Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training Camp Day 19 (8/24)

Restinpeacesweetchloe

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Not putting you down, but that sounds more like a fantasy world.  Sam isn't as fast as Hill, and D's will know they only have to pass defend a portion of the field.  I'll be surprised if they even set up Hill type packages for him.

He ran stuff like that in college a lot. Its certainly not unrealistic. His legs are his strength.

30 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Let's not forget that on consecutive plays versus the Bills in the playoff loss he picked Josh Allen, playing boundary corner......both plays were negated by penalties on other defensive teammates.....

He's been playing boundary corner his whole life as an undersized corner, he's used to it and if he can cover, who cares about his strength.

Kenny Moore played more FS/SS in college and roamed around the field a lot, as he does in his role as a Nickel Back for us - again, he was used to playing like that.

The first "pick" was Allen just heaving it up after he got Turay to jump. It was already a dead ball and a pass Allen would have never made otherwise. 

The second "pick" wasn't a pick because he dropped it. And there was no penalty.

Two snaps (in a game where he had 5 snaps) doesn't prove anything. At 5'9" 170 lbs, he's going to struggle against bigger WRs.

Look at the types of CBs they have brought in...Rock (physical), Rhodes (big and physical), Carrie (big and physical), Tell (tall and long), Holton Hill (tall and long)...and then you have Kenny Moore (the nickel CB).

1 hour ago, Flash7 said:

Respectfully, I would have to disagree here. 

The throw that Sam made to Vaughns was over the shoulder of Vaughs, away from the defender. It was placed only where the receiver had a chance to make the catch. The same scenario on the throw to Black. you can see those throws in this video.

I also think that the pass from Eason was more of a 50/50 ball than any throw made by Ehlinger, however, this could be my own bias on how I see things. You can see that video here.

One thing Sam has going for him is accuracy.  He can (not always does) place it in the only spot a receiver can do it.  On the flip side, he had that one bad pass when the receiver ran the wrong route, and he is short :( . His second game was not so stellar, yet he set his team up for the same amount of field goals as Eason, despite the turnovers.  It’s not so cut and dry for me who should be the back up.  Yes, Eason has the stronger arm, but there’s more to it than that, IMHO.

38 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

One thing Sam has going for him is accuracy.  He can (not always does) place it in the only spot a receiver can do it.  On the flip side, he had that one bad pass when the receiver ran the wrong route, and he is short :( . His second game was not so stellar, yet he set his team up for the same amount of field goals as Eason, despite the turnovers.  It’s not so cut and dry for me who should be the back up.  Yes, Eason has the stronger arm, but there’s more to it than that, IMHO.

You might be surprised but eason’s accuracy has been close to the same and even a little better while getting down the field more.

5 hours ago, stitches said:

Damn, I thought we might get something for Pineiro too... Oh well, we are probably doing him a solid so he can go compete for a spot elsewhere before pre-season camps are over. Cheers to him and props for providing great competition for Blankenship. :thmup::cheers:

Colts do him a favor, he can look for his own deal anywhere. Colts had no leverage in a trade because Hot Rod was going to be the guy anyway.

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Not putting you down, but that sounds more like a fantasy world.  Sam isn't as fast as Hill, and D's will know they only have to pass defend a portion of the field.  I'll be surprised if they even set up Hill type packages for him.

Hence the "budget" comment.  Could have used poor man, broke version....etc.  but that was supposed to insinuate a slower, less athletic, version of the same style.... Ergo. Budget, to Hill's brand name version.

2 hours ago, Walkingbear4343 said:

One quarterback throws just about every throw has hard as he can the other throws with touch. Glad the coaching staff disagrees with you. Sam threw a 58 at his pro day.

Ok....here we go again.  Eason can throw with touch and does.  He just needs to do it more.  

54 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Tomorrow we have one more training camp day. Apparently according to a poster in here it is only open to season ticket holders and the media.

Thanks for keeping track of things at camp for the rest of us!

3 hours ago, shasta519 said:

So does Kenny Moore. From what I recall, they have similar wingspans. And as good as Moore is in the slot, he can't play the boundary. It's not just height, it's also strength.

I think Rodgers can definitely have a role on the defense, but I doubt it will be on the boundary. But who knows.

Yes , his slight build is also an issue . He's had an up and down camp but appears to be making a lot of plays lately. He for sure makes the team but I agree with you that his role is not a definitive one at this point in time. I would think he at least has value when we are protecting a lead and the opposition has to throw on most downs.

I have a odd question. With Wentz back you can see how excited and energized the WR are. You can tell they have a ton of respect for him.  How does a young QB gain that same respect with a team?  I mean working hard and earning it of course is important. It kind makes me think this team really did need a vet QB like Wentz.  I am curious how they would of handled one we drafted.  

13 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I have a odd question. With Wentz back you can see how excited and energized the WR are. You can tell they have a ton of respect for him.  How does a young QB gain that same respect with a team?  I mean working hard and earning it of course is important. It kind makes me think this team really did need a vet QB like Wentz.  I am curious how they would of handled one we drafted.  

It would depend on how the new QB handled themselves in meetings/practices

Archived