stated. But at this time, Hundley is better than both? And therefore, he has earned the back up role?

That is probably the answer.   Which goes back to Eason not impressing the coaching staff enough.  

7 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

With Sam coming back though Hundley will either need to be cut again or someone has to be cut. Seems keeping 4 QB with even one on the PS like a lot.

But there could be some truth to this because they were bringing Hundley in before Wentz got hurt. Maybe Hundley is just now catching up to the playbook.

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Stephen Holder and For the Colture boys both saying it had to do with grasping the playbook tells me that is what it was. With two sources saying that who aren’t connected it pretty much verified that is what it is. We just don’t know if it’s because of work ethic or just not a high enough IQ. I don’t think it is anything to do with being disruptive. He is good friends with Pittman off the field. 

I believe all of the players take a wunderlick test, I believe that's what it's called, to check on their IQ.  If a team is contemplating drafting a QB I would think they would have to meet a minimum for the position.  So the grasping the playbook reason seems pretty far fetched to me.  Hundley is a veteran who has played a lot.  Of course he is going to grasp the playbook faster.  I think it's just that Reich might be leaning more towards the experience factor now.  As long as Wentz continues to improve and stays healthy I think Sam goes to the practice squad and we eventually keep Eason as the number two and keep protecting Hundley every week.  I believe Eason has more potential than Sam and therefore might not make it to the practice squad. 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I believe all of the players take a wunderlick test, I believe that's what it's called, to check on their IQ.  If a team is contemplating drafting a QB I would think they would have to meet a minimum for the position.  So the grasping the playbook reason seems pretty far fetched to me.  Hundley is a veteran who has played a lot.  Of course he is going to grasp the playbook faster.  I think it's just that Reich might be leaning more towards the experience factor now.  As long as Wentz continues to improve and stays healthy I think Sam goes to the practice squad and we eventually keep Eason as the number two and keep protecting Hundley every week.  I believe Eason has more potential than Sam and therefore might not make it to the practice squad. 

Maybe that’s why he fell to the 4th. There were rumors in the 2020 draft that he did not do well in interviews. 

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Maybe that’s why he fell to the 4th. There were rumors in the 2020 draft that he did not do well in interviews. 

And Sam fell to the 6th.  Now maybe they view Sam and Eason as being pretty equal right now.  Then they could elevate Hundley and waive both Sam and Eason and see which one makes it through waivers.  Maybe they both do.  But if not the one that does goes on the practice squad.  If they both make it they get to choose.  

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

And Sam fell to the 6th.  Now maybe they view Sam and Eason as being pretty equal right now.  Then they could elevate Hundley and waive both Sam and Eason and see which one makes it through waivers.  Maybe they both do.  But if not the one that does goes on the practice squad.  If they both make it they get to choose.  

Except with Sam it makes sense because he doesn’t have the best arm. A QB with Easons arm and size doesn’t fall like that unless there is something else going on.

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Except with Sam it makes sense because he doesn’t have the best arm. A QB with Easons arm and size doesn’t fall like that unless there is something else going on.

Yeah but Zak fell into the 4th rd. too.  So some players just take longer to develop for a number of different reasons.  Just human nature I guess. 

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Yeah but Zak fell into the 4th rd. too.  So some players just take longer to develop for a number of different reasons.  Just human nature I guess. 

Dak doesn’t have the big intangibles like Eason. Everyone thought Eason was a late round 1st rd or 2nd rd pick. It’s clear something happened in the vetting process.  I dont think it is a coincidence that the same things being said now are the same things being said when he had to sit a year. 

6 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Dak doesn’t have the big intangibles like Eason. Everyone thought Eason was a late round 1st rd or 2nd rd pick. It’s clear something happened in the vetting process.  I dont think it is a coincidence that the same things being said now are the same things being said when he had to sit a year. 

It’s hard to get better when you are not able to play and improve.  His big intangibles are there no doubt.  But playing is when evaluations take place and not playing certainly hurt him and pushed him down the draft board.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I believe Hundley played for Mike McCarthy and if I'm not mistaken and McCarthy runs a similar offense to Frank.

So maybe that's why Hundley was able to pick up the offense faster.

These days most college qb's just run the spread which is nothing like the McCarthy/Frank offense.

Just now, PRnum1 said:

I believe Hundley played for Mike McCarthy and if I'm not mistaken and McCarthy runs a similar offense to Frank.

So maybe that's why Hundley was able to pick up the offense faster.

These days most college qb's just run the spread which is nothing like the McCarthy/Frank offense.

I believe he did mention that the week it was revealed he was taking starting snaps. I vaguely remember him saying he was familiar with the offense.

8 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Who do you guys think will be the backup Monday. If they bring Hundley back someone has to be cut. Will Eason go back to backing up Wentz since he is almost healthy? Will Sam be activated and be the backup?

Hard decision. You need a level of mobility vs Baltimore due to their high blitz and pressure %s. 

If Wentz is good health wise, they may not do anything. But it's a gamble. 

If they're going to roll the dice with Eason, they probably should have done that last week vs Miami, to preserve a week for Hundley (so we could have temped him up this week).

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Hard decision. You need a level of mobility vs Baltimore due to their high blitz and pressure %s. 

If Wentz is good health wise, they may not do anything. But it's a gamble. 

If they're going to roll the dice with Eason, they probably should have done that last week vs Miami, to preserve a week for Hundley (so we could have temped him up this week).

I did hear Wentz say they didn’t test his ankles much in practice leading up to the Miami game. Wanted them to just rest. So maybe the unknown led them to Hundley still. But Wentz looked fine. So maybe how he looked last week Eason goes back to backup. Not sure they will have seen enough from Sam with only a few practices to feel comfy.  They have one more week to evaluate him before they have to activate him.  Keeping Hundley on the PS seems like a lot of QB. Seems someone is going to have to be gone.

