Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question About Manning Vs Leaf & Luck Vs Griffin

For those of you that followed the draft closely during the time of the Manning vs Leaf debates, how similar is Luck vs Griffin to that?

In 1998 were the Colts still saying that they were undecided between Manning and Leaf up until the draft, or did they make it known that Manning was the choice early on?

For those of you that followed the draft closely during the time of the Manning vs Leaf debates, how similar is Luck vs Griffin to that?

In 1998 were the Colts still saying that they were undecided between Manning and Leaf up until the draft, or did they make it known that Manning was the choice early on?

They didnt make the pick public till the draft

I'm interested to know this as well - I have absolutely 0 actual experience of Manning vs Leaf but from my current knowledge I know it follows a similar pattern in that Manning was assumed for a while to be number 1 until the last year/few months where suddenly Leaf emerged as the "fashionable" pick, much like this situation. I have no idea how accurate this is, it's just what I've picked up from scattered readings.

if you go on youtube, and youtube "ryan leaf biggest draft bust ", it should pop up a video of ryan leaf from nfl.com and they actually talk about the manning debate, and they said that manning was more polished but leaf was viewed as having the bigger upside, peyton was more mature as well. they said leaf actually missed a meeting that he had with the colts, so i think some of the stuff is sorta the same. but i think its just a coincidence of course.

It is similar and I read an article recently where they said that the decision went right down to the end at draft day. Will try to find it, think it was by Polian, front office was split pretty 50/50 going into the last week before the draft.

It is similar and I read an article recently where they said that the decision went right down to the end at draft day. Will try to find it, think it was by Polian, front office was split pretty 50/50 going into the last week before the draft.

I think BP had a good idea that Manning would be the choice early on, especially when Leaf did a no-show at the interview with the Colts.

I am hoping that Grigson has a good idea that Luck will be the choice early on as well, especially when RG3 did a "no thank you" to the private workout request by the Colts.

I've heard conflicting things about it. I've heard some people say the pick was actually really close between the two and I've heard other say the decision wasn't as close as people think. The problem was Leaf's attitude. He was very immature; it doesn't look like RG3 will have that problem.

I saw Polian talk about it where he explained the flow. Originally everyone was for Peyton. Then after scouting them, the Scouts liked Leaf more. But what Polian said really surprised him is that Manning had a better arm than Leaf, which surprised him. What really seperated them was the interviews with the teams and how they broke down things. It didn't help Leaf blew them off. So my understand is that about a month before the draft, they knew Manning would be the pick. However, they left it until the draft to create some excitement for a team that needed it at the time.

So I think the Luck/RGIII situation is very similar, but I am guessing isn't as close. I do believe that Irsay has locked on Luck since Day 1. Polian has said he thinks Irsay wants Luck. So I really don't see any movement. I do think that Irsay likes to create more drama again, so therefore it is being left until as long as possible.

I will add one more thing on that as I have followed the draft since it first came on ESPN and watch everything I could leading to the 1998 draft. I could not believe, at the time, they were mentioning them in the same breath. Manning was a four year starter at Tennessee, where Leaf was like a year and a half. I didn't think they were in the same league. And I honestly feel the same way about Luck/RGIII. I really can't believe there is even a debate. I rate Luck so far about RGIII. In fact, I think there is a 50% chance RGIII will be a flat out bust like Leaf.

Manning/Leaf was a lot closer than Luck/RG3

It was pretty obvious it was going to be Luck since what? When the Colts didn't have a win yet? Remember suck or luck and I recall seeing fake Luck jerseys in the stands. Irsay lets 'Andrew' slip in an interview not too long ago. And yes its 99.9% going to be Luck. I think RG3 is much better than Leaf though but the gap is bigger here.

Actually late in the season it was Luck vs. trading the pick vs. trading Manning for picks just from what I was reading here on the forums. I could be wrong. It wasn't until the cap gurus here explained to me and others that trading Manning would be cap suicide. It also seems like most fans are for Luck and only a handful really like RG3.

I think the main difference is that Ryan Leaf, with his character issues, is in a category of his own when it comes to a hot shot college QB turning into fool's gold. Even Jamarcus Russell.... who was a bigger bust dollar-wise than Leaf.... wasn't the crackpot Leaf is, he was just fat and lazy.

Now.... Polian understandably never made a habit of sharing a lot of details about his draft selection process, but over time it became clear that Manning and Leaf separated themselves during the draft process with Peyton showing great intangibles and early evidence of his remarkable work ethic.... and Leaf going in the opposite direction, showing a great arm but at the same time also waving a hurricane warning flag.... nevermind intangibles. And sure enough.... he melted down.

There do seem to be some similarities with Andrew Luck and RGIII as far as the systems they played in and their readiness for the NFL.