54 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I did hear Wentz say they didn’t test his ankles much in practice leading up to the Miami game. Wanted them to just rest. So maybe the unknown led them to Hundley still. But Wentz looked fine. So maybe how he looked last week Eason goes back to backup. Not sure they will have seen enough from Sam with only a few practices to feel comfy.  They have one more week to evaluate him before they have to activate him.  Keeping Hundley on the PS seems like a lot of QB. Seems someone is going to have to be gone.

Aside from all the current roster status, I think Hundley is the most ready-now QB regardless. They couldn't have been too sold on Eason if they drafted Sam. And Sam just has a low ceiling. Not too low for a backup type, but not high enough (like Eason) to think they might develop into a starter.

Overall, I don't really care what they do lol.. If they push Eason down to the PS, it won't bother me. If they roll with Hundley or Sam, it won't bother me lol... If Wentz goes down, our chances of winning are small regardless. I'd be much higher on Eason's chances if we had a good OL.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Aside from all the current roster status, I think Hundley is the most ready-now QB regardless. They couldn't have been too sold on Eason if they drafted Sam. And Sam just has a low ceiling. Not too low for a backup type, but not high enough (like Eason) to think they might develop into a starter.

Overall, I don't really care what they do lol.. If they push Eason down to the PS, it won't bother me. If they roll with Hundley or Sam, it won't bother me lol... If Wentz goes down, our chances of winning are small regardless. I'd be much higher on Eason's chances if we had a good OL.

Yep. As long as Wentz is healthy it doesn’t matter. Season is over if he goes down a few games anyway.

I guess it is now official , Brett Hundley is the backup going forward.

I thought they could manage the roster better, with him on the practice squad till it was obvious that a 

backup was needed.  I even learned there is a Covid rule that would have allowed him to be brought up

if a player was placed on Covid IR . 

Jacob Eason will be inactive game days or maybe even cut .   

Looks like Frank is done with Eason, first Sam started getting his reps in training camp, and now Brett Hundley jumped 

him from the practice squad.   Even today DeMichael Harris got reps at QB , probably at Eason's expense. 

I guess this topic has finally reached it's conclusion .

2 minutes ago, StartEason said:

I thought they could manage the roster better, with him on the practice squad till it was obvious that a 

backup was needed.  I even learned there is a Covid rule that would have allowed him to be brought up

Looks like Frank is done with Eason, first Sam started getting his reps in training camp, and now Brett Hundley jumped 

him from the practice squad.   Even today DeMichael Harris got reps at QB , probably at Eason's expense. 

We will probably find out next week as the 3 week window for Sam to be activated is up. It will be Sam or Eason. I don’t think we keep a 4th QB even if that 4th guy is on the PS.

6 hours ago, StartEason said:

Harris was getting reps at QB? Wow. Maybe it's because he's more athletic..... Playing the Lamar Jackson role.....

This many years into Ballard and Reich and where are we solid?

Tackle?

DE draft picks, player development?

Corner?

LB?

Safety?
 WR?

Yes there is a lot of youth so this is so much just a year of getting game experience and learning to think,  play together.

We have a lot of improving to do that is for sure. lol

Frank's backup QB Process is unimpressive. JMO

37 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

This many years into Ballard and Reich and where are we solid?

Tackle?

DE draft picks, player development?

Corner?

LB?

Safety?
 WR?

Yes there is a lot of youth so this is so much just a year of getting game experience and learning to think,  play together.

We have a lot of improving to do that is for sure. lol

Frank's backup QB Process is unimpressive. JMO

They will probably give Sam more time to develop just because he is a current draft pick.  I don't think he has franchise QB potential though.  If Wentz returns to form then we are fine with him long term.  Then I would rather sign an experienced QB as a backup and be done with it.   Maybe Hundley is that guy.   Draft or find a guy for the practice squad and let it be.  Hopefully Wentz is our guy for many years to come. 

Geezzz...we bring in a guy in to add to the practice squad and he ends up being the primary backup?  Who the heck is drafting the main backup for this team?...the cheerleaders? the janitor? the ticket seller?  It sure isn't anyone who knows anything about drafting college QBs.

4 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

Geezzz...we bring in a guy in to add to the practice squad and he ends up being the primary backup?  Who the heck is drafting the main backup for this team?...the cheerleaders? the janitor? the ticket seller?  It sure isn't anyone who knows anything about drafting college QBs.

They were going to bring  Hundley in before Wentz got injured. So somewhere along the line they wanted someone with more experience. 

This is a resounding indictment of Eason and his chances to ever make it on this roster. IMO this is a clearcut sign that Reich(and Ballard?) just don't trust him. He just lost his backup spot to a player who nobody in the league wanted who's been nothing but bad whenever he's played before as a backup and was horrible with this team in pre-season. Hundley has never shown anything to suggest he can be a successful even as a backup QB in the league and Reich picked a player we've seen fail in the past over the uncertainty of what Eason can be. 

I personally wouldn't be shocked if Eason gets cut either by the end of this season or just doesn't make the roster next off-season. 

It's also a capitulation and admission of failure from the management of this team in regards to the backup QB spot. Right now we have 4 QBs on the roster and it's obvious that it's not because we love them all... but rather - it's because we don't trust any of them and the coaching staff is throwing excrements at the wall hoping something sticks. 

I agree with the previous poster, and I just say that currently Colts have backup QBs in name only. 

I can’t see any of them playing well enough to win a game if Wentz can’t play. Then the question is why waste the time and money on them, it’s like you don’t have them.

I miss the days when Matt Hasselbeck used to be our backup QB.

Archived