But I don't think RGIII is anywhere near the miscreant Ryan Leaf was.... although his refusal to do a private workout for us was more than a little curious. Unlike Luck, who deflects a lot of the accolades and praise....it almost feels like Griffin is starting to buy his own hype... which has been pumped quite heavily the last month or so. Or maybe its just supreme confidence, who knows?

Oh well.... if he's a problem he's gonna be Shanahan and Snyder's problem.... not ours.

The Colts are playing it cool with their stated for public consumption "up in the air" decision making process.

Andrew Luck has been playing it equally cool with his interview with Rick Reilly with all those "ifs".

I think it would be a good idea for the Colts management to tell Luck that they will be drafting him sooner rather than later if they haven't done so already. They don't need to make it public. This way it will allow Mr. Irsay to bask in whatever media attention there is, and allow Luck some surety and comfort.

If I were Luck, I would take it as a slap in the face if the team continues to say they are still up in the air with their decision making process after I worked out for them per their private workout request, and my nearest competitor did not. I may begin to feel uncomfortable about the Colts and think about the alternative moves I can make that are within my control (Eli, Elway).

If I were Luck, I would take it as a slap in the face if the team continues to say they are still up in the air with their decision making process after I worked out for them per their private workout request, and my nearest competitor did not.

Yes, but for all we know the contract has already been hammered out and it's pro forma on draft day.

Yes, but for all we know the contract has already been hammered out and it's pro forma on draft day.

I realize contracts are straightforward. That wasn't my point.

I hope Colts management have told Luck that he is their choice.

It think that would go a long way, even if it is not announced publicly.

I seem to remember that Manning knew he was the pick ahead of time.

I don't remember how long before the draft, but I don't think it was hours or days.

i seem to remember it was longer.

I liked what I saw with RG3 in gruden's "camp".

However, I'm not crazy about the dancin', excessive joking around during games, etc.

Luck is more the professional, like manning was.

It looks to me like RG3 will be more of the "out on the town" type.

I like the kid and really hope he does well. He's got great skills and has great upside. However, I think his potential for a "downside" , if you will, is greater than Luck's.

He's just not the overall package of a QB that I would take when Luck is available.

But like everyone else here, I'm no expert at evaluating potential.

Undecided Frog; I think BP had a good idea that Manning would be the choice early on, especially when Leaf did a no-show at the interview with the Colts. I am hoping that Grigson has a good idea that Luck will be the choice early on as well, especially when RG3 did a "no thank you" to the private workout request by the Colts.

Actually Leaf did interview and when both were asked what they would do if selected, manning said, "If you domt pick me I'll kick your butt for the next 10 years. But I'll work hard, train hard, and be a leader" (this was actually on the Colts Americas Game episode)

Leaf said " Im not going to lie, if probably spend the first week paying in vegas"! and he actually did. (the lead thing was on NFL Networks top 10 draft busts- Leaf was #1 BTW

Undecided Frog; I think BP had a good idea that Manning would be the choice early on, especially when Leaf did a no-show at the interview with the Colts. I am hoping that Grigson has a good idea that Luck will be the choice early on as well, especially when RG3 did a "no thank you" to the private workout request by the Colts.

Actually Leaf did interview and when both were asked what they would do if selected, manning said, "If you domt pick me I'll kick your butt for the next 10 years. But I'll work hard, train hard, and be a leader" (this was actually on the Colts Americas Game episode)

Leaf said " Im not going to lie, if probably spend the first week paying in vegas"! and he actually did. (the lead thing was on NFL Networks top 10 draft busts- Leaf was #1 BTW

Leaf was interviewed at the Combine, but missed his private interview set up with the Colts afterwards. Apparently, he missed it without informing the Colts that he would be missing it.

http://www.usatoday....Leaf/53400044/1

Manning/Leaf was a lot closer than Luck/RG3

It was pretty obvious it was going to be Luck since what? When the Colts didn't have a win yet? Remember suck or luck and I recall seeing fake Luck jerseys in the stands. Irsay lets 'Andrew' slip in an interview not too long ago. And yes its 99.9% going to be Luck. I think RG3 is much better than Leaf though but the gap is bigger here.

Actually late in the season it was Luck vs. trading the pick vs. trading Manning for picks just from what I was reading here on the forums. I could be wrong. It wasn't until the cap gurus here explained to me and others that trading Manning would be cap suicide. It also seems like most fans are for Luck and only a handful really like RG3.

I disagree. I feel that these two current QB's are far closer in ability and mind than Manning/Leaf.

I disagree. I feel that these two current QB's are far closer in ability and mind than Manning/Leaf.

Agreed, The Colts would be far better off with RGIII than they would've been with Leaf. No comparison when it comes to that.

I've also seen something out of Mora about how the chance to coach Manning was one of the main selling points on taking the job.

Of course he also said Manning was the best QB at the Saints facility when he was in his teens and working out there.

It is clear Irsay likes drama.